Islamic Creationism

agrote

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 04:06 am
I used to think that England was pretty much free from the sort of creationist nonsense that plagues the U.S. But it has recently come to my attention that a new breed of fundamentalist Christian has begun to invade my university - they call themselves... 'Muslims.' Shocked

So I'm scared...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,558 • Replies: 197
No top replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 04:50 am
Re: Islamic Creationism
agrote wrote:
I used to think that England was pretty much free from the sort of creationist nonsense that plagues the U.S. But it has recently come to my attention that a new breed of fundamentalist Christian has begun to invade my university - they call themselves... 'Muslims.' Shocked

So I'm scared...

They're even worse than christians. They came up with a clever trick that you can't comment on their holy book unless you speak this one particular language.

Christians tried ripping it off with their whole "you must speak greek and aramaic to criticise the bible" but it never really worked for them as well, particularly since it seems hypocritical with them unable to do it.

Too bad they didn't both wipe each other out in the crusades.
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 01:59 am
hey- have some respect for other peoples beliefs- i'm a muslim!

also you can comment on the Qur'an but you won't understand it completely if you read it in english- the translations are just not good enough.

what have the muslims at your university done to make you scared?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 03:23 am
I agree with the guidedog. It's a shame the destruction wasn't total.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 03:46 am
This is this sort of broad brush nonsense that creates division and hatred amongst people. There are good and bad people amongst all cultures.

raheel wrote:
also you can comment on the Qur'an but you won't understand it completely if you read it in english- the translations are just not good enough.

I think that you are absolutely right. Whether the language is Latin, Greek, Aramaic or Hebrew, when a culture's books are translated, something IS lost. For that matter, even in vernacular conversation, each language has its own particular ways of expressing things, whose nuances often cannot be captured correctly in another language.
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:28 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I think that you are absolutely right. Whether the language is Latin, Greek, Aramaic or Hebrew, when a culture's books are translated, something IS lost. For that matter, even in vernacular conversation, each language has its own particular ways of expressing things, whose nuances often cannot be captured correctly in another language.

the beauty of the text cannot be interpreted-

the poetry in the words of the Qur'an are one of its many assets-

this beauty is lost in translation.

the actual meanings of words becomes unclear and results in many different interpretations.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:23 am
raheel wrote:
the actual meanings of words becomes unclear and results in many different interpretations.

It appears to me that this statement is just as true when applied to those with Arabic as their first language.
0 Replies

