Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:30 pm
It has nothing to do with "politics," but everything to do with "reality."
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:30 pm
Rex, demonstrate objectively and in forensically valid manner that religious faith be differentiable from superstition.

I submit that no case may be made for the validity of the proposition there might be any such thing, condition, or state of being as necessarily is implied by the purely speculative allusion to "Gods hand in heaven".

Your entire proposition is afoundational, based only on preference-driven assumption, devoid of independent evidence, suppported solely by internal, self-referential claim. Logically and forensically, religion is an absurdity.
0 Replies

RexRed

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:34 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
It has nothing to do with "politics," but everything to do with "reality."

What the reality of political slant? We all can't be right...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:39 pm
Those who believe in any imaginary god has the disadvantage of their inability to provide any proof/evidence.
0 Replies

RexRed

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:42 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Rex, demonstrate objectively and in forensically valid manner that religious faith be differentiable from superstition.

I submit that no case may be made for the validity of the proposition there might be any such thing, condition, or state of being as necessarily is implied by the purely speculative allusion to "Gods hand in heaven".

Your entire proposition is afoundational, based only on preference-driven assumption, devoid of independent evidence, suppported solely by internal, self-referential claim. Logically and forensically, religion is an absurdity.

I can make that case actually quite scientifically but it is rather involved... It has to do with physical/spiritual energy within a person when the holy spirit is present...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 03:48 pm
What exactly is "spiritual energy?" It sounds like hokum.
0 Replies

RexRed

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 04:00 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
What exactly is "spiritual energy?" It sounds like hokum.

Have you ever witnessed a person get born again?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 04:03 pm
No, but I can conclude it to be an entirely self-imagined experience.
0 Replies

RexRed

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 04:04 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
No, but I can conclude it to be an entirely self-imagined experience.

Oh can you? Well don't be so sure... Slow to speak slow to wrath... Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 04:11 pm
Not only do "believers" become born again (although their Christian character does not instantly change) but they exhibit unique behaviors over time that were not present in the earlier state...

This behavior is only possible with the new birth and it is a "law" of the spirit...
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 04:18 pm
timber wrote for the umpteenth time-

Quote:

Religious faith is for public use whereas superstitions are for private.White magic if an end is "good" and black magic if it is for evil.

The word "religion" comes from the Latin "relegare" meaning to bind,to unify.

That's one BIG difference.

They are on one spectrum though but at opposite ends.
One shades to the other in infinitesimal gradations.

They have in common a reference to the supernatural but they differ in the kinds of ends pursued,the attitudes,particularities and in the type of actions used in their performance.

The end of a superstition is in the here and now,is of use and is private.But often religion is it's own end.It is indefinite.Like in calculus.But where it does have an end it is either in something outside this world or relating to the group dynamics.

Does that help?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:05 pm
No, spendi, that doesn't help; sophistry, rationalization, and equivocation, no matter how sincerely and nobly presented, never do.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:12 pm
spendi wrote:
"They have in common a reference to the supernatural ..."

spendi already conceded the fact that they are both superstitions. Supernatural implies "divine power, miraculous...," and we all know it's impossible for them to prove - similar to superstition - all based on faith.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:23 pm
I'll add to my post.

When religion is in operation the personal ego is sublimated in something higher,either to an imaginary transcendence or to a group objective and it is thus humbling.

When superstition is involved,for example that if you don't read the paragraphs out to the kids in Dover you will prosper,a bit like you will if a black cat crosses your path,the personal ego explodes
and feels a need to lead.Which is a serious no-no.
And essdeeoids are very unhumble as they have well proved by their constant repetition of the idea that their assertions are facts in the scientific sense.

And the meek will inherit the earth but only,as Spiro Agnew once famously said,"when we've finished with it".Good old Spiro.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:33 pm
spendi, Superstitions has nothing to do in the scientific sense. Superstititions are based on faith alone.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:34 pm
c.i. wrote-

Quote:
spendi already conceded the fact that they are both superstitions.

Have a go mate at trying not to think all the viewers
are stupid.Just for once.As an experiment.A shot in the dark if you will.A hypothesis.Ridiculous I'm sure but hypotheses are often ridiculous the first time they are tried out.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:39 pm
spendi, It's not a matter of whether "the viewers are all stupid." It's a matter of your inability to communicate in a sober and understandable way in about half of your posts.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 06:50 pm
timber asked for a difference meaning between superstitions and religions.

I offered him one.I know it was similar to the difference between breakfast and supper which are both eating but he did ask.

The difference between religion and superstition is the difference between pride and humility.The first is traditionally the No 1 of the Seven Deadly Sins and the second is a virtue of a high order.

That's why successful politicians stress so much the idea that they are "serving".
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:04 pm
Quote:
When religion is in operation the personal ego is sublimated in something higher,either to an imaginary transcendence or to a group objective and it is thus humbling.

Smoke the peyote, drink the koolaid, dont eat meat, dont eat anything with scales or fins, burn the incense, make them heel to the true god. Nope, doesnt sound like superstition goin on with any of these religious practices.
Arguing with the religious about matters they have no clue seems to be like ballpeening ones head repeatedly.

Ellpus has a thread about posting while drunk, think Ill go visit. At least he isnt delusional .
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 22 Mar, 2006 07:19 pm
spendius wrote:
timber asked for a difference meaning between superstitions and religions.

I offered him one.I know it was similar to the difference between breakfast and supper which are both eating but he did ask.

The difference between religion and superstition is the difference between pride and humility.The first is traditionally the No 1 of the Seven Deadly Sins and the second is a virtue of a high order.

That's why successful politicians stress so much the idea that they are "serving".

spendi, you present not answers but responses which do not satisfy the query to which you are responding. Sophistry, rationalization, and equivocation, no matter how sincerely and nobly presented, do not constitute rebuttal.
0 Replies