61% of Americans don't know words to National Anthem?

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 12:48 pm
Yes, i've gotten good at spotting the hateful paranoia of the right . . . thanks for noticing ! ! !
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 12:50 pm
Oh, don't be foolish, gentlemen.

One can be liberal and Patriotic simultaneously.

"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality. "

-GW

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 12:51 pm
Quote:
O say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hail'd at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watch'd, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro' the night that our flag was still there.
O say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner: O, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

O thus be it ever when free-men shall stand
Between their lov'd home and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Pow'r that hath made and preserv'd us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust!"
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

On Sept. 13, 1814, Francis Scott Key visited the British fleet in Chesapeake Bay to secure the release of Dr. William Beanes, who had been captured after the burning of Washington, DC. The release was secured, but Key was detained on ship overnight during the shelling of Fort McHenry, one of the forts defending Baltimore. In the morning, he was so delighted to see the American flag still flying over the fort that he began a poem to commemorate the occasion. First published under the title "Defense of Fort M'Henry," the poem soon attained wide popularity as sung to the tune "To Anacreon in Heaven." The origin of this tune is obscure, but it may have been written by John Stafford Smith, a British composer born in 1750. "The Star-Spangled Banner" was officially made the national anthem by Congress in 1931, although it already had been adopted as such by the army and the navy.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0194015.html
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:01 pm
Oh, my Gawd! Are Montana and I the only women on this thread?

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. Razz
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:04 pm
Letty wrote:
Oh, my Gawd! Are Montana and I the only women on this thread?

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread. Razz

Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:06 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Oh, don't be foolish, gentlemen.

One can be liberal and Patriotic simultaneously.

"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality. "

-GW

Cycloptichorn

It's been my observation that libruls often seem to eschew patriotism as a "tool" used to control the masses, and something to be avoided at all costs. Much as how they view religion. ..... Patriotism and religion, for the liberal, are bad.

Am I wrong? Do liberals think patriotism is a good thing ... something to foster in our young?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:08 pm
If you're waiting for a meaningful reply from everyone who includes themselves in a class of people known as liberals -- you're in for a long wait.

However, i suspect you're just attempting to stir the turd . . . have fun . . .
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:10 pm
There's nothing wrong with a little patriotism, and during times of great struggle this can become heightened.

The problem is when patriotism becomes over-amped, and turns into nationalism, which is what the Repubs have today, not patriotism.

Same thing with Religion. A little is good, can help in times of trouble, a lot is bad.

Can we refrain from the disparaging names for each other's politics?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:13 pm
I have nothing against patriotism. It's the people who can't see through the patriotic fog that I have a problem with.

If Bush told everone to jump off a bridge, the ones that didn't jump would be the smart ones, don't you think?

As I'm left standing on the bridge having coffee and donuts with the rest of the liberals ;-)
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:14 pm
The war of 1812 was very important in American history, and the battle of Baltimore was a pivotal one. After negotiating a prisoner exchange (or something of that ilk) Francis Scott Key was coerced to spend the evening on a British warship in Baltimore harbor, praying that the British would not get past Fort McHenry. The words are well worth understanding.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:22 pm
Setanta wrote:
If you're waiting for a meaningful reply from everyone who includes themselves in a class of people known as liberals -- you're in for a long wait.

However, i suspect you're just attempting to stir the turd . . . have fun . . .

It's a colorful phrase, "stir the turd," and obviously one of your favs. I would prefer the characterization that I'm merely pointing out the turd so as to help everyone else avoid stepping on it.

Cyclops wrote:
Can we refrain from the disparaging names for each other's politics?

Did you have something specific in mind? Bear in mind I wasn't the one who called your politics a "turd" -- that was Set. :wink:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:23 pm
I was referring to the 'libruls' comment. Unless you just mis-spelled it on accident.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:24 pm
I'm sure you consider yourself the soul of wit, Tico . . . however, i did not refer to anyone's politics as a "turd"--that is a reference to any controversial subject. I suspect you know that, but you're stirring so furiously, you are probably reluctant to give up the exercise at this point . . .

Remarks of this character, which you so often make, are one of the big reasons i refer to contemporary conservative political views as hateful.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:51 pm
How come it's the right wingers who get to determine who is and isn't patriotic?

Lemme guess: Because their definition of it is so simple. Respect authority (but only if the gov't is currently being run by their own kind). Dissent is upatriotic (unless someone else is running the country).

Interesting that when Clinton was president, we didn't hear so much about this from them...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 02:00 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I was referring to the 'libruls' comment. Unless you just mis-spelled it on accident.

Cycloptichorn

I was only taking on timber's spelling. Is it pejorative?

I usually call you "liberal," "libbie," or "leftist." I promise to go back to my old ways.

Set wrote:
Remarks of this character, which you so often make, are one of the big reasons i refer to contemporary conservative political views as hateful.

Could I trouble you to point out which particular remark of mine you have concluded is "hateful." Is it the one where I ask whether liberals think patriotism is a good thing? It's a legitimate question .... just look at the liberal responses on this thread before my first post: D'artagnan thinks flag etiquette is not important; Letty seems to think the National Anthem is a good poem, nothing more; Montana thinks patriotism is overrated; Cyclops threw in a comment he obviously intended to be disparaging toward the national anthem.

D'artagnan wrote:
How come it's the right wingers who get to determine who is and isn't patriotic?

Because you leftists think it's patriotic to want the US to lose the war in Iraq .. you obviously can't be trusted to determine who is patriotic for yourselves.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 02:05 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

D'artagnan wrote:

Because you leftists think it's patriotic to want the US to lose the war in Iraq .. you obviously can't be trusted to determine who is patriotic for yourselves.

Sez you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 02:07 pm
There's a prime example of the hatefulness--the most egregious and insulting straw man you could erect. I don't care if you do or don't consider that i have adequately explained myself--the hateful remarks and innuendo are plain for all to see.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 02:08 pm
I'm rubber, your glue!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 02:13 pm
Setanta wrote:
There's a prime example of the hatefulness--the most egregious and insulting straw man you could erect. I don't care if you do or don't consider that i have adequately explained myself--the hateful remarks and innuendo are plain for all to see.

Uh huh.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 02:35 pm
I don't understand Conservatives.

They Violate the Constitution using war as a shield.

They constantly attack the First Amendment and other Constitutional protections. Ignoring the very things that make our nation great.

They insist that Christianity is the "religion of the nation" in spite of direct constitutional and historical facts to the contrary.

They regret the civil rights for which Americans fought so hard .

They attack dissent as "un-patriotic" when, since the beginning of our nation Americans recognized the importance of, and protect the rights of dissenters.

You want to make the flag a meaningless symbol by attacking all that it stands for... then you want to bludgeon people into making sure they curtsy correctly when it passes by.

Liberals are far more patriotic than conservatives because we fight for what our flag and our nation truly stand for-- liberty and justice for all.

Conservatives are all about style with no substance.

Like Orwellian pigs, they are trying to make the United States just like the Authoritarian nations they claim to be opposing.
0 Replies