Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Mon 13 Mar, 2006 04:18 pm
c.i. wrote-

Quote:
"History" is not a giant or unreasonable assumption. If you're talking about micro-societies, then your thesis might hold some truths. Tyring to apply it to all cultures and times makes it useless.

I meant human history actually and there are plenty of people who think that the record we have of that is a bit iffy to say the least.

I'm not sure what the "it" refers to in the last sentence but if it is "history" you seem to be agreeing with me.

I don't think the "lessons of history" can remotely be applied to a society in which,to quote Mr Dylan-

"The ghosts of 'lectricity howl in the bones of her face."
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 13 Mar, 2006 04:23 pm
Wolf-

I think I have covered most of that at some point or other but I will make some effort with it later if I don't get too distracted.The pubs close in an hour or so and I must be gone.

But don't expect too much of me.I'm a little gagged by prevailing sensitivities as far as an open forum is concerned.Do you see Footballer's Wives?

Nice post though.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 13 Mar, 2006 04:26 pm
Recorded history is always "iffy," but that's all we have to rely on. Some are more dependable than others, but once-in-awhile, another written document will confirm what was believed to be the "history" of particular places and times.

As we know (and deemed common knowledge in many cases), the "lessons of history" are often ignored by subsequent leaders of any society.

Macro and micro societal issues differ in place and time; and most often, generalities are all one can suppose. It's not science so much as art; predictions of future societies based on any culture are impossible.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:09 pm
c.i. wrote-

Quote:
Recorded history is always "iffy," but that's all we have to rely on.

Not me.I rely on my wits.I'm more interested in being comfy than being right.

Quote:
It's not science so much as art; predictions of future societies based on any culture are impossible.

I reckon I can predict what a culture based on Darwinism will look like roughly.Its basic outlines.

I used to go to zoos.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:12 pm
To look at your cousins? LOL
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:20 pm
Sorry, couldn't resist.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:21 pm
c.i. wrote-

Quote:
To look at your cousins? LOL

For sure.Absolutely.No question about it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:26 pm
If you rely on your "wits," you have failed miserably. Most of your posts are hard to read, and difficult to discern. When you do write in understandable language, it shows ideas beyond those normally seen or heard. It's difficult to see through the bipolar personaly expressed in all of your posts. The mumbo jumbo you present sometimes can be confusing and irrational.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:36 pm
How can lessons learned in zoos be irrational?They didn't confuse me.

But I ought really to have explained that David Attenborough's programmes are the zoos of the TV age.

I thought the penguin trek to the icy wastes a perfect metaphor for the anti-IDers.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:37 pm
spendi. Since my return Ive noticed that your posts are not as rambling, they are, in fact, quite concise and precise, a habit we admire. Remember, your writing style, no matter what you may think of it, is best judged by your readers.
As for my trip, I might say that the Argentinians are all full of themselves and their leftist leadership for now. Still though, they are great people, and we (the US) arent showing our best faces to the lands down south.

As far as my work, if youd come with me through an eons worth of ooze and muck, Im sure you could be convinced of the weight of evidence for random dumass luck in the rise of great animals.
Although I was hunting special minerals and setting up for some seismic work, I still had time to see what some colleagues are doing in the discoveries of great flightless birds and some pre -Iapetan proto mammals. Good stuff

Quote:
Not a single devout Christian I've tried talking to has ever been persuaded that Darwinisim is correct. The devout Christian's belief in Creationism is as solid as the scientist's "belief" in Evolution.
Wolf ODonnell said this. The great majority o Christians have already made peace with the concept of evolution, and they support it, theyd be crazy not to. All we can do is provide evidence, how some people deny perfectly reasonable (albeit circumstantial) evidence to support a heuristic myhthology is not my concern. MY dog in all of these discussions has been focused upon one point. "Ishall not let the ID or Creationist mythology take the place of well evidenced science in classrooms that I have to support with my tax dollars" If the minority Evangelical Christains and Orthodox Jews and Wahabs wish to spread that stuff, they know how to start a school with their own money and they can gather up all their larvae and fill their minds with whatever legend of foundations they may wish.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:52 pm
fm wrote-

Quote:
As far as my work, if youd come with me through an eons worth of ooze and muck,

My maids don't fancy that and I'm not going anywhere without them unless I'm abducted at gun point.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:37 pm
Or a few pints, heh? Wink
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 14 Mar, 2006 06:37 am
CREATIONISM IN ENGLAND

Quote:
Intelligent design and educational stupidity
(by David Perks, Spiked, March 14, 2006)

After the verdict went against the teaching of intelligent design in schools in Dover, Pennsylvania, you could be forgiven for thinking that the argument for teaching creationism was on the decline However, in the UK the educational establishment seems hell-bent on introducing those very same ideas into all state schools.

