The US, UN & Iraq II

dyslexia

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:42 pm
however this is not a first for the US. From Pres Polk to Pres Reagan we have used preemptive war. we just didn't call it that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:51 pm
Havings seen Straw on tv, reading his text, well did he really believe what he said?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:57 pm
I don't know what's worse, to embark on an illegal immoral unnecessary pre emptive attack on a sovereign member of the UN, or to support and join in that attack for no other reason than to be seen to be on the same side as the aggressor.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 02:57 pm
Theres a discussion digression regarding cut-and-paste over at: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=140220#140220

First, copyright conventions should be observed. Next, anytime a brief quote excerpted from an article will serve the point, excerpt and attribute. That is just considerate. Sometimes a quote and a link just won't do, but use common sense. Link whenever you can, excerpt a quote or post a precis, and dont burn up the bandwidth. Cut-and-paste only if you have to. Folks on dialup in particular will appreciate that. Its just good netiquet.

timber
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 03:04 pm
Walter,

No I don't think he did believe in his heart, the words he read out. But you know what politicians are like. This is a very difficult situation. Taking the country into an illegal war is a serious business, and as much as I'm sure Jack Straw likes the French, they are a useful target for any blame that has to be apportioned.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 03:05 pm
Turkish Leaders to Act on U.S. Troops

ISTANBUL, Turkey - Turkey's top political and military leaders called on the government Monday to take urgent action to allow in U.S. troops.

9 minutes ago http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=540&e=3&u=/ap/20030317/ap_on_re_mi_ea/turkey_us_iraq
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 03:11 pm
Reuters gives a little bit more text than ul's yahoo link:

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L17489577
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 03:22 pm
tres, you are right. It is like taking paper home from the office or making personal telephone calls on your employer's time, things that I have never done because it felt like stealing from the company.

I should have excerpted bits and added my comments, making it my own joined with theirs. Or, as you say, tell folks and let them buy the Journal or borrow one.

Are you being a bit scrupulous? Maybe. But that is better than me being sneaky. Thanks for keeping me honest.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 04:19 pm
From the "Argument" of tomorrow's Independent:

Quote:
It is a strange paradox that while Mr Blair's arguments have failed to convince, his patent sincerity has impressed, banishing his reputation as a fickle politician without convictions. His address and answers after Sunday's Azores summit were worthy of a first-class statesman, leaving Mr Bush looking like an ill-informed amateur. Key elements of his foreign policy, however, are in shreds. Any ambition he might have had to lead Europe in the future is at an end. Britain's reputation and influence in the Arab world cannot but be diminished. Britain risks being seen once again as Washington's junior partner and no more.

http://argument.independent.co.uk/leading_articles/story.jsp?story=388238
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 04:21 pm
Kara - As a rule, I tend to think that copying a paragraph and offering the source is fine, since it is likely to generate more interest in their publication.

And I have reams of paper from the office. Shocked Perhaps I am more scrupulous of intellectual property because I think to benefit from others being so as well.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 06:13 pm
Tres

Re apologizing for patent lies by politicians because it is common...not a chance. Call the buggers on it every time, or you're a lousy citizen. Especially, for gods sake, on a whopper of this magnitude on an issue this serious.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 06:39 pm
I think I'm going to throw up.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 07:06 pm
Thanks, Blatham. Now, war protesters, join me in turning the protest directly on Bush and his cohort. Be as serious and unforgiving as he has been. He deserves no less.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 07:49 pm
walter, I am in total agreement with the Independent editorial. I know that Tony Blair's future is now in doubt, but I have always felt the sincerity of his stance. He did not need to invoke God's blessing on his policies, nor did he appear sanctimonious about his considered views. What irony that he will suffer politically when Bush will be re-elected in a rush of patriotic fervor and jingoistic triumphalism.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 08:09 pm
Whatever else may come of this Tony Blair is assured of being remembered a man of courage and honor. Such qualities often do little to gain one points in popularity contests.

timber
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 08:14 pm
dyslexia wrote:
however this is not a first for the US. From Pres Polk to Pres Reagan we have used preemptive war. we just didn't call it that.

dyslexia is quite right. These are excerpts of President Polk's special message asking Congress to declare war on Mexico

Full Text

"the long-continued and unredressed wrongs and injuries committed by the Mexican Government on citizens of the United States in their persons and property...Mr. John Slidell, of Louisiana, was comissioned by me as envoy extraordinary and minister plenipotentiary of the United States to Mexico, and was intrusted with full powers to adjust both the questions of the Texas boundary and of indemnification to our citizens. The redress of the wrongs of our citizens naturally and inseparably blended itself with the question of boundary. The settlement of the one question in any correct view of the subject involves that of the other. I could not for a moment entertain the idea that the claims of our much-injured and long-suffering citizens, many of which had existed for more than twenty years, should be postponed or separated from the settlement of the boundary question... the Mexican Government refused all negotiation, and have made no proposition of any kind. In my message at the commencement of the present session I informed you that upon the earnest appeal both of the Congress and convention of Texas I had ordered an efficient military force to take a position « between the Nueces and the Del Norte.» This had become necessary to meet a threatened invasion of Texas by the Mexican forces, for which extensive military preparations had been made. The invasion was threatened solely because Texas had determined, in accordance with a solemn resolution of the Congress of the United States, to annex herself to our Union, and under these circumstances it was plainly our duty to extend our protection over her citizens and soil...Had we acted with vigor in repelling the insults and redressing the injuries inflicted by Mexico at the commencement, we should doubtless have escaped all the difficulties in which we are now involved."

This sounds quite familiar, doesn't it?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 08:25 pm
trimber

I suspect he may be remembered by some in that way, but I won't be one of them if this political decision is the subject under discussion. Recall, if you will, his own statement that if Britain went along with the US, then that was, in effect, preventing the US from acting unilaterally. For that statement alone he deserves a pie in the face every day for the rest of his life. Pity, as I like the guy, but on this one, he's putting a big hurt on world peace and the stability of the future. I understand your estimation of these things differs from mine.

However, I'll have a long term fondness for our PM, a disappointment until of late. I like him particularly now, as we aren't joining in.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 08:35 pm
Lola

You mentioned oil...but I'm sure it is just good-hearted concern for down-trodden Iraquis behind the move that will kill downtrodden Iraquis. Oh, and terrorism, of course.

But on the oil thing...let's look at the Defense Policy Board, a group created by the Defence Department in 1985, now chaired by Richard Perle, who was appointed by Rumsfeld in 2001.

Along with Perle, Henry Kissinger and Gerald Hillman sit on the DPB. Coincidentally, all three are involved in a 'security and defence' private business named Trireme. The following is from Hersh's article in the New Yorker
Quote:
Hillman, a former McKinsey consultant, stunned at least one (Defence Policy) board member at the February meeting when he raised questions about the validity of Iraq's existing oil contracts. "Hillman said the old contracts are bad news: he said we should kick out the Russians and the French," the board member told me. "This was a serious conversation. We'd become the brokers. Then we'd be selling futures in the Iraqui oil company. I said to myself, 'Oh, man. Don't go down that road'" Hillman denies making such statements at the meeting.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 08:42 pm
...just watching Peter Jennings on ABC with a take from London...Robin Cook saying, (to paraphrase) that if Al Gore had prevailed, we would not be at war....

My sentiments...
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2003 08:44 pm
Sorry, I meant to include, "the hanging chads", and if Al Gore had been allowed to prevail, we would not be at war!
0 Replies