Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

rosborne979

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:07 pm
KuRmA wrote:
Considering the code of the DNA as a complex software which controls all the activities of the cells, if you cannot show within reasonable probability how it could be produced by chance interaction of amnio acids then it can be taken as evidence of intelligence behind the design.

Just because we can't explain something, doesn't mean it's intelligently designed.

The lack of an explanation for something, isn't evidence of intelligent design, it's only evidence of a lack of knowledge or understanding.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:26 pm
timber-

Does all life on earth stem from one starting point?

Quote:
and given that life arose here, the only objective, logical, evidence-based conclusion to be drawn is that the natural state of the universe is such that the development life is no more improbable than is the formation of galaxies, stars, and planetary systems out of gas clouds.

Obviously that is the only conclusion to be drawn by those for whom , for whatever reason, the objective, logical evidence-based conclusion is the only one they can imagine. Which makes the position tautological.

And thus limiting.

One of the advantages of other possibilities is that it is open ended and given to flights of fancy without which the objective observer ( you in your less sophisticated moments) only coming to conclusions on logically based evidence of 50,000 years ago (say) would have noted that this flipping cave floor is a bit lumpy and still would be now in 2006 although it was a later Church which invented 2006 I'll admit.

When life began was it in just one place. Why are there not as many beginnings as there are galaxies etc. Why is there not an A-Z of nucleic acids or something else? Did evolution weed out all but one or two. To the first life form New York was another galaxy from that swamp. Would conditions never in millions of years have been the same in New York as they were in that swamp even if only for as long as it takes to post from submitting, which varies a bit.

And people want bloody answers. And until you give them to their satisfaction, i.e. in language they can understand and don't feel cut out of, they will turn to others for answers and something religious is the only other answer.The alternative is no answer. And a proper priesthood is profoundly aware of the strength of the need for an answer and, like any self-respecting beer salesman in the Sahara Desert at high noon, has a sense of high dignity. The Catholic Church's mere presence is enough to measure that need. It was a street-fighting gang once. It's monumental nature testifies that it is the market leader in the Western world at answers provision and the selling technique is the main thing in a rabid marketplace.

Get your facts and sell them. Not just among yourselves who know the esoteric ABCs. Sell them to us ID-iots who, lest you forget, can outvote you 10 to 1. You even use "our" music to make your science programmes look good. Sibelius and Space Odyssey?I ask you? He was a bang-at-it ID-iot don't you know?

It was a bunch of funny shaped tin-bashers work swinging on thin strings without the music. The illusion won't work without the music. Look at the shower scene in Psycho. Was that the sound of your side's song? Woman cast loose to objective, logical, evidence-based conclusions where art is laughed at because it has no objective,logical,evidence for its validity in the eyes of those who base their conclusions only on objective, logical observations; as might be expected. Obviously.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:32 pm
Some very interesting reading- your last post, spendius.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:55 pm
timber wrote-

Quote:
assaying to assign causality to some independent, supernatural, external-to-the-universe thing, condition, or state of being,

Well- I'm not doing that. In the zone of possibility lies the human sense to wonder and of wonder and I'm at odds with those who seek to persuade an educational system to deny that possibility because doing so denies the human sense to wonder and of wonder. That would have them staring blankly ahead like they do in busy city streets. Anybody who doesn't deny that possibility is on my side whether they know it or not. It's a spacious landscape with wide vistas to left and right. Denying it is a fine tube.

It's another social consequence question.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 02:50 pm
Science also pursues this sense of wonder. What is your point, spendius?
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 03:01 pm
snood,

Yeah. I found it interesting too. I was making it up as I went along like Setanta says I do. I was tempted to go quite a bit further with it as the bits kept slotting in. In the last paragraph I mean which I presume you picked out. I was running films and books and music through my head.There is a literary and artistic tradition herein. Were Kubrick and Hitchcock making a similar point in different ways. And was the ending of Psycho a cop-out. Or a vague hope. That She doesn't disappear without trace. Everybody knows both those two soundtracks. Why? It was interesting. It still is. Was it me who said it? ID music on science toys and anti-ID music on heroine demise in sordid circumstances. Odd. It's as if they are saying that women have to suffer for the greater glory of logical positivism. Then-were they right? Remember Hayden in Strangelove.

