Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

FBM

Wed 12 Aug, 2015 07:23 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

I noticed you didn't address my point. Again.

At that point, I was still trying to figure out what your point is. Having read further, it seems you're trying to wedge a god in a gap. Good luck with that.

Quote:
I have nothing against science. I earn my living in science. It just looked like you were implying that science WILL eventually have the definitive answer about abiogenesis. That to me is a religious belief when you assume you already know the answer. If that was not your implication, my apologies.

It was not my implication. No apologies required, though. It's the internet, after all. Wink

Quote:
And speaking of straw men, what answers have I raised that can't be questioned?

I didn't say you had. There's no reference to you in that sentence or the preceeding one.
0 Replies

FBM

Wed 12 Aug, 2015 07:27 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
IDK, the account in Genesis has no contradictions with science's current views about the universe.

That is interesting. So science says woman came from man's rib?

Also, which of the two accounts in Genesis?

http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/genesis-creation/
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 12 Aug, 2015 08:15 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
how about double helices of quartz ? They contain
cations in a tetrahedral arrangement and can bond with several types of chem bonds . Silica can carry HUUUGE amounts of information also, and it generates power by merely squeezing the crystal.

Same thing, supr heated water vapor with silica makes all kinds of quartz arrangements.

The problem with us all is that we ascribe some kind of magical powers unto a mega- organic-molecule, when we can create silica shells, networks, chains, helices, etc etc. with just a very hot muffle oven and a beaker

Quote:
Crystalline structures like snowflakes are marvelous in their own way. But they have no encoded information in them

Says you, noone here was talkin about "snowflakes". Theyre not helices , whereas, several hundred minerals ARE and thousands of proteinaceous compounds, alkanes and aromatics ARE also

ANYWAY, most scientists think that life wasnt at all dependent on the nucleic acid series for its inception

There are more unsubstantiated claims and fallacies in that post than I can ever hope to address in a forum reply.

Just for grins though, what naturally occurring form of silica stores "HUUUGE" amounts of information?? Now silica with some ID thrown in certainly can (ie, computer memory chip).

But that last one takes the cake. What do you claim the earliest life was based on?
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 12 Aug, 2015 08:20 pm
@parados,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
IDK, the account in Genesis has no contradictions with science's current views about the universe.

That is interesting. So science says woman came from man's rib?

Good grief man, I said 'Universe', not woman. But since you asked...

Scientists cloned a sheep (remember Dolly?) from a frigg'n skin cell. God should have no trouble doing a woman from a whole rib.
rosborne979

Wed 12 Aug, 2015 08:50 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

You stepped pretty lightly over abiogenesis there. My point was that yes, microbes ARE very complex and evolution does not explain where the first one came from.

If we're going to make any progress here you're going to have to be careful with your terminology. What exactly are you referring to when you say "microbe"? Are you talking about a replicative molecule, or a fully formed cell? Normally the term "microbe" refers to some form of cell, which would have nothing to do with abiogenesis and is probably separated from abiogenesis by nearly a half a billion years.

At present the exact mechanisms of abiogenesis are unknown. But just because something is unknown doesn't mean that it was the result of some form of magic. And science is not permitted to use magic in any of its theories. Which is exactly why it is so functional and effective.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 12 Aug, 2015 08:55 pm
@Leadfoot,
The thing that keeps us from believing that this thread is like a visit to "Groundhog Day" , is that, as time moves along, so does the research about many things, including abiogenesis.

We used to argue and discuss the "when" and "what for" did nucleotides, amino acids , and nucleic acids arrive. Well, this year a team in UK had done some really brilliant "bucket chemistry" while looking at several protist life forms , specifically Methanosarcina

Earlier conversations involved the environments of the neighborhood when first life appeared on earth, this research, reported out back in March of this year, took some already known nucleotide complexes, methylation etc and "followed it back to an earlier point" (ITS almost the same logic that Ken Miller used to show that Michael Behe's hypothesis of "irreducible complexity" wasnt irreducible at all. Well you read

The origin of life on Earth is a set of paradoxes. In order for life to have gotten started, there must have been a genetic molecule—something like DNA or RNA—capable of passing along blueprints for making proteins, the workhorse molecules of life. But modern cells can’t copy DNA and RNA without the help of proteins themselves. To make matters more vexing, none of these molecules can do their jobs without fatty lipids, which provide the membranes that cells need to hold their contents inside. And in yet another chicken-and-egg complication, protein-based enzymes (encoded by genetic molecules) are needed to synthesize lipids.

