The US, UN & Iraq II

the prince

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 08:53 am
Perception, is that supposed to make me feel sorry for Bush ?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 09:15 am
Gautam

Perception is correct to suggest that this action against Iraq was not originally Bush's idea.... from recall of Woodward's account, on Sept 12, Rumsfeld suggested "Why don't we get Iraq too?". Cheney initially spoke against the idea, "We'll look like the bad guys"...then within days, Cheney and Bush signed on.

The first written document by Wolfowitz, Feith, Perle and crowd (the Rumsfeld team, let's call it) arguing for attacking Iraq came out in 1992.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 09:17 am
Bush is the one who is the supreme commander of the US military, nonetheless.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 09:48 am
Or does plausible deniability run in the Bush family? Is Rove's script in which Bush is genial and a delegator (never really responsible) based on real life, or is it a fiction? I'm not at all convinced by the Bush-is-a-pawn theory.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 09:52 am
I have these visions of Bush Sr calling Bush Jr in his room and saying "Son, it is upto you to achieve what I could not. Remember the debts of father are paid by his son"..
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 09:53 am
"I'm not at all convinced by the Bush-is-a-pawn theory"
i'm not either and he certainly has set this scenerio so that if it falls apart he can easily point fingers elsewhere.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 09:57 am
Dys -- Agree. What I haven't figured out is Rumsfeld's role. He has seemingly made a mess but has not been "corrected" or removed. So what if the mess is intentional???
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 10:26 am
Kara wrote:

Ashcroft can only erode the rights of US citizens;

Tsk, Tsk, Kara----Blatham seems to have done a fairly good job in eroding the rights of US citizens---Re: his censorship of me last night.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 10:38 am
Gautam wrote:

Perception, is that supposed to make me feel sorry for Bush ?

Not at all---just correcting your earlier statement that Bush immediately targeted Iraq after 9/II.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 10:46 am
Kara wrote:

And you are right in that Bush is just a pawn, being moved by the strong players.

Many people hold this opinion ---- anyone who takes the time to read Woodwards book will come away with a different opinion.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 10:51 am
I found this link on a blog: www.agonist.org.

Link is: http://www.albawaba.com/news/index.php3?sid=246146&lang=e&dir=news

This is the first few paragraphs of the story:

Exclusive: Sources in Baghdad indicate Saddam alive, hidden, and in command
03-04-2003, 11:19

A number of reliable sources inside Baghdad report that two days before the start of the war Saddam disappeared into a hidden command center, in a location unknown even to his ministers. Since then, sources say that Saddam has not met in person with his top ministers, and has not talked to them directly by telephone. His instruction are delivered to them by messengers in writing or in video and audio cassettes. Saddam does not use the telephone or fax, which he believes can be intercepted or tracked by the Americans.

According to the sources, Saddam Hussein's second son, Qusai is believed to be the only person to know exactly where the Iraqi leader is staying.

Saddam's own appearances on television are all recordings that were made before the war started, and he has not made any new television appearances since he went into underground. Workers at the Iraqi Television spoke of a vault inside the Information Ministry with hundreds of recordings, each enscribed only with two letters and a number. It is said that Saddam decides which of the tapes to air on television by a short note indicating the code of the appropriate cassette. Three different taped recordings for when the Americans are about to enter Baghdad are already waiting at the television, they added, delivered on Tuesday this week.

Picking up clues from another man wanted dead by the Americans, Bin Ladin, Saddam has learned, according to experts, that Americans analyze the background and even the air clarity of the videos for clues to the location where it was taken, so he has pre-recorded his most important messages and instructions to the Iraqi people. He has also seen that they can identify where a phone call originated from by the background noise, and this has lead to his decision to avoid making live radio broadcasts to his people. Saddam assumes that if the Americans hear him broadcasting, a guided missile will be quick to arrive.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 10:53 am
perc, there was no censorship of you; objection was posed to the personal attack style of the post in question. Besides, blatham can censure you, which he did and rightly so. I CAN censor you, which I have not done. I too censured your comment. Just setting the facts straight here. I have no desire to offer a concrete example of "Censure" vs "Censor". I trust I will not be given, by any of this (or any other) thread's participants, reason to do so.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:16 am
Yeah I know Timber----I believed I had a valid point but it's now history and let's move on.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:19 am
Bush a prawn?

Insulting to crustaceans if you ask me.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:30 am
It's very interesting about the tunnel from the airport just captured----this tunnel may well lead to the bunker that Saddam is using---Saddam may not be sleeping very much---taking quick naps and waking at every noise.

You may see Saddam in handcuffs in a few days---he must be captured or displayed dead before we can complete the liberation of Iraq.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:44 am
Steve wrote:

Bush a prawn?

Insulting to crustaceans if you ask me.

I am puzzled at your insistence on hurling insults at this President
even though I don't recall anyone on this thread and particular me saying anything critical let alone insulting about your PM.

It would appear that you are deliberately attempting to provoke a similar response against you.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:56 am
perception,

As long as insults about leaders, which I find mostly pointless, are not taken personally it does not become an issue of reciprocal action.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 11:56 am
ok perc

lets not fight shell we?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:02 pm
Yesterday I read that Detroit awarded Saddam Hussein the key to the city, or some such.

Well today I learn that our own fair city of Birmingham has its own mosque dedicated to that same distinguished international benefactor viz

The President Saddam Hussein Mosque on Birchfield Street

and THERE IT WAS

Hope that's detailed enough for the USAF.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 4 Apr, 2003 12:06 pm
steve,

That link is stretching the page. To fix this just change:

www.a_looooooooooooooooooong_link.com to:

link text
0 Replies