Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Frank Apisa

Fri 7 Oct, 2022 08:53 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

For those who prefer the 'Argument from Authority', here is the 'holy grail' of authority (the journal 'Nature') documenting just one of the factors in the 'Protein argument' posted earlier. Emphasis in abstract mine, but unfortunately a number with a three digit exponent is meaningless to a human. But it can be accurately thought of as the point at which unlikely disappears into the impossible.
The irony is that the authors cannot see the obvious implications of their own research. The obligatory plug for 'evolution' doing the impossible is always good for a chuckle too.

Quote:
NMR-guided directed evolution

Sagar Bhattacharya, Eleonora G. Margheritis, Katsuya Takahashi, Alona Kulesha, Areetha D’Souza, Inhye Kim, Jennifer H. Yoon, Jeremy R. H. Tame, Alexander N. Volkov, Olga V. Makhlynets & Ivan V. Korendovych
Nature (2022)Cite this article

Abstract

Directed evolution is a powerful tool for improving existing properties and imparting completely new functionalities to proteins1,2,3,4. Nonetheless, its potential in even small proteins is inherently limited by the astronomical number of possible amino acid sequences. Sampling the complete sequence space of a 100-residue protein would require testing of 20^100 combinations, which is beyond any existing experimental approach. In practice, selective modification of relatively few residues is sufficient for efficient improvement, functional enhancement and repurposing of existing proteins5. Moreover, computational methods have been developed to predict the locations and, in certain cases, identities of potentially productive mutations6,7,8,9. Importantly, all current approaches for prediction of hot spots and productive mutations rely heavily on structural information and/or bioinformatics, which is not always available for proteins of interest. Moreover, they offer a limited ability to identify beneficial mutations far from the active site, even though such changes may markedly improve the catalytic properties of an enzyme10. Machine learning methods have recently showed promise in predicting productive mutations11, but they frequently require large, high-quality training datasets, which are difficult to obtain in directed evolution experiments. Here we show that mutagenic hot spots in enzymes can be identified using NMR spectroscopy. In a proof-of-concept study, we converted myoglobin, a non-enzymatic oxygen storage protein, into a highly efficient Kemp eliminase using only three mutations. The observed levels of catalytic efficiency exceed those of proteins designed using current approaches and are similar with those of natural enzymes for the reactions that they are evolved to catalyse. Given the simplicity of this experimental approach, which requires no a priori structural or bioinformatic knowledge, we expect it to be widely applicable and to enable the full potential of directed enzyme evolution.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05278-9

If "existence" is eternal and infinite...a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1...is a sure thing.

It will happen.

IF "existence" is eternal and infinite...there is no point at which "unlikely disappears into the impossible."

People who want to make the blind guess "intelligent design HAS TO BE" have a very difficult time absorbing that.

Blind guesses can do that to ya!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 7 Oct, 2022 01:48 pm
Leadfoot wrote:
Emphasis in abstract mine, but unfortunately a number with a three digit exponent is meaningless to a human.

Whatever that means.
Leadfoot wrote:
But it can be accurately thought of as the point at which unlikely disappears into the impossible.

You're confusing, as has been your tendency time and time again, long odds with impossibility. What do your assertions have to do with this method of protein engineering and the study of experimental evolution, anyhow?
edgarblythe

Sat 8 Oct, 2022 09:28 am
It's so ridiculous to think a god would sit back and let it all happen naturally, then intervene in one step of the process, then let it all go on its own again. Here we are decimating the god's chosen planet, making it uninhabitable by increasing the activities causing climate change, extincting nature, probably including ourselves - On a speck of a clod out of trillions in the universe - What's this god's plan, if it exists at all? Too ridiculous to contemplate.
Leadfoot

Sat 8 Oct, 2022 09:54 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
You're confusing, as has been your tendency time and time again, long odds with impossibility.

No, I’m not. Back at you.

Leadfoot

Sat 8 Oct, 2022 10:05 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
What's this god's plan, if it exists at all? Too ridiculous to contemplate.

It is always interesting how a purely scientific argument inevitably brings up 'God'. And most frequently by the ones who don’t believe that one exists.

What do you think of a guy who asks the ultimate question of life and without pause says it’s too ridiculous to even contemplate.
edgarblythe

Sat 8 Oct, 2022 10:57 am
@Leadfoot,
Reversing the statement does not answer the implecation.
coluber2001

Sun 9 Oct, 2022 11:48 am
Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion? It's a misnomer. Intelligent design is a hypothesis, not a theory, because it hasn't been tested.

A hypothesis is a proposed, educated explanation for a phenomenon. If the hypothesis hasn't been tested, can't be tested, or if it fails just one test, then it is not a theory.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Tue 11 Oct, 2022 11:33 pm
@Leadfoot,
Yes you are.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 26 Oct, 2022 07:27 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
What's this god's plan, if it exists at all? Too ridiculous to contemplate.

It is always interesting how a purely scientific argument inevitably brings up 'God'. And most frequently by the ones who don’t believe that one exists.

In your case, you brought up God and biblical mythology to boot, as well.
Leadfoot

Fri 28 Oct, 2022 05:55 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:
Ah yes, something has obviously tampered with the awesome genome of virtually all biological entities.

Reminds me of a Bible story, but judging by your conclusion, you’re not interested.

IB replied:
I'm game.

The censors deleted my previous answer. Maybe Mr. Musk will buy A2K and end such cowardice here as well.

But are you game, or not? I don’t believe you are.
Leadfoot

Fri 28 Oct, 2022 06:14 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Reversing the statement does not answer the implecation.
The selective censorship on this thread has made it very hard to follow.

Which statement are you referring to?
edgarblythe

Fri 28 Oct, 2022 07:43 am
@Leadfoot,
That's from weeks ago. Not interested in going back.
Leadfoot

Fri 28 Oct, 2022 08:18 am
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, still live'n in the moment!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 28 Oct, 2022 12:55 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Leadfoot wrote:
Ah yes, something has obviously tampered with the awesome genome of virtually all biological entities.

Reminds me of a Bible story, but judging by your conclusion, you’re not interested.

IB replied:
I'm game.

The censors deleted my previous answer. Maybe Mr. Musk will buy A2K and end such cowardice here as well.

But are you game, or not? I don’t believe you are.

I already said I was; the post I linked was your response.
Leadfoot

Fri 28 Oct, 2022 01:04 pm
@InfraBlue,
I don’t believe you even saw my response. It was deleted with in a minute by the Censors. Quote it to me and I’ll verify if you’re interested.

BTW, Go Elon!. I might have to get a twitter account now.
Jasper10

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 03:58 am
@ebrown p,
In answer to the original post question and the initial response.

So this response is claiming that established science is unintelligent.

This probably explains why established science cannot explain how the 4 off magnetic force interactions cancel out.

How do you cancel out the NN...NS...SN...SS interactions if they only provide 2 attractions and 2 repulsions?

You can't.

All you can do is balance them.

edgarblythe

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 04:57 am
@Leadfoot,
I would like to know what it is you keep posting that keeps getting deleted. They aren't phantom posts are they?
Leadfoot wrote:

I don’t believe you even saw my response. It was deleted with in a minute by the Censors. Quote it to me and I’ll verify if you’re interested.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 05:01 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Now you can spread, lies dusinformation and hate speech.

**** the truth, **** decency go Elon.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 05:22 am
@Jasper10,
So as it IS impossible to cancel out the SYSTEM magnetic force interactions NN...SN...NS...SS, how do you balance them?

Well what you do, I would suggest, is that you introduce SPIN and WOBBLE. between all the electromagnets in the cosmos at the macro and micro levels which will provide a push/pull vibratory balance and also provides the means by which 0,0...0,1...1,0....1,1 logic software is created. After all, the biological brain/computer needs a software to function.

I would suggest that this is a rational UNITED scientific explanation for how things operate across the sciences and moves us into 3D science rather than 2D science.

Jasper10

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 05:28 am
@Jasper10,
I would suggest that you need to be intelligent to understand it.