Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Setanta

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 08:42 am
KuRmA's post might properly be seen as belonging to the "Evolution? How?" thread--but are nevertheless germane to the topic of whether or not "intelligent design" constitutes religion or science. What this member attempts to suggest is that the rise of replicable amino acid molecules and the development of RNA and DNA could not be mere coincidence, but must be evidence of design, based upon a contention that the conditions on earth billions of years ago were fundamentally inimical to the formation of such complex, self-replicating molecules.

However, such a stance begs the question, because it assumes that the amino acids with which we are familiar and from which RNA and DNA are cosntructed are the unique and necessary components of self-replicating "life." It ignores that what we see is a product of the conditions which existed, and that there is no good reason to assume that any particular environment was necessary for life to arise. We only have a single example of life, that which we encounter on this planet. We are supremely ignorant of whether or not any other form of life is possible, or if the form of life with which we are familiar might have formed under a different set of circumstances.

Naturally, Spurious does not address this issue, beause he is constitutionally incapable of comprehending and discussing the topic at hand--he is, rather, dedicated to his own phoney philosophical babbling, without the least reference to the topic of "intelligent design" or a theory of evolution. We expect no less.
0 Replies

KuRmA

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 08:46 am
I didn't think you were referring to me spendius.

Setanta - can you point out where I am speculating and correct it please, because I am really trying to understand this. Some references would be nice Smile

Okay you posted while I was posting.
0 Replies

KuRmA

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:15 am
Setanta wrote:
KuRmA's post might properly be seen as belonging to the "Evolution? How?" thread--but are nevertheless germane to the topic of whether or not "intelligent design" constitutes religion or science.

This post is a continuation of my other post. Considering the code of the DNA as a complex software which controls all the activities of the cells, if you cannot show within reasonable probability how it could be produced by chance interaction of amnio acids then it can be taken as evidence of intelligence behind the design. I can't see how you can show it with reasonable probability - even the with the help of the PAHs it's still chance combination.

Quote:
What this member attempts to suggest is that the rise of replicable amino acid molecules and the development of RNA and DNA could not be mere coincidence, but must be evidence of design, based upon a contention that the conditions on earth billions of years ago were fundamentally inimical to the formation of such complex, self-replicating molecules.

That's not the only issue I am raising - the activities of the cell are all coordinated by the software in the DNA, and yet the formation of the cell itself didn't require any such coordination but depended on chance bonding of amino acids. It seems a bit far fetched, unless I am missing something in which case please help me understand.

Quote:
However, such a stance begs the question, because it assumes that the amino acids with which we are familiar and from which RNA and DNA are cosntructed are the unique and necessary components of self-replicating "life." It ignores that what we see is a product of the conditions which existed, and that there is no good reason to assume that any particular environment was necessary for life to arise. We only have a single example of life, that which we encounter on this planet. We are supremely ignorant of whether or not any other form of life is possible, or if the form of life with which we are familiar might have formed under a different set of circumstances.

Aren't we trying to understand how life formed on this planet - the idea of life on other planets is itself a contentious point. If we have no idea of the conditions that produced life then how can we say anything about how it was formed? The understanding of the hostile conditions is not my own - it comes from scientists in this field of reseach - but scientists can beg to differ with each other because it is all speculation at the moment.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:23 am
KuRmA wrote:
This post is a continuation of my other post. Considering the code of the DNA as a complex software which controls all the activities of the cells, if you cannot show within reasonable probability how it could be produced by chance interaction of amnio acids then it can be taken as evidence of intelligent behind the design. I can't see how you can show it with reasonable probability - even the with the help of the PAHs it's still chance combination.

I misunderstood the thrust of your remarks, then. What i read was that you were suggesting that it could not occur by chance, and was therefore evidence of "intelligent design." I understand now that this is not what you are saying, and i agree that this is a result of "chance." However, i would point out that because of the circumstances, the chances were very probable.

Quote:
That's not the only issue I am raising - the activities of the cell are all coordinated by the software in the DNA, and yet the formation of the cell itself didn't require any such coordination but depended on chance bonding of amino acids. It seems a bit far fetched, unless I am missing something in which case please help me understand.

