The US, UN & Iraq II

perception

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:38 pm
Kara

I'm glad you're doing a rethink----I was merely trying to lighten things up a bit.

You were pretty tough on Tres as most of your compatriots have been----I think he makes a lot of good points and he is not nearly as confrontational as some here are.

Emotions tend to run near the boiling point on this issue for good reason and I must admit I now think we should pull our troops out and come back next year. I would probably over-react and pull our troops out of Korea also but in that case I would hold them on ships in the area until North Korea stopped their foolishness or attacked South Korea. It is obvious to me we have lost the initiative in Iraq and on any preemptive type of battle plan at this time.

Next time we should just attack with as much surprise as possible and to hell with world opinion or the UN.

I think we should admit that Saddam and the French have won for now-----Blix has assured some long term imployment at great cost to us but then he was hand picked by the French and Germans.

Unfortunately Bush is probably too proud to admit the loss of initiative and will plunge ahead against all advice.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:42 pm
Here's some interesting information. If people say it ain't for the oil, guess what? c.i.
http://www.forbes.com/2003/03/06/cx_ah_0305oil.html
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:45 pm
Yes Kara, be very, very careful! Smile
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:49 pm
U.S. Diplomat Resigns Over Iraq War Plans
Tue Mar 11, 2:16 PM ET Add Politics to My Yahoo!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A U.S. diplomat resigned from government service on Monday in protest of President Bush (news - web sites)'s preparations to attack Iraq (news - web sites), the second to do so in less than a month.
John H. Brown, who joined the U.S. diplomatic corps in 1981 and served in London, Prague, Krakow, Kiev, Belgrade and Moscow, said in a letter to Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) made available to the media: "I cannot in good conscience support President Bush's war plans against Iraq.

"Throughout the globe the United States is becoming associated with the unjustified use of force. The president's disregard for views in other nations, borne out by his neglect of public diplomacy, is giving birth to an anti-American century," the diplomat added.

Brown has recently been attached to the Institute for the Study of Diplomacy at Georgetown University in Washington. Immediately before that, he was cultural attache at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow.

must be another one of those fuzzy logic liberals Wink
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:52 pm
I hope he can cross train into another field----if not he will out of work for at least 2 years.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:53 pm
dyslexia, even Bush's father has said that to go to war is "fuzzy logic" - me thinks it belongs over there -------->
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:55 pm
dys, It's good to see some people live by principles,but they seem to be few and far between. c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 05:57 pm
Are you talking about Bush's father c.i. Question Rolling Eyes Cool :wink: Razz Razz Razz
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:01 pm
he musta been one of those dope smokin' poets Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:04 pm
BillW, John H. Brown.

Another casualty of this war. U.S. Airlines Say Iraq War Could Cost 70,000 Jobs U.S. airlines could slash 70,000 more jobs and annual losses would reach $10.7 billion if there is a war against Iraq, the biggest domestic carriers said on Tuesday.

Are we really sure this is the kind of security Americans want?

As the troops goes marching on......

c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:06 pm
Of course, economist can come up lots of stuff - but s'la vie! Til another day - looks like April 1st may be the new DDay! The day the earth stood still!
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:14 pm
Quote:
I hope he can cross train into another field----if not he will out of work for at least 2 years.

perception, Smile

Thanks for your good wishes for my safe journey, fellow posters. My major concern is not one of safety. It is that I may find the lock has been changed on the door when I return.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:25 pm
HoT

Re Khashoggi...you are correct. I just checked Sampson's book and it was the Sauds with whom he was dealing. Off to purchase new toe shoes.

ps...does anyone know whether or not Adnan's ex got the one billion divorce settlement she was asking for in California courts?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:25 pm
Holy mackeral...! Lock change on your door? c.i.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:38 pm
Yep c.i. The preamble may guarantee "domestic tranquillity," but the war has set the cat amongst the pigeons here, fer sure.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:47 pm
dys

Thanks for the information. This is now the second experienced US diplomat to resign in protest of this administration's violation of international agreements and evisceration of international relationships in its 'come hell or high water' push to war. Does anyone know of such occuring previously?

Kara

I'm not sure why folks might worry about violence breaking out in DC. Of course, if any does, it will be just a handful of individuals and of little relevance other than being the main aspect the news will carry.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:55 pm
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/story.jsp?story=386257
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 06:55 pm
Kara wrote:

Yep c.i. The preamble may guarantee "domestic tranquillity," but the war has set the cat amongst the pigeons here, fer sure.

Kara---you just took possession of Blatham's "laugh of the day award"
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 07:41 pm
Kara

Thanks for the Independent link. I sincerely hope that England backs away from this. What angers me deeply is contained in the last paragraph below...troops liable for war crimes charges when it ought to be the turkeys at the top.
Quote:
Mr Blair's difficulties may have been intensified by Kofi Annan's remarks at The Hague on Monday. Mr Annan said that if there was no UN authorisation for military action, "the legitimacy and support of any such action will be seriously impaired".

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We always act in accordance with international law." But officials took pains not to repeat their earlier view that UN resolution 1441 provided legal justification for war. Previously the British interpretation was that, while politically desirable, a second resolution was not necessary to legitimise military action. The new British silence about 1441 suggested that obtaining a second resolution might now be legally necessary.

Legal experts added to the doubts by saying British troops could be the first defendants to face war crimes charges if the government joined a war without UN backing. Even the accidental bombing of Iraqi civilian targets could trigger criminal prosecutions, senior lawyers warned last night.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 07:44 pm
blatham, Another case of the legal system going bazerk. c.i.
0 Replies