Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 05:44 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
Im not sure which is sadder

Oh dear. Back to unsupported assertions.

I do know of what I speak. There is no belief involved. And it is a matter of joyous celebration as far as I'm concerned. One has to consider ladies who have choices. The Courts of Love and all that.

xingu- there is a significant polarisation in your graphic between Europe and the rest of the world. Generally though,the acceptance of evolution science is hardly the issue as fm's most recent self-serving comment makes abundantly clear.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 05:51 am
Wow, a professional troll in our midst. Thats even sadder.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 05:52 am
spendius wrote:
fm wrote-

Quote:
Im not sure which is sadder

Oh dear. Back to unsupported assertions.

Back to? You never stopped making unsupport assertions and when you did, you made badly supported assertions.

Quote:
xingu- there is a significant polarisation in your graphic between Europe and the rest of the world. Generally though,the acceptance of evolution science is hardly the issue as fm's most recent self-serving comment makes abundantly clear.

Yet, you have constantly brought it up with your talk of ID and the mixture of religion and science.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 05:53 am
Wolf wrote-

Quote:
Wrong. The scientist takes responsibility. They have to prove their research is ethical.

That makes my point.

The fact that they have to prove something to an ethics committee means that it can't be left to scientists. Otherwise why have them do it?

Einstein had problems with it in later life.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 05:57 am
timber-

Your link is pure Dr Goebells. One long farrago of assertions larded with pseudo-science and sour grapes. Presumably written by the sort of person who is uncomfortable with the conversation straying into areas which frighten him. It a "Where's me mummy" trick.

I'm surprised at you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 05:59 am
spendius wrote:
One long farrago of assertions larded with pseudo-science and sour grapes.

Physician, heal thyself.

However, in opposition to your closing assertion, i am not in the least surprised to see drivel of that character emerge from your keyboard.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 06:00 am
spendius wrote:
That makes my point.

The fact that they have to prove something to an ethics committee means that it can't be left to scientists. Otherwise why have them do it?

Einstein had problems with it in later life.

The fact that they can prove something to an ethics committee beyond a doubt means it can be left to scientists. It proves nothing. See? Badly supported assertions.

Not to mention that I was a bit too hasty and painted all scientists with the same brush. There are obviously those that do not need to prove anything to an ethics committee because there is no need.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 06:06 am
It doesnt seem to recognize that it recapitualtes the semiology of the link that Timber posted. Now that is Really sad.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 06:06 am
spendius wrote:
timber-

... {snip in the interest of avoiding needless repetion of twaddle} ...

I'm surprised at you.

I doubt that. Further, I note I find the style and substance of your interactions here drearily unsurprising - sorta like the ants at an otherwise enjoyable picnic.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 07:49 am
Hi Setty-Long time no see. Not progressed much in the meantime have you. Why have you re-entered the fray. I hope you are up-to-date on the thread. I don't fancy another few weeks of you running on the spot with that well known procedure of your's, which seems to be catching, of assuming your blurts of wisdom are actually wisdom merely on the basis of you having uttered them.

timber has doubted the integrity of my surprise rather self-indulgently I'm afraid. I am actually surprised at some of the infantile comments he has been making and which have been carefully steered into his head by religionists. "Getting laid", "lie back and think of England" and "pull me nightie down when you've finished" are all consistent with the traditional religious viewpoint and, it must be admitted, highly convenient concepts to those not dealing with the modern, successful, mature, career woman of advanced refinement.

One would seek to be unsurprising I think. Surprise lacks consistency.May you live in interesting times. It's the "drearily" which is the assertion. And Setty uses the phrase "not in the least surprised" in an equally irrelevant manner. Novelty is the guiding principle of children's toys. As Bob once said- "I'll Have The Usual". Everybody in the pub does that every night.Without fail. Don't think I feel isolated just because 4 or 5 trolls have got a little gang up on what after all is a very narrow activity.I'm quite popular on other threads don't you know?

Oh-I'm so so really very sad. Very ladylike I must say. One presumes I should seek help.

Wolf- are you suggesting that ethics committees are a waste of time, effort and taxpayer's money? They most certainly are all those if these matters can safely be left to scientists. I feel sure they would have had a go at cloning a human being by now if left to themselves. Some people think they already have in certain places.

I apologise for rushing. I am at work and I'm in an out like a dildo at an Ann Summer's party.

Any chance of something interesting for the evening. You're like a bunch of old washerwomen with this constant barrage of assertions.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 07:55 am
My name is not Setty.

The fact that i have refrained recently from pointing out that you consistently post self-indulgent drivel which is not relevant to the topic at hand does not alter the inescapable fact that you consistently post self-indulgent drivel which is not relevant to the topic at hand.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:13 am
timber's link was written by this person-

Quote:
I am diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, which involves in part an intense focus on "stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest." My most recent interest has been abnormal psychology and personality psychology. Specifically, I am interested in the personality disorders, especially psychopathy. I am also interested, to a lesser extent, in personality typing and the measurement of various factors of personality.

Some of my other interests are or have been linguistics (phonetics, phonology, dialectology, historical linguistics, and comparative linguistics); the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA); the French language; geography (mainly political); ancient European history; the medieval European social structure; political, social, and moral philosophy; computers; photography; humorous and creative writing; and eating good food.

So there you go then. A guide to anti-IDers in brief. So much for the semiology but it does sound good to those who don't bother checking it out. It's just one long bunch of assertions as is the potted biog of NeantHumain (sic). I could make myself sound a lot better than that if I fancied trying, which I don't.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:27 am
I did check timber's link, spendi. You should feel relieved that there is now a diagnosis for the specific personality disorder that you exhibit. Someday, science will find a cure.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:43 am
wande-

What do you think my personality disorder is. No one has ever mentioned it before to me and I do have a rather fancy CV which it is out of place to discuss on here.

I consider that gratuitous allegations attributing personality disorders to others is much the most serious personality disorder I know of and it is always found in those who readily resort to assertions to bolster intellectual positions they are unable to support with evidence.

Science has found a cure for what I assume you mean. It is known as growing up.It is obviously a cure which is eschewed in child centred rearing programmes of the type I was unable to benefit from.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:46 am
By CV, do you mean cardiovascular problem? If so, I am sorry to hear that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:49 am
He means curriculum vitae, and what we would refer to as his résumé. In short, he's tooting his own horn.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:57 am
Setty-

If I was to toot my horn you would look like a bunch of weeds after the flame thrower had been on them.

You did write recently-

Quote:
the inescapable fact that you consistently post self-indulgent drivel which is not relevant to the topic at hand.

so I presume your strictures are only applicable to me.

Were you unaware that wande was having a jest? Do you really think wande doesn't know what a CV is.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 08:57 am
Thanks, setanta.

Anyway, spendi, a diagnosis for your specific personality disorder is the first step towards successful treatment. I am certain that timber meant well.
0 Replies

Setanta

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 09:03 am
As i pointed out, Spurious, my name is not Setty. You have to accept that if you call me unpleasant names, i will return the favor.

It was not at all reasonable to assume that Wandel knew what you meant by CV--the term is almost never used in the United States, outside of some liberal arts academic settings. Americans almost invariably say résumé in a context in which other English-speakers say CV.

With regard to tooting your horn, if you ever contemplate suicide, i suggest that you accomplish it by jumping from the top of your ego--i suspect you would starve to death long before you ever hit the ground.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 11 Aug, 2006 09:05 am
I already explained that wande. I was cured of it when I grew up. What do you think we should suggest for your personality disorder which does seem rather chronic.
0 Replies