The US, UN & Iraq II

perception

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:22 am
But Timbers stuff is on topic not propaganda about propaganda---this thread is about the Iraq war, the UN and the US efforts to fight the war. I am within my rights to seek a limitation on cut and paste garbage that is not relevant to this thread.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:23 am
News items like this really make me laugh

LEADER'S OPULENT LIFE

Which leader doesn't lead a opulent life ?? So much bias in the mdeia makes me sick !
0 Replies

timberlandko

Gelisgesti, that was a brief quote from an article available only on a paid subscription site, and not exactly "Opinion" . Several paragraphs of opinion and analysis followed that piece, but I figure in that, and many similar instances among my posts, the reporting is the point. Read the report, weigh its probity, and form your own commentary is my preference. No big deal.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

well he certainly dtirrerd thi;;n;g;;s; up again ddnt hhkek
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:25 am
Maybe you could start a thread on Parkinsons Disease instead of playing on the sympathy and good nature of a moderator.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:26 am
I responded to a request from blatham
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:34 am
I withdraw my request to respond ..... he is doing a better job than I could ever do.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:37 am
Focus, kids, FOCUS Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

And please mind the TOS and The Guidelines.

Thanks.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:38 am
perception wrote:
Maybe you could start a thread on Parkinsons Disease instead of playing on the sympathy and good nature of a moderator.

a pox on your house
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:42 am
Geli

It would certainly explain why the Americans were so confident that Iraq possessed WMD.

I think as time moves on people are beginning to understand with some clarity just what a farce the whole issue of bio-chemical weapons has been.

Saddam's WMD have been used as an excuse and a cover for the real reasons for embarking on this illegal war. I know hindsight is the clearest vision of all, but some of us have being saying that from the outset.

[Can't wait btw for pearls of wisdom from W about how to deal with Republican terrorism in Ireland. Pre-emptive strikes against Dublin? Cutting off their sources of funds across the globe from Boston to New York? That would be nice. Or economic sanctions perhaps against regimes that have turned a blind eye to monies channelled to Irish terrorism such as Libya Syria and the United States?]
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:42 am
A little empathy here would do nicely...
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:47 am
Empathy should be a two way street.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:52 am
Meanwhile, back at the ranch....Sharon allows settlers into Palestinian Jerusalem
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,2763,931141,00.html
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 07:58 am
perception, your plea for less expansive posts by cut-and-paste would have gone over better if you had not characterized the posts you wanted to free us from as "Norm Chomsky" stuff. What if I had pleaded a case for fewer pieces reminiscent of Attila the Hun? Or let's say I suggested we censor postings of Charlemagne-like thinking?

It does make sense to propose that posters patch in a few paragraphs of a story and then do a link to help those who want more. If you don't like the cut of the author's jib, then you can move on to the next post.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 08:00 am
perception wrote:
Empathy should be a two way street.

Yes indeed. Make allowances where appropriate.

An update: Official sources, referring to more comprehensive tests run on the suspect materials, indicate "Substantial basis for concern", and that "Several hundred gallons" of "Prohibited Agents" may be indicated. The more comprehensive tests, BTW, were made possible by German-Supplied equipment, though no mention was made of German Technicians, which appear not to have been involved. Documents recovered in the past few hours indicate further heretofore unidentified "Sites of interest". The wire services are making much of these developments.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 08:04 am
Blatham:

Sharon's timing is perfect, don't you think? This is bound to ignite things over there.

At a dinner party shortly after the "war" began, an Israeli professor at a university here in Washington, was adamant that the war was going to "make Israel safe from the Arabs." When my husband disagreed she nearly accused him of anti-Semitism. She couldn't however, because he is Jewish.

We went home with indigestion and took Alkaseltzer...with little relief.

This country must separate our policies from Israel's if we are to be "safe."
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 08:07 am
I just heard a leading UN envoy (forgotton name) say it would be preferable for Britian to take the lead political role in post war Iraq, because of Britian's diplomatic skills and experience. The Americans should concentrate on keeping the military situation under control.

The other good news I heard (besides Basra residents finally welcoming our troops) was that Paul Wolfowitz now acknowledges a significant UN role in Iraq will be necessary. In my view the significance of this can't be over stated - the likudniks have lost!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 08:09 am
Kara wrote:

<It does make sense to propose that posters patch in a few paragraphs of a story and then do a link to help those who want more. If you don't like the cut of the author's jib, then you can move on to the next post.>

Now ---why didn't I think of that?---Kara that's exactly what most people were doing until just recently. Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 08:15 am
How about this: Any firm or Nation not shown to have engaged in trade in violation of the UN sanctions on Iraq over the past dozen years should be allowed to compete for available contracts ... would that be satisfactory?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 08:17 am
Steve wrote:

The other good news I heard (besides Basra residents finally welcoming our troops) was that Paul Wolfowitz now acknowledges a significant UN role in Iraq will be necessary. In my view the significance of this can't be over stated - the likudniks have lost!

Taking charge of humanitarian aid is a significant role but the parasites in the UN are waiting for rental contracts on villas fit for their status and a fleet of white Range Rovers to arrive so they won't get sand in their hair.
0 Replies