Have you seen Alphaville?

I've been trying to understand art since I was a kid and I thought I had it cracked a while ago but this thread, this site, has vastly improved the magnification. Along with the pub of course. And much else.

Very similar to a pub. In the future who knows. A big screen so we can see each other, a tickling stick device with a range of options in the chair (Only $399.99) and a beer pump much like the water tap in the kitchen.

No sound though except background musak. Otherwise our literary skills would begin perishing and it would sound like how they make the radiations from a distant galaxy sound on TV only louder. Sound only for pms.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:52 am
timberlandko wrote:
Now, if you wish to wrap yourself in the comfort of anthropic arrogance through assaying to assign causality to some independent, supernatural, external-to-the-universe thing, condition, or state of being, fine, go right ahead; there is a "chance" that is so, however slight the probability. Please, though, don't attempt to dignify any such notion through implying it has any logical, scientific basis.

This is, of course, the crux of the biscuit. Leaving aside the propensity for begging the question of probability (i don't intend to go on for pages attempting to get someone to acknowledge probability), this member wishes to have his intellectual cake and eat it, too. Unless and until someone provides both a description of and evidence for a designer, such a putative designer can only be considered supernatural, and science concerns itself with the natural, taking no notice of the supernatural.

Therefore, in the terms of the thread, "intelligent design" is not demonstrated to be science by reference to conceptual hebetude with regard to probabilities.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 12 Sep, 2006 07:06 am
ebrown_p wrote in the first response to wande's original question-

Quote:
Yes there is a consensus in the scientific community.

By scientific community I mean all conventional scientific organizations which accept the scientific process (for example publishing in peer reviewed journals) which encompasses the great majority of scientists.

The consensus is that Intelligent Design is not scientifically valid.

His point has been repeated on occasion. I don't think it necessary to keep bringing it up. I think we all accept it. I do.

Setanta must go around telling everybody what they already know over and over again like the pub bores do.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 12 Sep, 2006 07:42 am
Setanta was addressing the assertions of someone new to this thread. That person had stated that they did not have time to go back and read the earlier parts of the thread.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 12 Sep, 2006 08:28 am
Not even page 1.

Anybody who hasn't time to read the intro hasn't time to bother reading anything else it seems to me.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 12 Sep, 2006 08:54 am
U.S. CONGRESS UPDATE

Quote:
War Vets Call on Americans to Urge Congress to Preclude Attacks on Veterans Memorials
(American Legion Press Release, 9/12/2006)

Following markup of a bill by the House Judiciary Committee last week that would stop courts from awarding taxpayer dollars in attorney's fees in litigation against religious symbols on veterans memorials, the leader of the nation's largest wartime veterans organization today called on all Americans to urge their congressman and senators to pass it and a companion measure in the Senate.

"With only 18 legislative days left in this Congress before the election recess, I ask every American that cherishes the religious heritage given to us by our Founding Fathers to take a minute today to call their Congressman and both Senators," said American Legion National Commander Paul A. Morin. "Legal attacks against veterans memorials that display religious symbols must not be rewarded by judges reaching into taxpayer pockets to enlarge the coffers of organizations such as the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) to encourage more lawsuits against our traditions and memorials."

HR 2679, the Public Expression of Religion Act introduced by Rep. John Hostettler and its companion piece in the Senate introduced by Sen. Sam Brownback as S. 3696, the "Veterans' Memorials, Boy Scouts, Public Seals, and Other Public Expressions of Religion Protection Act of 2006," (PERA) would amend U.S. statutes to eliminate the chilling effect on the constitutionally protected expression of religion by state and local officials that results from the threat that potential litigants may seek damages and attorney's fees.

The American Legion has fought for passage of this reform legislation since the ACLU sued the Mojave Desert WWI Veterans Memorial and obtained a federal judge's order to destroy the solitary cross at that veterans' memorial. The ACLU then sought, and received, $63,000 from that same judge as an attorney fee award -- although neither the ACLU nor its mascot plaintiff -- had any actual attorney fees. The $63,000 went directly into ACLU coffers as profit.

