Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

timberlandko

Sun 2 Apr, 2006 05:44 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
george, that some might behave in immoral manner - even to the point of institutionalizing immoral practice of one sort or another, rationalizing and justifying the abberance, in no way says anything about morality itself, only its perversion.

Look at what amounts to the question you just posed, but from a slightly different perspective;

How can evil exist in God's world?

See the coincident absurdity?

You are merely changing the subject.

No, not at all; that part-and-parcel, precisely IS the subject.

The primary attribute of humankind setting them apart from meaner beasts is that attribute of humankind known as ego; that we might be animals, with all that implies and neither more nor less, apart from intelligence and advanced communications skills, is something some folks are loathe to acknowledge. We are only "SPECIAL" in our own minds.

Quote:
I'm willing to believe the socialization of (say) wolves may represent an element of natural selection. However I'm not aware of any "anti wolves" that consistently demonstrate opposite indeed almost suicidal behaviors.

Of course there are no "anti-wolves" of which you could be aware; a wolf integrates with and functions to the benefit of its pack or it does not survive - nature has no welfare system.

Quote:
I can imagine no evolutionary natural selection of such destructive behaviors either.

Again - precisely; inate self-destructive traits, behavorial or physiological, do not select for their own furtherance within the host population. They are overridden by beneficial traits; were that not the case, there would be no advancement of life, no life at all, in the end. Life selects for life.

Quote:
There is no doubt that natural selection is an observable, comprehensible process that occurs among self-replecating organisms, or that it is the force driving the differentiation of species The key part of this phrase is self-replecating organisms. Evolution does not even attempt to explain the origin of life or the DNA molecule, and it certainly cannot explain the concept of morality - and the observable human deviations from it - that you assert.

Here we have the crux of the problem, illustrated by the religionist's arrogant insistence upon there being some ultimate answer or purpose. That itself is a proposition which falls, inherently and inescapably, to the logical flaw of principio principii - begging the question, circular reasoning; "it must be therefore it is" ... just about the only problem to be found in Aquinas' elegant, and even today unequalled, Summa.

Science makes no assertion concerning "How it first came to be", it merely explains how and why it works in the manner it is observed to work.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 2 Apr, 2006 05:58 pm
There are always exceptions in the animal kingdom that may either kill its own and/or eat their own. That some do or don't is usually inherent in the species.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 2 Apr, 2006 06:03 pm
http://janegoodall.org/chimp_central/chimpanzees/f_family/frodo.asp
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 2 Apr, 2006 06:07 pm
George wrote-

Quote:
Spendius, I like you and usually enjoy your posts, but I also think you are deliberately putting forward an incomprehensible and inconsistent set of arguments merely to prolong the debate.

Are you trying to say that prolonging the debate is an unimportant matter?I consider it a prime priority. I think that ceasing to argue is tantamount to psychic death.If an "incomprehensible and inconsistent set of arguments" is necessary to avoid that I'll accept it as a price well worth paying.

Quote:
I also believe it is both useful and meaningful to separate the question of religion from that of the existence of a creator.

I can't imagine what the creator has to do with it.
That seems ridiculous to me.

Quote:
Timber appears to assert that there is an absolute morality that is necessarily a byproduct (or even a direct product) of evolution.

Well it isn't obvious from the fossils is it?

Religion is,at most,20,000 years old which is next to nothing on the scale of evolution and Darwin was at pains to point that out on numerous occasions.I've seen it referred to as the last tick of the clock to midnight on Dec 31st.
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 2 Apr, 2006 06:16 pm
I understand timber's position.Morality is similar to the wings of an eagle or the sphincter of a whale.

It is what to teach the kids we are discussing and whether to choose the former or the latter.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 2 Apr, 2006 07:40 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Here we have the crux of the problem, illustrated by the religionist's arrogant insistence upon there being some ultimate answer or purpose. That itself is a proposition which falls, inherently and inescapably, to the logical flaw of principio principii - begging the question, circular reasoning; "it must be therefore it is" ... just about the only problem to be found in Aquinas' elegant, and even today unequalled, Summa.

