The US, UN & Iraq II

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:11 pm
I also find France's position logical. UN holds the same approach and it is desirable that as many countries as possible did. Although K. Annan warned in his speech to the Security Council and to the President in New York some 2 days ago that it is expected that the perpetrator of the war pays for the re-building of the country. But that the humanitarian aid will be strengthened and all will be done to aid the U.S. to revive and rebuild Iraq. It will be a long long process and after a few years original commitments tend to get forgotten. OxFam has by now only one de facto functional unit - the OxFam Canada who had a number of very successfull projects especially in Africa. Very little is hear about American OxFam, it seems it does not do much. Now that you mention it, I must check out what ever happened to them.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:14 pm
...parasites???
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:15 pm
perception wrote:
Nimb

I hope Bush does not allow France to participate in anything---.

i didn't understand that Bush OWNED Iraq is this an example of what a national CEO can do? will there be an IPO?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:17 pm
Poor Blatham! Gone quite mad! Well, it's understandable...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:18 pm
Ok, maybe I missed this on npr and the BBC, but napalm?

Napalm?
"Marine Cobra helicopter gunships firing Hellfire missiles swept in low from the south. Then the marine howitzers, with a range of 30 kilometres, opened a sustained barrage over the next eight hours. They were supported by US Navy aircraft which dropped 40,000 pounds of explosives and napalm, a US officer told the Herald."
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:22 pm
Yikes, LittleK. What a horror. Here are a couple of paragraphs from the link you supplied:

Marine Cobra helicopter gunships firing Hellfire missiles swept in low from the south. Then the marine howitzers, with a range of 30 kilometres, opened a sustained barrage over the next eight hours. They were supported by US Navy aircraft which dropped 40,000 pounds of explosives and napalm, a US officer told the Herald.

A legal expert at the International Committee of the Red Cross in Geneva said the use of napalm or fuel air bombs was not illegal "per se" because the US was not a signatory to the 1980 weapons convention which prohibits and restricts certain weapons. "But the US has to apply the basic principles of International Humanitarian Law (IHL) and take all precautions to protect civilians. In the case of napalm and fuel air bombs, these are special precautions because these are area weapons, not specific weapons," said Dominique Loye, the committee's adviser on weapons and IHL.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:23 pm
We Canadians shall not sit/stand/dance idly while some rapscallion derogates our architecture. I am beside myself (unfortunately allowing me to note that my nose is as large as my sister says).

Retract!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:26 pm
Tartarin wrote:

Why can't you argue the issues, Perception? Why do you always have to resort to personal attack? It doesn't bolster your argument!

I learned on this forum the futility of trying to reason with someone who only uses one side of the brain such as yourself. But then the other side of your brain has been completely destroyed by your hatred of the president and his team.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:28 pm
Oh no! Tartarin's brain has been detroyed! Completely! Mine too I guess. Alas and alack.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:32 pm
I think it's the company we keep, LittleK!!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:32 pm
And then there's the road food, Blatham!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:33 pm
I can't retract, Blatham. My integrity is at stake... steak...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:33 pm
perc has a point, perhaps. Let's say hatred of the Bush administration has done damage to the right side of our brain. If we ask perc what his feelings on Clinton are, we might just discover a comparable, if mirror-image, area of damage.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:34 pm
Surely we are not using napalm. The report must be in error.

NIMH, happy to see you here.
0 Replies

littlek

Blatham - are you saying your nose is a work of architectural magnitude?
0 Replies

dyslexia

does "president and his team" translate to CEO and Board of Directors?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Bail yourself out with Arthur Erickson and cod's cheeks if you like.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:35 pm
Kara I'll hope with you it was in error. The report says it was dropped over a military installment.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:36 pm
Well, the left side of the brain controls rational thinking. THAT EXPLAINS IT ALL! We artistes, whether tutu-ed or covered in acrylics, carry the day.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 10:36 pm
LittleK -- Your report quoted a US military officer, didn't it?
0 Replies