The US, UN & Iraq II

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 12:34 pm
There's an article in today's San Jose Mercury News in the Perspective Section titled, "ARABS|U.S. intentions mistrusted." The survey shows the results from Lebanon, Egypt, Morocco, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates. Here's how they voted as an average: Very favorable = 2.5%; Somewhat favorable = 8.7%; Somewhat unfavorable = 27.1%; Very unfavorable = 54.7%, and Not familiar or not sure = 7.0%. 95 percent of Saudis said Iraq war would bring less democracy (highest in survey). 8 percent of respondents in U.A.E. said it would bring more democracy (highest in survey).
It seems this administration will also ignore the majority of Arab nations close to Iraq. I think a "democratic" administration would respond to these concerns with more empathy and understanding, rather than "war - full charge ahead."
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 01:00 pm
Cicerone Imposter wrote:
95 percent of Saudis said Iraq war would bring less democracy

When did the subjects of the absolute monarchy become experts in democracy? Well, if the Hollywood stars are being interviewed on problems of geopolitics and strategic planning, then Saudis may be considered the best reference population for assessment of democracy chances in the post-war Iraq. When the media launch a poll about prospects of development of information technologies, they should first and foremost ask opinion of janitors and dishwashers, according to the above logic.
0 Replies

HofT

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 01:16 pm
Saudi Arabia, plus a few other countries in the area - unlike Turkey and Israel - have given permission for calculating Tomahawk missiles trajectories over their territories.

And firing said Tomahawk missiles over their territories.

The so-called "democracies" in the Middle East are no friends of the United States - with the possible exception of Iran <G>
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 01:22 pm
Israel does not object to such a thing either, but no request for such a permission has ever been made. If Iran is a democracy, friendly to the USA, then North Korea should be considered such a thing as well. Iran has specific interests in the Southern Iraq that hosts numerous Shi'ite population, this explains Iranian ability to cooperate in this particular aspect.
Saudi Arabia is interested in replacement of Saddam not less than the USA are: Iraqi aggression against Kuwait in 1990 showed that Iraq posed threat to the monarchies in the area.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 01:22 pm
steissd, I only posted what the San Jose Mercury has in their article. I make no judgements on them. Everybody must come to their own conclusions on what it means or doesn't. That a poll would show how destrustful Arabs are of US intensions, I think it deserves consideration for whatever it's worth. That they are not a "democracy" in American theory or form is a moot point. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 01:26 pm
I did not argue you. I argued significance of the results of such a poll.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 01:54 pm
Just saw the conclusion of the "press conference". I saw resolve, solidarity, and a line clearly drawn in the sand (no funny pun or anything else intended). 36 hours, give or take, for the UN diplomatic community to show its position, and then, in we go.

Perhaps that Israeli interceptor was correct. 3/18 appears to be the date, which would explain for the decrease in email traffic as people move into forward positions, away from internet access.

Sigh.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 02:08 pm
From today's Iraq news:
- US Secretary of State Colin Powell says he can see no point in a new meeting of the UN Security Council and warns journalists and other people to consider leaving Baghdad

- Pope John Paul appeals for a peaceful resolution to the crisis, saying: "There is still time to negotiate, there is still space for peace"

- Germany urges its citizens to leave Iraq "immediately" and prepares to close its embassy in Baghdad

well, and:
Bush and Blair at 'war council' :
· US, UK and Spain in last-ditch effort for peace
· War ultimatum may come tomorrow
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 02:11 pm
It is my supposition that much of the "Delay" and "Diplomacy" of the past couple of weeks or so has been due to Turkey's indecision.
With Turkey's oft-postponed decision no longer an operative factor in "The Decision", resultant frantic realignment of assets is or very nearly is complete. Turkey forced the US adoption of "Plan B", to which The US is now committed. The fuse has been lit, the warning has been sounded. What remains is to see where the pieces fall after the explosion, and I suspect the anticipation will not be lengthy.

timber
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 02:23 pm
But I'm still afraid that Saddam is going to use "human shields" to show the world that innocent Iraqi's are being slaughtered by the thousands by the US/British attack on Baghdad. c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 02:24 pm
The Turkish PM Recep Tayyip Erdogan is said, according to opposition leader Deniz Baykal, to have undersigned a secret pact with the US, disregarding the by that the Turkish parliament, giving the US the nine bases for the war.

This would explain the military convois and great landings of troops in Turkey last week. (This news is today's Turkish papers and has been published in German, among others, by Spiegel-online: http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/0,1518,240465,00.html )
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 02:30 pm
That looks like trouble, doesn't it Walter!
0 Replies

ul

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 02:31 pm
STATEMENT OF THE ATLANTIC SUMMIT:

A VISION FOR IRAQ AND THE IRAQI PEOPLE

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030316/ap_on_re_eu/summit_statement_iraq_1
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 02:34 pm
Thanks, ul!

Tartarin
Spiegel headline of their article on this: "Erdogan's dangerous tightrope walk"
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 02:43 pm
Cicerone Imposter wrote:
But I'm still afraid that Saddam is going to use "human shields" to show the world that innocent Iraqi's are being slaughtered by the thousands by the US/British attack on Baghdad. c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 02:53 pm
Which will doubtless also be true, Steissd. I just heard on loco (also local) radio that someone has taken photos of the TV background built in Kuwait or somewhere so CNN et al. can show Tommy Franks being manly and competent in front of a cardboard war.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 03:20 pm
Well, this is a thematic background for interviewing Gen. Franks. There is nothing loco (insane in Spanish) in such an idea.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 03:39 pm
I saw the Azores news conference on TV.

So, the plan seems to be, ask the UN for a resolution tomorrow, but take no vote on it, then start war Tuesday or Wednesday.

A "NO" vote at the UN would destroy Tony Blair's position with the British parliament and people. What he is doing seems illegal anyway, and this would remove all doubt.

McT
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 03:40 pm
The only loco I can see from my vantage point is the analogy of a locomotive moving too fast to stop this madness. c.i.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2003 04:05 pm
Tommy Frank's "Goodwill Tour" of Capitols and bases is over. His flag has been raised at The Command Center. He is there, and he is officially "Working". I believe the safety is off, the trigger has been pulled, and the hammer is falling.

No mention anywhere of a massive asteroid impact being imminent, so it looks like The War is a done deal.

Here comes History, kids.

timber
0 Replies