Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

timberlandko

Mon 5 Jun, 2006 10:26 pm
I understand, and largely agree with what you're saying George - and I think we've sorta discussed this before.. However, ID-iocy and its cognates serves well to express my perception of the the general platform of ignorance, fear, and superstion from which proponents of the non-scientific, anti-evolution bent mount their campaign. The persons endorsing the position well may be sincere, and alltogether fine folks, deserving of every respect and consideration, but the argument they bring to the table, and the manner in which they present that argument, merits only scorn and ridicule. It is not that there is no place for spirituality or metaphysics, it is that those who seek to overlay those concepts and their dependent constructs on science are just plain flat out wrong in the argument they choose to pick. Spirituality and science need not be at odds, they are distinct, separate, and have no business the one relating to or attempting to define, describe, or contain the other.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:18 am
It is undeniable that religion plays a major role in the anti-evolution movement. This is unfortunate since there are more appropriate issues for people of religion to be involved with. Religion-bashing makes me uncomfortable, but I also feel that religiously motivated people are doing themselves harm by attacking science. Science requires neutrality and objectivity.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:20 am
If we apply the logic of the IDers to its full extent, we must conclude that God is a joker.

The evidence?

Male genitalia.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:30 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
You demonstrate the profundity of your ignorance of the topic of this discussion right there. "Intelligent design" was cobbled together by the creationists immediately after the Supreme Court ruled in 1987 that creationism could not be taught in schools.

You did not cite a single "intelligent design" text to support your drivel, so, as i said, you get no points for more dipsomaniacal babbling.

I believe Spendius is correct and Setanta wrong on these points. While "Intelligent Design" or ID has come to have a certain specific reference to specific lawsuits and cant in both the contemporary public disputes over the matter and some of the discussions here, it is simply a fact that the idea of intelligent design and the term itself have a history that goes back to the Middle ages and beyond. As Setanta surely knows Thomas Aquinas' proofs by "The Uncaused cause" and "The proof by design" both relate directly to the proposition, and both are consistent with the distinction Spendius made between ID and creationism.

I do agree with Setanta that this argument has gone on long past the point at which we can expect any resolution or common understanding. Both sides are arguing past each other, and with little reference to what is being said.

This is a false statement, and does not in fact refer to the topic of the thread. The topic of the thread is whether or not "intelligent design" constitutes religion or science. In fact, the "argument from complexity," or the "argument from design," most popularly referred to by knowledgeable individuals as the "watchmaker analogy," can be found as long ago as Cicero, writing in the first century BCE. The antiquity of an idea does not serve to validate its assumptions. Subsequent to Cicero et al, Hooke articulated the argument from complexity and for the first time used the analogy of a watch. The Reverend Paley then restated the argument in his 1802 book, which, coming as it did within a few generations of Darwin (preceeding it, of course), gets credit as the origin of the "watchmaker analogy"--i.e., finding a watch in a field (the structure of his version of the analogy) infers a watchmaker.

The specific term "intelligent design" does not appear until after the 1987 decision by the Supremes. It has been the response of the creationists to haul out and dust off the argument from complexity and tart it up as "intelligent design" in an attempt to do an endrun around the 1987 decision. The attempt is made to suggest that "intelligent design" is science, precisely because creationism clearly was not and therefore failed the test of "secularity" in education which was the basis for its rejection by the Supremes. In the Dover case, Mr. Justice Jones has rejected "intelligent design" on exactly the same basis.

In concert with Spendi, you have not addressed the question of the thread, which is whether or not "intelligent design" constitutes science; whether or not "intelligent design" is actually a relgious wolf in false scientific sheep's clothing.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:45 am
Freeman Dyson on Dennett's book (haven't read this yet, but bound to be good)... http://www.nybooks.com/articles/19090
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:45 am
The point, George, in case you missed it, is that this thread concerns itself with the contemporary controversy arising from the attempt to tout "intelligent design" as science, and to introduce creationism by the back door into science curricula. That Cicero, Aquinas, Hooke, Voltaire and Paley--and many others--have articulated the "argument from complexity" in the past does not bear on the specific use of the term "intelligent design" in the contemporary United States. That is the point of the thread. You do this thread no favor by bucking up Spendi, who has demonstrated from the outset that he does not understand evolutionary science, does not understand the contemporary controversy, does not understand the "intelligent design" movement, does not understand the function and operation of school boards in this country, does not understand the function and operation of the judiciary in this country, and does not understand politics in this country.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:47 am
timber-

There are a number of difficulties with your last post.