Most Americans remain unaware the ACLU and other organizations have been reaping millions of dollars in taxpayer-paid attorney's fees from lawsuits against veterans memorials, the Boy Scouts, the public display of the Ten Commandments and other symbols of America's religious heritage. In recent testimony to the Senate, Rees Lloyd, former ACLU attorney and Department of California District 21 Commander, provided these examples of ACLU awards of taxpayer money: Approximately $950,000 in attorney fees was awarded to the ACLU in a settlement with the City of San Diego in its lawsuit to drive the Boy Scouts out of Balboa Park. In the Judge Roy Moore Ten Commandments case, the ACLU received $500,000. In a recent "Intelligent Design" case against a school board, the ACLU received $2 million in attorney fees by order of a judge -- although the law firm that represented the ACLU informed the court and public that it had acted pro bono and waived any attorney fees; these fees were pure profit to the ACLU.

"If the ACLU feels it has to bring lawsuits that most Americans abhor, it should at least have the decency not to assess these to the taxpayers to make a profit," Morin said. "We are calling on our representatives in the House and Senate to sponsor and support PERA, bring it to the floor for a vote, or explain why they will not. I ask my fellow Americans to join us in this effort."

I highlighted certain parts of the above article. Proponents of the legislation are citing the Dover case as an example. Proponents also hope for a vote in Congress before the November elections take place.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Tue 12 Sep, 2006 09:10 am
wandeljw wrote:
U.S. CONGRESS UPDATE

Quote:
War Vets Call on Americans to Urge Congress to Preclude Attacks on Veterans Memorials
(American Legion Press Release, 9/12/2006)

In the Judge Roy Moore Ten Commandments case, the ACLU received $500,000.

Good. They should have received more. What a basket case that guy was.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 12 Sep, 2006 09:12 am
I told you Dover was a pickpocketing operation. No wonder the ACLU make a lot of noise.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 12 Sep, 2006 03:35 pm
OHIO UPDATE

Quote:
Panel puts off debate on teacher guidelines
(Cathy Candisky, THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH, September 12, 2006)

The Ohio Board of Education has drawn national attention and thousands of e-mails in recent weeks regarding proposals to give teachers guidelines for handling controversial subjects such as evolution.

Despite the intense interest, a board committee scheduled to debate the issue yesterday declined to do so after spending hours on other topics.

"We've run out of time," said James L. Craig, co-chairman of the board's Achievement Committee after a private consultation with board President Sue Westendorf.

The announcement came minutes after members were handed copies of a "Framework for Teaching Controversial Issues."

Critics say the plan is another attempt by creationists to undermine Darwin's theory of evolution and inject religion into science classrooms. Evolution, stem-cell research, global warming and other subjects that have been mentioned are not controversial in a scientific sense, the critics say.

Privately, several board members say they support an immediate vote so debate can end. The proposals, they say, are unnecessary and divisive and draw attention from more important topics.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 12 Sep, 2006 03:47 pm
In the past, at the request of FM, i have posted both Ohio Department of Education guidelines and links to their web site. The article misleads in suggesting that there is anything new in ODE setting guidelines for curricula--it is one of their organizational mandates, and a few years ago i posted that portion of their guidelines which clearly stated that teachers are not required to teach or test for "intelligent design."

This appears to me to be a rather sensationalized account. ODE board meetings have consistently for many years put the "intelligent design" issue on the back burner, and rather cleverly, i'd say. The ODE board has consistently resisted the inclusion of "intelligent design" in their curriculum guidelines, and often their tactic has been to postpone discussion until public attention wanes, and then to quickly come down hard on the "intelligent design" proponents and deny their insistence that it be included in their guidelines. I rather admire the careful way they have dealt with a politically-charged issue. I suspect they are just doing once again what they have successfully done for years--putting it off until the debate is enfeebled by a lack of public interest, and then deep-sixing the proposals.
0 Replies