NewSoul

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 03:32 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First of All, I am so happy to be around here to meet new people, make new friends and discuss religion. I am a theoholic: p and have learned so many things about different religions thru all my life. By curiosity I recently read the Koran, at first it was hard to understand because I was judgmental but what I have acknowledged is that it left in my mind a beautiful feeling but couldn't explain what it was. So I was like, what if this is the truth that I spent years and years looking for. I always felt in my heart that God is one, so powerful, so well organized, so just, so beautiful to create the earth and the Universe in such an artistic fashion, obeying Laws so perfectly designed, such as If the Earth spins just a little bit faster, no one would survive in earth and that's something that contradicts the theory of that everything happens randomly. Anyhow, thru all my life I never paid attention to all the Hardship that every one of us go thru and never asked myself before why those hardships if God is the creator of the Universe and can save us all from it and make our life peaceful and enjoyable. The Koran is talking about both, love and hate in the same time, about good and bad...etc so I started reading Islam and found out that God tells us to be patient, to be strong and turn to him when a calamity happens and with doing that our heart and soul purifies itself from wrongdoing. God says that all this is a test and if we fail and don't stay firm against our wrongdoings like committing adultery, killing, getting angryÂ…etc we get stronger and stronger day by day and sin less. God also is helping us thru his teachings how to live in freedom from being controlled by our unjust desires. Yes, God basically is trying to save us from the real punishment and telling us that he amazingly created the Heavens for us to fulfill all the desires we have being created with because that's where we belong. Just as he is, God is giving us all an opportunity to clean ourselves thru the hardships off this not lasting life and will reward justly every one of us based on how we do in this life. If we all think a moment and ask ourselves, why nothing could satisfy our desires or why the enjoyment don't last more than a moment , example sex, food,...etc. Well what I have learned from reading the Koran is that our desires would only be fulfilled in where we belong, and God is telling us to be patient and submit to him fully thru the laws of Islam to purify ourselves. God is perfect but we are not simply because he gave us freedom of will and does not intervene in choosing the way we go but guides us to the right path because he sees everything but our sight is very limited. God created all his other creations without a freedom of will so all is submitting to his will but us until we choose to and also God will destroy who do not obey him by throwing him/her to Hellfire, and if you read what is said about how Hellfire will be nobody could ever sleep after that, either hearing about Hell or the Heavens. The King of the Heavens Gabriel (AS) was ordered by God to go look at the Heavens and Hellfire to tell God what he thinks. Gabriel said : Everybody will choose to live in the Heavens, and nobody would ever choose Hellfire. But God knows that is not the case. In fact Hellfire will ask for more human beings in the Day of Judgment and an enormous number of people will go.
Bottom line, God is helping all of us thru the first step of purification. He is describing the Heavens in an amazing way in the Koran and the teachings of his prophet (Peace be upon Him) to help us stay firm against our desires and actions and also warn us and describes with a lot of details and pictures how the eternal extreme punishment will look like if we don't control our desires and be patient and stay firm and strong against anything that could take us to disobey Him. God is just so he is giving us a chance to win the ticket to the Heavens where ultimate continuous enjoyment is waiting for us. For men, Just knowing that the most beautiful woman ever sent to Earth will be uglier than the less beautiful woman in the Heavens will guide you to do better in your life.
God wants us to be better than all his creations. He gave us freedom of will and wants only pure human beings to live eternally in peace and enjoyment in his Gardens of joy, How long we are going to live for ? 100 years? Eternal life could last 1000000000000000000000000000000000000 years and I know it will be more than that. So what this first life represents? 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% I think it represents ZERO or 0
I just felt like sharing with you my experience in life and hope someone learns from this and hope to hear from you, dear friends.

Michael
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 05:58 pm
Michael, are you the Archangel?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:15 pm
raheel wrote:
what have the muslims at your university done to make you scared?

They have put up posters claiming quite literally that evolutionists are 'fascists.' It scares me that people are that stupid.
0 Replies

Yablo4ko

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:04 am
Well, there is a certain reason why U should learn Arabic To understand Islam's true meaning. It is all about the language structure, which is very unique, maybe japanese can be compared to Arabic. Becase, Depending a position of a very very little element the word starts gaining totally different meaning. Especially today, when there are a lot of Sick people Interpretting All the Kind of Holy Books, not only Koran, Bible and other sources are also the same-It is very easy to get confused. If U do not want to be brainwashed By a fanatic who knows The language better than u and will try to explain that, somewhere in the Book Mohammed said something like "Kill the people". And actually kill and do not kill have almost the same form exept in one of them U put a little "." between the letters U will be messed up. It is the same like trying to Understand Photoshop for a person who did never hear about the Paint. Sorry for such an odd explanation, but it is true.
Is it hard to Learn arabic? Yeah, it is not easy. But common, if u want u can. Why U can learn Spanish, German languages, But U cannot learn The language which will maybe become a key to understand what a heck ur religion is all about. :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:11 am
Throbbism teaches that at first the earth was without form and void. Then the throbber was inserted into the void and it began to pulse which begat a throbbing that eventually led to a big bang.

The rest, as they say, is history.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 12:12 am
Throbism teaches that at first the earth was without form and void. Then the throbber was inserted into the void and it began to pulse which begat a throbbing that eventually led to a big bang.

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 06:12 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Throbism teaches that at first the earth was without form and void. Then the throbber was inserted into the void and it began to pulse which begat a throbbing that eventually led to a big bang.

OK, I'll buy that. But where does the blue vein come in?
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 07:24 am
raheel wrote:

Why is it so taboo to criticise a belief? Should I respect nazi-ism as well or does this only apply to religious theology? You're welcome to believe in Islam, just as I am welcome to believe that it's a deluded caveman mythology that the world would be better off without.