Science makes no assertion concerning "How it first came to be", it merely explains how and why it works in the manner it is observed to work.

I'm not sure what you mean by "religionist" any more than I am sure that this is, at all, a debate involving religion. It isn't just practicioners of religion who pose and grapple with questions such as 'What is the origin of the cosmos?' or what is the origin of life?' Indeed many religious people don't appear th think much about either question at all. I agree that science makes no claim to explain or even describe the origin of the universe, though some in science claim to be able (one day) to explain the origin of life - others merely leave the question alone. (However, contrary to what is frequently asserted here, evolution does not explain the origin of life.)

Neither I nor Aquinas insisted a priori that there must be answers to these questions - only that, in terms of human reason and understandiong the questions themselves are real and meaningful. Certainly many human philosophers, and just ordinary people have demonstrated that the questions are indeed meaningful to the human intellect and understanding. I believe there is far, far more arrogance involved in the effective insistence of "anti IDers" here, and you in particular, in insisting that the questions are indeed meaningless and that everyone should accept this, usually unstated, proposition without question.

We evidently agree that science does not, and is not likely to ever explain the origin of life and the cosmos, but that it does indeed offer refutable hypotheses and theories for the explanation of the observable processes within it. This then admits the possibility of intelligent design at some level. I agree, it certainly doesn't require it. However the alternative is itself beyond understanding. This is the central point that virtually all of the heated debate on this thread has missed. Evolution and science do not compete with intelligent design any more than they compete with the philosophical view that questions about the origin of the cosmos are meaningless. The whole political debate both here and in the public arena would vanish if the protagonists of secularism in education would (1) insist on teachiong science as science and not philosophy and (2) acknowledging the open state of the questions concerning our origins and the fact that science does not provide - or attempt to provide an answer to it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sun 2 Apr, 2006 08:10 pm
Not a lot I'd argue against there george - quibble points, mostly. I disgree with very little of what you just said.

You did say you were not sure this is "...a debate involving religion" ... given the Topic Title, "Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?", this debate has no other focus or foundation.

What philosophers may think is inconsequential, a red herring, really, as is any question of penultimate origin either of the cosmos or of life on this planet - at discussion is ID's preposterous claim to be science of any sort - a proposition for which no valid, legitimate case may be made; ID by definition and unambiguous self-stated mission is a theophilosophic excersize, with if anything even less claim to consideration as science than has astrology.

That there be a political debate, that there would be those who advocate teaching mythology alongside and coequal with science well illustrates the pernicious, deceitful agenda of Fundamentalist Christian activists. The irony - and a rich irony indeed - is that ID-iocy's proponents serve best to discredit and marginalize Fundamentalist Christianity. In that, I applaud their efforts so far, acknowledge their success, and wish them more. They truly are today's luddites, and the more vigorously they press their case, the more exposed becomes the absurdity of their proposition and the archaic mindset at its foundation.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Sun 2 Apr, 2006 08:18 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
We evidently agree that science does not, and is not likely to ever explain the origin of life and the cosmos, but that it does indeed offer refutable hypotheses and theories for the explanation of the observable processes within it. This then admits the possibility of intelligent design at some level. I agree, it certainly doesn't require it. However the alternative is itself beyond understanding. This is the central point that virtually all of the heated debate on this thread has missed. Evolution and science do not compete with intelligent design any more than they compete with the philosophical view that questions about the origin of the cosmos are meaningless. The whole political debate both here and in the public arena would vanish if the protagonists of secularism in education would (1) insist on teachiong science as science and not philosophy and (2) acknowledging the open state of the questions concerning our origins and the fact that science does not provide - or attempt to provide an answer to it.

I would also insist that science not be taught as philosophy. However, I am not aware of any cases at the elementary or secondary level where science is being taught as philosophy. At the university level, I have heard of professors advocating the materialistic position that science makes religion obsolete.

As a political issue, elementary and secondary education is treated differently because school attendance is mandatory at that level. Young students are a "captive audience" and should not have religion or materialistic philosophy preached to them.