The most important one, it seems to me, is that on this thread you are not debating with --

Quote:
the general platform of ignorance, fear, and superstion from which proponents of the non-scientific, anti-evolution bent mount their campaign.

To all intents and purposes you are debating with me. I think I have been on my own for a long while now.

And I have dealt with all your points at length.

I have asked repeatedly for you to describe a real school in a real community in which religious belief plays a significant part where evolution science can be taught side by side with other classes in which it will be undermined and probably ridiculed. I think that attempting to do that would cause serious stresses and strains both within the school and the community.

You seem totally unable to comprehend that evolutionary biology, like some aspects of modern psychological science and even dietary science , impinge heavily on very sensitive aspects of social life and that such considerations can themselves be the subject of scientific enquiry.

Is not a scientific study of dress and clothing a study partially involving sexual signals and sexual selection as well as protection.

Quote:
It is not that there is no place for spirituality or metaphysics, it is that those who seek to overlay those concepts and their dependent constructs on science are just plain flat out wrong in the argument they choose to pick.

The people you refer to here are not doing what you say. It is the facts of life that "overlay those concepts" on science and they are merely giving expression to those facts. It is you who are thinking in an empty room.

You take no cognisence of peer group leaders who can be presumed to probe the weaknesses in contradictory teaching within the same school and who have peer influence in the community of the adolescents. You speak as if all the kids are dumb and compliant. They are not. If such contradictory teaching leads to contoversy not only will the school be discredited but also science. And for no real reason. Anyone interested in your approach will find no difficulty studying it to their heart's content in other situations and, as likely as not, when they are more able to handle it without emotional difficulties.

At any level one might expect to meet in a school subjects like physics,mathematics, chemistry and such like are amoral. That cannot be said for evolutionary biology. Sociology needs treating with extreme care in schools and indeed it is.

A simple example might suffice.

From a sociological and evolutionary point of view the house which is a young couple's pride and joy and at the very centre of all their hopes and self esteem is a "breeding hutch".

So I don't think you have any business starting all these hares running for no real reason.

If you study history using scientific method you will find a whole other subject than the one you will see in schools and very few teachers qualified or able to teach it.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:07 am
Here is the first post on this thread-

Quote:
Is intelligent design theory a valid scientific alternative to evolutionary theory or is it only a religious view?

Is there a consensus in the scientific community one way or the other on this issue?

What does that have to do with the United States?

What does it have to do with any "contemporary controvesy"?

What does it have to do with fanciful notions about "introducing creationism by the back door"?

In actual fact it is about throwing creationism out of the front door.

Quote:
You do this thread no favor by bucking up Spendi,

Do you seriously think that this thread would still be here let alone have 72,000 odd views had it consisted of anti-IDers agreeing with each other.

In the terms wande originally set out the debate was to be an intellectual one and he made no mention of local difficulties.

As for the rest of the tautological mush in Setanta's incoherent post it isn't worth a blow on a ragman's trumpet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:10 am
The term "intelligent design" does not appear anywhere before it appears in the United States. The term does not appear anywhere other than in the context of trying to tart up creationism in the attempt to make it palatable in science curricula.

Spendi never fails to demonstrate his ignorance in even the simplest of cases.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:25 am
Quote:
Though unrelated to the current use of the term, the phrase "intelligent design" can be found in an 1847 issue of Scientific American, and in an address to the 1873 annual meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science by Paleyite botanist George James Allman:

Wikipedia.

And wande used the phrase without capitals.

It's quite funny really.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:35 am
KANSAS UPDATE

Quote:
Group urges rejection of science standards
(By Sarah Kessinger, Harris News Service, June 6, 2006)

TOPEKA - An advocacy group is urging local school boards to reject new science testing standards adopted by the state Board of Education.

A letter sent this week encourages Kansas' 300 school districts to follow the lead of Manhattan-Ogden public schools, where the local board unanimously voted to reject the state standards in April.

"The Kansas Board of Education standards are so flawed that they may be unconstitutional, and if endorsed by a local school district could lead to serious legal difficulties," Jack Krebs, president of a group of scientists and teachers known as Kansas Citizens for Science, wrote in the letter to superintendents.

