Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

rosborne979

Tue 10 Apr, 2018 12:39 pm
To nobody in particular I will say that while technically, evolutionary theory does not apply to abiogenesis, it sure as hell has implications for abiogenesis.

The basic processes of evolution (reproduction, variation and selection) are applicable all the way back to molecules, as long as they are making copies of themselves.

The distance between where evolutionary processes leave off and chemical reactions take over is really very small. All that is needed is for molecules to make imperfect copies of themselves in a chaotic environment and we're off to the races.

It's a credit to the scientific process that it can take us down to this tiny sliver of a difference between organic chemistry and evolution.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 10 Apr, 2018 01:07 pm
@farmerman,
ID is self-contaminated. No evidence. Humans created many gods including that late-comer, Christianity, and their savior they call god; the father, son and Holy Ghost.
0 Replies

brianjakub

Wed 11 Apr, 2018 01:06 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I really don't have any arguments with the Catholic schools systems in the US. They had long abandoned any beliefs in the Creation and even ID. They pretty much teach a transcendent God and natural evolution directed by geological changes that are also natural.

I think that should be taught as a possible alternative everywhere because the scientific data supports it. I am glad you don't have an argument with it.
Quote:
Im not in the area of the origins of life, I follow some of the research and evidence of the chemical fossil record, but I dont do anything in it. Im hevily involved in evolutionary geology and have lots of evidence on common ancestry and "missing evidence" also. I have no idea what you are doing but Ive not ever heard anything from your worldview that was not already pre macerated by its tenets and not anything constituting any evidence.

Life is a running algorithm operating in a system with a precise structure known as matter. the precise structure, causes it to follow the rules described by quantum mechanics and relativity. It is a very convient way for you to pre macerate your world view by studying up on how the algorithm and operating system have operated and done there job very well but, conceniently not asking the next questions :
1. "where did the operating system and algorithm come from?
2. How does the structure built into the hardware of the higgs field and matter give us qm, relativity, gravity and the nuclear forces along with the constants?
3. How did part of the operating system become living and self replicating?
4. who created it and why because, it sure is working good, has been for billions of years, and has given us a hell of an education on what it takes to raise families in a loving and moral way. (and how not to)

By ignoring those 4 questions, your world view conveniently gets to start with a poof called the big bang and then there was matter. And then poof there was life.

The problem is, the big bang needed gravity so space and matter could collapse on itself, and it takes real matter to have gravity and there is no gravity in matterless space. ( And protons don't count as matter. the smallest piece of matter is a hydrogen atom.) And we still can't turn lifeless matter into living matter with our intelligence (which supports the theory it takes somebody who knows more about manipulating dead matter into living matter than we do).

And if you can find actual scientific evidence to prove to me where matter originally comes from and how abiogenesis occurred (beyond wild speculation) I would appreciate it. You don't have to discover it yourself, give me mainstream science's best answer.

Meanwhile, I will do the same with ID. (Unfortunately, I will have to to the interpretation of the evidence myself since the Discovery institute sucks at it, and the Catholic Church well, I am a Catholic I guess I need to talk to my bishop. And compared to current views of science and the church it will be considered wild speculation. The key is it will work.).
Aetherian

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 09:56 pm
@wandeljw,
It is well to bear in mind the science relies on observation using instruments which have been developed to a remarkable degree of perfection. It is still materialistic until the concept of the Ether is included and metaphysics becomes possible.
There is a lot to consider in spiritual philosophy as written in Theosophy and more recently through George King who understood metaphysics and invented batteries to hold spiritual power.
Setanta

Mon 23 Jul, 2018 11:12 pm
@Aetherian,
Utter babblespeak.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 04:54 am
@brianjakub,
Quote:
I am glad you don't have an argument with it
. Ive presented several over the yers herein. I dont see any value in arguing actual data based evidence against a piece of storyline that says that "life is too complicated to have arisn by evolution". That appears to be th only self generated "argument" that the Creation/IDers bring to the table.

