The US, UN & Iraq II

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 05:24 pm
Yea, but the London Bridge isn't the "London Bridge" they thought they bought. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 05:25 pm
BTW, I'm off to the London Gathering on March 17 for eight days. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 05:28 pm
Still kinda impressive - Smile

http://www.vegasvulture.com/mitsou/photo/lbwide.jpg
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 05:33 pm
By the way c.i., have a safe trip and keep in touch! Smile
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 05:52 pm
Oi

Who nicked that bridge?

Got very wet yesterday
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:08 pm
And here's the bridge the American thought he bought.

http://www.3dphoto.net/stereo/world/europe/great_britain/london/tower_bridge.html

c.i. Wink
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:13 pm
I remeber when the sale occured, I couldn't even begin to imagine how they were going to get that bridge moved. Many years later I realized the Tower Bridge wasn't the object of sale. Didn't know there was a hoodwinking at play! Cool
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:13 pm
BillW:

EXACTLY! You got it...You betcha! (talking Minnesotan)
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:24 pm
Israel is egregiously more flagrant in their unmitigated aggressive flaunting of UN sanctions, with far more firepower, WoMD - etc. Still I would never stand for anyone suggestiing they be attack and have a Regime change. Yet they need it - and so does Palestine.

<sigh>
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:24 pm
In the Name of God

Bush's rhetoric suggests that he feels God has chosen him to lead the U.S. against "Evil." Is that why Bush is dragging us into an unprovoked war?

http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/polipro/pp2003-03-05.htm
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:26 pm
There is going to be another large anti-war demonstration here in Washington, DC, this weekend on Saturday, the 15th.

Another one, though less heralded in the news is very important, and it is VETERANS AGAINST IRAQ WAR, and it will start on Saturday, the 22nd through the 24th. There will be meetings on Saturday, a march on Sunday, and on Monday meetings with members of congress. Here is the website: http://www.vaiw.org

Did anyone see the article on the front page of the Sunday Washington Post about combat veterans? "Combats Bitter Revelations...By the Time the Lessons of War Come, Its Too Late, Say Veterans": http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A63426-2003Mar8.html

Nothing this administration has told us so far has impressed me as truthful. I have said this before and I will reiterate: I have been lied to before with the Gulf of Tonkin, and I do not believe my government is telling us the truth this time either. It gets more surreal each day.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:28 pm
Vnn, Doesn't it gall you to hear Bush continually repeating that he's doing this for the American People? c.i.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:32 pm
ci: It sure does...it is nauseating to me.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:39 pm
Vietnamnurse

Quote:
Another one, though less heralded in the news is very important, and it is VETERANS AGAINST IRAQ WAR, and it will start on Saturday, the 22nd through the 24th.

When and if the war starts on the 17th. let's have done with the demonstrations. IMO It will than be time to support the troops in the field.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:49 pm
So if anyone with half a brain can see this war is illegal (UN) immoral (pope, archbishop of canterbury) unnecessary (Hans Blix) unpopular (any opinion poll), plus in Britain it will bring down a well respected leader (T Blair) ferment a constitutional crisis (no parliamentary vote) act against our interests (N Sea oil), hopelessly compromise our claim to be leaders in Europe, **** up the EU common defence policy, delay if not kill Britian's entry into the eurozone, kill God knows how many of our service men and women, cost us a fortune in rebuilding Iraq, do nothing to temper America's addiction to profilgate use of fossil fuels, I could go on...

well why can't the people stop this madness? what is wrong with us? Are we so supine that we just go along with it because we can't think?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:57 pm
Steve do you remember a movie where the characters were programmed to do specific things when they heard certain words? Bush and his cabinet and staff plus his supporters just keep saying the same stuff over and over and it appears to be verbatim. It is like they are robots are something.

Non of this makes sense to me as for the President listening to the people I think he and they, the administration, believe they know what is better for the US, the world, the UN, the religious leaders of the world, and the people of the world. And then bristle at the description arrogant.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:00 pm
I'd like to talk some more about Bush the Elder's comments and will excerpt and link them here again (thanks, ul):

The first President Bush has told his son that hopes of peace in the Middle East would be ruined if a war with Iraq were not backed by international unity.

Drawing on his own experiences before and after the 1991 Gulf War, Mr Bush Sr said that the brief flowering of hope for Arab-Israeli relations a decade ago would never have happened if America had ignored the will of the United Nations.

He also urged the President to resist his tendency to bear grudges, advising his son to bridge the rift between the United States, France and Germany.

"You've got to reach out to the other person. You've got to convince them that long-term friendship should trump short-term adversity," he said.

Times Online

I wonder if the right-wing pundits will now criticize this former president for being openly critical of the current White House resident?

This is a pretty amazing development. Things must be getting really bad between father and son that George Sr. has to resort to a public forum to get his message out. And the fact that he is no longer using Brent Scowcroft to deliver his messages makes it doubly significant.

Has this been talked about at all in the American press?
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:03 pm
What do you feel that what you are being fed by our
all news network channels day and night ? Do you
honestly believe this is non biased, and non
propaganda and is actually truth, FACTS AND FIGURES?
I do not. I believe we have been lied to, are now
being lied to still & will continue to be lied to until the
end of time - but if the US insists upon having their war,
they should just go on over there, kill thousands of
innocent people who have absolutely nothing to do with
our country, nor with 9/11 - then, at least the stock market
would improve. Too bad, I can not say the same about
our "world image" which would then be doubly
dastardly in the eyes of the rest of the world.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:04 pm
Au: Genugh! We do support the troops in the field. If you go to the site that I suggested you would know that. www.vaiw.org

Do not presume what you do not know.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 07:11 pm
Once the war starts are we all going to "Shut Up?"
0 Replies