NickFun

Tue 12 Sep, 2006 03:50 pm
Seeing as how this thread has now gone for over 700 pages I suspect there will be no quick resolution to this dilema. I just know that if the Church was still allowed to dictate science then the Earth would still be the center of the universe.
0 Replies

real life

Tue 12 Sep, 2006 04:30 pm
timberlandko wrote:
KurMa, the error which is a gaping hole in your proposition is your attribution of causality to "chance" ... chance and probability are very different things. There is a chance a coin will come up heads 100 times in a row, however, the probability of such an outcome is exceedingly low. The probability that a confluence of conditions and circumstances propitious to the formation of life is not uncommon is extremely high. Given environmental considerations for which we have no reason to expect might be exclusive to Earth, given the chemistry and physics we observe to be consistent and constant throughout the observable universe, and given that life arose here, the only objective, logical, evidence-based conclusion to be drawn is that the natural state of the universe is such that the development life is no more improbable than is the formation of galaxies, stars, and planetary systems out of gas clouds. There is nothing "chance" about it; that's the way things work. Central to your error is your focus on DNA; DNA itself most probably is the natural product of chemistry stretching back through a long chain beginning with the formation of organic molecules, peptides, proteins, and sugars, which are the precursors of RNA. A broader overview of what I'm trying to get across to you is available HERE

Now, if you wish to wrap yourself in the comfort of anthropic arrogance through assaying to assign causality to some independent, supernatural, external-to-the-universe thing, condition, or state of being, fine, go right ahead; there is a "chance" that is so, however slight the probability. Please, though, don't attempt to dignify any such notion through implying it has any logical, scientific basis.

timber,

Even the author of your article seems to admit that there is scant to no evidence that the pre-RNA world that you wish to invoke actually existed.........

Quote:
As certain as many people are that the RNA world was a crucial phase in life's evolution, it cannot have been the first. Some form of abiotic chemistry must have existed before RNA came on the scene. For the purpose of this discussion, I shall call that earlier phase "protometabolism" to designate the set of unknown chemical reactions that generated the RNA world and sustained it throughout its existence......What can we conclude from this scenario, which, though purely hypothetical, depicts in logical succession the events that must have taken place if we accept the RNA-world hypothesis? And what, if anything, can we infer about the protometabolism that must have preceded it?.........

..............he apparently is very convinced that it did. (Saying these fantasies are in 'logical succession' Ow, oh my sides hurt. Yer killin me, timber)

I thought wishful thinking, according to you, was only the province of the religious?

('We don't know HOW it happened , we just KNOW that it did' ----from the tomb of the Unknown Evolutionist Laughing In fact the author candidly admits that he has no clue how, because any chemical pathways to his Nirvana are completely unknown.)

Since life from non-life generation won't work ( he admits ) with RNA or with DNA, he speculates that there just HAD TO BE (oh please there just had to be he he) a precursor which COULD and DID spontaneously generate living organisms from dead chemicals.

I thought you were for science based on evidence?

As the author gives the altar call, his theology is fully unveiled

Quote:
I have tried here to review some of the facts and ideas that are being considered to account for the early stages in the spontaneous emergence of life on earth. How much of the hypothetical mechanisms considered will stand the test of time is not known. But one affirmation can safely be made, regardless of the actual nature of the processes that generated life. These processes must have been highly deterministic. In other words, these processes were inevitable under the conditions that existed on the prebiotic earth. Furthermore, these processes are bound to occur similarly wherever and whenever similar conditions obtain.......It also seems likely that life would arise anywhere similar conditions are found because many successive steps are involved..........All of which leads me to conclude that life is an obligatory manifestation of matter, bound to arise where conditions are appropriate.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:24 pm
rl-

Have you not worked it out yet?

It has nothing (it is a religious thread so I will refrain from colloquialisms) to do with RNA, DNA, God, life, chemicals, swamps with lightning flashes with the pH at 6.843333 (rec) in one irreducible complex of variables which needs must be admitted if it only happened once in a constantly shifting set of pressure, temperature and logistic variables over billions of years.

It has to do with reading a Reader's Digest article or watching a programme on the Discovery Channel, getting married to it because it gave you the jump on those who hadn't read the article or seen the exclusive programme and going off in front of witnesses and now being unable to back down as to do so would threaten the self respect.

Are you thick or what?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:31 pm
real life wrote:
timber wrote:
... Now, if you wish to wrap yourself in the comfort of anthropic arrogance through assaying to assign causality to some independent, supernatural, external-to-the-universe thing, condition, or state of being, fine, go right ahead; there is a "chance" that is so, however slight the probability. Please, though, don't attempt to dignify any such notion through implying it has any logical, scientific basis.

timber,

Even the author of your article seems to admit that there is scant to no evidence that the pre-RNA world that you wish to invoke actually existed.........