Now you seem to contradict yourself. You are not correct in stating that DNA controls all the activities of a cell. DNA allows the replication of the cell, but the activities of the cell include many energetic processes which do not rely upon DNA or RNA. Now, however, by saying that you consider that cells could arise without DNA or RNA to be farfetched, it appears that you are again claiming that there must have been a "design intent" to produce the result, to which i would reply, bullshit. I rather think you are either not expressing youself well, or you are confused in what you are attempting to articulate.

Quote:
Aren't we trying to understand how life formed on this planet - the idea of life on other planets is itself a contentious point. If we have no idea of the conditions that produced life then how can we say anything about how it was formed? The understanding of the hostile conditions is not my own - it comes from scientists in this field of reseach - but scientists can beg to differ with each other because it is all speculation at the moment.

It is not entirely spectulation, the geological record can tell us much about what conditions were likely to have been. Of course, it is true that scientists do not agree fully on all aspects of science. But the issue of in what life consists, whether here or elsewhere in the cosmos is very much to the point.

You are obviously missing the point i am making. You are putting the cart befor the horse, by assuming that we must account for the rise of DNA and RNA from the conditions on earth billions of years ago, rather than recognizing that DNA and RNA eventually arose precisely because the consitions were as they then were.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:53 am
But the conditions are of such complexity that they cannot possibly be understood. Suppose the earth to be 10 cms nearer to the sun and orbiting 1mph faster and spinning 1 mph slower with a slight difference in the wobble due to it's formation event being ten billion years earler than it was plus an unquantifiable amount of other variations.

To offer solutions to such complexities out of a very simple knowledge of a selected handful of possible physical and chemical possibilities and to use them to determine classroom technique for 50 million children in a manner which is approved of by the prejudices of the source of the solutions, which is suspect anyway solipsistically, seems to me to be a type of arrogance which has broken free of the moorings of human reality and, as such, as unscientific as it is possible to get.
0 Replies

KuRmA

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:06 am
Setanta wrote:

However, i would point out that because of the circumstances, the chances were very probable.

Based on what? Is there a probability study on this based on hypothetical conditions and the chemical ingredients? How do you judge if something is highly probable or not when the processes involved are so complex that we cannot even produce a single celled organism in the laboratory.

Quote:
Now you seem to contradict yourself.

Did I actually say two oppsing statements - where?

Quote:
You are not correct in stating that DNA controls all the activities of a cell. DNA allows the replication of the cell, but the activities of the cell include many energetic processes which do not rely upon DNA or RNA.

Okay - point taken. But the DNA does manage the replication of the cell - the argument of how the cell managed to form in the first place requires no management. I find that hard to believe considering how complex a cell is.

Quote:
Now, however, by saying that you consider that cells could arise without DNA or RNA to be farfetched, it appears that you are again claiming that there must have been a "design intent" to produce the result, to which i would reply, bullshit. I rather think you are either not expressing youself well, or you are confused in what you are attempting to articulate.

What I am saying is that I have not seen anything that convinces me that the DNA could have been produced by chance. I don't think "bullshit" is a very articulate argument against design intent.

Quote:
You are obviously missing the point i am making. You are putting the cart befor the horse, by assuming that we must account for the rise of DNA and RNA from the conditions on earth billions of years ago, rather than recognizing that DNA and RNA eventually arose precisely because the consitions were as they then were.

So what you are saying is that because life exists the conditions for the DNA and RNA to be produced by chance must have been there billions of years ago. My contention is how could it have arisen by chance. Statements like "the chances were very probable" are not going to convince me unless you elaborate.
0 Replies

KuRmA

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:12 am
spendius wrote:
But the conditions are of such complexity that they cannot possibly be understood. Suppose the earth to be 10 cms nearer to the sun and orbiting 1mph faster and spinning 1 mph slower with a slight difference in the wobble due to it's formation event being ten billion years earler than it was plus an unquantifiable amount of other variations.

To offer solutions to such complexities out of a very simple knowledge of a selected handful of possible physical and chemical possibilities and to use them to determine classroom technique for 50 million children in a manner which is approved of by the prejudices of the source of the solutions, which is suspect anyway solipsistically, seems to me to be a type of arrogance which has broken free of the moorings of human reality and, as such, as unscientific as it is possible to get.

If the conditions are so complex that they can hardly be understood, don't you think the arrogance is to rule out any other possibilities other than chance? At least we should keep an open mind.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:18 am
KuRmA wrote-

Quote:
I don't think "bullshit" is a very articulate argument against design intent.

