The US, UN & Iraq II

snood

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 10:44 am
diddie-
The article is enlightening, indeed. If this whole thing wasn't so depressing, it would be a great drama to read. I just read an article describing the Iraqi Generals' determination to confront US troops on every street, in every town. And they are doing end-arounds on our supply convoys, thus stranding large numbers of our forces in place.

Definitely more than was bargained for from the militia.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 10:48 am
A 200 mile supply lines over 3-4 thrusts is a mighty difficult task!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 12:19 pm
Dalyell said: "They have not just miscalculated, they have completely misunderstood the nature of Iraqi society and its institutions".
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 12:55 pm
Snood -- The possibility that Bush may remain in charge is really a probability, in my view. If I seem tetchy now and then, it's precisely because the MFWIC's (excellent meme) have the "political muscle" to be with us for 'way more than just an additional term.

There's a theory that this administration's final goal is not Iraq, not Osama, not gulping up the Gulf, nor any of its apparent imperialist ambitions, but rather the total political and financial control of this country first and foremost along with delegated corporate control of the rest of the world. Sound nutty? Maybe. But I'd rather assume the possibility and try to do something about it rather than wait for it to bite me in the butt.

There's one devastatingly successful tool used by the right wing in its treatment of opponents (from Nixon onwards) which needs to be turned and used against them, and that's ridicule. A debacle in Iraq could well give us that weapon. I don't think we should hesitate to use it. And if, in the meantime, I seem to be one of those cheering for Saddam, that's why.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 01:12 pm
Tartarin

Yes! As we both (all) know, a range of views and philosophies exists within the Republican party and conservtive minded folks, but also there is a pretty clear mindset, which Didion notes, amongst a crowd supporting this administration, that 'liberal' governance is inauthentic - fundamentally anti-American and destructive.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 01:28 pm
Tartarin wrote:

There's one devastatingly successful tool used by the right wing in its treatment of opponents (from Nixon onwards) which needs to be turned and used against them, and that's ridicule. A debacle in Iraq could well give us that weapon. I don't think we should hesitate to use it. And if, in the meantime, I seem to be one of those cheering for Saddam, that's why.

Tartarin (where is that name from?)-

I'm glad to hear some political calculating on behalf of the Dems - I don't think there has been enough of it, or enough of the heart necessary to implement it. I agree, it may be an unsavory tool, but if the Iraq thing ends up a total disaster, I believe it in the best interest of everyone if we smear it in the Repubs' faces at every turn.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 01:43 pm
Today, the Swiss FEDERAL DEPARTMENT OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS (DFA) [www.eda.admin.ch/] announced (source Swiss Sunday paper SonntagsBlick[/URL] ) that it will publish from tomorrow onwards a website with the number of civil deaths in Iraq.

Foreign Minister Micheline Calmy-Rey gave as reason for this the fact that Switzerland is the 'bailee state' for the Geneva convention.

It is not known, how and from where they will get the numbers.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 02:16 pm
Hi...I've been watching this thread for several days but could never find anything to say that had not already been said.

Mr Hinteler, could you elaborate on the mood in Europe or at least in Germany after the two weeks of war in Iraq.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 02:26 pm
Walter, The San Jose Mercury News has been pretty good about reporting *estimated casualties of this war. Today's numbers are as follows: US Military, killed 47, wounded 117; Other Allies, 23 killed, 6 wounded; Iraqi Military, 1,215 killed, N/A wounded; Civilians, 320 killed, 996 wounded. Total killed is now 1,605. I really think this is a low estimate, and fear the peopled killed in this war will be some number not anticipated by the most learned. c.i.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 02:29 pm
Realjohnboy

I will tell you of the mood in the Cock pub in Harlow Essex.

**** em
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 02:32 pm
Although I've been to England just a week ago, met there quite a couple of people, I just want to recall the last German polls:
- 15% of German adults have taken part in anti-war demonstrations,
- 35% of German youth did so,
- >80% are against the war.

Since 87% follow the news about the war permanently, we are rather wellinformed here.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 02:33 pm
Steve, who is that mood in the Cook pub directed at, uour side, the Iraqi's, or all in general?
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 02:46 pm
"BAY OF PIGS MEETS BLACK HAWK DOWN"....

http://www.consortiumnews.com

This is disturbing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 02:54 pm
Walter, There'a another interesting poll in today's San Jose Mercury News. It shows how the people of Silicon Valley (SV) differs with the Nation on the following questions: 1. Do you approve or disapprove of the way George W Bush is handling his job as president? SV: Approve 40.2%, Disapprove 48%, Don't know 8.3%, Refused 3.5%; NATIONAL: Approve 68%, Disapprove 26%, Don't know 6%. 2. Do you approve or disapprove of the way GWBush is handling the situation with Iraq? SV: Approve 44.9%, Disapprove 44.9%, Don't know 7.2%, Refused 2.9%; NATIONAL: Approve 70%, Disapprove 27%, Don't know 3%. 3. Regardless of how you feel about supporting American troops in battle, do you support or oppose the US government's decision to go to war with Iraq? SV: Support 47.7%, Oppose 43.9%, Don't know 6.2%, Refused 2.2%. NATIONAL: Support 73%, Oppose 24%, no opinion 3%. 4. Do you think the US should strike Iraqi military targest even if they're located in areas where civilians might be killed, or should the US avoid striking military targets located in civilian areas? SV: Strike anywhere necessary 32.9%, Avoid civilian areas 45.5%, Neither 2.1%, Depends on circumstances 9.5%, Don't know 6.7%, Refused 3.3%. NATIONAL: Strike 49%, Avoid 42%, No opinion 9%. c.i.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 03:40 pm
vietnurse,

It sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I see no good coming out of this - either bush "wins", and America loses, or bush loses, and America loses.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 03:42 pm
The way Bush plays all games!
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 03:43 pm
Snood, I agree, and sadly.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 03:47 pm
Vietnamnurse signature

Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?"

Author Unknown

Do you or anyone on this forum have a proven method for dealing with people who love to kill and torture fellow human beings other than the method currently underway? I for one would certainly appreciate hearing it because being an ex-military man and never wanting to put myself or others in harms way, it would certainly save lives now and in the future. I guarantee you will make millions of $dollars plus you will have the gratitude of the world.

I'm waiting to hear your plan.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 03:54 pm
Blatham wrote:

Yes! As we both (all) know, a range of views and philosophies exists within the Republican party and conservtive minded folks, but also there is a pretty clear mindset, which Didion notes, amongst a crowd supporting this administration, that 'liberal' governance is inauthentic - fundamentally anti-American and destructive.

Hi Bernie
I think you have finally "Got It"-----This may be the first time I have actually agreed with something you've said---keep up the good work.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 04:15 pm
For the satisfaction of all who really want this administration and current campaign to fail---let me say this---If the next ten (10)days are as productive as the past 10 days in Iraq the war will be over from within.

Remember, 10 days from today Sun Mar 30, 2003 it will be over and Saddam and his two sons will be on display or cut to ribbons by the Iraqi people.

Suicide bombers will occasionally become Martyrs and take a few innocent people with them but the Iraqi people will be free. Have a nice day and you can remind me of what I said.
0 Replies