The US, UN & Iraq II

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:01 pm
perception wrote:
We anticipate it will take at least twenty years to "Liberate" the country and to recoup the cost of the war for the US taxpayers.

how do you see us, as tax payers, earning any of the money spent back? War refunds?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:03 pm
dys, for real?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:03 pm
dyslxia, got more on that wonderful news, maybe we are witnessing the domino effect!
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:12 pm
trespasserswill,

I am not on your back. I was distressed to see the arrogance and cynicism that is displayed by stating the obvious, that we, with our overweening power, will destroy anything we set out to destroy.

[quote]Do you actually think there is ANY question as to whether the US and UK led coalition will prevail over Saddam's forces? Any? Seriously????[/quote]

I heard an interesting discussion today on NPR, State of the Nation. It was an interview, among other things, with a former military strategist about the conduct of the war so far. I don't know if he can be believed, but it showed serious disagreement about strategy that may be playing out in the field right now. Many fewer troops on the ground, as per belief by Rumsfeld that "shock and awe" would make them unnecessary. Long, strung out attack troops, backed up by vulnerable support lines, are thinner than they should be.

The strategist pointed out that it was damn lucky that Turkey did not allow our division to base there and go into northern Iraq. Now, they are available to help the beleaguered and too thin forces as they head for Baghdad. That division was not needed that much in Northern Iraq, and is needed much more in the south.

He said that Rumsfeld wanted even fewer troops on the ground but that Franks insisted, as far as he was able to do so, and thus there are more than Rumsfeld wanted. This man pointed out as an aside that R. is the most hated secy of defense in decades, and that he shows a disdain for the soldier in the field that those troops are aware of. He is known as arrogant and not able to accept advice.

Much commentary about strategy on this talk show. The initial shock and awe thing just didn't go as planned; they were not shocked nor awed. The original plan was probably a good one, as it intended a surgical strike with few casualties and would be followed by the capitulation of the regime. Well, who knew? The regime was not toppled and surprising resistance ensued. The ground war that was not wanted followed too quickly upon, and there were not enough troops to prosecute it, although the administration has denied this fact every time it has been presented or even brought up.

This strategist thinks that there should be no hurry to get to Baghdad. Unlike the original plan, which did not work, his suggestion was to take and hold cities and positions incrementally, and then wait for the word to get out to the populace that the end was inevitable. Take up a holding and advancing position, but in no great hurry to get to the street-fighting stage of Baghdad. By the time our troops arrive there, resistance may have crumpled or popular sentiment will have swung our way.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:21 pm
its now being reported "MSNBC" Richard Perle resigned because of his conflict of interest due to the current request for an investigation initiated by Congress
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5596
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:22 pm
Notice he didn't quite the money making job - guess he got everything set before he left.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:23 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Richard Perle one of the Bush masterminds of the Iraq invasion has just tendered his resignation -- MSNBC

I think this more has to do with his role in the Global Crossing Scandal.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:36 pm
Dagmar wrote:

let's keep the thread readable. if you dislike someone personnally, that's what the PMs are for. or just deal with it yourself , but don't air it on the thread. the rules for the debate in the politics forum were posted just yesterday in one of the posts, do go back and re-read them.

I would suggest you stop wasting space acting as self appointed moderator.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:42 pm
LittleK

I wrote that thing about twenty years---tongue in cheek. I would however like us to stay long enough to ensure we recover most of the money spent on this venture. Russia, Germany and France will not have any input in the future of Iraq or at least that will be the case until Bush is no longer President.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:43 pm
Kara wrote:
trespasserswill,

I am not on your back. I was distressed to see the arrogance and cynicism that is displayed by stating the obvious, that we, with our overweening power, will destroy anything we set out to destroy.

[quote]Do you actually think there is ANY question as to whether the US and UK led coalition will prevail over Saddam's forces? Any? Seriously????

Trespasserswill said prevail. You said destroy. There seems a lot of interpretation going on, here.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:48 pm
BillW wrote:

dyslxia, got more on that wonderful news, maybe we are witnessing the domino effect!

Bill please start holding breath ---NOW.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:53 pm
If it comes from you I know it is bad!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:54 pm
Does anyone have a firm sense of whether Saddam is in Baghdad? Or in Iraq?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:57 pm
Or on earth, as we know it? Nada!
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:58 pm
Tartarin wrote:

US intellignce found out he moves in and around Baghdad through a series of underground catacombs that lead from one bunker to the next.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,82380,00.html

:wink: They say that his behaviour is against the rules of engagement and that he is in breach with the Geneva Convention. :wink:
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:05 pm
Tartarin wrote:

Why do you want to know?---so you can warn him?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:09 pm
Last time I spoke with him, Perception, he was cognizant of the invading army, but he didn't say where he was. I thought you might know.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:16 pm
Tartarin

I think you're giving him too much credit for being "cognizant"--I'm told animals don't have cognitive powers. Animals are cunning but not cognizant.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:21 pm
A most interesting last few pages ... particulalrly the debate over whether I were to be permitted to have an opinion ... as though that might come as a surprise to some folks? Any member is welcome to participate in discussions provided that participation is within the prescribed standards. Anyone is welcome to call me, or anyone else, on a point of order, so long as that criticism or question likewise is posed in acceptable manner. I trust most members realize I don't let my "Moderator" status influence me much, nor do I employ that status to press any non-website-related agenda. Timber ain't changed a bit, and ain't likely to, neither Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil

Moderator, on the otherhand, does wish to mention that while reminders and civil crticisms are cool, its for the best if members don't get into intrapersonal squabbles on the threads ... even if the point of the squabble is an effort toward moderating a"hotted-up" thread. Sniping at ideas is fine. Sniping at one another is not, no matter who, what, when, where, why, or how the sniping gets started.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 06:48 pm
I wish to thank timberlandko for the his way of inserting good karma into what could be a vicious thread. (It is about killing isn't it? This thread about the US the UN and Iraq.... it is about how to kill the right amount, the right proportion, the right individual Iraqis in order to achieve ........hah hah hah .......peace.
Thanks Timber. Is there any news about your kiddo? I'm really concerned. I hate that he is there.

I'm eating dinner. I hate that he is there.
Joe
0 Replies