Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

bobsal u1553115

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 11:29 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank you are consistent and clear. Some folks don't know the difference between listing beliefs and producing evidence.
Leadfoot

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 11:29 am
@izzythepush,
That was a slip, I meant quotes. I edited.

So I take it you believe/think/have the opinion that the concept of 'evidence' is bogus? You live in those rarified heights where you know only that you can never know too?

You’ve got more company than me.
izzythepush

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 11:34 am
@Leadfoot,
I understand the English language, that is all my post confirmed.

Stop trying to put words in other people's mouths.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 11:37 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Anything that has not been established as impossible...is possible. .

OK, thanks Frank. That answers my question about your quotes around “evidence” too.
And leaves no room for discussion if Evidence is an illusion and one thing is just as likely as another.
Frank Apisa

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 11:52 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

That was a slip, I meant quotes. I edited.

No problem. I use quotes because the stuff you are calling "evidence" is so ambiguous, I am not sure of what it is evidence for. Fact is...IF THERE IS AT LEAST ONE GOD...EVERYTHING IN THIS UNIVERSE IS EVIDENCE OF THAT GOD.

AND IF THERE ARE NO GODS...EVERYTHING IN THIS UNIVERSE IS EVIDENCE THAT THERE ARE NO GODS.

So I do not know if trees or fish or turnips or DNA is evidence that at least one god exists or if it is evidence that no gods exist.

Quote:
So I take it you believe/think/have the opinion that the concept of 'evidence' is bogus?

Not at all, Leadfoot.

But I am of the opinion that the "evidence" you are asking me to consider...is of no value at all in the issue we are discussing.

Quote:
You live in those rarified heights where you know only that you can never know too?

Aha...a clue. Thank you for that.

Quote:
You’ve got more company than me.

Okay. If you suppose you KNOW...not much I can say. I do KNOW that I do not KNOW.
Leadfoot

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 11:55 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Some folks don't know the difference between listing beliefs and producing evidence.

Only my conclusion in my argument was an opinion/belief/conclusion.

Every fact or statement other than that was 100% accepted mainstream biological science and I challenge you to prove otherwise.

I just presented the fact. Others are free to come to their own conclusion. I stated mine as a point from which others could offer counter argument (hopefully science or logic based)

But snide remarks are ok too if you can’t do the science.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 11:59 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Anything that has not been established as impossible...is possible. .

OK, thanks Frank. That answers my question about your quotes around “evidence” too.
And leaves no room for discussion if Evidence is an illusion and one thing is just as likely as another.

Where do you come up with this stuff?

Where have I ever said or intimated that "evidence is an illusion" or "one thing is just as likely as another?"

I do not think evidence is an illusion at all. But some evidence is of no value at all. You cannot derive any meaningful conclusions from it.

And as for one thing as likely as another...well, I love golf. I play five days a week. But if I were to play a round against Scottie Scheffler tomorrow, it is NOT JUST AS LIKELY THAT I WOULD WIN AS THAT HE WOULD.
Leadfoot

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 12:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Okay. If you suppose you KNOW...not much I can say. I do KNOW that I do not KNOW.

No, no!, that’s perfectly fine, whole buncha stuff I don’t know either.

It’s 'I know that I don’t know and that neither you nor I can ever know.' (Paraphrased from very old conversation) that I object to.

I think that’s where it got ‘abhorrent' before.

Only an idiot pretends to know what he doesn’t. No problem there.
edgarblythe

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 12:10 pm
@Leadfoot,
As I stated earlier I am open to civil discussion, but have to make an exception for bullies, racists, and megalomaniacs. People such as you and Izzie and some others who frequent the pages will find me willing and open.
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
We can have fun discussing without making war on one another.

One can hope so anyway. But the weight of evidence ….

Leadfoot

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 12:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
And as for one thing as likely as another...well, I love golf. I play five days a week. But if I were to play a round against Scottie Scheffler tomorrow, it is NOT JUST AS LIKELY THAT I WOULD WIN AS THAT HE WOULD.

I don’t know Scottie so I have no evidence to go on.

But I am glad you recognize that evidence is a valid concept.

