My First Prescription Glasses

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 03:28 pm
Friday I took my first eye test for glasses ever. It was concluded I need bifocals. I opted for the progressive lenses. One thing puzzles me; perhaps you can help. The optician told me the air pressure reading was too high and they would try it again when I pick up the glasses in two weeks. What did she mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,005 • Replies: 29
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 03:37 pm
eye pressure, edgar. They watch intraocular pressure for indications of glaucoma. I had slightly elevated pressure for a while, which they watched and then put me on a simple regime of eyedrops to keep it lower than 20. Then when I had my eye surgeries, all hell broke loose in that one eye, and I now maintain the low pressure by more drops. Anyway, it's quite controllable - but one does need to control it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 03:42 pm
Thanks. I had no idea.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 03:46 pm
I'm also on the drops to control eye pressure.

Through my elementary school years I had a succession of teachers at school and neighbors on the block who assured me, "You read too much you'll ruin your eyes."

Cataracts...possibility of retinal detachment...now the drops....

....but the teachers and neighbors were wrong-wrong-wrong. We're our parents's genetic children in an increasingly polluted atmosphere on the forefront of modern medicine.

I hate drops--but I'm getting good at administering them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 03:59 pm
I take four different drops at different times of day (for a while it was 4 times a day) - you tell the bottles apart with the colored caps. With these, things are back to normal-ish. But my eye extravaganza last year was a little unusual and shouldn't worry Edgar.

I do wonder, though, about folks who don't get their eyes checked as they age, as I assume people wouldn't if they see fine. Glaucoma is pretty silent, re symptoms.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 04:01 pm
Ophthalmologists routinely check for high intraocular pressure levels. In some cases, it can be a passing thing. In others, it is a sign of glaucoma. That is why it is so important to have regular eye checkups, so that if there is a problem of a number of high readings, it can be treated, before there is damage to the eye.

http://www.ahaf.org/glaucoma/about/glfaq.htm
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 04:06 pm
My pressure readings are always high and always have been. Apparently, the high number is my normal.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 04:18 pm
For what it's worth, edgar, I currently have bifocals. This is the first and last pair I will ever own.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 04:22 pm
I tried my wife's bifocals and was pleased. But, the proof is in the wearing, I suppose. My job dictates that I see well both inside and outside. I don't see how I could go for anything else. Anyway, my working buddy has trifocals and doesn't complain. It must be the individual in each case.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 04:33 pm
I love my biofocals!

I didn't get the invisible line kind because you have to look only through the middle - they don't grind the side part of the lens - and my peripherial vision is crap.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 04:42 pm
Hmm, Boomer, loss of peripheral vision is one symptom of glaucoma, and some other things. Did your ophthamologist check your optic nerve? Not to scare you, but you should have it done at least once.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 04:46 pm
edgarblythe- I have Varilux (progressive) for my regular glasses, and bifocals for my sun glasses. The progressives take a bit of getting used to, but once you do, they are wonderful.

My only problem was the computer. I found that I was tilting my head in a very uncomfortable manner when I was reading on the computer. I had a pair of single lens glasses made, that was in between the strength of the near and far prescription.

I had some problems with my eyes a couple of years ago, and I have become astigmatic. That's why I need the special glasses. Before that, I would buy a cheapie pair of reading glasses in the drugstore, (whose power was 1/2 of the reading glass power) for the computer, and they did just fine!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 04:49 pm
I've used "drug store" glasses for twelve years. Recently, none of them have done an adequate job. I have to see good for some of the finer work I do.
Progressive is the kind I selected. The line design seemed a bit awkward.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 04:52 pm
Osso, I had a field test just a few months ago.

I have terrible vision, partly genetic, partly do to a serious eye injury back when I was a little kid. I have my eyes checked every year and do a field test every other year.

Additionally, my mom worked for an optometrist forever and ever so every time I would visit her I would get an extra exam in.

I make a living looking at things so I take my vision very seriously!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 04:54 pm
Secretly, I was worried the optomitrist would find something really bad in my eyes. So far, it is not alarming, at least.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 05:28 pm
Yes, visual fields pick up reduced peripheral vision, but given reduced peripheral vision and high intraocular pressure readings, however 'normal', they should still look at the nerve if they haven't. I don't know if optometrists do that. Someone with messed up eyes like me should only go to an ophthamologist (m.d.)

Not to natter at you, Boomer, or really even to seem to be giving advice. Maybe they have done it all along. It involves pupil dilation.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 10:55 pm
Well, I've been wearing the new glasses about six hours now. I think it will be all right. The one who examined my eyes referred me to a doctor to see about the high pressure, which I will do in about two weeks.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 11:32 pm
Edgar, is there any history of glaucoma in your family anywhere? I know on my mother's side, all her siblings have it. Fortunately, they are still able to treat it with the drops.

Here, where I get my eyes checked, I'm always given 2 tests for glaucoma. The 1st one is the one where they shoot some air at your eye. The 2nd one is where drops are put in your eye to enlarge your pupils. A visual check is then done to get a better view within the eyes. I hate that one because the light then hurts my eyes for several hours afterwards.

To be on the safe side, take a good pair of sunglasses with you if you have the 2nd test done.

I've been wearing glasses since I was about 10. So, I've had all the ins and outs. Personally, I found progressive lens very difficult for me to get used to. I wear bifocals. Took me a while to get used to them, but now am fine.

Phoenix32890 wrote:
My only problem was the computer. I found that I was tilting my head in a very uncomfortable manner when I was reading on the computer. I had a pair of single lens glasses made, that was in between the strength of the near and far prescription.

I also do this. Otherwise, being at the computer for any length of time would be a virtual pain in the neck! Laughing Edgar, this is something to take into account and have a second pair made up just for the computer.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 07:56 am
At the Pearle Vision store they gave me the air pressure test and also dilated my eyes. The attending person does not have medical credentials beyond the simple tests, apparently, so she referred me to the doctor. They provided free disposable sunglasses, but I wore the goggle type that I usually wear instead.
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Thu 5 May, 2005 10:11 am
Hi edgar,
Why don't you consider having your prescription made into sunglasses also? I was warned by my opthalmologist that I might worsen the chances for macular degeneration as I aged, unless I protect my vision from the suns rays.
I have worn bi-focals several years and adjusted to them finally.... whee

Now, I have very good quality DARK sunglasses in my bi-focal prescription. I was VERY happy when the dr told me last trip, I could wait an extra 6 months to come in again, since my eyes were 'better' not worse.

I do take multiple antioxidants and lutein in supplements, I think that helps too-- (recommended by my opthalmologist).
0 Replies