Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Tue 19 Sep, 2006 01:57 pm
Mathos-

This thread is for intellectuals and those who aspire to join their ranks. I hope you are not thinking of beginning such a long and lonely journey at your stage of life and from such a far off starting point.
0 Replies

Mathos

Tue 19 Sep, 2006 02:35 pm
Not at all Spendi, I would be out of my depth on here with all these American academics, and one Brit running rings round them is more than they can apparently handle. We don't want them crying in their Buds now do we?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 19 Sep, 2006 03:22 pm
That we don't. I have come to rather like them in a strange sort of way.

A touch on the tiller is needed- that's all. timber has a spread out in the wilds of Wisconsin, the soil of which spawned one of my heroes, and I can hole up there he said if the need should arise. You should go there for your holidays. Shoot bear I think. A bet he wouldn't charge you more than two grand a week for you and the Missus. No germs and the **** is spread out enough for you to step round it.

They just have this bee in their bonnets about some old bones. It's nothing really.

They seem okay otherwise. fm goes fishing in the jungle in Argentina and he has a power-boat or something. I daresay he would let you drive it for $50. On a straight bit I mean. Sea fishing and all that salt spray in the eyes jazz. Teeth gritted. Right up your street.

Better than Thailand I should think. And the breakfasts. Pancake and pork-chop butties. For bloody breakfast.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 19 Sep, 2006 04:05 pm
I would love to see timber and farmerman hosting a visit from spendius and mathos. If it ever happens, please post photos!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Tue 19 Sep, 2006 05:09 pm
How about autopsy reports?
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 20 Sep, 2006 03:34 am
They are aspects of the dark side.

I'm on the side of the shining light and frisky life and running around the hayfield chasing giggling milkmaids who go to church in their bonnets every Sunday to be forgiven.

Like Steve Martin intimated- bones are for jumping on.
0 Replies

Mathos

Wed 20 Sep, 2006 07:24 am
wandeljw wrote:
I would love to see timber and farmerman hosting a visit from spendius and mathos. If it ever happens, please post photos!

If you can get Spendi over there Wandi, I will join him, it would be a classic
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 20 Sep, 2006 09:00 am
Just lemme know when you're comin' - I'll get the guestrooms ready and make sure The Puppies have plenty of toys and aren't hungry. You'll find plenty of hayfields for the frolickin'. Yer on yer own for bonnetted milkmaids, though.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 20 Sep, 2006 02:37 pm
MICHIGAN UPDATE

Quote:
DeVos: Intelligent design should be discussed in Michigan's science classes
(By KATHY BARKS HOFFMAN, ASSOCIATED PRESS, September 20, 2006)

Republican gubernatorial candidate Dick DeVos says he thinks Michigan's science curriculum should include a discussion about intelligent design.

He says teaching intelligent design along with evolution would help students discern the facts among different theories. He'd like to see local school districts be able to teach intelligent design if they choose to, although he wouldn't require that it be taught in science classes.

"I would like to see the ideas of intelligent design that many scientists are now suggesting is a very viable alternative theory," DeVos told the Associated Press this week during an interview on education. "That theory and others that would be considered credible would expose our students to more ideas, not less."

Intelligent design's proponents hold that living organisms are so complex they must have been created by a higher force rather than evolving from more primitive forms. Some want science teachers to teach that Darwin's theory of evolution is not a fact and has gaps.

However, a federal judge in December barred the school system in Dover, Pa., from teaching intelligent design alongside evolution in high school biology classes. The judge said intelligent design is religion masquerading as science and that teaching it alongside evolution violates the separation of church and state.

Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm has said that Michigan schools need to teach the established theory of evolution in science classes and not include intelligent design. She says school districts can explore intelligent design in current events or comparative religions classes.

The State Board of Education last week postponed adopting new science curriculum guidelines until state lawmakers get more time to weigh in on what the state's public schools science curriculum should be and how it should approach the teaching of evolution.

House Education Committee Chairman Brian Palmer, R-Romeo, told the board that language adopted in curriculum standards should be broader rather than narrower to allow for changes in theory.

He did not mention intelligent design, although critics such as the American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan have said some Republican lawmakers are trying to "weaken" state standards to allow some instruction about intelligent design in science classes.

The issue already has generated some controversy in Michigan. The Ann Arbor based Thomas More Law Center last year threatened to sue Gull Lake Community Schools over its policy that intelligent design can't be taught as part of science classes. The law center represented the Dover school district whose policy was struck down.

Two middle school teachers in the Gull Lake district in southwest Michigan had wanted to include intelligent design as an alternative to Darwin's theory of evolution in their classes. The district banned them from doing so.

The Gull Lake policy now leaves the door open for intelligent design to be taught as part of an elective class on controversial issues, district attorney Lisa Swem has said.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 20 Sep, 2006 03:04 pm
timber wrote-

Quote:
Yer on yer own for bonnetted milkmaids, though.

It's the same here. I was just having a nostalgia tweak to help promote your guest rooms. They do it with the butter, and a few other things, so I'm hardly out of order trying it on for your guest house.

Could you have a good blow out there without disturbing the neighbours. It isn't English to disturb the neighbours.

They sometimes promote butter in a more up-to-date way.

Guess which has the best music.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 20 Sep, 2006 03:13 pm
spendi wrote:
Could you have a good blow out there without disturbing the neighbours. It isn't English to disturb the neighbours.