As far as intelligent design being an open question, it depends on whether you are referring to cosmic intelligent design or biological intelligent design. As a scientific hypothesis, biological intelligent design has been fairly well refuted. Natural selection remains the best explanation for biological diversity.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 2 Apr, 2006 10:55 pm
wandeljw wrote:
As far as intelligent design being an open question, it depends on whether you are referring to cosmic intelligent design or biological intelligent design. As a scientific hypothesis, biological intelligent design has been fairly well refuted. Natural selection remains the best explanation for biological diversity.

I think you are missing an important point here. Modern physics can, with some very important limitations, explain the evolution of the universe from the singularity with which the process (as understood by science) began, but it cannot explain the singularity itself or - in other words - how the cosmos came into existence. On that we apparently agree. Similarly in biology, evolution quite adequately explains the emergence of species and their diversity, but it does not and cannot explain the origin of life. Evolution is all about the successive adaptation of self-replecating organisms to their environment -- it does not explain the assembly of the first molecule of DNA or the first self-replecating organism.

timberlandko wrote:

...What philosophers may think is inconsequential, a red herring, really, as is any question of penultimate origin either of the cosmos or of life on this planet - at discussion is ID's preposterous claim to be science of any sort - a proposition for which no valid, legitimate case may be made; ID by definition and unambiguous self-stated mission is a theophilosophic excersize, with if anything even less claim to consideration as science than has astrology.

That there be a political debate, that there would be those who advocate teaching mythology alongside and coequal with science well illustrates the pernicious, deceitful agenda of Fundamentalist Christian activists. ...

The "IDiots" as you call them are complemented in this debate by secular proponents of the proposition that ID in any form is precluded or contradicted by science -- a proposition that we apparently agree is false. This too is a mythology, albeit a secular one. Moreover in intellectual terms it is just as absurd and Luddite as the views to which you ascribe fundamentalist Christians. Just as you and others object to the teaching of religion as though it was science, you should also object to the teaching of science as though it was philosophy.

Again I repeat my basic proposition -
Quote:
The whole political debate both here and in the public arena would vanish if the protagonists of secularism in education would (1) insist on teaching science as science and not philosophy and (2) acknowledging the open state of the questions concerning our origins and the fact that science does not provide - or attempt to provide an answer to it.

I believe that captures the essence of the current dispute. I accept your observation that some of the proponents of ID in schools would like to see elements of biblical or like texts inserted in basic science classes. We agree on the absurdity of that proposal. However for the majority of people concerned about the secularization of education and the materialist humanism, which is increasingly the unstated basis for what is offered in an largely dysfunctional public education system increasingly focused on social indoctrination at the expense of intellectual development, the essential motivator is objection to the contextual materialist humanism that pervades it. Without this element, I believe the dispute would quickly fizzle out to the few Luddites whom you and others incorrectly use to characterize the much larger mass of concerned people.

There are many people - on both sides of the issue - who fail to grasp the philosophical essence of the issue in question. Both trivialize the debate equally. The difference is the ignorance and folly of the "IDiots" is a good deal less fashionable today than the equivalent ignorance and folly of the self-appointed defenders of science who abound on this thread.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:29 pm
George, I don't accept the proposition that science is "being taught as philosophy" - though I do see that many philosophies are inconvenienced - some terminally so - by the hard, cold realities of science. The fraud of ID-iocy is 2-fold; it is neither science nor philosophy, but rather is a perversion of both, a fabric made of mischaracterizations crosswoven with ignorane; it seeks not to answer questions, not to discover, it seeks to bring and end to questioning, to end the voyages of discovery. It is of no academic, cultural, or philosophic benefit to humankind whatsoever, its goal is to reimpose by force of government medeival thought. It is not about seeking, discovering, learning and understanding, it is about denial, avoidance, fear, and superstition.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 3 Apr, 2006 12:00 am
When science is taught without any philosophical context, it is them, by default, being advanced as philosophy. This is the case in our public schools.

