The US, UN & Iraq II

Tartarin

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 09:57 am
I wonder if that's why Gere was chosen for the role -- because he has little piggy eyes like Bush's eyes. (Though granted, Gere's have some life and humor in them.)
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:05 am
Tartar wrote:

Rummy and Perception -- ol' buddies. They deserve each other!!

I present this as evidence of who in this crowd hits the gutter first.

Here I am trying to "psych" myself up for the apology that I MAY have to make and this is what I am met with. Tsk--Tsk
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:08 am
Tartarin

My mailbox, in high curiousitude, awaits your PM.

Re west nile...do you folks recall the 'yellow rain' scare. CIA in Cambodia (I think I have that right) after seeing brownish-yellow droplets on leaves and patio tables, started yelling about chem warfare engaged by the nasty commies. A couple of biologists there checked it out. Honey bees, as it happens, leave their nest each morning on a mass defecation flight - same route every time, I think - and what ever is below gets it. That was the yellow rain.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:10 am
Just a quick request here ... to all on the thread, no one in particular ... please don't make me put on my Moderator hat.

Thank you. Carry on.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:11 am
curiositude? Laughing
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:12 am
perception, we wait with bated breath <turning a light shade of blue here>
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:12 am
Geneva Convention... http://slate.msn.com/id/2080617/
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:17 am
and some more on...

POW TV
Why Rumsfeld should be careful about lecturing Saddam about the Geneva Conventions.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2080616/
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:17 am
Gautam

Continue holding breath!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:21 am
Hersch on the Nigerian nuke document forgery...
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?030331fa_fact1
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:37 am
blatham wrote:
Hersch on the Nigerian nuke document forgery...
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?030331fa_fact1

I just created a discussion regarding a Spinsanity piece on Iraq that touches on the veracity of this claim.

Spinsanity: Myths and misconceptions about Iraq

It's a nice little piece that attempts to answer a number of questions surrounding the Iraq issue.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:45 am
This is what happened to some people who stayed in their home near Baghdad:

http://electroniciraq.net/news/394.shtml
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:54 am
extracts from http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,921192,00.html

Quote:
Rumsfeld had better watch his back. For this enthusiastic convert to the cause of legal warfare is, as head of the defence department, responsible for a series of crimes sufficient, were he ever to be tried, to put him away for the rest of his natural life.

As Jamie Doran's film Afghan Massacre: Convoy of Death records, some hundreds, possibly thousands, of them were loaded into container lorries at Qala-i-Zeini, near the town of Mazar-i-Sharif, on November 26 and 27. The doors were sealed and the lorries were left to stand in the sun for several days. At length, they departed for Sheberghan prison, 80 miles away. The prisoners, many of whom were dying of thirst and asphyxiation, started banging on the sides of the trucks. Dostum's men stopped the convoy and machine-gunned the containers. When they arrived at Sheberghan, most of the captives were dead.

The US special forces running the prison watched the bodies being unloaded. They instructed Dostum's men to "get rid of them before satellite pictures can be taken". Doran interviewed a Northern Alliance soldier guarding the prison. "I was a witness when an American soldier broke one prisoner's neck. The Americans did whatever they wanted. We had no power to stop them." Another soldier alleged: "They took the prisoners outside and beat them up, and then returned them to the prison. But sometimes they were never returned, and they disappeared."

The five soldiers dragged in front of the cameras yesterday should thank their lucky stars that they are prisoners not of the American forces fighting for civilisation, but of the "barbaric and inhuman" Iraqis.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:59 am
What are we holding our breath(s) for?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:11 am
And here I am, out on the edges again. Sounds like lyrics to a song, or a line from a poem. No matter. But I seem to be finding the edges of this thread, or side issues, if you will, to be fertile ground for questions just begging to be asked.

This time I am pondering why it would necessarily be a bad thing for an independent, autonomous Kurdistan (?) to be formed, from the edges of Turkey, Iran, Iraq, and anyone else wanting to get rid of this ethnic group of deviants.

What am I missing here? Just why is it so important that Iraqi territorial borders be sacrosanct? When have any borders been so regarded?

Other than setting precedent, is that four corners area sitting on some kind of natural wealth that I am unfamiliar with, which would cause the respective countries to be loath to giving up an edge?

Have we learned nothing from past history about the strength and resolve of a people, self-identifying themselves as a people different from other people, in their determination to be a people? Do we want to have to revisit this area in the future?

How about setting them up as a UN protectorate for "x" of years, and then having the citizenry vote on what they want to do?

All of the respective countries involved in this issue regard it as a nuisance thorn in their sides. So why not pull it out?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:17 am
Don't miss this cartoon on the "humanitarian thrust"!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/cartoons/stevebell/0,7371,921490,00.html
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:19 am
Soon to be in the news: Popular anti-regime uprising in Basra confirmed underway, similar activity rumored in other "Bypassed" Southern cities.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:22 am
timberlandko wrote:
Soon to be in the news: Popular anti-regime uprising in Basra confirmed underway, similar activity rumored in other "Bypassed" Southern cities.

Hmmmm... Perhaps our idea of what constitutes "freedom" and theirs are compatible after all! :wink:
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:26 am
Timber

Re: The uprising against Saddam in Basra and other bypassed cities---this is indeed welcome news.

I personally had no idea that Saddams Stalinist organization was so large and comprehensive---did you?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:30 am
I wonder if there isn't some hidden issue here, too, Sumac. One thing the Kurds may have going for themselves is the refusal of the Turks to permit their territory to be used to stage a second front. Had they not done this, we would have probably felt obliged to honor their wishes in the matter.
0 Replies