Hell, you could blow up damn near anything you wanted without disturbing the neighbors. If you plan a real big explosion, it'd just be polite to let 'em know a bit in advance; some of 'em would feel slighted if not given the opportunity to be right there to enjoy the festivities.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 20 Sep, 2006 03:14 pm
wande quoted-

Quote:
Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm has said that Michigan schools need to teach the established theory of evolution in science classes

Perhaps an explanation of the very strong word "need" might be in order so that those who disagree can come to agree with it and also to avoid running the educational system on simplistic assertions.

It is a debatable point unless the Gov. says if I say there's a need there's a need and I'm Gov. i.e. Boss.

Evolution theory was not taught to me and it didn't do me any harm. Eh?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Wed 20 Sep, 2006 03:25 pm
Spendius, I don't want to be harsh, but I think you HAVE been harmed by an egregious lack of exposure to all kinds of knowledge.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 20 Sep, 2006 03:29 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Hell, you could blow up damn near anything you wanted without disturbing the neighbors. If you plan a real big explosion, it'd just be polite to let 'em know a bit in advance; some of 'em would feel slighted if not given the opportunity to be right there to enjoy the festivities.

He blowed up good . . . he blowed up real good . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 20 Sep, 2006 03:36 pm
JLN wrote-

Quote:
Spendius, I don't want to be harsh, but I think you HAVE been harmed by an egregious lack of exposure to all kinds of knowledge.

Well I must say that however that happened I am very grateful, and if it was arranged, whoever arranged it has my eternal gratitude.

I wouldn't be able to thank them all personally because there are too many of them.

I might as well be grateful anyway--there's no going back on it. But if there is a chance which particular kind of knowledge do you advise me beginning with as I surely can't be expected to take all of them on at the same time.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Wed 20 Sep, 2006 06:21 pm
Spendius, I must congratulate you on the classy way you took my snotty little swipe. I just could resist your set-up.
Embarrassed
0 Replies

Eorl

Wed 20 Sep, 2006 07:40 pm
spendius wrote:

Really ??? Never ??? Shocked I find that quite shocking (hence the emoticon) Why not? Were you taught maths and chemistry, etc?

Have you taken the time to learn about it now? (that is, other than from a non-church propaganda POV?)
0 Replies

real life

Wed 20 Sep, 2006 09:06 pm
hi Thomas,

Thomas wrote:
real life wrote:
Simply put, evolutionists use the similarity of structures in different species (homology) as 'proof' of an evolutionary link between them.

Yes, but they never base that conclusion on only one structure.

real life wrote:
(It's a type of circular reasoning: Organism A and organism B have similar eyes, therefore they are linked in the evolutionary process , i.e. they share a common ancestor or one evolved from the other.

Well, for one thing, independently evolved eyes often have structures different from each other.

Shouldn't they always?

Thomas wrote:
For example, the eyes of octopusses have a different structure than the eyes of fish: octopus eye nerves come out on the outside of the eyes, while fish eye nerves come out on the inside first, then leave the eye on one single spot. (That's a problem for the "intelligent design" hypothesis by the way: wouldn't an intelligent designer make decide which side is "right", and stick to his decision?)

Why would we assume that different organisms living in different environments and facing different challenges would all best be served by the same design of each organ, etc ?

If that were so, the most logical arrangement would be to have one species of animal. Period. It would have the ideal design of every organ and none other.

It makes perfect sense for a designer to utilize multiple designs to meet various conditions, doesn't it?

Since a bear and a stingray live in different conditions, they need different features (one needs heavy fur, the other does not); and they need similar features (eyes, stomach, etc) customized for their situation.

Thomas wrote:
Anyway, my point is that when genetically unrelated species evolve similar features independently, you can often see it in distinctive differences in those features.

Again, shouldn't that be always?

Thomas wrote:
real life wrote:
How do we prove that Organism A and organism B have an evolutionary link? Well, their eye structure is similar. )

This would be circular reasoning if taxonomist relied on one feature only -- but they never do. Even where evolutionary convergence has produced similar eyes, the animals will have differing features in other organs.

It is interesting to see you invoke 'convergence' to try to explain why homology is selectively and arbitrarily applied as a criteria, but it's not very convincing.
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 21 Sep, 2006 12:54 am
real life wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Well, for one thing, independently evolved eyes often have structures different from each other.

Shouldn't they always?

Not necessarily. Contrary to what ID people say, evolution isn't implementing any predetermined specification. Instead it is selecting organisms to solve engineering problems. If a problem has a variety of solutions that work, there's no reason why the diversity of organisms shouldn't reflect this wiggle room.

real life wrote:
Why would we assume that different organisms living in different environments and facing different challenges would all best be served by the same design of each organ, etc ?

We wouldn't -- but for purposes of seeing, fishes and octopusses live in the same environment, not in different ones. Nevertheless, octopusses have their eyes wired the "right" way, whereas fishes have them wired the "wrong" way just like us.

real life wrote:
It is interesting to see you invoke 'convergence' to try to explain why homology is selectively and arbitrarily applied as a criteria, but it's not very convincing.

In that case, I refer you to Dawkins' Blind Watchmaker, chapter 10. It describes the relation between evolutionary biology and taxonomy, explains it more thoroughly than I do, and probably explains it better than I do, too.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 21 Sep, 2006 05:16 am
Eorl wrote-

Quote:
spendius wrote:

Really ??? Never ??? I find that quite shocking (hence the emoticon) Why not? Were you taught maths and chemistry, etc?

I meant at school as I thought the context made clear. The discussion is ,or was, about schools.

But the anti-IDers on here assert that I know nothing about evolutionary thoery and they are scientists so they must be right I suppose. I never dispute the facts.
0 Replies