Any Brits out there?

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 03:01 pm
I was once employed by a gentleman who was a native of Grenoble. He met his American wife in France, and he emmigrated. We were walking out of his office once, and we were "totoy"-ing one another, speaking to one another in the second person singular, familiar tense. A young French woman who was walking by inquired why an employer would allow his employee to "totoie" him . . .

My employer replied, without batting an eye:

"Nous sommes, tous les deux, des anciens soldats."
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 10:30 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
It was used to identify Brits who arrived there after deportation..... apparently.
In modern day usage by Australians, it means "One who is better than us at Rugby and Cricket".

Dream on, Lordelpusnsaveus!
One match, by one point, and scarcely a win since in rugby - talk about a one horse team.

Cricket - you haven't beaten us in yonks - and guess what - here come the Aussies, to do it all again! Assembled any sort of resistance - or will the Poms crumble under a lot of hot air, as usual!? Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 02:00 am
Fightin' words. I've got a picture of Monash that the puddy will have the Lord down in 3 rounds*!!

*failing that, if there are two flies crawling down a window I'm putting it on the left one.......
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 06:03 am
margo wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:
It was used to identify Brits who arrived there after deportation..... apparently.
In modern day usage by Australians, it means "One who is better than us at Rugby and Cricket".

Dream on, Lordelpusnsaveus!
One match, by one point, and scarcely a win since in rugby - talk about a one horse team.

Cricket - you haven't beaten us in yonks - and guess what - here come the Aussies, to do it all again! Assembled any sort of resistance - or will the Poms crumble under a lot of hot air, as usual!? Twisted Evil

I bet your lot are already having sleepless nights.....dreaming of facing not only the finest Cricketers in the world, but also the dreaded Barmy Army.
Will you be fielding Bret Lee the chucker this time? Or with his style, has he moved on to Baseball, where he belongs?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:53 pm
nice one my lord

are you any relation perchance to lord cricket ground?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:14 pm
Sleepless nights! Pah! Aussies sleep the sound sleep of the just!

Brett Lee - couldn't get a game here over the summer - but who knows - perhaps against some inferior opposition.....
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 11 May, 2005 01:57 am
Looks like he wont be playing then....unless we field the Ladies XI, and even then it's a bit doubtful.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 13 May, 2005 11:28 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Looks like he wont be playing then....unless we field the Ladies XI, and even then it's a bit doubtful.

Ladies XI! We'll send Shane Warne, he's got a real smooth-talking way with the sheilas!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 14 May, 2005 04:57 pm
English Ladies XI - got clobbered well and truly by Oz sheilas team just recently!

and you're surely welcome to Shane Warne, in any manner - such an unattractive fellow! Although he does make Mr Stillwater look magnificent! Smile
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 16 May, 2005 07:41 am
Oz Sheilas XI......oh yes....they were accused of ball tampering, weren't they?

That's why the Umpire was walking funny and gave all the LBW decisions in their favour, I understand.
0 Replies