Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

wandeljw

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 08:48 am
Farmerman,
The Hostettler bill has was being debated by members of the House Judiciary Committee this week. The judiciary committee itself has not yet voted on it but something may happen on the bill today.

It is funny that you mention conservatives shooting themselves in the foot. At the end of the news item I quoted, the conservative Kansas school board member gave a good reason for people to vote against her:

Quote:
Morris said she expects that if the conservatives are defeated at the polls, "the science standards will be removed within an hour" of the new board's first meeting.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:09 am
U. S. CONGRESS UPDATE

From Library of Congress website:
Quote:
H.R.2679
Title: To amend the Revised Statutes of the United States to eliminate the chilling effect on the constitutionally protected expression of religion by State and local officials that results from the threat that potential litigants may seek damages and attorney's fees.
Sponsor: Rep Hostettler, John N. [IN-8] (introduced 5/26/2005)
Latest Major Action: 7/26/2006 House committee/subcommittee actions. Status: Committee Consideration and Mark-up Session Held.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 09:37 am
Or, if we , as a governing body do something so eggregious in the open promotion of a religious cause, you may take us to court.AND, even if you win, you lose cause you will be the only ones who will be denied legal fees. This seems to be "special legislation" in violation of the irt amendment. I really like the wording of the bill. Im sure they had a focus group select the word "chilling"

The conservatives are really good at the phrase making, dont you think?
0 Replies

xingu

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 10:07 am
Quote:

I noticed they called them reptiles. Would reptiles swim in such cold water?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 10:42 am
farmerman wrote:

Members of the House of Representatives are up for re-election every 2 years. Hostettler may be scoring points with his base in Indiana just by introducing and debating his bill.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 11:38 am
fm wrote-

Quote:
And, mightI say that this was all one sentence of spendi-speak. Spendi , now I know you cannot be a scientist as you claim (unless your a Christian SCientist). For you appeal to the application of "reason" SCience has never done that.As science moved on beyond collecting butterflies and became a means to make predictions, weve seen much that is counter-intuitive. What amt of reason was responsible for the really big finds of the 20th century, hardly any> It was evidence based and evidence often ran so far askew of reason that as Dr Feynman said."It not only leaves us with a world we canot imagine, It leaves us with a world that we cannot imagine that we cannot imagine"

Coughs quietly whilst watching through the window as the gentle breeze riffles the leaves on the golden birch wondering about the frequencies of the reflected radiation entering eyeballs and how the retinal image within consciousness might compare to the actuality seemingly visible in the refractions of the air,the glass and the inchoate cataracts.

Pull the other one fm; it has the speaking clock on the end of it.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 12:00 pm
wande wrote-

Quote:

What difference does it make what they call them.

That whole thing about the Umoonasaurus and Opallionectes is a species of collecting butterflies and fm said science has moved on from that.

It's a more glamourous species mind you now that country parsons in daft hats running around with nets have given way to suits with serious faces running around all day to provide wives with daft hats etc on lush Government funding with gobsmacking mumbo-jumbo provided to justify the age old cry about how hard working and industrious they all are in like manner to that of shamans in the days before parsons were invented to get this fewking show on the road.

If that's science wande I'll show my bare arse in Tiffany's window when Lola and Bernie are due to pass carrying samples of their latest creations in the field of feminine mystery.

I wonder how many of the team of "researchers" are churchgoers.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 12:27 pm
spendius wrote:
wande wrote-

Quote:

What difference does it make what they call them.

Actually, I thought it was an interesting point. Certainly far more interesting than anything you have ever mentioned.

I find it interesting that pterasaurs for example, were not flying dinosaurs, but flying reptiles. An entirely different genus, yet remarkably similar in some ways (size and habitat) compared to reptiles of today. I also wasn't aware that Plesiosaurs were reptiles and not dinosaurs. I guess I have a bit more reading to do on this subject.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 12:31 pm
I'm very much afraid ros that I find that I need your last post to be couched in terms I can understand before I can even think about responding to it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 12:38 pm
spendius wrote:
I'm very much afraid ros that I find that I need your last post to be couched in terms I can understand before I can even think about responding to it.

