Could it be the carburetor?

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 06:23 am
I've had a problem with my car since I've had it, which is 5 years now. When I'm driving and come to a stop, my car sometimes stalls or at the very least, sounds like it's going to stall. the problem is getting worse to the point that if I so much as take my foot off the gas, I sometimes stalls as well. I had a new rebuilt motor put in the car 5 years ago when I bought it and I know it has nothing to do with the engine because I had the problem before hand. I recently had the fuel pump replaced and that's not it. I use to drive and own a cab, so I'm pretty good at knowing what's wrong with a car, but this is the first car I've had this problem with.
My son is a car nut and knows quite a bit about them and he insists that it's my carburetor, but before I have it replaced, I'd like to hear what you guys think. I'm thinking that the car is either not getting enough gas or is getting too much. Maybe it's flooding.

The car is a 1987 olds cutless.

Any advice would very much be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,701 • Replies: 51
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 07:15 am
Could be. Might not be. There's lots of stuff working off of manifold pressure that there could be an air leak into the induction system. This usually comes from a suction hose being disconnected or worn through, usually on the bottom. Sometimes they just rot out on the underside, and this is hard to find, as sometimes they leak, and sometimes they don't.

Speaking of excess air, it may be the choke not operating quite right. If it is, points to Dana. The choke is part of the carburetor.

Probably lots of other possibles, too.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 07:34 am
That's what I was afraid of, Rog. I am trying to eliminate certain things considering the history of the car. I am keeping in mind that the problem was already there before I had a new rebuilt motor put in, so I assumed it wouldn't be any of the hoses.
Dana mentioned the choke as well, but said he doesn't think that's it. He thinks it's the float thing in the carburetor that is sticking (he mentioned the name, but I don't remember).
My cousin (my mechanic) is coming over Sunday to see if he can't tackle the problem. He also said it could be a number of things including a sensor thingy. I hope he can figure it out because the car has been nothing but a safety hazard and I'm not prepared to buy a new one yet.
I also forgot to mention that on our way to Canada one year after driving for about 7 hours, my car stalled at a toll booth and I couldn't get it started again. After letting the car sit for almost an hour, it started back up. This is also what makes me think the car is flooding.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 07:35 am
Oh, and thanks very much for your advice, Rog :-D
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 09:19 am
If he means the oxygen sensor, I doubt if it could cause problems for five years and the car is running at all. When it fails, it usually causes the catalytic converter to become plugged, which would cause the car to fail, but not at idle as you describe.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 09:25 am
Ok, so I think we can rule that out. My car is so comfortable and has such a nice ride (other than the obvious problem) and I'd be tickled pink if we could solve it. I'm tempted to replace the carburetor, but if that's not the problem, someone is going to have a hissy fit, lol!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:39 am
My son just told me that my cousin was talking about an electronic sensor located in or around the carburetor.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:42 am
Let me ask you a question: why wouldn't you bring it to a mechanic, or even a dealership to have it checked out, rather than play a guessing game and just go replace the carb/or things you think may be wrong???

If it's been 5 years and you can't figure it out, go get it looked at by someone with the proper diagnostic equipment.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:48 am
I have taken it to a few mechanics who couldn't figure it out. Whatever it is, it's not showing up on their computers.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:53 am
Here's my solution:

1) Make sure the car has some gas in it.

2) Get some matches.

3) Drop lit match in gas tank.

Just kidding...hope you figure it out. That year Cutlass is a nice car. Used to be the top stolen car in the US too...friend of mine had one, it was stolen twice on him.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 11:58 am
Thanks, Slappy! Yeah, I noticed how men tend to drool on my car. I'll love the thing if I could get this problem fixed. It really is a nice machine and I just wish she wasn't such a bitch!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:02 pm
I know my cousin will figure it out just to get me off his ass. I'm getting rather aggressive about it since I'll be starting work soon ;-)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:29 pm
Hmm, stuck for hours at a toll booth? Meet any hot, lesbian women there? Wink

I have one possibility. Vapor lock. If the car stalls and it won't start, try removing the gas cap and try starting the car again.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:33 pm
I got your cousin this schematic. Hope it helps.

http://www.lciservices.com/images/aaa-chop-shop-3.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:46 pm
There, cjhsa. It's what I said. I can see a disconnected hose from here.

Okay, Montana, he's not talking about the oxygen sensor if it's around the carb. Oxygen sensor senses oxygen in the exhaust gas. He might mean an airflow sensor, about which I know nothing.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:50 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Hmm, stuck for hours at a toll booth? Meet any hot, lesbian women there? Wink

I have one possibility. Vapor lock. If the car stalls and it won't start, try removing the gas cap and try starting the car again.

Nope, no hot lesbians, but some bitch behind me had a few choice words for me. She might have been a lesbian, but she wasn't hot.

Ok, I'll mention that to my mechanic. I mean the vapor lock ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:53 pm
roger wrote:
There, cjhsa. It's what I said. I can see a disconnected hose from here.

Okay, Montana, he's not talking about the oxygen sensor if it's around the carb. Oxygen sensor senses oxygen in the exhaust gas. He might mean an airflow sensor, about which I know nothing.

Yep, I remember him mentioning the air flow sensor. Jesus, my car is 18 years old and if it's that complicated, I can only imagine what the new cars are like Shocked
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 12:59 pm
My car's screwed up too, I just haven't been able to get it into the shop.

Damn thing has 4 oxygen sensors, two are bad(I was told), if you floor the car at highway speeds it just holds at a certain RPM. Hyundai Excels can take me right now. I don't know if the o2 sensors are the cause though.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 01:30 pm
F@#$ing cars, eh!!!!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 01:46 pm
You got rid of the BMW right slappy? What are you driving these days?
0 Replies