Quote:
Now, researchers say they may have solved these paradoxes. Chemists report today that a pair of simple compounds, which would have been abundant on early Earth, can give rise to a network of simple reactions that produce the three major classes of biomolecules—nucleic acids, amino acids, and lipids—needed for the earliest form of life to get its start. Although the new work does not prove that this is how life started, it may eventually help explain one of the deepest mysteries in modern science.

“This is a very important paper,” says Jack Szostak, a molecular biologist and origin-of-life researcher at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, who was not affiliated with the current research. “It proposes for the first time a scenario by which almost all of the essential building blocks for life could be assembled in one geological setting.”

Scientists have long touted their own favorite scenarios for which set of biomolecules formed first. “RNA World” proponents, for example suggest RNA may have been the pioneer; not only is it able to carry genetic information, but it can also serve as a proteinlike chemical catalyst, speeding up certain reactions. Metabolism-first proponents, meanwhile, have argued that simple metal catalysts, as opposed to advanced protein-based enzymes, may have created a soup of organic building blocks that could have given rise to the other biomolecules.

The RNA World hypothesis got a big boost in 2009. Chemists led by John Sutherland at the University of Cambridge in the United Kingdom reported that they had discovered that relatively simple precursor compounds called acetylene and formaldehyde could undergo a sequence of reactions to produce two of RNA’s four nucleotide building blocks, showing a plausible route to how RNA could have formed on its own—without the need for enzymes—in the primordial soup. Critics, though, pointed out that acetylene and formaldehyde are still somewhat complex molecules themselves. That begged the question of where they came from.

For their current study, Sutherland and his colleagues set out to work backward from those chemicals to see if they could find a route to RNA from even simpler starting materials. They succeeded. In the current issue of Nature Chemistry, Sutherland’s team reports that it created nucleic acid precursors starting with just hydrogen cyanide (HCN), hydrogen sulfide (H2S), and ultraviolet (UV) light. What is more, Sutherland says, the conditions that produce nucleic acid precursors also create the starting materials needed to make natural amino acids and lipids. That suggests a single set of reactions could have given rise to most of life’s building blocks simultaneously.

Sutherland’s team argues that early Earth was a favorable setting for those reactions. HCN is abundant in comets, which rained down steadily for nearly the first several hundred million years of Earth’s history. The impacts would also have produced enough energy to synthesize HCN from hydrogen, carbon, and nitrogen. Likewise, Sutherland says, H2S was thought to have been common on early Earth, as was the UV radiation that could drive the reactions and metal-containing minerals that could have catalyzed them.

That said, Sutherland cautions that the reactions that would have made each of the sets of building blocks are different enough from one another—requiring different metal catalysts, for example—that they likely would not have all occurred in the same location. Rather, he says, slight variations in chemistry and energy could have favored the creation of one set of building blocks over another, such as amino acids or lipids, in different places. “Rainwater would then wash these compounds into a common pool,” says Dave Deamer, an origin-of-life researcher at the University of California, Santa Cruz, who wasn’t affiliated with the research.

Could life have kindled in that common pool? That detail is almost certainly forever lost to history. But the idea and the “plausible chemistry” behind it is worth careful thought, Deamer says. Szostak agrees. “This general scenario raises many questions,” he says, “and I am sure that it will be debated for some time to come

source https://www.the-scientist.com › The Scientist ›
The Scientist
Mar 17, 2015 -
parados

Wed 12 Aug, 2015 09:50 pm
@Leadfoot,
So now you are arguing that science's view of evolution is outside the universe?