Assuming that when you write "ID-iocy", you refer specifically to the substitution of bibliacal formulas for the theory of evolution in sciencs classes, then I agree. However many here have used such phrases with much broader intent.

You should also acknowledge that postulated secular humanism, like postulated biblical lore, is likewise "about denial, avoidance, fear, and superstition" - merely denial of different things; avoidance of different questions; fear of different possibilities; and superstitions with different idols. It too is " a perversion of both (science and philosophy), a fabric made of mischaracterizations crosswoven with ignorane; it seeks not to answer questions, not to discover, it seeks to bring and end to questioning, to end the voyages of discovery".

Do that, and I will fully agree.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 3 Apr, 2006 07:59 am
The whole basis of the educational process as a public institution with an objective is that it is going into battle with the compelling forces of natural needs and desires and impulses which presumably derive from the evolutionary process.

Evolution theory is concerned with life forms in which no such inhibiting control and moulding is ranged against those forces.

The forces ranged against the evolutionary process and the compelling forces of needs,desires and impulses in nature are irrational to us.They are such things as climate change,asteroid strikes,volcanic activity,tectonic movements,changes in solar radiations and such like.

Thus evolution science becomes a study of the irrational and to bring to bear on it rational methods seems somewhat foolish unless one is getting paid or receiving some other reward.

The finished productions of nature at any particular time are the result of irrational processes whilst human society,and particularly advanced society,is the result of rationality or at the least aims to be.

If the balance within an educational system such as ours between religion and irreligion shifts as it would if science is emphasised more and religion is correspondingly diminished then a greater freedom for the sway of natural impulses is bound to take place unless another inhibiting factor is used to address it.Only the application of lesser or greater terror is available for such a task.

The frustration of natural urges results in impatience and anger and if the moral justifications of restraint are removed impatience and anger will increase and have to be met by increasing terror.

We have even seen tantrum-like behaviour on this thread.

It is a self awarded privilege to grant one's self-esteem the heady satisfactions of the categorical condemnation and it is no accident that anti-social impulses of that sort have been regularly exhibited by Essdeeoids and without the offering of any justifications for them.

This implies,indeed asserts,that only the situation of that self has validity and,again it is no accident,that this principle characterises the whole evolutionary process.

The danger of such self-indulgence lies in the obvious tendency towards the invalidation of the ideas of others which is the very opposite of education and dialectic and might easily be compared to the psychological ambience of the pram.

It has been suggested that attitudes of that type are common amongst those who have little experience of extreme conditions of mind such as elation,exhaustion and fear or of living with others under circumstances providing these mental conditions.

These attitudes see the actions of others as static in a frozen field where they can be easily judged and pronounced upon with certainty;uncertainty presumable being uncomfortable.

In actual fact the actions of others are points of force,in the present, in an ever shifting network of forces which is why they are not easily judged or pronounced upon.

The suspicion is bound to arise that it is the easiness which is attractive to idle minds.A preference for living with answers rather than questions.The very core of snobbery.

If this debate returns to the field of cosmic origins and metaphysical speculation it inevitably becomes incomprehensible although a charge of inconsistency may not be appropriate.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 3 Apr, 2006 08:18 am
WILLIAM DEMBSKI UPDATE

Quote:
Evolution theory on last legs, says seminary teacher
(By Dylan T. Lovan, ASSOCIATED PRESS, April 2, 2006)

LOUISVILLE - To William Dembski, all the debate in this country over evolution won't matter in a decade. By then, he says, the theory of evolution put forth by Charles Darwin 150 years ago will be dead.

The mathematician turned Darwin critic says there is much to be learned about how life evolved on this planet. And he thinks the model of evolution accepted by the scientific community won't be able to supply the answers. "I see this all disintegrating very quickly," he said.

Dembski is one of the country's leading proponents of intelligent design, which asserts that certain features of living organisms are best explained by an intelligent cause. The ideas put forth by Dembski's movement have piqued the interest of some school boards, churches and politicians -- including Kentucky's governor and President Bush.

