Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Wed 27 Sep, 2006 04:59 pm
Did anybody read that?

If anybody did they have my utmost sympathy.

If they understood it I'm lost for words and that's unusual for me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 08:28 am
Therefore, in conclusion, we have shown that Intelligent Design is dependent upon a religious worldview and , should not be taught as science.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 08:33 am
My work is done here . . .

Hey FM, where can we get some good latkes?
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 08:57 am
Weigh an anti-IDer. Would rather scran latkes (real small potatoes) than comment on Julien Offroy de La Mettrie, the founder and martyr of anti-ID.

And thinks it clever enough to make a public announcement.

Bearing reality is obviously not so easy after all.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 09:03 am
Our work is done here, spendi. Time to find a new thread.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 10:54 am
LATKES MUST BE MADE IN A SMOKE FILLED ROOM Never bought, they lose taste and crispnes soon after cooling,
Can I trust you with a recipe set or does ehbeth need to translate?
Theres the kosher v non-kosher kind. They both taste pretty much the same. Ill look .
Agree, this thread has had a good run.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:24 am
Speak for yourself wande. Not for me.

With the evacuation of anti-IDers at the mere mention of M. La Mettrie and his most well known disciple it now becomes clear that the position taken has all along been shallow and the result of a mere prejudiced whim and the need to be out-of-step as a means of drawing attention to the self, displaying pseudo-scientific expertise and an excuse to indulge in fits of rage and junior school invective.

Don't think I didn't know why the "social consequences" argument has been stepped around as if it was a pile of ordure.

Will the articles continue to appear despite you not bringing them to us anymore?

Hey- we were in the "last ditch" the other day. And now the field is clearing with white flags fluttering in the distance.

Stick to your fossils, your abstractions and your assertions. Ideal for own back yards they are.

There's a great nation to take into the future.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:31 am
Cheer up, spendi! Maybe Lola will open her cafe again.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:33 am
Shpendi, Obviously youve only just read about the old tramp otherwise youd have somehow brought it up earlier when you at least had some credibility. Now your opinion is mere saliva in a bucket
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:48 am
Ah- the little comforts of assertion.

fm- I told you during the Dover business that the defence had one hand tied behind its back and that you lot were taking advantage. And that was an understatement.

I'm all for La Mettrie and the Brave New World. Had you not even picked that up. The ancients had their anti-IDers you know.

I hardly think 104,000 views is a gob of spit.

You lot scientists!!!! I don't need cheering up when I think of that.

Not a one of you can write worth a blow on a ragman's trumpet either.

So if you are slinking off-- cheers lads.

I promise I won't mention La Mettrie again- honest. I didn't realise how much he would make you jump.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:52 am
Actually- Man a Machine is on the net. There are two paragraphs left untranslated from the French.

Perhaps Francis will do us a favour. It's sure to be sexy I should think.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 12:37 pm
What an odd little world you inhabit, spendi.
0 Replies

Francis

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 12:56 pm
Do you mean these two paragraphs?

They need a lot of thinking to translate.

La grossesse, cette émule désirée des pâles couleurs, ne se contente pas d'amener le plus souvent à sa suites le goûts dépravés qui accompagnent ces deux états: elle a quelquefois fait exécuter à l'âme les plus affreux complots; effets d'une maine subite, qui étouffe jusqu'à la loi naturelle. Ce'st ainsi que le cerveau, cette matrice de l'esprit, se pervertit à sa manière, avec celle du corps.

Quelle autre fureur d'homme ou de femme, dans ceux que la continence et la santé poursuivent! C'est peu pour cette fille timide et modeste d'avoir perdu toute honte et toute pudeur; elle ne regarde plus l'inceste, que comme une femme galante regarde l'adultère. Si ses besoins ne trouvent pas de prompts soulagements, ils ne se borneront point aux simples accidents d'une passion utérine, à la manie, etc.; cette malheureuse mourra d'un mal, dont il y a tant de médecins.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 12:59 pm
What an odd little world you inhabit timber.

Hey- this is easy. No wonder it's popular. Effortless. It's done with a flick of the wrist.

No way to run an educational system though. A failure to understand the basic position one is preaching and to assert that someone who does have a glimmer is "odd" is anti-intellectualism in its crudest form. Now that is odd.

50 million kids await such things. Do they never protest.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 01:02 pm
Thanks Francis. They are the ones. Easy to find aren't they.

Could you put them into bar-room English by any chance.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 01:26 pm
spendius wrote:
I hardly think 104,000 views is a gob of spit.

103,000 views resulted from me obsessively rechecking my own posts for spelling errors.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 01:29 pm
Oh aye!

It's actually 104,500 odd wande. A mere 1500 more than you assert.

That difference is more than most threads get before they vanish.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 01:33 pm
We could talk about flower arranging whilst we await Francis's translation.
0 Replies

real life

Fri 29 Sep, 2006 09:58 pm
farmerman wrote:
Therefore, in conclusion, we have shown that Intelligent Design is dependent upon a religious worldview and , should not be taught as science.

So you are very convinced that intelligent design is a religious view?

Let me ask you then, is it your position that it is not the province of science to advocate either for or against a religious view?
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 30 Sep, 2006 04:23 am
I have decided not to pull rl off the field after all.

M. La Mettrie, the founder of anti-IDism, certainly did advocate such a viewpoint.

He was, by all accounts, a happy and contented epicurean exuding indifference and nonchalance. He was interested in truth as an abstract idea and not as it affected society at large. Like many philosophers and scientists he had no desire to apply his results to life.

Those philosophers and scientists, if such they can be called, who do have a desire to apply their results to the life of the masses are basically aggressive self-publicists and it is notable how small their number is and how disproportionate the cacophony they raise on the strength of media's need for a dramatic story to render quasi-respectable the confused and neurotic general sex show it promotes.
0 Replies