The US, UN & Iraq II

Ketamine

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:13 am
Yeah whatever...........
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 12:45 am
"Tartarin The Imperialist"... I like it. I'm reminded of "Bill Bennett The Humble", "Nixon The True-Hearted", and "Swaggert the Virtuous"
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 02:01 am
I wish I could see the peril that my leaders keep talking about.
0 Replies

Ketamine

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 03:24 am
Thought this may be of interest. Australian news. Please spare me the normal anally retentive replies like....I posted this 2 days ago...

'4000 bombers ready to die'

By staff writers and wires
March 31, 2003

IRAQ has issued a chilling warning to allied forces, claiming 4000 recently-arrived suicide attackers are ready to kill US, British and Australian troops.

In Baghdad, Iraqi Army spokesman General Hazem al-Rawi said the Arabs had volunteered to fight coalition troops.
"They left their countries and families to come here and seek heaven. They promised not to return to their countries but to be buried in Iraq," he said.
Australian Navy Commander Captain Peter Jones acknowledged small boats laden with explosives and piloted by Iraqi fanatics now posed a major threat to Australian warships in the Persian Gulf.
Captain Jones, commander of the task group which comprises HMAS Kanimbla, HMAS Anzac and HMAS Darwin, said the Navy was concerned about the threat of explosives-laden vessels emerging from the upper reaches of the Khawr Abd 'Allah waterway.
Earlier, the Iraqi regime said four US soldiers killed by a suicide bomber at the weekend were only the first of thousands to die that way, warning the terror would spread to coalition homelands.
"We will use any means to kill our enemy in our land and we will follow the enemy into its land. This is just the beginning," Vice-President Taha Yassin Ramadan said. "You'll hear more pleasant news later. “.

"You will not find any American, British or Australian soldiers desecrating our land."
The Pentagon insisted US troops would be able to manage the suicide bombing threat. "We're very concerned about it," said General Stan McChrystal. "It looks and feels like terrorism."
However, the Iraqi regime argues it is responding to coalition terror tactics, pointing to an incident on Friday night in which, for the second time, off-course bombs or missiles have caused multiple civilian deaths in Baghdad.
The US has not conceded that one of its bombs caused more than 50 deaths in the Shuallah marketplace, in a poor Shi'ite district, on Friday night.
As with Wednesday morning's incident, in which two missiles struck another Baghdad marketplace killing at least 14 people, US officials are investigating but have suggested the carnage might have been caused by Iraqi anti-aircraft missiles.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 04:49 am
Thanks for the link timber
Real Buck Rogers stuff
Think it would work on those kids that pull up beside you at a trafficlight with the stereo cranked to he max? ;o))
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 04:57 am
bush
blatham wrote:
"Tartarin The Imperialist"... I like it. I'm reminded of "Bill Bennett The Humble", "Nixon The True-Hearted", and "Swaggert the Virtuous"

blatham ...... you left out 'Bush the Moron'

Do you see a little Quayle in the Bush? Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 05:56 am
I am struck by the Alice factor: we are through the looking glass.

Perception proposes a kind of go with your gut philosophy, hit the high points and get on with it (sounds like the second cousin of the touchy-feely
hippie types of the 60's "Go with the vibe, man"
whereas:
me, the real hippie peacecreep commiepinko, wants the US to actually face reality in it's totality. (I had to think of a rhyming phrase so that my conservative brethren will be able to remember it.) Razz

Is it just me or does anyone else see the Queen of Hearts playing crouquet just over there.?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 06:03 am
Yes
Rumor Mill News Reading Room Forum

DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE

Posted By: HeraldAp
Date: Wednesday, 19 March 2003, 9:40 p.m.

Written by: Peter Freundlich of NPR

Food for thought... I'll take some mushroom tea, please...

All right, let me see if I understand the logic of this correctly. We are going to ignore the United Nations in order to make clear to Saddam Hussein that the United Nations cannot be ignored. We're going to wage war to preserve the UN's ability to avert war. The paramount principle is that the UN's word must be taken seriously, and if we have to subvert its word to guarantee that it is, then by gum, we will. Peace is too important not to take up arms to defend. Am I getting this right?