As reported in The Times (London) on Friday, the OCR examination board has included a comparative study of creationist views on evolution alongside those of Darwin. But should we be surprised to see ideas promoted by the religious right in the USA dished up to schoolkids in Britain?

Even a cursory look at the new science GCSE is enough to give anyone pause for thought. As I have argued in the Times Educational Supplement, the new curriculum is riddled with ideas that have little to do with a formal scientific education and more to do with a sociological critique of science . It seems that the science education lobby is determined to undermine the idea that scientific knowledge has any objective basis in reality.

The agenda for reform of the science curriculum in UK schools is dominated by the view that formal science education is not important for the majority of children. Instead, the argument goes, children need to be taught to question the basis of scientific knowledge rather than just accept it as fact. This might sound like a good way to foster an intellectually independent mind. However, it is more likely to amplify young people's cynicism towards science in the school laboratory.

The same sociological critique of science that is driving the reform of science education here was used to defend the teaching of intelligent design in the Dover court case. Steve Fuller, professor of sociology at Warwick University, argued on behalf of the intelligent design lobby. Fuller believes Darwinism has had it all its own way for too long.

As Fuller sees it, Darwinism is being taught as dogma and intelligent design acts as a 'critical foil' to those ideas. To him, teaching intelligent design in US schools is the lesser of two evils, if it allows pupils to question the domination of the established scientific community when it comes to understanding evolution. For Fuller and other cultural critics of science, the loss of scientific objectivity is a small price to pay for a chance to undermine the dominance of the scientific elite.

This gives the lie to the idea that the attack on Darwinism is the product of a right-wing conspiracy to infiltrate mainstream education with Christian morality. Despite the work done to uncover the 'wedge' strategy of the intelligent design lobby in the USA, teachers would do well to look at the scientific and educational elites before looking for fundamentalist Christians under the bed.

The fact that the Discovery Institute and others in the USA are actively promoting an attack on science and its materialist philosophy should not scare us. They claim to be targeting the weak points in science's own arguments. This would only be of concern if science could not substantiate its argument. If the argument for evolution did not stand up it would deserve criticism - in fact, the strength of the claims made against Darwinian evolution is weak and unsubstantiated.

Far more serious is the turn away from science both here and in the USA. The inability of governments to counter panics about the use of science and technology - whether it is the scare over the MMR vaccination or the need for stem-cell research - suggests that the argument for science has been lost within the establishment itself. Despite an obvious need to maintain science as a cornerstone of modern technological advance, governments have fallen back into discussing science through the prism of risk and the precautionary principle.

This allows the cultural critics of science to repose the scientific establishment as an elite who are deaf to the concerns of the public. The collapse of the notion of scientific expertise, once highly regarded in the West, is now contrasted to the cultural claims of different groups within society, whose claims on knowledge are seen as more important than upholding scientific truth as a vehicle for progress. Thus we find ourselves not only witnessing the US establishment ditching its faith in science in favour of its Christian constituency, but also in Britain there is a growing recognition of the need to respect Muslim beliefs.

But what escapes most commentators is that both Muslim and Christian views on Darwinism are a recent product of the attack on scientific certainty in the West. The anti-Darwinian views of Muslims are not a product of the Koran. Instead, they are a product of the same left-wing critique of scientific elitism which has predominated in Western universities for the past 20 or so years.

The intelligent design movement arose from the collapse of attempts to push 'young earth' creationism into US schools in the 1990s. The proponents of intelligent design consciously adopted the tactics of the cultural critics of science by presenting their own argument for teaching scientific uncertainty. Despite their hostility towards each other, the similarity between the Muslim and Christian attacks on Darwinism belies their common roots. The attack on science is a product of Western anti-elitist politics.

It is the argument between the proponents of science and its cultural relativist critics in the UK and the USA that should be our real target. Unless scientists and teachers can re-establish a sense of science as a progressive social project, we will not be able to halt the slide. Standing up for science now means being prepared to win the arguments for progress with those who want to accept muddle-headed semi-religious ideas in its place rather than dismissing them.

On this point, I agree with Steve Fuller rather than Richard Dawkins. Lambasting religion as being the source of all evil will win no-one to the cause of science. Instead, we need to understand why people think science has lost its relevance to them, and challenge the idea that science is an elitist tool of domination.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 14 Mar, 2006 06:58 am
from wandeljw's clip re: Creeping Creationism in the UK
Quote:
The agenda for reform of the science curriculum in UK schools is dominated by the view that formal science education is not important for the majority of children. Instead, the argument goes, children need to be taught to question the basis of scientific knowledge rather than just accept it as fact. This might sound like a good way to foster an intellectually independent mind. However, it is more likely to amplify young people's cynicism towards science in the school laboratory.