Scientists cloned a sheep using the same exact DNA of an animal belonging to a species that has been mating and producing offspring for thousands of years after having evolved from ancestors. How did man appear? Or are you arguing some god creature made him full grown out of mud?
Leadfoot

Thu 13 Aug, 2015 10:11 am
@farmerman,
Interesting article but it does not address the arguments that ID makes.

For the sake of argument, I'm giving you the assumption that all of the building blocks for life might have spontaneously developed all naturally. And that's giving a LOT.

What I will Not give you is how the very specific LANGUAGE of RNA/DNA and the complex program written in that language came about. This ignores the additional problem of where the 'hardware machinery' Needed to execute that program came from. So far, NOTHING in the scientific literature even hints at solving those problems. We DO have the mathmatecal tools to examine the probability of those things happening but I'm guessing you wouldn't like the results.

If you come up with ANYTHING that hints at solving that problem, let me know. I'm tired of the atheist version of "Groundhog Day" myself. I'm giving you all the building materials for New York City. Now tell me how they assembled themselves with only natural causes. I'm not interested in another theory of where the materials came from.
Leadfoot

Thu 13 Aug, 2015 10:35 am
@parados,
Quote:
@Leadfoot,
So now you are arguing that science's view of evolution is outside the universe?

Scientists cloned a sheep using the same exact DNA of an animal belonging to a species that has been mating and producing offspring for thousands of years after having evolved from ancestors. How did man appear? Or are you arguing some god creature made him full grown out of mud?

As far as your first statement, where the **** did that come from?

For the second one, yes, we cloned a sheep which had been around for awhile. What's your point? Mine was a reference to how creating woman from a man's rib wasn't such a big deal in light of that.

I never said that man appeared full grown from the mud. But if a God could make the universe from nothing with just a word I suppose a man's body from mud wouldn't be out of the question.

But this was a thread about ID, not whether God exists which is what I suppose you are actually addressing. Let me guess, your answer is 'no'. :-)
farmerman

Thu 13 Aug, 2015 11:04 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
We DO have the mathmatecal tools to examine the probability of those things happening but I'm guessing you wouldn't like the results.
why not , ? science isnt the search for a tale that only agrees with my worldviews. Sometimes science makes us start all over. However, as far as ID , not so much. EVERYTHING that has b een posed as supportive "evidence" for ID has been debunked (Not as a means to initially debunk but to actually test the assertions re: "Irreducible complexity")

Irreducible complexity(IC) is a foundation of Phillip Johnsons "modern ID synthesis". It just dont seem to work at all. Why every time some ID "scientist" poses an IC, some lazy grad student or his adviser has shot it down withing weeks of careful analyses.

You dont seem to hear from any of the "scientists" who work for the Discovery Institute anymore. Back in the early 2000's they were promising how there will be vast amounts of facts and evidence supporting ID and the search for intelligence in the universe. I wonder how thats working out for them??

As far as how the nucleotides bond in the DNA molecule, scientists hve known how that works for several decades. You seem to believe that the nucleotides for single nucleotide polymorphs are "selected " as a series of specific chain. Its more like "whatever;s hanging on the rack of the double helix gets assigned a role. Nucleotides are going in and out all the time. We understand how they bond an link and we know which nucleotides must bond with each other (red Watson's book DNA-its quite readable and is meant for the student or the interested layman. It lists the 5 nucleotides in RNA and DNA, the 20 amino acids that combine in groups of 3 and multiples thereof, and it identifies all 64 proteins that are coded for.
Math has been handy but so has crystal chemistry and Xray diffraction (sort of an area in my field).

You say you work in the sciences, which areas?
farmerman

Thu 13 Aug, 2015 11:09 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I'm not interested in another theory of where the materials came from.
In science, a "theory" is an orderly collection of facts and laws that explain a phenom. SO , if you work in the sciences , Id expect you to know that distinguishing element about THEORY in science.

Youve let us see your soiled grotchkies there pal. Im beginning to have my doubts about veracity in your posts.
Leadfoot

Thu 13 Aug, 2015 11:16 am
@farmerman,
I'll take that as a "no", science doesn't have a theory to explain this particular phenom.

My 'soiled grotchkies' notwithstanding :-)
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Thu 13 Aug, 2015 11:37 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
As far as how the nucleotides bond in the DNA molecule, scientists hve known how that works for several decades. You seem to believe that the nucleotides for single nucleotide polymorphs are "selected " as a series of specific chain. Its more like "whatever;s hanging on the rack of the double helix gets assigned a role. Nucleotides are going in and out all the time. We understand how they bond an link and we know which nucleotides must bond with each other (red Watson's book DNA-its quite readable and is meant for the student or the interested layman. It lists the 5 nucleotides in RNA and DNA, the 20 amino acids that combine in groups of 3 and multiples thereof, and it identifies all 64 proteins that are coded for.

I'm ignoring all you unsupported assertions like 'all your arguments are ****' and focusing on the above paragraph. This is truly a novel thing you brought up regarding "whatever;s hanging on the rack of the double helix gets assigned a role.".

You are obviously intelligent so I expect you would immediately see how this approach would require even more intelligent design than if the intelligence designed the DNA language from scratch. 'Something' had to assign those roles to those supposedly random groupings of nucleotides and pure chance is even more unlikely to do the job . The math gets even harder.

Your knowledge of protein / amino acid relationships is a little off though. The groups of three nucleotides code for a possible 64 amino acids (even though only 20 are used) but there are way more than 64 protein types.
rosborne979

Thu 13 Aug, 2015 12:06 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
What I will Not give you is how the very specific LANGUAGE of RNA/DNA and the complex program written in that language came about... If you come up with ANYTHING that hints at solving that problem, let me know.

Reproduction, Variation and Selection. Once those elements are in play the evolving complexity of any replicative molecule can be explained (and is demonstrated by the very existence of biology).

In one breath you say you accept biological evolution, but in the next breath you seem to object to it (by your quote above). So which is it?
0 Replies

parados

Thu 13 Aug, 2015 12:52 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I never said that man appeared full grown from the mud.

Quote:

The universe would include everything in the universe including man.

But let's look at how Genesis has contradictions with current scientific views.

Genesis says the earth was formed before there was light.
Science says the sun was formed before the earth.

Genesis says the plants were created before the stars were.
Science says stars existed before our sun and earth were created.

Of course, we haven't even touched on the fact that Genesis says the total of creation happened in 6 days.
farmerman

Thu 13 Aug, 2015 01:32 pm
@Leadfoot,
Sorry, I mispoke , I meant coded amino acids.

You seem to be "sold" on an intelligence. Im sorry I cant argue that because its an unfalsifiable "belief" . If you can provide evidence (like something from , ohhh, divergent evolution and how it shows up in the genome . OR , species that have evolved from some circumstance of natural origin (like anadromous fish like cichlids, getting trapped in a "new environment". Or geographic isolated species (do you mean to say that the environmental conditions that isolated the species was "Planned"?

Can you favor me with a cogent discussion as to how the "intelligence " can be evidenced??

Quote:

I'm ignoring all you unsupported assertions like 'all your arguments are ****'
where did I say that?? If I did, Im sorry. I usually get testy when Im being played. I clearly stated that I doubt that you are in the sciences because your mis use of the word "theory" leaves trax of ID ism.

No matter what science you practice, a theory is a fact , not a speculation or wild-ass guess. THEORIES are backed up, unerpinned and mathematically sound (Scientific "LAws" are usually equations.

Quote:
I expect you would immediately see how this approach would require even more intelligent design than if the intelligence designed the DNA language from scratch. 'Something' had to assign those roles
Why so? is adaptation to rising temperatures "Intelligence"?

Now I think youre losing the point of how evolution actually works in the world.

You seem to be delving more into "theistic evolution" . I have no answers for you, we will just have to agree to disagree. (I really do not see any evidence that the changes in the environments and the edaphic conditions into which life forms have adapted needs "intelligence".
Weve already dsipensed with the fact that we know quite well how chemical bonding and linkages in peptides occur and we can adjust the environments (pH/Eh) to favor certain types of bonding. Why isnt the crucible of the entire earths environment like a free range laboratory. Why do you feel you see an intelligence in there.

Leadfoot

Thu 13 Aug, 2015 01:59 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
Quote:
"I expect you would immediately see how this approach would require even more intelligent design than if the intelligence designed the DNA language from scratch. 'Something' had to assign those roles"

Why so? is adaptation to rising temperatures "Intelligence"?

Now I think youre losing the point of how evolution actually works in the world.

I do think there are shortcomings in Evolution too but the main thrust of what I thought we were discussing was the origin of life (abiogenesis) not evolution which is a different thing. The origin of life is where I see the most convincing evidence for intelligent design.
Evolution may in fact be 100% right. That could have been God's way of covering his tracks for all I know but that is mixing in theology so I'll save that for another thread.

There was a time when I thought I could subscribe to the atheist position IF I could grasp how abiogenesis occurred. Although I am not a bio chemist, I spent more time researching it than I did preparing for my 'real' profession as an EE. That doesn't prove anything either but I did make the earnest effort to make an informed decision and I continue to closely follow the science. But the more I read of the latest findings the more convinced I am that natural causes can't account for life as we know it. Same is true in the field of cosmology. I'm always prepared to accept new information though.
Leadfoot

Thu 13 Aug, 2015 02:02 pm
@parados,
Sorry paradox, you have drifted too far away from the OP topic. We can have that discussion on the "A God That Makes Sense?" thread if you like.
farmerman

Thu 13 Aug, 2015 02:30 pm
@Leadfoot,
no YOU were trying to lump abiogenesis with natural selection and evolutionary theory. Two different subjects.

Quote:
the more convinced I am that natural causes can't account for life as we know it
And your reasoning is that it hasnt beend done oin the lab yet?
You actually are a loong way up the scale in theaccepting of the theory and fact of evolution , (There are many who try to make up bogus science about why everything was created in its "own kind")
ID actually does accept evolution but assigns its directions to an intelligence rather than mere adaptation to changing environments or geographic isolation (many other s also).

The Miller and Urey experiment was a neat idea for its time but like all sciences , weve moved ahead by 50_ years. Today we are pretty sure, based on other planets , that the Hadean atmosphere was acidic, loaded with Cyanide, H2S and methane with a water chaser. lab reactions in a clay slurry, a water only base have shown that (as my article explained) several problems of abiogenesis can be solved with one energetic reaction. (We have the bases for energy, a cell wall, and the contents therein). Most organic geochemists (blush) working in this area seem to agree that an RNA "world hypothesis" is probably too advanced for first life. As Shapiro called it. "First life was a big " plastic bag" of living glop-No transfer of genetic information because there was no genetic information"
As weve also seen in the protista Id clipped. That life form has very very few actual nucleotides , its very simple and its not the most simple of the evidence of earliest life In fact, the first life evidence we have is just a bunch of left handed C12 molecules of the Isua Formation -) First life was apparently quite simple since we have follow-on evidence that the scale of life has been directioned mostly based upon the environment in which it lived (WE DONT SEE ANY ELEPHANTS IN THE CAMBRIAN STRATA, nor any DINOSAURS IN THE PLEISTOCENE).

Planned parenthood? Im pretty convinced that life was an opportunistic appearance with adaptation to environmental conditions being the main "Driver" of change.
farmerman

Thu 13 Aug, 2015 02:34 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I do think there are shortcomings in Evolution
I have many students who made lifes work out of that fact and they arrive to work each day, curious and ignorant and they love it that way. They like to discover and I get huge kicks out of calls from someone who was one of my advisees who is letting me know that theyre sending an advance copy of a new paper theyve put together.
0 Replies