That's funny. I find myself thinking the same things about your posts all the time.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 12:43 pm
farmerman wrote:

The real "skills" of conservatives are called "projecting." They can stretch statements made by liberals and moderates into senseless conclusions nowhere close to what was said. That's the only time they are able to show some creativity.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 12:54 pm
Give us an example c.i.

Science proceeds to some extent on evidence rather than brass-necked blurts of gibberish.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 12:58 pm
ros wrote-

Quote:
That's funny. I find myself thinking the same things about your posts all the time.

Unlike you I will try to explain any points from post No 2174637 you have difficulty with. Or any other posts of mine.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 01:05 pm
spendi, If you bother to read some of the crxp posted by conservatives, there are plenty of "examples" in the politics forums. If you're interested, do some search on your own; I'm not your gopher.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 01:10 pm
Here, spendi, is a good example posted by Bernie:

Your problem. Mr. Kuvasz, which, of course, you will not admit, is that you wish to destroy the Economy of the United States with your Gore like cries that the sky is falling.

spendi,
Please find a quote by kuvasz where he said he wanted to destroy the US economy.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 01:20 pm
Gee you're funny c.i.

You are being ironic aren't you?

But now this has just come up so you are a gopher after all.

Quote:
Your problem. Mr. Kuvasz, which, of course, you will not admit, is that you wish to destroy the Economy of the United States with your Gore like cries that the sky is falling.

First off the speaker is not "conservatives" (your word)

Second-if I presume correctly that "Gore like cries" mean getting serious on green issues the economy of the US will be destroyed.

That's blunt not "stretching" and it's true. One can only assume that an intelligent man arguing for policies which will destroy the US economy knows that they will and thus must "wish" that to happen. If he doesn't know that you have a recruitment problem on the liberal side.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 01:26 pm
spendi wrote:
That's blunt not "stretching" and it's true. One can only assume that an intelligent man arguing for policies which will destroy the US economy knows that they will and thus must "wish" that to happen. If he doesn't know that you have a recruitment problem on the liberal side.

That's only the typical "fear" tactic used that won't work, because there are too many people that will not allow that to happen. Many in the US write off Gore as a crack-pot.

It seems obvious you have little knowledge of how economies work, no less how to interpret statements that have little reality to back it up.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 01:58 pm
oh come onn Spendi......you know about spin.......everybody does it. I personally think it's fun, and apparently so do many of us because here we all are doin it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 02:03 pm
Bernie repeated the following a couple of times:

I posted the following- It is not fiction, it is fact and anyone who reads Senator Obama's autobiography( I have) can find these facts in his book.

I have read Obama's autobiography. Has anyone else read it.
When certain aspects of the background of William Jefferson Clinton came to light, there was some furor in the press in 1992.

In Obama's autobiography, three special points stood out for me---

l. Obama admitted that he was into Cocaine as a young man.

On the other hand, we have never heard Bush admit he was a drunk and drug head.

2. Obama indicated that he attended two years in a Muslim School( His father was a Muslim)So? How many christians go to christian school?

3. Obama's father( a Kenyan) deserted his Caucasian mother when Barack was a child.
So? How many Americans desert their wives and children in the US who are Caucasian?

As I have pointed out, it would be my fervent hope that Barack Obama would be chosen as the Vice Presidential Candidate in 2008 for the Democrats. I am sure that, while he would garner some extra African-American votes, he would lost millions of other voters who would normally vote Democratic.
And his proof is? Sounds like another unsubstantiated projection by a right-wingnut.

Unfortunately, Millions of American voters would, I am certain, equate Obama with the race carders like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, who, as everyone is aware, work only for the benefit of their own ethnic group--African Americans! [/color]
Yes, we still have racial bigots in the US.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 28 Jul, 2006 02:13 pm
No Lola- I don't do spin.

I know you liberals do and I must admit that it is amusing especially when it is obviously spin and the spinner doesn't know I know it is spin and sometimes feels the need to point it out to excuse being caught bang at it. After the event of course.

I presume you are heavily hinting with nods and winks of "in" city sophistication that the "Many" in-

Quote:
. Many in the US write off Gore as a crack-pot.

is a neat touch of irony by c.i.

I think he means it.

There are many books on this desk. With nearly 300,000,000 to go at I daresay many write off everybody as a crackpot.

c.i.-- Lola says you are taking the piss. Is she right?
0 Replies