Further, if the only way to bring democracy to Iraq is to vitiate the democracy of the Security Council, then we are honor-bound to do that too, because democracy, as we define it, is too important to be stopped by a little thing like democracy as they define it.

Also, in dealing with a man who brooks no dissension at home, we cannot afford dissension among ourselves. We must speak with one voice against Saddam Hussein's failure to allow opposing voices to be heard. We are sending our gathered might to the Persian Gulf to make the point that might does not make right, as Saddam Hussein seems to think it does. And we are twisting the arms of the opposition until it agrees to let us oust a regime that twists the arms of the opposition. We cannot leave in power a dictator who ignores his own people. And if our people, and people elsewhere in the world, fail to understand that, then we have no choice but to ignore them.

Listen. Don't misunderstand. I think it is a good thing that the members of the Bush administration seem to have been reading Lewis Carroll. I only wish someone had pointed out that "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" are meditations on paradox and puzzle and illogic and on the strangeness of things, not templates for foreign policy. It is amusing for the Mad Hatter to say something like, `We must make war on him because he is a threat to peace,' but not amusing for someone who actually commands an army to say that. As a collector of laughable arguments, I'd be enjoying all this were it not for the fact that I know--we all know--that lives are going to be lost in what amounts to a freak, circular reasoning accident. --

Peter Freundlich / National Public Radio / 13.03.03
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 06:39 am
George Bush explains
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 06:52 am
According to my friend Seydlitz89 from Abuzz (former US Army Intel officer), William S. Lind is one of the best strategic theorists. I don't think Sey would mind if I post this here..."Three Possible Outcomes"....

http://www.d-n-i.net/fcs/lind_exit.htm
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:04 am
Quote:
me, the real hippie peacecreep commiepinko

LOL, Joe. Do you have any RHPC buttons available? Send a dozen by overnight, please...
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:09 am
Wilso, thanks... Laughing

VietNurse,

Excellent article. Scary. But the truth often is.
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:44 am
IRAQ WAR QUIZ:

http://truthout.org/docs_03/040103H.shtml
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 07:45 am
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:00 am
A big story here in Europe:
Quote:

Three British soldiers in Iraq have been ordered home after objecting to the conduct of the war. It is understood they have been sent home for protesting that the war is killing innocent civilians.
Three British soldiers sent home after protesting at civilian deaths
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:09 am
Gelisgesti wrote:

<found this ..... why would it be secret?>

Now this ----the last paragraph of an article about the E-bomb:

Evenually, Wood said, other nations may acquire high power microwave weapons; American forces, which depend so heavily on technology, would be particularly vulnerable to them. He predicted that soon all military electronics will have to be protected from high power microwaves by metal casings, with sophisticated circuit breakers connected to any incoming wires.

Now here is truly an analytical mind
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:26 am
Thanks perc .... you picked up on it too.

Why would something that is covered by the press in this great detail be considered a secret????

Makesyou wonder. Thanks againfor the compliment
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:29 am
Quite interesting, maybe even important re. sources:

Media Map of Iraq - A bird's-eye view of where journalists are
(Not the latest, and mostly just showing US-Americans, as far as I could follow.)

And if you want to watch Iraquian tv (if not bombed) via internet:

The Saddam Show
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:30 am
VNN

Your article by William S. Lind was interesting. Mr Lind has written many great articles---here is an excerpt from another of his articles which I find interesting. Just type in William S. Lind on Google for a full list of Mr Linds writings.

PC Marxist Roots Unearthed
by William S. Lind, Free Congress Foundation

Political Correctness is intellectual AIDS. Everything it touches it sickens and eventually kills. On America's college campuses it has diminished freedom of speech, warped curricula, politicized grading and replaced intellectual integrity with vapid sloganeering. In classroom after classroom, professors offer an ideological rant, which students are compelled to regurgitate to get a grade: the vomit returns to the dog. These places--and they are many--are no longer universities, but small, ivy-covered North Koreas.

For those interested in the truth..............
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2003 08:36 am
In the New Yorker, Seymour M. Hersh describes the battle between Donald Rumsfeld and the Pentagon:
Annals Of National Security: Offense and Defense
0 Replies