My First Prescription Glasses

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 05:30 pm
I should have gotten the built-in sunglasses, I guess, but didn't. Anyway, I was already wearing good sunglasses before this all started. Anyone who has experienced the Texas summer sun will know how bright it gets here.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 08:43 pm
I've learned that the sun shines around simple glasses. I have a goggle style of sunglasses that effectively shades all the glare. For me, that is better than glasses that change with the variant illumination.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:23 pm
edgar,

I am really glad to hear that you are taking care of your vision. As someone who has worn glasses and later contacts, since the age of two, I am constantly aware of my own good visual health. Without lenses I am legally blind, but corrected I can see 20/20 and 20/30 out of my right and left eyes respectively! My last check up (I only see an ophthalmologist) showed my eyes to be healthy as can be and I was very, very happy!

I once argued vehemently with an old employer when he was deciding to choose either dental or vision care to add to his employees benefits package. I told him that if I lost all my teeth, I could at least get dentures, but what would happen if I lost all of my sight? What then?
He chose the cheaper option. Dental coverage.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:28 pm
I would personally stay away from trifocals. I always get transition lens because it eliminates the need for external shades you manually put on. Also important; if you're getting plastic lenses, always wipe them with cotton - never kleenex.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:32 pm
Thanks for the tip about cotton. I still use the pads and cloth they issued with the glasses, but they will soon run out.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:37 pm
I thrived on my trifocals, for about eight years... until my eyes went to hell and back. The trifecs were very effective, if tacky looking... and really worked well for close drawing, talkng to a colleague, and distance... for someone like me, with wide range needs. †he key is to work things out for the particular person.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:38 pm
Right, ossobuco
My good friend at work loves his trifocals.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:46 pm
Even now, with less need for prescription nuancing at the lower need lens, it really helps me to have the three lenses.

Albeit, I am the odd ball here, the three part glasses work the best for some of us.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 04:50 am
I will revisit this thread in the near future. Glasses are so new to me still that I absently remove them, just as I always did my reading glasses. It is a whole nother world.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 08:30 am
edgar, You're lucky. I've worn glasses since I was a child. My vision with glasses is pretty good though, even at my age. Wink
0 Replies