Mark Twain once wrote a piece about how he edited an agricultural newspaper in Tennessee. In that newspaper he gave sage advice as to "The proper method with which to pick watermelons from their trees" and "The best way to dig up beans so as not to bruise them with the fork"
My point is, we cant expect valid critique from those ignorant of what they are critiquing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:02 am
farmerman wrote:
My point is, we cant expect valid critique from those ignorant of what they are critiquing.

I can't think why you'd make such a remark. That's never stopped "real life" or Spendius.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:33 am
my taxes dont support the opinions of the aforementioned individuals. I wont see their stuff on my kids tests.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 14 Mar, 2006 07:55 am
Wolf-

I don't think Hoyle's ideas created anywhere near the amount of controvesy as Darwin's theory has.

Quote:
Don't you think you're giving a bit too much credit to Evolution? How will it threaten the way society is governed and controlled? Hm?

I'm really referring to the effects of its widespread acceptance and the consequent demise of religious beliefs.I think those effects are too sordid to speculate upon here.I fear you are indulging in the comforts of Creationism's structures without the knowledge of what the alternative might be like.

Quote:
You speak of Evolution as if it were some great anti-God religion. Yet there's nothing in Evolution to say there is no God. Nothing.

That is pedantic and disingenuous.Creationists believe in a "hands-on" God and Evolution theory might well allow for a "hands-off" God but that is a mere sophistical point in relation to society and of no real interest.

Quote:
At the same time it provides a theatre for others to displace the traditional forms of goverance and to take their place.

How?

Come,come Wolf.The Humanist Association are already advertising to conduct birth,marriage and death ceremonies which are prime sources of income for churches of all denominations.Many churches have been closed for want of income and are either demolished or taken over for commercial uses.The churches do need income to survive and if they disappear the money which has been supporting them will be used for other reasons.Such a disappearance will remove religious values from public life.

Quote:
Rubbish. Not a single devout Christian I've tried talking to has ever been persuaded that Darwinisim is correct. The devout Christian's belief in Creationism is as solid as the scientist's "belief" in Evolution.

That is disingenuous too because its whole meaning is posited on the word "devout".I am more interested in average people to whom the values of Christianity are a backdrop to their lives.

How do you explain the values which underpin the cull of hedgehogs in Scotland in order to protect ground nesting birds? Wouldn't an evolutionist allow the hedgehogs to do what they will and let the birds shift for themselves? What "devout" evolutionist would cosset one species because it looks pretty and victimise another species because it is successful in nature.

And why has there been a debate going on on BBC radio all day about people pretending to be Christians in order to get their children into Church schools unless those parents think that a Church school provides a better education?

Quote:
Yeah, except that Iran isn't too keen on Evolution or anything related to it.

That completely misses the point I made and besides that "isn't too keen" is a bit elastic in its meaning.I chose Iran as an extreme case where strong religious beliefs do not seem to be holding nuclear science back.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 14 Mar, 2006 08:21 am
Even allowing for some obvious bias in wande's quote there is a marked difference in its quality to some of the quotes he has given us from American journals.

I have made a number of the points it contains over the last months and been insulted for my pains.

The main one being that this debate is not cut-and-dried and to say it is does no good to the scientific position and more than likely harms it.

Quote:
On this point, I agree with Steve Fuller rather than Richard Dawkins. Lambasting religion as being the source of all evil will win no-one to the cause of science. Instead, we need to understand why people think science has lost its relevance to them, and challenge the idea that science is an elitist tool of domination.

A fair summary of some of my points and from a scientist I gather.

I hope some of you feel suitably chastened.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 14 Mar, 2006 08:43 am
spendius,

The author, David Perks, is a science teacher in South London.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 14 Mar, 2006 08:59 am
Quotes from the Sunday Times article BRITAIN'S SECRET NUCLEAR BLUEPRINT.

1-"We are ahead of the Americans."

2-"We have been investing in the best young scientists coming out of nuclear physics departments at British universities," said one British official. "Watching the AWE (Atomic Weapons Establishment,Aldermaston,Berkshire.) scientists standing next to their US counterparts it was noticeable how young they were." Perhaps it was no surprise that a week later the head of the American nuclear programme was talking about 'revitalising' his own team."

Ho oh.Is the scaremongering that ID will hold science back in the US simply a snow job to hide the possible featherbedding of old fogies and well connected dummies.

Google S.Times and read the lot.It is quite interesting.
0 Replies