Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

rosborne979

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 11:11 am
spendius wrote:
I think people who only focus on the history of great men are probably from that section of the population,thankfully not too large,who believe that they,by rights,ought to be great men themselves.

That statement reminds me a lot of the repeated implications you make about people who *talk* about science when they don't actually *understand* science, just to make themselves appear smart.

This seems to be a recurring theme with you. You just seem to think that most people are blowhards who want to make themselves look good by association with non-blowhards.

Why do you think you feel that way?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 11:37 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Can you locate a copy of the Bill itself. There seems to be some disagreement on what it actually does/says.

The proposed Wisconsin bill is very brief:
Quote:
LRB-2463 Pseudo-Science Prevention Act
This bill would only allow material to be taught as science in public school science courses if it:
1.is testable as a scientific hypothesis
2.describes only natural processes
3.is consistent with any description or definition of science adopted by the National Academy of Sciences

On her website, Wisconsin Representative Therese Berceau comments:
Quote:
The bill would still allow intelligent design and creationism to be taught in non-science courses, such as comparative religion, social sciences, philosophy, and even history of science.

Intelligent design or creationism may still be taught in science courses, as long as it is not presented as science, but rather as an example of non-science.

But creationism and intelligent design would not be permitted to be presented as science in Wisconsin public school science courses.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:02 pm
Quote:
Berceau said only one person in an e-mail called her a "communist" and an "atheist."

Does the "only" register a disappointment?

Having raised the idea herself one might have thought Ms Berceau would have denied it unless the link between "communist","atheist",creationism and opposition to religious education is being "hinted at".

We do know that communist countries eradicated religion from their educational system and that some unusual sexual practices were one of the results.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:04 pm
spendi,

please note rosborne's kind offer to serve as a therapist. Smile
0 Replies

username

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:06 pm
Spendius, quote: "We do know that communist countries eradicated religion from their educational system and that some unusual sexual practices were one of the results."

???

Documentation, please.
0 Replies

Francis

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:15 pm
UN - Eproctophilia comes to mind

But you can choose in this list:
Unusual sexual practices
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:28 pm
ros wrote-

Quote:
That statement reminds me a lot of the repeated implications you make about people who *talk* about science when they don't actually *understand* science, just to make themselves appear smart.

This seems to be a recurring theme with you. You just seem to think that most people are blowhards who want to make themselves look good by association with non-blowhards.

Why do you think you feel that way?

I have a lot of experience of that sort of thing with people who think science has social cachet and as soon as they are asked why they live their lives in a non-scientific manner start on the insults and the raspberries.Naturally,amongst themselves,such questions never arise so they have no need to face up to them.

There are no scientists on here opposing ID.That I can assure you of.

But don't worry boys-I'm not expecting you to admit it.I'm not that daft.

It's exactly the same with football tactics.Friday night brings the football "experts" out in force and most of them haven't the faintest idea about that either but to those who know little about it they can often seem impressive.

In politics the situation is even worse.

But I don't mind.You can pose anyway you wish as far as I'm concerned.It amuses me actually.I quite enjoy bursting out laughing in the pub when a pompous statement of the most utter naiveity is offered with unfaked gravitas as a guide to how the country ought to be run from somebody who has a known attention span of a few seconds and has made the totally unwarranted assumption that all his/her audience is as completely stupid as he/she is.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:33 pm
username wrote-

Quote:

Documentation, please.

Do your own digging.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:36 pm
Hey Francis!Even a scientist would draw the line at some of that lot.But only on the grounds of efficiency.Nothing moral obviously.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:39 pm
spendius, in afit of Island pique
Quote:
Do your own digging.
UN-obviously you dont know the drill around here. Spendi makes the outlandish claims but we have to prove that hes full of ****.

Spendi, youre creeping out the audience
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:58 pm
Not another ready made assertion fm.For goodness sake man-they're worthless.I might have to convert to SD shortly to repair some of the damage such things cause it.

There's nearly 50,000 views on this thread.Is that "creeping out" the audience or is it your idea of the audience.
0 Replies

username

Spendius, I too quite enjoy bursting out laughing in the pub when a pompous statement of the most utter naiveity is offered with unfaked gravitas from somebody who has a known attention span of a few seconds and has made the totally unwarranted assumption that all his/her audience is as completely stupid as he/she is.

Congratulations on winning this hour's utter naiveity (sic) award.
0 Replies

Francis

spendius wrote:
Hey Francis!Even a scientist would draw the line at some of that lot.But only on the grounds of efficiency.Nothing moral obviously.

But I have drawn my own line yet. I have some morality.

I posted for scientific (and fun) purposes, for the edification of the crowd.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:01 pm
Francis,

We indeed appreciated it in a strictly scientific way.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:06 pm
UN

I occasionally toss out a spelling mistake just to see who jumps upon it in their hour of need.A sort of face-saving offering.
0 Replies

username

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:14 pm
As well as utterly naive statements, also to test us?
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:14 pm
Francis-

You ought to have warned our readers not to click the link at the bottom of the list you so kindly provided.Their computer will catch flu I fear.

I must admit though that there are a few even I haven't heard of before.I'm a girl next door fanatic.The ones who lower their eyelids sweetly onto the prayerbook when the priest says-"you may now kiss the bride".These advanced amoral females scare me shitless.
0 Replies

username

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:16 pm
So the pomposity is a test too?
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:40 pm
hell spendi is a vast petri dish of useless linguistics. Well maybe not fully vast, only half.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:08 pm
farmerman wrote:
hell spendi is a vast petri dish of useless linguistics. Well maybe not fully vast, only half.

There is no known diagnosis for this problem. We have been having a difficult time treating this.
0 Replies