If I encounter Chuck Yeager on this afternoon’s flight, it is not likely I would win in a dogfight.
izzythepush

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 12:21 pm
@Leadfoot,
Believe me, you don't want to give a scottie anything to go on.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qWtdWLBeJAE/mqdefault.jpg
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 12:26 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

No, no!, that’s perfectly fine, whole buncha stuff I don’t know either.

It’s 'I know that I don’t know and that neither you nor I can ever know.' (Paraphrased from very old conversation) that I object to.

I think that’s where it got ‘abhorrent' before.

Only an idiot pretends to know what he doesn’t. No problem there.

Only thing I would respond to here is that I try to refrain from saying stuff like "...can never know." That is an assertion I cannot make. If, for instance, there is a GOD (the kind so many people think exists)...it certainly has the capacity to make itself known to everyone in an unambiguous way any time it decided to do so.

I will say that the assertion "There are no gods" IS ALWAYS JUST A GUESS.

There is no way to KNOW there are no gods.
Frank Apisa

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 12:28 pm
For some people, discussions of this kind become uncomfortable...and the nonsense about "bullying" (rather than arguments that cannot be successfully defeated) becomes the norm.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 12:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
As I stated earlier I am open to civil discussion, but have to make an exception for bullies, racists, and megalomaniacs. People such as you and Izzie and some others who frequent the pages will find me willing and open.

This is the longest running sub-thread in a 48 hour period that I can remember on A2K. (Maybe the word game threads last longer, but idk.)

I call that amazing!
Frank Apisa

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 12:31 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

I don’t know Scottie so I have no evidence to go on.

But I am glad you recognize that evidence is a valid concept.

If I encounter Chuck Yeager on this afternoon’s flight, it is not likely I would win in a dogfight.

Well, Chuck is dead...so your chances are not zero.

Scottie is setting the golf world on fire right now. He is hot as hot can be.

Leadfoot

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 12:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Only thing I would respond to here is that I try to refrain from saying stuff like "...can never know."

(A few words later..)

And by extension, no way to know there is at least one? (Don’t want to put words in yer mouth)

Dammit! Why can’t I see your claims as non contradictory?

Frank Apisa

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 12:52 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Only thing I would respond to here is that I try to refrain from saying stuff like "...can never know."

(A few words later..)

And by extension, now way to know there is at least one? (Don’t want to put words in yer mouth)

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY TO KNOW THERE ARE NO GODS. BUT IF THERE IS A GOD...THE GOD COULD REVEAL ITSELF. SO WHILE IT MAKES SENSE TO SAY, "THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW THERE ARE NO GODS"...

...IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE TO SAY, "THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW THERE IS AT LEAST ONE."

There is no contradiction there, Leadfoot.

Quote:
Dammit! Why can’t I see your claims as non contradictory?

I'm not sure why at all.

None of my claims ARE contradictory...so it should be a snap.

Perhaps you do not want to see them as non-contradictory.

bobsal u1553115

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 12:59 pm
@Leadfoot,
Only if ones thinks constant repetition of your opinion over and over is meaningful.

It's not. Not by a mile.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 01:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY TO KNOW THERE ARE NO GODS. BUT IF THERE IS A GOD...THE GOD COULD REVEAL ITSELF.

SO WHILE IT MAKES SENSE TO SAY, "THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW THERE ARE NO GODS"...

...IT DOES NOT MAKE SENSE TO SAY, "THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW THERE IS AT LEAST ONE."

There is no contradiction there, Leadfoot.

So based on this logic (which I agree with), wouldn’t the conclusion at this point be that the more logical direction of open minded inquiry be 'let’s look into the possibility that there is?'

Not saying you haven’t, I’m just curious how you decided there was no possibility of an answer. Even if God did not disclose himself to you at the time, that would not stop an inquiring mind. There must have been more.

Theo202

Mon 25 Apr, 2022 01:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY TO KNOW THERE ARE NO GODS. BUT IF THERE IS A GOD...THE GOD COULD REVEAL ITSELF. SO WHILE IT MAKES SENSE TO SAY, "THERE IS NO WAY TO KNOW THERE ARE NO GODS"...

Indeed. "No explanation" always fails when you're applying Occam's Razor.