You don't have to respect that belief, you can think that it's stupid or insensitive. That's what opinions are all about.

yablo4ko wrote:
It is very easy to get confused.

Particularly if you haven't mastered a skill of thinking for yourself and determine your knowledge of the theological and metaphysical nature of the universe from a two thousand year old book.

Quote:
And actually kill and do not kill have almost the same form exept in one of them U put a little "." between the letters U will be messed up.

Given that the original copies of the Qu'ran lacked such diacritic markings that makes any copy of it a potentially poor translation.

Quote:
It is the same like trying to Understand Photoshop for a person who did never hear about the Paint.

I fail to see how knowledge of MS Paint is essential to understand Photoshop. I taught my mother to use photoshop and she has never used MS paint. Or do you refer to the actual physical substance paint?

Quote:
Why U can learn Spanish, German languages, But U cannot learn The language which will maybe become a key to understand what a heck ur religion is all about.

It's not my religion, and while I may wish to visit Spain or Germany (again), I don't have any desire to go to any of the countries which currently have Arabic as their state language.

Though actually I must confess I did learn a bit of Arabic once, I was very bored.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 07:36 am
The " foundation" myths of Conservative Islam, Judaism , and Christianity are equally as insane. Yet people swallow them like truth. The real dangers involve the resultant activism that belief in the foundation myths generally foster.

I see no difference in degrees of Danger that any of these sects pose to the majority population that merely wants to live their lives with a sense of
Freedom OF and FROM Religion.

Truthfully, I always had more hope for Islam. They were the seat of culture and the preservers of Greek science in the times when Europe was mostly eating sticks and grubs. The Islamic Creationism movement, though very slightly different in the order of Creation than Christianity, Is a relatively new thing. Europe will now have to deal with their own brand of Creationists, since the seat of the Islamic Creationism is mostly in Turkey, and if Turkeys admitted to EU, along come the fairy tales.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 12:23 pm
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
raheel wrote:

Why is it so taboo to criticise a belief? Should I respect nazi-ism as well or does this only apply to religious theology? You're welcome to believe in Islam, just as I am welcome to believe that it's a deluded caveman mythology that the world would be better off without.

Well said!
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 02:23 am
raheel wrote:

you can have your opinions but still respect others beliefs.

nazi-ism is a whole other thing to Islam (or any other religion for that matter)

nazi-ism is a distorted ideology whereas islam is about belief.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 06:59 am
raheel wrote:
raheel wrote:

you can have your opinions but still respect others beliefs.

nazi-ism is a whole other thing to Islam (or any other religion for that matter)

nazi-ism is a distorted ideology whereas islam is about belief.

Rubbish! Islam is a distorted ideology! Oviously Nazi-ism isn't a religion, it's more of a political movement or something, so there is a difference. But neither of them deserve my respect, because they are both wrong in my opinion. People deserve my respect, but their supersticious beliefs do not. That doesn't mean I go around shouting at muslims or anything, it just means that I'm not afraid to express my disaproval when muslims put up posters making ridiculous claims about the theory of evolution.
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 09:09 am
Quote:

Rubbish! Islam is a distorted ideology! Oviously Nazi-ism isn't a religion, it's more of a political movement or something, so there is a difference. But neither of them deserve my respect, because they are both wrong in my opinion. People deserve my respect, but their supersticious beliefs do not. That doesn't mean I go around shouting at muslims or anything, it just means that I'm not afraid to express my disaproval when muslims put up posters making ridiculous claims about the theory of evolution.

Dear agrote:

First of all I want to thank you warmly for interesting yourself in my religion.
You can openly criticize Islam, no problem. Yet I noticed that your remarks about Islam are very general, you did not mention a specific part or a subject in which you disagree with us (Muslims). Ah! you mentioned the theory of evolution, you wrote: "THEORY" of evolution. Your word "THEORY" is sufficient for me to prove that evolution is NOT a scientific FACT.
I can give you hundreds of articles and experiments which prove scientifically that the theory of evolution is, with all my due respect, baseless and wrong.

Best Regards.
0 Replies