Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Thomas

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 01:38 pm
farmerman wrote:
Georgeob. You know the difference between the modern movement of Intelligent Design and Thomasian snippets.

Maybe you could both tell the rest of us which Aquinas citations you are talking about? That way I might be able to learn something.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 01:45 pm
spendius wrote:

If religion is removed from schools the literature of the future will be paeans of self congratulation couched in the style of a DIY manual written by an apparatchick scared witless at the thought of being sued.

I don't think our grandsons deserve such a fate which is already almost upon them. (See Dan Brown).

Not sure why you religious folk think that the removal of religion (or other forms of superstition) from the schools will have a negative impact on literature, morality, or society in general.

I suspect, though, that it is simply self-serving drivel.
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:06 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Not sure why you religious folk think that the removal of religion (or other forms of superstition) from the schools will have a negative impact on literature, morality, or society in general.

I also don't understand why keeping it out will have a negative impact. I attended religion classes from age 5 to age 15. It didn't hurt me, didn't keep me from becoming an atheist, but was definitely beneficial in terms of general cultural literacy.

Frank Apisa wrote:

You say that as if "self-serving" was a bad thing.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:10 pm
Thomas wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

I also don't understand why keeping it out will have a negative impact. I attended religion classes from age 5 to age 15. It didn't hurt me, didn't keep me from becoming an atheist, but was definitely beneficial in terms of general cultural literacy.

Did you mean "keeping it out" or "keeping it in" in your first sentence? I'm not sure I get your drift.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

You say that as if "self-serving" was a bad thing.

Me????

Nah.

I love self-serving.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:12 pm
He has a stock of ready made insults which he hasn't felt it necessary to update since about 1923.

He thinks that everytime he spouts one everybody believes it and in the social milieux he obviously moves in they probably do.
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:13 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Did you mean "keeping it out" or "keeping it in" in your first sentence?

"Out". My impression, admittedly based on only two weeks at two different American highschools, is that religion is currently pretty much out of their curriculum -- and that American liberals generally wish to keep it this way.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:26 pm
spendius wrote:
He has a stock of ready made insults which he hasn't felt it necessary to update since about 1923.

Lame.

Quote:

He thinks that everytime he spouts one everybody believes it and in the social milieux he obviously moves in they probably do.

Even lamer.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:29 pm
Thomas wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Did you mean "keeping it out" or "keeping it in" in your first sentence?

"Out". My impression, admittedly based on only two weeks at two different American highschools, is that religion is currently pretty much out of their curriculum -- and that American liberals generally wish to keep it this way.

I am not an American liberal...and I very much want to keep it that way. I know many good folks...not necessarily liberals...who want to keep it out also.

Our schools certain do teach history....and there are plenty of references to the role of religion in our history classes.

But it really isn't right to teach superstition in school...and I think the trend toward keeping it out is for the best.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:32 pm
FA wrote-

Quote:

I don't remember any religious folk saying that but the statement is ambiguous because of the way in which "negative impact" and "society" are linked together without any sense of what "negative impact" might mean in a society of the future as opposed to what it might mean to the writer of the daft statement.

This might be deliberate, and thus clever, but it underestimates A2K members and is thus stupid or it might not be deliberate in which case it is stupid without any change of trains.

It doesn't constitute proof that decline in religious belief is accompanied by illiteracy but it is a small straw in the wind.

If anti-IDers can't even insult people properly can we trust them to run the educational system?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:39 pm
spendius wrote:
FA wrote-

Quote:

I don't remember any religious folk saying that but the statement is ambiguous because of the way in which "negative impact" and "society" are linked together without any sense of what "negative impact" might mean in a society of the future as opposed to what it might mean to the writer of the daft statement.

This might be deliberate, and thus clever, but it underestimates A2K members and is thus stupid or it might not be deliberate in which case it is stupid without any change of trains.

It doesn't constitute proof that decline in religious belief is accompanied by illiteracy but it is a small straw in the wind.

If anti-IDers can't even insult people properly can we trust them to run the educational system?

Nice try!

Now grow a brain...and see if you cannot do a bit better.
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:44 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
But it really isn't right to teach superstition in school...and I think the trend toward keeping it out is for the best.

Ah, there you go knocking the Odyssey again, which we read in school, and which has left a lasting impression on me.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 03:24 pm
FA wrote-

Quote:
Nice try!

The proper etiquette in male company, when being observed by females, is that when one has picked up the mallet and smacked the button on the test your strength machine and the bell has half deafened everybody one steps aside to allow one's friend to take his turn.

If he simply stands there saying "nice try... and see if you can do better" it is usually a stimulus to giggling.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 03:32 pm
Thomas wrote-

Quote:
Ah, there you go knocking the Odyssey again, which we read in school, and which has left a lasting impression on me.

It must have been the "wine dark sea". That was the first thing that got me tittering and once I got started I had a job stopping.

Rider Haggard did a take on it but you need a few handkerchiefs handy to read it. It might be The World's Desire but I'm not sure.

No chance of anything like that now. There's hardly a smile in the whole of Mailer.

Have you heard Dylan sing Open The Door Homer?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 05:04 pm
spendius wrote-

Quote:
If he simply stands there saying "nice try... and see if you can do better" it is usually a stimulus to giggling.

Which is quite natural under evolutionary science seeing as how it means words speak louder than actions which is just about the world's most funniest idea imaginable and especially to ladies.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 05:09 pm
spendius wrote:
FA wrote-

Quote:
Nice try!

The proper etiquette in male company, when being observed by females, is that when one has picked up the mallet and smacked the button on the test your strength machine and the bell has half deafened everybody one steps aside to allow one's friend to take his turn.

Surely you don't think you have hit the bell...literally or figuarively...do you, Spend.

What a laugh that is. And not a giggle. A full, deep laugh.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 05:10 pm
And I especially laugh when you talk about "the ladies."

Truthfully...you sound like a guy who has never gotten laid.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 05:44 pm
Are you examining your fingernails superiorly.

"truthfully" eh. On your say so. A rival to Madame Sosostris,the famous international clairvoyante are we?

Ring the bell louder for fewk's sake or pack it in.

Atheists can't write full stop. Never could,can't and never will be able to.

They are brilliant at train timetables and instructions though. I'll give them that. If I wanted to know how to negotiate crossing the road I would definitely ask FA. I have every confidence he could explain how to do that to the toddlers.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 05:47 pm
spendius wrote:
Are you examining your fingernails superiorly.

"truthfully" eh. On your say so. A rival to Madame Sosostris,the famous international clairvoyante are we?

Ring the bell louder for fewk's sake or pack it in.

Atheists can't write full stop. Never could,can't and never will be able to.

They are brilliant at train timetables and instructions though. I'll give them that. If I wanted to know how to negotiate crossing the road I would definitely ask FA. I have every confidence he could explain how to do that to the toddlers.

I'm not an atheist, you as shole.

Go try to find a woman hardup enough to do you.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 05:51 pm
Can you not even spell asshole correctly?
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:10 pm
Having been out most of the day I marked where I last spoke to spendi and then caught up this little gem from the boy
Quote:
Quote:
"You have contempt of court" do you not?

Sure you do. Obviously.

What then? Lock them all up in a rock solid religious area.

That was not a question doofus, the term "contempt of Court" is a punishable offense. So if the schoolboard acted in defiance of the courts decision, they would be "in contempt of Court"

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ill try to catch up on the more substantive points . When I remove the spendi posts it usually drops the volume load by 75% and actually i proves the comprehension level.
0 Replies