Quote:
As certain as many people are that the RNA world was a crucial phase in life's evolution, it cannot have been the first. Some form of abiotic chemistry must have existed before RNA came on the scene. For the purpose of this discussion, I shall call that earlier phase "protometabolism" to designate the set of unknown chemical reactions that generated the RNA world and sustained it throughout its existence......What can we conclude from this scenario, which, though purely hypothetical, depicts in logical succession the events that must have taken place if we accept the RNA-world hypothesis? And what, if anything, can we infer about the protometabolism that must have preceded it?.........

..............he apparently is very convinced that it did. (Saying these fantasies are in 'logical succession' Ow, oh my sides hurt. Yer killin me, timber)

I can just see you doubled over with maniacal laughter. That would be consistent with the stereotypical religionist reaction to anything inconvenient to the religionist proposition - "if you don't/won't/can't recognize, understand and accept it, laugh at it."

Quote:
I thought wishful thinking, according to you, was only the province of the religious?

('We don't know HOW it happened , we just KNOW that it did' ----from the tomb of the Unknown Evolutionist Laughing In fact the author candidly admits that he has no clue how, because any chemical pathways to his Nirvana are completely unknown.)

Scientific conjectures acknowleding gaps in data render a suggested hypothesis merely plausible and subject to further investigation are the absolute antithesis of the wishful thinking that is the whole of the religionist proposition.

Quote:
Since life from non-life generation won't work ( he admits ) with RNA or with DNA, he speculates that there just HAD TO BE (oh please there just had to be he he) a precursor which COULD and DID spontaneously generate living organisms from dead chemicals.

Straw man. While I have little reason to suspect you'll figure out neither how nor why your duplicitous mischaracterization creates the fallacy, I'll leave you to it.

Quote:
I thought you were for science based on evidence?

Precisely - and conjecture along plausible lines of inquiry develops evidence, one way or the other. The point is the inquiry.

Quote:
As the author gives the altar call, his theology is fully unveiled

Quote:
I have tried here to review some of the facts and ideas that are being considered to account for the early stages in the spontaneous emergence of life on earth. How much of the hypothetical mechanisms considered will stand the test of time is not known. But one affirmation can safely be made, regardless of the actual nature of the processes that generated life. These processes must have been highly deterministic. In other words, these processes were inevitable under the conditions that existed on the prebiotic earth. Furthermore, these processes are bound to occur similarly wherever and whenever similar conditions obtain.......It also seems likely that life would arise anywhere similar conditions are found because many successive steps are involved..........All of which leads me to conclude that life is an obligatory manifestation of matter, bound to arise where conditions are appropriate.

Your "altar call/theology" objection is yet another straw man. The author unambiguously differentiates between fact, fact-based finding, and plausible conjecture, logically, compellingly and validly arguing for the proposition that the emergence and development of life is not merely dependent upon but consequent to conditions and circumstances known to occur naturally throughout the observable universe irrespective of and regardless as-yet-undetermined particulars of the process. Science doesn't much give a **** concerning any metaphysical, ultimate WHY of any process, it concerns itself only with the discoverable, verifiable, proximate HOW. Only the religionist perceives this total disinterest in the metaphysical to be an "assault" on religion - the religionist's closed-ended need to believe stands in diametric opposition to science's open-ended drive to discover and understand. In short, science's open, honest thirst for understanding trumps belief's frightened, superstitious need for comfort.

The world isn't laughing with you, rl, its laughing at your proposition and the manner in which you present and defend that proposition.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Tue 12 Sep, 2006 07:17 pm
RL, you missed something in between the dots......

With the advent of RNA replication, Darwinian evolution was possible for the first time. Because of the inevitable copying mistakes, a number of variants of the original template molecules were formed. Some of these variants were replicated faster than others or proved more stable, thereby progressively crowding out less advantaged molecules. Eventually, a single molecular species, combining replicatability and stability in optimal fashion under prevailing conditions, became dominant. This, at the molecular level, is exactly the mechanism postulated by Darwin for the evolution of organisms: fortuitous variation, competition, selection and amplification of the fittest entity. The scenario is not just a theoretical construct. It has been reenacted many times in the laboratory with the help of a viral replicating enzyme, first in 1967 by the late American biochemist Sol Spiegelman of Columbia University
0 Replies