Political stupidity and the take down of Joe Biden.

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2019 05:56 pm
Whether or not Joe Biden deserves it is a topic for another thread. This is a thread about political strategy. This take down of Joe Biden is strategically stupid for anyone who desires a Democrat to beat Trump in 2020. Let's look at the points.

- People who support these attacks on Joe Biden are the people who think angry White women in pink hats are a good thing. These are not the swing voters. They are going to vote against Trump no matter who the Democratic nominee happens to be.

- Lots of people, including lots of swing voters are supporting Joe Biden and think that these attacks on him are excessive... even ridiculous.

- The swing voters will decide the 2020 election. There are millions of Americans who voted for Obama and then voted for Trump. The Democrats should be reaching out to these people and listening to them.

- The swing voters say very clearly what troubles them about the Democratic party. They say that they don't like identity politics. They say that they feel the Democratic party focuses on special interest groups and not on the needs of people like them.

- These attacks on Joe Biden play into all of the reason that swing voters dislike the Democrats.

Yes. These carefully collated pictures stories of Biden smelling a woman's hair, or touching a woman's shoulder, or "hugging too long" feed into a political narrative. If you are ideologically liberal, these stories fit perfectly into your pre-existing beliefs. It is a titillating story that feeds right into the left's love of outrage.

But political strategy is about reaching out to the swing voters. It is about addressing people might want to vote for you, but don't swallow your narrative completely. It is not about feeding your true believers a narrative to support their prejudices. I am not saying that Joe Biden should be the nominee. But the campaign should be about policy and direction, not about character assassination.

These brutal attacks on Joe Biden reinforce what swing voters already dislike about the Democratic party. If anyone wants the Democrats to win in 2020, this is pure stupidity.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 833 • Replies: 13
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2019 05:58 pm
Just to repeat... this is a political strategy thread.

Anyone who responds with left-wing propaganda or memes from social media is clueless.
mystikmind

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2019 07:54 pm
@maxdancona,
look at the way pre school children interact with each other. The reactions a very emotional and in the moment, they dont plan any long term strategy, who will be their ally tomorrow, its all about now, what they want now, what the other child is doing now.

When my daughter was younger, and i would pick her up at childcare, i could not shake the feeling i was in a mirror universe of the people who run the country!
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 10:12 am
Whether Biden runs or not is entirely up to him. Nobody is twisting his harm... And if he does run, whether people will vote for him will be entirely up to them.

There are no conspiracies here, no "brutal attacks" either, just people talking. That's still authorized, right?

maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 11:13 am
@Olivier5,
You are being silly Olivier. Liberal democrats are intentionally stirring up outrage against Joe Biden. They are sending around hacked up videos. They are calling him "creepy Joe" and insulting his apology.

These are pretty nasty political attacks against Joe Biden from the ideological left. I don't know if they are "authorized" (I am not quite sure what you mean by that). When Joe Biden was Obama's running mate, these attacks didn't happen. Biden didn't change, the political ambitions of the left changed and Biden now stands in their way.

These attacks are seen by many of us as political dirty tricks. This is not a very good move if the goal is to present a Democratic party that can defeat Trump in 2020.

Olivier5

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 11:17 am
@maxdancona,
Of course I am silly, since I disagree with you...
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 11:18 am
@Olivier5,
No, you are being silly because your post missed the point. Whether or not anyone is "twisting his harm[sic]" there is no question that he is being attacked.

This thread is about whether these attacks are politically stupid. If they drive away voters in 2020, I would say they are.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 11:41 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This thread is about whether these attacks are politically stupid. If they drive away voters in 2020, I would say they are.

Who will they drive away, those voters who want to vote for someone who touches women inappropriately and if the Democrats aren't going to provide someone like that, they, (you) will have no alternative to vote for Trump.

The fact that only one party seems content in putting up a sexual predator in 2020 is all the proof you need that men are the real victims here.
Olivier5

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 11:45 am
@maxdancona,
There is no point to miss. Politics is the ultimate competitive game and whether you like it or not ain't gonna change that. People are going to say what they want to say, whether you agree or not. It is futile to try and "control the narrative" in this day and age. All you can do is propose something else, another better narrative.

As far as I am concerned, Biden is welcome to throw his hat in the ring if he's got something to say that's worth the fight. But if he excepts no fight at all on a path of rose petals toward the nomination, he's just as stupid as you are. He will need to fight these allegations off and move on to whatever policy proposals he's got.

The rest is literature.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 11:54 am
@izzythepush,
Could you please clarify your position Izzy... because I am not quite sure what you mean.

1) Are you implying that Joe Biden is a "sexual predator"?

2) Are you suggesting that people support Joe Biden because they want "someone who touches women inappropriately"?

You seem to be insulting voters.... which is kind my point.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 11:57 am
@Olivier5,
Prominent Democrats and party leaders do have quite a bit of control over the narrative. They are responsible for the direction of the party. The ideological left is responsible for their own actions particular those in public roles.

I think they are making a stupid mistake.

Olivier5

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 12:36 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Prominent Democrats and party leaders do have quite a bit of control over the narrative. They are responsible for the direction of the party.

No they do not and are not. You're describing an obsolete, pre-Internet form of politics. In any case, I am unaware of any prominent Democrat who would have brutally attacked Biden.

Quote:
The ideological left

Does such a person exist? What's her phone number?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 04:27 pm
@maxdancona,
You have missed the point. I don't know if it's deliberate or not, but it's well and truly missed.

Explaining things to you is so tiresome, I can't be arsed.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2019 05:10 pm
@izzythepush,
You are so cute Izzy. You say I am missing and that you are tired, yet you keep responding. You can't quit me.
0 Replies