Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

farmerman

Sat 21 Oct, 2006 02:27 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sat 21 Oct, 2006 02:30 pm
spendius wrote:
A public debate is not conducted between people who agree with each other. It is the audience that is of prime importance.

"The Audience" as primary importance is a conceit only of those as fancy themselves performers, not applicable to those engaged in functioning as substantive participants

Quote:
That you two continually castigate your opponents in the ungentlemanly manner you do, which obviously implies self-praise for your own position, will be noted by anybody with a degree of perspicacity, as will your continuous repetitive tone, constant use of smear tactics and total refusal to answer any point raised.

That you continually attempt to portray your participation in these discussions as substantive and topical though offering no substantive, topical commentary, all the while bemoaning and mischaracterizing the rightful scorn and criticism your inanities receive, unambiguously identifies you as a performer, a poseur, not a constructivist participant.

Quote:
The debate can only be about social consequences as the science is obvious, simple and irrefutable as has been readily conceded.

Case in point. You simultaneously acknowledge there is no debate to be had and attempt to frame an irrelevant debate on your own terms.

Quote:
The science, for example, a minor one chosen for discretion, is supposed to give insurance companies the power to determine the approximate age of death of those whose lives it insures. Were that science to be fully exploited insurance premiums would be no different from a money box with storage charges.

No idea how this from you might be relevant to the discussion at hand, but I submit that the insurance industry precisely is " ... no different from a money box with storage charges" ... that in a nutshell is how and why it works.

Quote:
There are many areas of science which legislation has seen fit to mitigate for no other reason than the fear of the social consequences

That such may be so is not at dispute, and that it be incorrect and unacceptable is no less applicable today than was it in Gallileo's day.

Quote:
and I can tell from your contributions that you have no knowledge of those of them which have not been mentioned in the literature you have read.

You infer much from very little, and often, as in this particular, purport to infer the nonexistant from the unpresented, your allegation being contraindicated by recorded fact and by the fact that declaring what another may or may not have read is a matter of precision beyond the capabilities of the resources available to you.

Quote:
That many people fear science, and especially its rigid applications, is amply justified by the general tone of those on here who supposedly speak for it, which they don't. One would be sensible to have grave reservations about the future if you two bombastic poltroons were in charge of it and your principles were put into practice.
You are supposed to serve the nation by getting on with your science and leaving the decisions on its uses to those elected to that responsibilty.

Now, there's an amusing example both of red herring and straw man, neatly illustrating the sum and substance of the entire body of your interactions in this and kindred discussions on thes boards.

Quote:
Meredith wrote-

"The sentimentalist is he who would enjoy without incurring the immense debtorship for a thing done."

You have no responsibility in the matter and thus no right to preach on it.

And don't say I preach because I don't. I simply defend the status quo and accept any changes those who are responsible set in train.

Bullshit; preaching exactly and only is what you are doing.

Quote:
Not 1% of the population would buy into your position if it was taken within a 1000 miles of where it logically leads and with nothing to stop it it would go the whole hog inexorably. You are dipping your toe into it.

It would be a singular blessing to me, and I should think others, if you would be so kind as to refrain from repeating your trite mantras.

We have them off by heart. They are emanations from an insulated box of abstract thought. The only purpose they serve at this stage is as a vehicle on which to hang a similarly trite set of insults. If others are drawn to such things so be it but they are repellant to most people, especially me, particularly on the thousandth circuit.

One readilly may imagine you presenting that bit of criticism to the visage presented by your shaving mirror.
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 21 Oct, 2006 03:33 pm
timber-

You go from this-

Quote:
Quote:
The science, for example, a minor one chosen for discretion, is supposed to give insurance companies the power to determine the approximate age of death of those whose lives it insures. Were that science to be fully exploited insurance premiums would be no different from a money box with storage charges.

No idea how this from you might be relevant to the discussion at hand, but I submit that the insurance industry precisely is " ... no different from a money box with storage charges" ... that in a nutshell is how and why it works.

to this-

Quote:
Quote:
There are many areas of science which legislation has seen fit to mitigate for no other reason than the fear of the social consequences

That such may be so is not at dispute, and that it be incorrect and unacceptable is no less applicable today than was it in Gallileo's day.

Seemingly without realising that the first answer leads to the second only by a misunderstanding of the actuarial nature of insurance companies which means they are not a money box and they do take a risk. You also show a lack of understanding of the nature of capitalism and what it would apply to insurance companies if they had foreknowledge of a premium payers likely death year. In such a case they would become money boxes and they aren't now even though they use sociological methods to try to be. The science of such a knowledge is still in its early stages and I have read of some that claims a reasonable predictive capacity. The insured would know from their premiums when they were due offed by natural processes. Such knowledge would lead some to behave rather oddly I fear.

Unless, of course, you find their use of such knowledge acceptable in which case your logic is correct. How many others find it acceptable I don't know but I shouldn't think it so many.

Quote:
"The Audience" as primary importance is a conceit only of those as fancy themselves performers, not applicable to those engaged in functioning as substantive participants

There is nothing to participate in outside social consequences. That was stated very early on in this thread's life. Maybe the first page.