State school board President Steve Abrams, who favors the new standards, said Monday he hadn't seen the letter and couldn't comment on it.

Asked whether districts could face problems if they didn't follow the standards, Abrams replied that there are no direct repercussions.

But school accreditation is based upon how well students do on state assessments that are based on the standards, he said.

Kansas made international headlines last year after the state board voted 6-4 to change science standards to allow supernatural explanations of natural phenomena and to support challenges of Darwin's theory of evolution.

The standards will determine state assessment content for high school students beginning in 2008.

Local districts, however, control what curriculum is taught in schools.

Soon after the state board's action, Manhattan-Ogden's school board began to study the changes upon the suggestion of scientists from the local Kansas State University campus.

The board determined the standards wouldn't prepare students "to deal with the world of higher education and employment that we see ahead of them," board President Randy Martin said.

"Our board looked at this and listened to people we know and respect, who had another point of view on the science standards," he said. "With the contacts they had in the state and around the country, we concluded that the state's science standards before the recent change were in the best interest of our students."

The board also extensively discussed that "many things in the world that should be taught to children aren't necessarily the responsibility of public schools," Martin said.

Supporters of the standards say they open science education to other theories. Opponents said they were an attempt to insert the biblical story of creation into the standards, violating the constitutional separation of church and state.

In other school districts on Monday, leaders emphasized that students need to be prepared to understand nationally accepted definitions of science.

Steve Parsons, Chanute superintendent, said his local school board so far hadn't shown interest in taking a position on the new state standards.

"We determine locally what we teach," he said. "We try to gear them to state standards but we are not limited to state standards."

At Hutchinson, Superintendent Wynona Winn said she had just received the letter, which she planned to pass on to the school board.

The district is taking the approach, she said, that "good science teachers are going to teach what they believe children ought to learn" regardless what the state does.

"I truly believe teachers work hard to prepare students for the next level and I truly believe we're going to do that."

Global economic trends, too, are fanning a renewed national interest in science education, Winn noted. The same happened in the late 1950s when the Soviets launched Sputnik and the United States realized it needed better science education to compete.

"I think the pressure to do that comes and goes," Winn said. "I think the fact that we're facing a great shortage of engineers in this country is waking folks up again. It ebbs and flows and ebbs and flows."

Martin at Manhattan said districts should determine what is best when it comes to science education for their local student body.

"I hope they'd be as deliberative as we were," he said, "and not just take a politically expedient route."
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:45 am
spendius wrote:
Quote:
Though unrelated to the current use of the term, the phrase "intelligent design" can be found in an 1847 issue of Scientific American, and in an address to the 1873 annual meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science by Paleyite botanist George James Allman:

Wikipedia.

And wande used the phrase without capitals.

It's quite funny really.

What is your point, spendi? Your Wikipedia quote begins with: "Though unrelated to the current use of the term".

Even with the first post, I am concerned with the current use of "intelligent design". I was obviously asking what the current consensus is.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 09:09 am
wande-

The forum is Science and Mathematics not Science and Mathematics in any "current consensus" in your backyard.

It is a world wide web after all. We are not all concerned with whether the parish pump has been painted green.

What is your point? What's the "current consensus" as well from a scientific point of view.

Quote:
I was obviously asking what the current consensus is.

You may well have been but it certainly wasn't "obvious".

Has A2K been informed that debating points only relate to the current consensus in Chicago and non-Americans should stay out of debates.

My point has been to debate your topic in a way congruent with your first post. Even the Dover business was off topic but did I complain.

Why do all these American anti-IDers whinge and whine all the time whenever they can't get all their own way. That's a strategy babies use in their prams.

As far as I'm concerned the anti-ID position is just about totally shredded on the basis of who would wish to associate themselves with such selfish,egotistical,bigoted, pedantic, puerile, blinkered, bombastic intolerance that seems to be the one and only colour that has penetrated the prism of reality into their mindset.

They can't even insult people properly at any level beyond a junior school playground.

Why don't you get on with the argument under the terms you originally presented it for the consideration of an international audience which can't be garuanteed to think of science or mathematics or intelligent design within the parameters of your computer room.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 09:22 am
wande quoted-

Quote:
Local districts, however, control what curriculum is taught in schools.

I had been given to understand by posters that judges controlled it. Which is it?

Quote:
The board also extensively discussed that "many things in the world that should be taught to children aren't necessarily the responsibility of public schools," Martin said.