Quote:
Life is a running algorithm operating in a system with a precise structure known as matter.
I like your attempts at sounding like you know of what youre speaking. Youve presented this statement that life is an algorithm, and then you make up 4 "rules" by which you feel should be answered in order to "even the plane" with other more rigorously developed theories.
Good Try but I just think that most people aint buyin.. Its sorta ;like the"the moon is made of green cheese" Now lets see why youre theory doesnt hold up to that"
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 04:57 am
@brianjakub,
Quote:
I guess I need to talk to my bishop.
Id talk with the Vatican Observatory Staffers. They are quite open to discussion and you may be surpriswd at their evince based convictions. (Most of them are not rookies with wallet pix of Torquemada)
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 05:02 am
@Aetherian,
Quote:
George King ... understood metaphysics and invented batteries to hold spiritual power
were they nicad or lithium?
Im guessing that you live near La or else near Tucumcari NM??. Seen any of the alien overlords walkin down the street?
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 05:59 am
Can you sciencey types possibly give me a layman’s simple explanation of the ‘fourth dimension’? I have words and phrases blowing past each other in my cranium, but no real firm narrative.

Thanks.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 07:36 am
It’s only Time, the dimension through which space and matter travels.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 08:06 am
I was using a mentor text to review reading strategies with a student, and the text stated something about ‘emerging’ into a fourth dimension, so when I isolated the term to mean to be time or duration, as you have confirmed, emerging into time or duration didn’t make sense to me.

farmerman

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 09:10 am
@Lash,
Have some fun with NEIL.

NEIL deGRASSE TYSON EXPLAINS A TESSERACT IN SPACETIME
farmerman

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 09:18 am
@farmerman,
I found a tessearact. Its a cube moving through four dimensions.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d7/8-cell.gif
Lash

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 09:32 am
@farmerman,
Yipes. Thank you!
0 Replies

brianjakub

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 10:09 am
@farmerman,
It looks like a cube must be embedded inside another cube to experience extra dimensions.
farmerman

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 12:19 pm
@brianjakub,
there are other shapes to consider. the concept of time as the thing that all other "tings move through is the point.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 24 Jul, 2018 09:19 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I was using a mentor text to review reading strategies with a student, and the text stated something about ‘emerging’ into a fourth dimension, so when I isolated the term to mean to be time or duration, as you have confirmed, emerging into time or duration didn’t make sense to me.

You aint stupid, Darlin. It makes no damn sense to say you are "traveling" through time or taking a "path" through time, as they often say. Time aint something like a forest that you can travel through via a path.

Even more senseless to assign a speed to your travel. If you're not moving, then you're supposedly traveling "through time' at 186,000 miles per second. How does that work, exactly?

farmerman

Wed 25 Jul, 2018 06:55 am
@layman,
all laws of motion use time as that by which motion is measured. You know, "If it werent for time everything would happen at once"

0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 25 Jul, 2018 08:38 am
@Lash,
Quote:
the text stated something about ‘emerging’ into a fourth dimension, so when I isolated the term to mean to be time or duration, as you have confirmed, emerging into time or duration didn’t make sense to me.
. Sounds like the woo - woo stuff my ex was into. Yep, All nonsense.

The only way you might emerge into the 4th dimension is to be on a black hole where you stop moving through time. Then, when your rocket leaves the black hole (a very difficult maneuver) you would then emerge into the fourth dimension and resume traveling through it as you are now.

In woo - woo terminology, the 4th dimension is what you emerge into when in a dream.
Amoh5

Wed 8 Aug, 2018 09:24 pm
@Leadfoot,
I think the foundations of life and everything that exists, centres around the positve and negative, male and female aspects of our universe. In the old world of metaphysics anything that is earthly and fire(y) are female, anything that is open space(sky) and water(y) is male. The sky(male) waters the earth(female), then life springs up such as plants etc.
Like the atoms that contain positive and negative aspects. Without these two components, life could not exist, just like mother and father.