You had better get used to it mate. Setanta uses such techniques so often that one might easily assume his friends and neighbours are dealt with in the same easy manner. He sometimes fluffs it up into whole sentences or even quite long paragraphs.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:22 am
KuRmA wrote:
Setanta wrote:

However, i would point out that because of the circumstances, the chances were very probable.

Based on what? Is there a probability study on this based on hypothetical conditions and the chemical ingredients? How do you judge if something is highly probable or not when the processes involved are so complex that we cannot even produce a single celled organism in the laboratory.

This has got to be your most idiotic sally yet. Based on the fact that life proliferates riotously, and has done for billions of years. Duh . . .

Quote:
Now you seem to contradict yourself.

Did I actually say two oppsing statements - where?[/quote]

You remarks have given the impression that you consider that life could not have arisen by chance, but when you are tasked with this you attempt to deny it. This however, is typical of devotees of "intelligent design." You express yourself sufficiently poorly that it is difficult to be sure just exactly what you are saying. That is why i said that you seem to contradict yourself, rather than stating outright that you have. It would help if you would make a clear statement on whether or not you consider "intelligent design" to be scientifically plausible, which is, after all, the topic of the thread. If you do, of course, you run smack up against the problem of "design intent," the implication of which is that there is a designer. Then you'll be in the position of describing the nature of the designer, and the designer's intent. After all, if the evidence point to a designer, as you seem to suggest, it is completely reasonable to expect that you can describe the designer.

Quote:
Okay - point taken. But the DNA does manage the replication of the cell - the argument of how the cell managed to form in the first place requires no management. I find that hard to believe considering how complex a cell is.

This is what i mean when i say that you express yourself poorly. I've advanced no argument about how cells formed initially, and i don't see anyone else in this thread doing so. If you refer specifically to a thesis advanced, for example, in one of Timber's links, then you ought to specifcy that. Once again, you are begging the question. You are complaining that it is hard to believe that cells could form without DNA, given the complexity of the cell. However, that assumes that the first cells were that complex. What reason do you have for assuming that the initial cellular life was possessed of cells as complex as those which exist today?

Quote:
What I am saying is that I have not seen anything that convinces me that the DNA could have been produced by chance. I don't think "bullshit" is a very articulate argument against design intent.

Given the complete lack of an argument for design intent on your part, you'll have to accept bullshit as an argument, as it is equally as articulate as any argument for design intent which you have presented.

Quote:
So what you are saying is that because life exists the conditions for the DNA and RNA to be produced by chance must have been there billions of years ago. My contention is how could it have arisen by chance. Statements like "the chances were very probable" are not going to convince me unless you elaborate.

Cellular organisms, DNA and RNA are faits accomplis--they exist. Unless you are willing to deny that they exist, then there can be few arguments so compelling for the felicity of conditions on the ancient earth than that they do exist. By the way "how could it have arisen by chance?" is a question, not a contention. If you contend that it could not have arisen by chance, you'll need to advance an argument in support of your position. "I can't believe that" is an argument no more eloquent than "bullshit."
0 Replies

KuRmA

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:24 am
spendius wrote:
KuRmA wrote-

Quote:
I don't think "bullshit" is a very articulate argument against design intent.

You had better get used to it mate. Setanta uses such techniques so often that one might easily assume his friends and neighbours are dealt with in the same easy manner. He sometimes fluffs it up into whole sentences or even quite long paragraphs.

Smile Smile Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:28 am
spendius wrote:

You really have no concept of irony, do you?
0 Replies

KuRmA

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:05 am
Setanta wrote:
This has got to be your most idiotic sally yet. Based on the fact that life proliferates riotously, and has done for billions of years. Duh . . .

Our experience of life proliferating is based on reproduction - i.e. life coming from life. We have no experience of life arising from chemicals - that is speculation.

Quote:
...you run smack up against the problem of "design intent," the implication of which is that there is a designer. Then you'll be in the position of describing the nature of the designer, and the designer's intent. After all, if the evidence point to a designer, as you seem to suggest, it is completely reasonable to expect that you can describe the designer.

I am not convinced that you would at all be interested in hearing about the intent of the designer or any description of him based on your "bullshit" reply to the previous post. And I don't see that it is necessary - for example if the Mars probe were to find machined metal objects, this would be evidence of intelligent life forms even if we could say nothing about what the objects were used for, or anything about the intelligent life that produced them.