I have now to-

1- Stroll down to the local for three pints with the lads and keep up to date with the gossip and the shifting trends

OR

2-Treat my dipsomania.

Cheers.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sat 21 Oct, 2006 03:56 pm
spendi, the only risk taken by insurance companies is that in the short run, reasonably unanticipable events may fall outside the predictive norms established through actuarial analysis. Prudent profit margin calculations, reinsurance, and subrogation mitigate much if not all even of that slight risk - that's capitalism in action from the standpoint of the actuarial discipline. Were you to understand science, capatalism, or insurance, that would be so clear as to be axiomatic, a post priori given.

Never the less, cheers to you as well, and do take care - really, I'd miss you around here were you to bring yourself up seriously acropper.
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 21 Oct, 2006 05:53 pm
As I would you 2 timber old son.

Hey- Struggling home from the pub against a powerful headwind I suddenly realised that razor sharp creases on your trousers might not be quite so ridiculous as I have previously thought.

There was a lady in the pub who had a skirt on, pinky-red in colour, of about 35 years of age. She had obviously selected it off the racks. It , the skirt, was about six to eight inches above the top of the kneecaps, had a split up the back of seven point five inches according to Vic's parallax micrometer, plus or minus a smidgin, worn above unstockingned (how do you spell unstockinned?) upper-calf length black boots of not all that serious incapacitating a nature and capable of exposing portions of lower end buttock with the appropriate strategies, which were not entirely unforthcoming.

We spent most of the evening debating, scientifically of course, whether the design of this skirt, and the choice of it from the racks at some expense, was in the service of enabling her to be abled to take longer strides on her stately progress to and fro the powder room, necessitated by the 8 pints of lager she told me she had imbibed,or whether it was in the service of rendering us cynics into putty with eyeballs hanging down as low as we could get them.

The science suggested the latter explanation but we decided to keep an open mind as we would be mortified if we ran the risk of teleologising out of our own sentimentalities.

The split up the front was a god deal shorter which we eventually decided was a modern trend until she took a seat opposite after which we got into some short term revisionism.

It beats bat fossils by some distance
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sat 21 Oct, 2006 06:31 pm
All things in perspective - science never should be allowed to interfere with legitimate skirt appreciation whilst dilligently pubbing. Of course, skirt appreciation never should be allowed to interfere with serious imbibing, either - lose your focus at your own peril.
0 Replies

Mathos

Sun 22 Oct, 2006 12:53 pm
What are you three going to do next, kiss and make up?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sun 22 Oct, 2006 01:27 pm
What, and spoil all the fun? Not bloody likely.
0 Replies

patiodog

Sun 22 Oct, 2006 01:29 pm
Spoil my appetite, more like. I've seen timber, and I can imagine spendi.

It's enough to keep one up nights.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Sun 22 Oct, 2006 02:32 pm
Spendi

there's a girl round my local who wears different bits of denim around her upper legs.

Sometimes we reckon, a fraction shorter or longer.

No stockings or tights, but little white socks in boots.

You are wierd spendi seriously disturbed....but not alone in your observations.
0 Replies

Mathos

Sun 22 Oct, 2006 03:23 pm
:wink: I bet Spendi is ugly.
0 Replies

patiodog

Sun 22 Oct, 2006 04:03 pm
Every male of the species is deranged
And most of the women batshite crazy.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:12 am
If you could make that rhyme and scan Lazydawg you would have important poetry.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:30 am
Steve-

Don't jump the gun.

My little essay on the pink skirt was but an introduction to a chain of thought which I plan to elaborate upon fairly soon and which has direct relevance to the topic here in relation to the social consequences of an increasingly secular society. I wrote it fast while it was fresh in my mind and my next serious essay will be partly concerned with distortions of memory between the observation and the description of it and partly about the medium through which the information is necessarily warped to a greater or lesser extent.

My attention span isn't limited to the last thing said. Anyone coming on here who isn't familiar with the whole thread or the use of irony is at a serious disadvantage.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:32 am
Hey timber-

I have been listening to some recordings of Dylan's Themetime Radio Hour. Superb.
0 Replies

patiodog

Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:47 am
I neither scan nor rhyme on these damn'd boards:
I know to do so would betray a need
To be regarded widely as a dog
Of intellect and taste -- and that I'm not.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 23 Oct, 2006 09:20 am
That flows sweetly with a little practice.

It's a bit inscrutable as well.
0 Replies

smorgs

Mon 23 Oct, 2006 09:28 am
What's happened to the I.D. thread?!?

You're being nice to each other!

How mellow is it in here?

x
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 23 Oct, 2006 09:40 am
I've been in mellower places but on a scale of 1 to 10 it's about 5 or 6 with 10 being as mellow as Bocaccio's garden in the hills.

But it is unsuitable for ladies because, at bottom, they are the subject.
0 Replies

smorgs

Mon 23 Oct, 2006 09:41 am
Quote:
at bottom

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies