Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Leadfoot

Thu 28 Apr, 2022 05:44 pm
@InfraBlue,
Just speculation but it fits the narrative in the garden story pretty good.
That death sentence they got could be the source of cellular apoptosis.
And the major increase in sweat required to feed ourselves, weed the garden, fight off bugs and other pests - all that could be reversed with a little genetic tinkering. Once we get good enough at it anyway.
Or maybe the original designer will do it for us before we get that far.

And then there’s that verse that goes: 'We struggle not against flesh and blood, but against powers and principalities…etc.'. Who knows what mischief they might be up to.

InfraBlue

Thu 28 Apr, 2022 08:00 pm
@Leadfoot,

M'kay.

Leadfoot wrote:
That death sentence they got could be the source of cellular apoptosis.

Trinucleotide repeat disorders aren't a part of normal apoptosis, of which huntingtin protein plays an antiapoptosis role. The point of my post was to use examples of instances of bad "LANGUAGE with syntax, words, punctuation, definitions, etc. of DNA," such as trinucleotide repeat disorders, to contradict your assertions that "biological life had to be designed," and "it is the multiple hierarchical levels of symbolic representation in DNA that demands a design," and "the odds are not what I would call possible," and "what cannot be reasonably believed is that 'nature' took that first accidental protein and then invented a symbolic language (encoded in DNA) that was able to be read and executed by yet another different protein in order to make more proteins" and "it is the symbolic nature of DNA's language that required 'design'," and this pièce de résistance "I only know that the design paradigm that ALL biological life utilizes was the result of an intelligent designer."

You've merely pivoted to avoid my counterargument.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 29 Apr, 2022 09:30 am
The last two posts to the thread vanished.
bobsal u1553115

Fri 29 Apr, 2022 10:10 am
@edgarblythe,
One of them was mine. I apologize for going over the top.
edgarblythe

Fri 29 Apr, 2022 11:10 am
@bobsal u1553115,
If one was yours more than two vanished
Yalow

Fri 29 Apr, 2022 05:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ghost posts? *shudders*
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 29 Apr, 2022 08:32 pm
The thread's having a temporary pause. Then the same retreads of arguments will resume with nothing different being offered.
bobsal u1553115

Fri 29 Apr, 2022 09:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
A common enough 'effect' here on a2k. To everyone's relief, I'm sure, I try to duck out when I see the same arguments or new information.
edgarblythe

Sat 30 Apr, 2022 07:23 am
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page
Some good reads here.
bulmabriefs144

Sat 30 Apr, 2022 09:25 am
@edgarblythe,
You know the main page is subject to change, right?

https://infogalactic.com/info/Main_Page
Here's InfoGalactic's main page. I suspect they'll have different articles tomorrow.

Btw, I wouldn't touch RationalWiki with a ten-foot pole. They are dishonest and pretentious as hell. Sure call yourselves Rational if you want.

But here's a nice article cited by InfoGalactic...
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/aaron-rodgers-science-cant-be-questioned-propaganda

That's right, in the pursuit of this...
Quote:
Analyzing and refuting pseudoscience and the anti-science movement

They have failed to establish that actual science involves questioning science.
farmerman

Sat 3 Sep, 2022 01:27 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
Baryology, is relativly new "sicipline" of th ID/Cretaion Science. Its looking to define the various "kinds of species by saying that,e g, "the cat kind"; is up around the order lvel of flid animals ,
It uses molecular biology and genetics in a kind of twistesd way. Its th newest kid on the Cretionim/ID block . volution stays ahead by mwrely stating that all changs of animals and plants occured at wholely ifferent times
0 Replies

hingehead

Sun 4 Sep, 2022 09:00 pm
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/9c/76/84/9c76845e3cf10c5e952437ca2e949f96.jpg
farmerman

Mon 5 Sep, 2022 05:50 am
@hingehead,
Baryology attempts to siestep biblical references by dapting a phony"Quai cientific language" Where if blows apart is its non understanding of paleontology and mis understanding of genetics. It agrees that SPeciation does occur, but sort of "ALL A T ONCE".
bobsal u1553115

Mon 5 Sep, 2022 02:04 pm
@farmerman,
It took me years to understand that conditions don't favor genetic mutation, that the mutations either work or don't with changing conditions. While I knew that conditions were independent of evolution, I thought that adaption was the key, not random mutation.

This is natural selection.

Carl Sagan's 'The Dragons of Eden' is a such a good book.
The Anointed

Mon 5 Sep, 2022 05:36 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Carl Sagan's 'The Dragons of Eden' is a such a good book.

“Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors”, a book by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan is another exceptional read on the evolutionary history of life on Earth, focusing especially on the discussion of where the forerunners of the human race began to develop into other species.

Revealing how mankind, the most-high in the animal kingdom developed from the very first lifeform to have crawled out of the primordial waters of the earth, and just as we have developed within the bodies of our animal ancestors, "THE SON OF MAN" our God the 'MOST-HIGH in the creation, who is the evolving spirit/mind in man, actually already exists in Space Time independent of the body of man.

Or do you honestly believe that Mankind closes the book of evolution?

How wonderful it will be when He reveals himself to us all.

Have you ever studied the evolution of the most intricate and complex machinery that exists today, which machinery has evolved from the very first wheel that the creator of that machinery had made way back in time?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 26 Sep, 2022 11:26 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
I try to duck out when I see the same arguments or new information.

Unless that was a massive typo, you must like staying in the dark.
edgarblythe

Mon 26 Sep, 2022 12:12 pm
@Leadfoot,
Hello, Leadfoot. Hope you are well.
Leadfoot

Mon 26 Sep, 2022 12:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thanks Edgar, all good here. Just getting ready for the Fall leaf-peeping tour before heading back to FL. Looks like a banner year for color.

Hope all is well with you too. You still sound strong.
edgarblythe

Mon 26 Sep, 2022 02:42 pm
@Leadfoot,
Thanks. Doing well for one just turned 80.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 7 Oct, 2022 08:17 am
For those who prefer the 'Argument from Authority', here is the 'holy grail' of authority (the journal 'Nature') documenting just one of the factors in the 'Protein argument' posted earlier. Emphasis in abstract mine, but unfortunately a number with a three digit exponent is meaningless to a human. But it can be accurately thought of as the point at which unlikely disappears into the impossible.
The irony is that the authors cannot see the obvious implications of their own research. The obligatory plug for 'evolution' doing the impossible is always good for a chuckle too.

Quote:
NMR-guided directed evolution

Sagar Bhattacharya, Eleonora G. Margheritis, Katsuya Takahashi, Alona Kulesha, Areetha D’Souza, Inhye Kim, Jennifer H. Yoon, Jeremy R. H. Tame, Alexander N. Volkov, Olga V. Makhlynets & Ivan V. Korendovych
Nature (2022)Cite this article

Abstract

Directed evolution is a powerful tool for improving existing properties and imparting completely new functionalities to proteins1,2,3,4. Nonetheless, its potential in even small proteins is inherently limited by the astronomical number of possible amino acid sequences. Sampling the complete sequence space of a 100-residue protein would require testing of 20^100 combinations, which is beyond any existing experimental approach. In practice, selective modification of relatively few residues is sufficient for efficient improvement, functional enhancement and repurposing of existing proteins5. Moreover, computational methods have been developed to predict the locations and, in certain cases, identities of potentially productive mutations6,7,8,9. Importantly, all current approaches for prediction of hot spots and productive mutations rely heavily on structural information and/or bioinformatics, which is not always available for proteins of interest. Moreover, they offer a limited ability to identify beneficial mutations far from the active site, even though such changes may markedly improve the catalytic properties of an enzyme10. Machine learning methods have recently showed promise in predicting productive mutations11, but they frequently require large, high-quality training datasets, which are difficult to obtain in directed evolution experiments. Here we show that mutagenic hot spots in enzymes can be identified using NMR spectroscopy. In a proof-of-concept study, we converted myoglobin, a non-enzymatic oxygen storage protein, into a highly efficient Kemp eliminase using only three mutations. The observed levels of catalytic efficiency exceed those of proteins designed using current approaches and are similar with those of natural enzymes for the reactions that they are evolved to catalyse. Given the simplicity of this experimental approach, which requires no a priori structural or bioinformatic knowledge, we expect it to be widely applicable and to enable the full potential of directed enzyme evolution.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05278-9