The US, UN & Iraq II

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 01:50 pm
Quote:
U.S. military officials in the Gulf say they have limited cruise missile flights over Saudi Arabia after that country complained that some of the missiles had landed on its territory. But a top U.S. general says the move will not affect the U.S. led coalition's operations.

U.S. Air Force Major General Gene Renuart, the coalition's director of operations, admits several U.S. Tomahawk cruise missiles fired towards Iraq have gone astray. "In the case of Saudi Arabia, we did have a number of T-LAM [Tomahawk] missiles that were reported down in their territory," he said.

US Limits Cruise Missile Flights Over Saudi Arabia

Hmmmm!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 01:59 pm
war is a confederacy of dunces
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 02:46 pm
War has no monopoly on incompetence, dyslexia. Examples of incompetence in the practice of war tend to be rather more spectacular, thus gaining wider attention, than in say, banking or lawn care.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 02:48 pm
I don't know if bankers or landscapers would agree, Timber!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 02:57 pm
If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
Gen George S. Patton
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 03:23 pm
a nation of

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/D1/C0/EulessBasic/8/a5.jpg
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 03:48 pm
Those concerned with America's present Foreign Policy (or lack thereof) might be interested is this comment.

http://boards.pbs.org/servlet/BoardServePage?action=7&expand=1&boardid=1240219001&pg=1&sessionlanguage=EN&msgid=16201

You might have to check a disclaimer agreement but by entering as a guest you need not register.
This is from Bill Moyer's NOW website and discusses the Bush's Administration attitude towards anyone that may even remotely disagree with their policies.

JM
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 03:50 pm
It would appear Downtown Baghdad has just been overflown at low altitude by significant numbers of cruise missiles and/or fixed wing aircraft, evidently targeted on the city's outskirts. This has gone on for several nights now. That is no doubt a subtle reminder, during this "lull", to Saddam's thugs from General Franks that they are not being neglected. This too, by some analysts' conclusions, is among the reasons there may have been a shakeup in Baghdad's Air Defense Command. It is rumored, though unsubstantiated, that despite official orders to the contrary, a hot-shot Carrier Jock or two may have made low-level supersonic passes over the heart of the city ... something which would generate an impressive sonic boom, capable of glass and light structural damge by itself. To find this indeed true would be unsurprising to say the least.

Surprising developments are to be expected regarding both The Northern and Western areas over the next 36 to 48 hours. US Heavy Airlift Capability is being well demonstrated. I would not be surprised to begin to start noticing more media attention paid to the A-10 attack plane. Kirkuk likely will be "In the news" somewhat sooner. Indications from the Southern area are that considerable Battlefield Preparation is being conducted and that aggressive Force Protection measures are being taken. Mountains of supply are building behind the more forward positions, and particular limited contiguous areas are being "cleared" of resistance. Units are being shuffled around, and equipment is receiving maintainence " ... whether the ***in' thing needs it or not, damnit". I 've been told, privately but reliably and graphicly, that a Toyota 4x4 with an 82mm mortar bolted into its bed is no match for a 25mm Bushmaster chaingun on an LAV. There is no doubt in my mind a Combined Arms Offensive of historic proportion is being choreographed. Considering the apparent aim of the attack, and the forces known to be available, I would calculate that at the very least that attack is yet 96 hours off. To me, at least, it appears The Plan has exhibited the flexibility advertised, and done so in the face of sudden and surprising difficulties, both diplomatic and operational.

Something else to watch: There is some question about the ability of The Army, in particular, to place troops in the field as rapidly as might have been wished and likely had been promised.. Much of the delay appears to have been in the area of Reserve Callups.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 03:56 pm
Iraqi civilians feed hungry US marines
37 minutes ago Add Top Stories - AFP to My Yahoo!