A point I have made on numerous occasions.

Quote:
Global economic trends, too, are fanning a renewed national interest in science education, Winn noted. The same happened in the late 1950s when the Soviets launched Sputnik and the United States realized it needed better science education to compete.

This suggests that when President Kennedy launched the "on the moon before the end of the decade" feat scientists and engineers suddenly appeared out of nowhere all ready to go.

What a rubbish article. Do journalists in America really treat the public as if they are imbeciles?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 10:17 am
timberlandko wrote:
.... It is not that there is no place for spirituality or metaphysics, it is that those who seek to overlay those concepts and their dependent constructs on science are just plain flat out wrong in the argument they choose to pick. Spirituality and science need not be at odds, they are distinct, separate, and have no business the one relating to or attempting to define, describe, or contain the other.

Here I believe you have misrepresented the facts. There is indeed no place for spirituality, metaphysics, or any reference to a creator in our public school curricula, or even in the symbols and phrases used in its edifices and rituals. I believe it is the rather complete suppression of these things over the past few decades that has spawned the comtemporary dispute.

With respect to the 'remedies' proposed by religious zealots in this controversy we agree more or less completely. Much of the stuff they propose is neither science nor even particularly related to questions of spirituality. They are an easy target and hardly worth all the discussion. The political resonance they get is - in my opinion - the result of the secular suppression I noted above. Without it the political debate would quickly collapse.

I believe many of their secular opponents knowingly choose to ignore this aspect of the matter, and are pleased to treat the matter as merely a reenactment of the Snopes trial.
0 Replies

Thomas

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 10:35 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Here I believe you have misrepresented the facts. There is indeed no place for spirituality, metaphysics, or any reference to a creator in our public school curricula, or even in the symbols and phrases used in its edifices and rituals. I believe it is the rather complete suppression of these things over the past few decades that has spawned the comtemporary dispute.

One way to test this is would be to look how successfully creationism has made inroads in religious schools over "the past few decades". If I remember correctly, you have attended a Jesuit college. I imagine that when it was time for your children to go to school, you at least looked at Catholic schools as an option. So in your estimate, what's the share of Catholic high schools that teach creationism? And how has it changed over the last few decades?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 10:46 am
George-

I'm not sure what to make of that.

Where does it lead?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:05 am
Depends on what you mean by "creationism", a term used here in several, mostly self-serving variations.

I was taught (by the aforementioned Jesuits) that the Bible was the work of men; that its contents were slected from a larger field of possible inclusions by men; and that it is replete with both internal contradictions and descriptions of events that are variously either inconsistent with what we call Christian morality or probably inaccurate descriptions of physical happenings handed down in a manner more metaphorical than factual. In short it was either just a most remarkable and interesting historical artifact or an inspired work that contained truths communicated sometimes literally, but often only metaphorically or in the subsurface context. We were encouraged tp accept the latter interpretation.

Evolution was presented in biology class as a plausible theory based on observable fact. That the cosmos was a result of a creative act of an all powerful God was treated as a given article of faith, and one a good deal less implausible than the alternatives put forward by atheists. That evolution, or something like it, may be an observable result of the laws of physics was accepted as both obvious and as not at all incompatable with creation - a thing for which science offers no competing explanation - and cannot as a matter of principle.

I sent my four children to Catholic Schools as well, and to my knowledge, the outline above hasn't changed at all since then.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:09 am
spendi,

You continue to mischaracterize the first post of this thread. I asked about the "scientific consensus". I never limited the question geographically. I do not understand your comments about "backyard" "Chicago" or "United States only". You are severely confused.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 6 Jun, 2006 11:38 am
wande wrote-

Quote:
You are severely confused.

I thought that the likeliest explanation. It is certainly the easiest.

Like George, I was taught by priests but of The Order of St John Bosco, which is not as posh as the Jesuits. Nor as elitist.

But I can confirm the description of the sort of education in these matters that we both received and for which I am grateful beyond words. George remembers more than I do though possibly because I was more interested in sport and getting out of the place at the very earliest opportunity.

Perhaps that is why I'm severely confused. Almost all of my favourite writers attended such schools.

If religion is removed from schools the literature of the future will be paeans of self congratulation couched in the style of a DIY manual written by an apparatchick scared witless at the thought of being sued.

I don't think our grandsons deserve such a fate which is already almost upon them. (See Dan Brown).
0 Replies