The US, UN & Iraq II

the prince

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:24 am
Perception, maybe you can point out the relevant sections to me ?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:25 am
Don't forget to turn the audio on.... http://www.moveon.org/technicaldifficulties/
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:27 am
I think it quite likely OBL has been captured, but the various agencies that have an interest in him will want to manage the news and time its release for tactical reasons. But remember folks, YOU READ IT HERE FIRST Drunk
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:29 am
Gautam

Nah----that's making it too easy for you.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:29 am
perception, let us not go further than my own country. Maybe this will be a bit interesting to you ? Read and form yr own opinion abt the might of the Indian military forces.

http://armedforces.nic.in/
0 Replies

ul

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:30 am
Did Pakistan Stage Khalid Arrest?

REUTERS[ TUESDAY, MARCH 11, 2003 ]

ISLAMABAD: A grainy video purporting to show the arrest of two al-Qaida leaders has done little to deflect accusations that Pakistan may have staged this month’s raid to give it leeway to abstain in a UN vote on an Iraq war

On Monday, the ISI held an unprecedented news conference to show foreign journalists what it said were images of a March 1 raid in Rawalpindi that netted al-Qaida kingpin Khalid Sheikh Mohammed.

But few of journalists present were convinced the video —which did not show Mohammed’s face nor any sign of a struggle —was genuine.

On Tuesday, former ISI chief Hamid Gul said he believed Mohammed was actually arrested some time ago in a different city.

“They are trying to cover up,” he said. “I believe he was arrested before, probably in Karachi.” One intelligence source said Mohammed had been arrested three days before, from the Tench Batta suburb of Rawalpindi.

Gul said news of the arrest appeared to have been leaked at a critical time, just as Pakistan was facing huge US pressure to support a UN Security Council vote authorising war on Iraq.

Meanwhile, Pakistan has arrested 10 men in Peshawar for suspected al-Qaida links and an intelligence source says one was believed to have had contact with Osama bin Laden
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:33 am
Steve wrote:

But remember folks, YOU READ IT HERE FIRST

Damn-- that little "drinking face" didn't copy----have another one Steve you're on a roll.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:35 am
perception wrote:
Gautam

Nah----that's making it too easy for you.

Laughing am I in a exam ? Would making it easy for me a bad thing ? Smile

You know, I took up ur advice and started reading the UN charter. Unfortunately I got stuck at the preamble itself..

WE THE PEOPLES OF THE UNITED NATIONS DETERMINED

to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind, and

to reaffirm faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women and of nations large and small, and

to establish conditions under which justice and respect for the obligations arising from treaties and other sources of international law can be maintained, and

to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,

AND FOR THESE ENDS

to practice tolerance and live together in peace with one another as good neighbours, and

to unite our strength to maintain international peace and security, and

to ensure, by the acceptance of principles and the institution of methods, that armed force shall not be used, save in the common interest, and

to employ international machinery for the promotion of the economic and social advancement of all peoples,
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:40 am
Salaam, Gautam!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:40 am
Gautam

Keep reading ----- once you get past the idealistic ramblings---you will get to the meat and find out the UN has no teeth and no way of enforcing anything.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:45 am
Gautam -- You'll want to avoid idealistic ramblings or anything else which would make the world a good place to live in. We Americans like meat and teeth and all that stuff that'll keep people crouched in defensive position.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:47 am
perception is skewed again....unable to prove his point and responding snidely, as per usual.

Not contributing much to the quality of the debate seems to be becoming a tiresome habit, old boy.

Care to take a shot at changing the tone with some evidence to back up your contention?

Or would you rather just keep taking cheap (and inaccurate) shots?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:48 am
Perception, So the UN has no teeth, and US is all jaws ?? Are you saying that *might is right* ?

Great stuff, so tomorrow, India being most powerful in the subcontinent, decided to invade Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bhutan. No one should have any problem in that right ? And why stop at India. US should also invade China, France, Germany, Russia...hey let's go the whole hog. UN has no teeth, US is the only superpower (UK being the "mini me" of US).

Let anarchy rule.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:48 am
Gautam wrote:

perception, let us not go further than my own country. Maybe this will be a bit interesting to you ? Read and form yr own opinion abt the might of the Indian military forces.

http://armedforces.nic.in/

Gautam---I hate to tell you this but India is not longer part of the British Empire.

The indian army hides behind it's nuclear missiles and use two hundred year old tactics.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:51 am
Pdiddie

Nothing I wrote was addressed to you-----I suggest you just watch before you resort to your usual tactics of name calling.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:52 am
ROFL !! Perception !! I am so glad that India is not a part of the British Empire. Guess that was one of the best things to happen to my country.

Quote:
The indian army hides behind it's nuclear missiles and use two hundred year old tactics.

And what does the US hide behind ? "Mother of all bombs" ? Atleast we can hold our head high and claim that we never have been the agressor. And as far as tactics are concerned, the only tactic which works is the one which causes a victory. whether it is 200 yr old, or has been formulated after the 2000 US election (?), it does not matter.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:56 am
What name did I call you besides "old boy"?

Inaccurate? Offense taken? A term of endearment intended, I assure you.

Did we wake up on the wrong side of the futon this morning?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 09:58 am
Gautam wrote:

"Atleast we can hold our head high and claim that we never have been the agressor"

What do you call that little action two hundred years ago trying to prevent us from becoming independent from your peachy little kingdom.? If you recall Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown---perhaps you disowned him before he did that.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 10:00 am
perception, remember 200 yrs ago, it was yr new best friend, the british government, which prevented you from becoming independant. Not us Indians.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 10:00 am
Pdiddie

Congratulations-----you didn't explode out of control as you usually do.
0 Replies