But biologists call Dembski's statements on the death of evolution absurd. They say intelligent design, or ID, has failed as a science, so its supporters are trying to foster interest in a receptive public.

Dembski, who holds a Ph.D. in mathematics and philosophy, teaches a course on intelligent design at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville. He calls Darwinian evolution "viscerally unacceptable" to most Americans. "It is a reasonable question to ask if there are patterns in biological systems that point us to intelligence," he said in an interview. "It is a reasonable question to ask what are the limits to evolutionary mechanisms."

Kentucky Gov. Ernie Fletcher called design by an intelligent source a "self-evident truth" in his annual State of the Commonwealth address in January. Fletcher has said he would encourage schools to teach the concept.

That is despite a December ruling by a federal judge in Pennsylvania that intelligent design should not be taught as science in Dover, Pa., schools.
U.S. District Judge John E. Jones wrote that "overwhelming evidence at trial established that ID is a religious view, a mere relabeling of creationism, and not a scientific theory." Jones found intelligent design failed as a scientific theory because it can't be tested.

"He pretty much pegged it for what it was," said James Krupa, an associate biology professor at the University of Kentucky. "It really should just be called God theory."

Krupa said evolution science is not dying. "It's the driving force, it's the foundation of all biology," said Krupa, who teaches evolution courses at UK. "Natural selection and evolution theory are getting stronger and stronger."

For the American public, opinions on evolution vary. According to a 2004 Gallup poll, about 35 percent of Americans think Darwin's theory is well-supported by evidence, another 35 percent said it is not, and 29 percent said they didn't know enough about it.

Several state legislatures are considering bills critical of the traditional teaching of evolution in the classroom. Legislators in Oklahoma and Missouri have introduced measures to change science teaching standards. In Nevada, a masonry contractor has introduced a constitutional amendment that says there are many questions about evolution.

"It's an ongoing debate; I'm not surprised that the public tends to be somewhat interested in it," said Rob Crowther, a spokesman for the Seattle-based Discovery Institute, which funds intelligent design research.

That debate is fueled by a belief that Darwinian evolution is linked to atheism, said Eugenie Scott, director of the National Center for Science Education and a former UK professor. "This is actually, I think, key to understanding this whole controversy in this country: people think that because science restricts itself to a natural cause, it's therefore saying that God had nothing to do with it," Scott said.

Dembski and other proponents say intelligent design is in its infancy and not yet ready to be taught alongside evolution in the science classroom. Crowther said the Discovery Institute actually opposed the actions by the Pennsylvania school board that brought the federal court case. "People assume that we must be actively and aggressively seeking for intelligent design to be put in the classroom, and that's not our position," he said. "What should be required in a classroom is more about evolution, and by that we mean students should be able to learn not only the evidence that supports it but also some of the criticisms of the theory."

That is enough for now, Dembski said. "I guess I would say that even though intelligent design has a long way to go, it seems to me evolutionary theory is so problematic that just about any alternative that's scientific, or has the possibility (of being scientific) should be allowed on the table," he said.
0 Replies

xingu

Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:06 am
Wishful thinking on Dembski's part.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 3 Apr, 2006 10:49 am
xingu wrote-

Quote:
Wishful thinking on Dembski's part.

It's too easy to say that.

Dembski might be relying on anti-IDer's lack of follow through and staying power and on their inability to offer anything but dry,abstract,repetitive ideas,moral guidance or an interesting contribution to the field of art.Anti-IDers also go against the grain of a core feeling in humanity possibly of an unconscious, or at the least inarticulated,feeling.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:03 am
It is the last quote that reveals Dembski's motivation. He seems to be in favor of anything that's anti-evolution. If intelligent design is not ready, he would go along with "any alternative that's scientific or has the possibility":

Quote:
That is enough for now, Dembski said. "I guess I would say that even though intelligent design has a long way to go, it seems to me evolutionary theory is so problematic that just about any alternative that's scientific, or has the possibility (of being scientific) should be allowed on the table," he said.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 3 Apr, 2006 01:11 pm
wande-

It's very difficult to imagine what he has in mind.