CENTRAL IRAQ (AFP) - Iraqi civilians fleeing heavy fighting have stunned and delighted hungry US marines in central Iraq (news - web sites) by giving them food, as guerrilla attacks continue to disrupt coalition supply lines to the rear.
Sergeant Kenneth Wilson said Arabic-speaking US troops made contact with two busloads of Iraqis fleeing south along Route Seven towards Rafit, one of the first friendly meetings with local people for the marines around here.
"They had slaughtered lambs and chickens and boiled eggs and potatoes for their journey out of the frontlines," Wilson said.
At one camp, the buses stopped and women passed out food to the troops, who have had to ration their army-issue packets of ready-to-eat meals due to disruptions to supply lines by fierce fighting further south.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:01 pm
Timber, regarding the Reuters article which states:

"Baghdad Commander Fired Over Missile Errors -UK
Sat March 29, 2003 02:03 PM ET
LONDON (Reuters) - Britain said on Saturday the commander of air defense forces in Baghdad had been replaced after Iraqi surface-to-air missiles, aimed at Western warplanes, had missed and fallen back on the Iraqi capital. ... "

Quite interesting though I'm a little skeptical about the method of personnel change. Its more likely the Baghdad Commander was fired upon to help effect the leadership change.

JM
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:15 pm
JamesMorrison, I agree that the word "fired" in context with employment within the Iraqi Military almost certainly requires the addition of "Upon" or some similar qualifier.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:32 pm
Such pleasant informative debate today - thanks to everyone!!!!!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:39 pm
I'm sure that vignette has validity, dyslexia. Gotta say, though, I've been getting a lot of e-mail (none from my son yet, but I understand why) the last 18 hours or so. There does not appear to have been any "Supply Crisis". While there have been firefights, major engagements have been rare. Its a warzone, but much of it is essentially trouble free. The attitude of the Iraqi civilians toward US troops seems best characterized as fearful, mistrustful, and uncertain, but not particularly hostile, and shows signs of warming. Again, I admit these conclusions are drawn from a limited range of sources, which of course drives the perspective. Sorta like a reporter who finds himself embedded with a well-forward unit, probably Armored Recon, many hours into enthusiastically exploiting opportunities presented by ongoing mission developments on an active battlefield miles from the nearest point of supply. I'm not as impressed as that reporter at the conditions about which he is so excited. But then, I don't suppose he'd ever seen combat before. It's not real likely he had much familiarity with hunger, either. I recall instances of experiencing both simultaneously, and I recall bitching about it heartily. The situation always improved in short order. I note too the reporter's account gave no cause to suspect ammunition or fuel were in notably short supply. One in the military may expect, from time to time, to be required to work while hungry or otherwise uncomfortable or inconvenienced in peacetime, fer chrissakes. Its in the job description.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:53 pm
Just another quick thought ... a combat-experienced commander taking his unit on a forward mission into hostile territory generally figures a way to augment his authorized allotment of certain materiel. Food and water are naturals for "Creative Quartermastering".

Hmphhh!!!. <grumble, kick dirt>

Mutter: FNG better remember that next time.
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 05:01 pm
Timber ,

I hear you. Bitching and complaining are a soldier's hobbies, it helps pass the time. However, it can ALWAYS get worse.

JM
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 05:07 pm
I'm wondering if the supply "problem" isn't relative. That at the moment the supply lines are sufficiently functional to sustain the troops in place but not secure, or robust enough to allow them to advance which generally requires a lot more expenditure of material.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 05:23 pm
I recall an annecdote brilliantly illustrative of a soldier's love of bitching ...

A general inspecting troops pause and asked a smartly turned out senior NCO what he thought of the food. The Sergeant replied, "It's great, sir, whenever you can get it."
Concerned, the general exclaimed, "You're not getting enough food?"
"Not at all, sir. There's more than enough of it, such as it is."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 05:35 pm
As I recall during my peactime service, and working in the Strategic Air Command where we had regular red alerts, and working 24 hour days, we'd go to the messhall in the middle of the night for some bacon and eggs. They sure tasted good! I wonder why those kinds of memory stays with us for so long? c.i.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 05:37 pm
They were the best years of our lives -- and we didn't even notice.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 05:45 pm
JamesM

Thank you very kindly for the Molly Ivens piece. Brilliant.

Might I return the favor with Doonesbury for today...on the subject of embeddedness... http://www.doonesbury.com/strip/dailydose/
0 Replies