Quote:
You are complaining that it is hard to believe that cells could form without DNA, given the complexity of the cell. However, that assumes that the first cells were that complex. What reason do you have for assuming that the initial cellular life was possessed of cells as complex as those which exist today?

What you are creating here is some "missing links" for which there is no physical evidence. These have to be supposed in order for the chance hypothesis to stand any chance at all. If the initial organisms were that simple then why not create some in the laboratory?

Quote:

Then I guess I'll be getting more bullshit from you in the future.

Quote:
Cellular organisms, DNA and RNA are faits accomplis--they exist. Unless you are willing to deny that they exist, then there can be few arguments so compelling for the felicity of conditions on the ancient earth than that they do exist.

Did I ever deny their existence?
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:08 am
Quote:
Irony, forsooth! Guard yourself, Engineer, from the sort of irony that thrives up here; guard yourself altogether from taking on their mental attitude! Where irony is not a direct and classic device of oratory, not for a moment equivocal to a healthy mind, it makes for depravity, it becomes a drawback to civilization, an unclean traffic with the forces of reaction, vice and materialism.

Irony!!

I have read Thomas Mann and books on him. I have a good few. I also have read and own Empson's Seven types of Ambiguity.

You don't know what irony is Setanta. You haven't the faintest idea. Nobody who takes themselves seriously can ever have an idea.

Try Ayesha if you want some irony.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:11 am
I'll go slowly for you. As life exists, and has existed for billions of years, the evidence that conditions in which life such as we know it could arise were very probable exists exactly to the same extent that finding a machine tooled item on an other planet (Mars doesn't count, humans have been shooting too much junk up there for too long) would be evidence of an intelligent source. However, your problem is that cellular organisms are not evidence of intelligent intent--and in fact, if they were, you'd not be asking if someone can produce them in a lab.

If you intend to stiputate design intent, then you imply a designer. That is an extraordinary claim on your part, unless and until you provide evidence of the designer and the design intent. People who make extraordinary claims have the burden of proving the claims, no one is obliged to prove that the claims are false. Upon what basis do you assert that celluar organisms initially arose as complex as those with which we are familiar today?
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:13 am
Setanta-

And you don't know what DNA is either. You only think you do. You have probably seen the double helix in a TV entertainment and think that's it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:14 am
Don't pout, Spurious, you look silly enough as it is . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:15 am
Assertions are coming thick and fast now.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:16 am
The assertion business is your forte, there's no doubt of that. You seem to prefer the unsubstantiated assertion.

However, the assertion that you look silly is easily enough established by anyone sufficiently masochistic to read a few pages of your drivel.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:19 am
It looks like you've been reading it.

Quote:
The assertion business is your forte, there's no doubt of that. You seem to prefer the unsubstantiated assertion.

There's 2 assertions there and only the "seem" lets you off the third.

What caused the "seem"?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:59 am
KurMa, the error which is a gaping hole in your proposition is your attribution of causality to "chance" ... chance and probability are very different things. There is a chance a coin will come up heads 100 times in a row, however, the probability of such an outcome is exceedingly low. The probability that a confluence of conditions and circumstances propitious to the formation of life is not uncommon is extremely high. Given environmental considerations for which we have no reason to expect might be exclusive to Earth, given the chemistry and physics we observe to be consistent and constant throughout the observable universe, and given that life arose here, the only objective, logical, evidence-based conclusion to be drawn is that the natural state of the universe is such that the development life is no more improbable than is the formation of galaxies, stars, and planetary systems out of gas clouds. There is nothing "chance" about it; that's the way things work. Central to your error is your focus on DNA; DNA itself most probably is the natural product of chemistry stretching back through a long chain beginning with the formation of organic molecules, peptides, proteins, and sugars, which are the precursors of RNA. A broader overview of what I'm trying to get across to you is available HERE

Now, if you wish to wrap yourself in the comfort of anthropic arrogance through assaying to assign causality to some independent, supernatural, external-to-the-universe thing, condition, or state of being, fine, go right ahead; there is a "chance" that is so, however slight the probability. Please, though, don't attempt to dignify any such notion through implying it has any logical, scientific basis.
0 Replies