I can only assume that Ph.D's are relatively easily come by in your system or that the quote doesn't fairly represent his position.

Perhaps he's thinking in terms of mass hypnosis.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 3 Apr, 2006 01:23 pm
spendi,

His Ph.D is in mathematics and he probably is a very good mathematician. Why a mathematician chooses to pursue scientific alternatives to evolutionary theory probably has nothing to do with his area of expertise.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Mon 3 Apr, 2006 01:58 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
When science is taught without any philosophical context, it is them, by default, being advanced as philosophy. This is the case in our public schools.

To this I casnnot agree; the objective presentation of documented, verifiable, testable fact is the objective presentation of documented, verifiable, testable fact, without philosophy or agenda beyond truth and its pursuit, regardless which or who's philosophy and/or adherents may self-perceive thereby to be threatened.

Quote:
Assuming that when you write "ID-iocy", you refer specifically to the substitution of bibliacal formulas for the theory of evolution in sciencs classes, then I agree. However many here have used such phrases with much broader intent.

Yes, when I refer to ID-iocy, I specifically indicate and disparage the return-to-medeival-thought agenda of bible-thumpers.

Quote:
You should also acknowledge that postulated secular humanism, like postulated biblical lore, is likewise "about denial, avoidance, fear, and superstition" - merely denial of different things; avoidance of different questions; fear of different possibilities; and superstitions with different idols. It too is " a perversion of both (science and philosophy), a fabric made of mischaracterizations crosswoven with ignorane; it seeks not to answer questions, not to discover, it seeks to bring and end to questioning, to end the voyages of discovery".

Here we have great basis for agreement and shared perception; many on both sides twist fact and truth to suit their own agenda.

Quote:
Do that, and I will fully agree.

We're probably closer on this than you sense - my primary objection to ID-iocy, apart from its wholly absurd central premis, is its surreptitious approach to by force of government impose Fundamentalist Christianity on The Nation's public education system. At root, those behind the endeavor are no different than those who peretrate terror in the name of Islam; facism is fascism, under whatever banner, and is the most severe and poximate danger facing civilization today.

I call to your attention the simple historic fact that throughout humankind's tenure on this planet, no cause been the occasion for and rationalization of more bloodshed, destruction, suffering, repression, and horror than The Will of God/the gods.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 3 Apr, 2006 02:30 pm
timber wrote-

Quote:
To this I casnnot agree; the objective presentation of documented, verifiable, testable fact is the objective presentation of documented, verifiable, testable fact, without philosophy or agenda beyond truth and its pursuit, regardless which or who's philosophy and/or adherents may self-perceive thereby to be threatened.

That is so pure a doctrine that it is unrealistic in a mass setting.The value judgements will have an influence on the "what" that is objectively presented where the decisions are made by people who are elected.Even I do that on here and we are adults. Such laser-like purity needs must be confined to discourse between scientists.

Quote:
Yes, when I refer to ID-iocy, I specifically indicate and disparage the return-to-medeival-thought agenda of bible-thumpers.

Is that anything like the 50s-60s Hollywood thought regarding marital bliss or heroic warriors being returned to on ceremonial occasions like St Valentine's day and other anniversaries.

Quote:
Here we have great basis for agreement and shared perception; many on both sides twist fact and truth to suit their own agenda.

Well-as we have had a number of offerings on the subject of what religionists fear perhaps this is an opportunity to hear what secular humanists fear.We wouldn't wish to see an agenda getting in the way of a balanced viewpoint.

Quote:
I call to your attention the simple historic fact that throughout humankind's tenure on this planet, no cause been the occasion for and rationalization of more bloodshed, destruction, suffering, repression, and horror than The Will of God/the gods.

As I have previously explained that is simply not true. It is the easy explanation of wars and bloodshed which is why it is so popular.It saves having to study and will be readily agreed to by those who haven't made the effort themselves.It is far too facile.
0 Replies