Who Knew Domestic Violence Could be So Funny?

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 08:46 pm
Quote:
Domestic violence bill to be revived

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/11447768.htm

And from the report I gather that physical cruelty is NOT currently grounds for divorce in South Carolina?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,669 • Replies: 48
No top replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:49 pm
With this and the 5 year old girl in Florida being dealt with by police - I have to ask - what the heck is going on? A first world country?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 11:47 am
They say it's better to be second 'cause you try harder. Looks like we've taken that first world country thing for granted.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 11:55 am
Good to see lawmakers anywhere takin' a more proactive stance against cockfightin'.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:52 pm
Everyone knows that the man is to be master in his own home. Besides, everyone knows that the woman asks for it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:59 pm
That's the spirit, Noddy. Forget your dominion. Give it over, babycakes.

Boy, those southern boys are hilarious with their "Pop her" comments, aren't they? Makes it real clear that they thinks this is serious stuff.

At least they are putting a stop to the cockfighting. Forget the ladies, protect the cocks.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:04 pm
Unbelievable!!

Women in SC should become lipstick lesbians (new word I learned) and let the boys rot in hell.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:10 pm
You women seem to be overly sensitive, as Judiciary Committee chairman Jim Harrison said.

Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 03:26 pm
A woman I knew finally got out of the house. Her husband had no trouble learning she was in a protective shelter for battered women. He barged in and succeeded in breaking her arm before he was brought under control. Real funny, folks.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 05:42 pm
My comments are coloured by my experiences I suppose. Some things stay with you even after many years. Like when you are called to the local hospital and shown a deceased woman who is bruised on every single part of her body - wounds inflicted by her husband. Makes it very difficult to be see the lighter side of domestic violence as apparently these legislators are able.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 12:59 am
edgarblythe wrote:
A woman I knew finally got out of the house. Her husband had no trouble learning she was in a protective shelter for battered women. He barged in and succeeded in breaking her arm before he was brought under control. Real funny, folks.

Let this be a lesson for all abused women.

First stop: Gun Store.
Second stop: Shelter.

Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 06:34 am
These women are more often than not incapable of firing the gun.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 07:36 am
edgarblythe wrote:

Very perceptive. But we need to be careful to avoid stereotypes. Here in my jurisdiction many years ago we had a case of a woman who pleaded "battered woman syndrome" ( I know it's contentious, if you want to discuss it please start another thread) when she put an axe through her abusive (extremely abusive) husband's head as he slept (I have to add it was after another brutal drunken assault and there was corroboration). She was convicted by the jury of murder but on appeal she was acquitted. Some fight back. Some don't. Some can. Some can't.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:19 am
edgarblythe wrote:

Finger on trigger.
Squeeze.

Yes, they've been psychologically abused and to some degree brain-washed. However they've got to face the truth that if they want to get out of their situation they might just have to do some difficult things to achieve it.

I would love for the world to somehow step in and save them from the consequences of their actions, but I know it's not likely to.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:21 am
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Finger on trigger.
Squeeze.

Yes, they've been psychologically abused and to some degree brain-washed. However they've got to face the truth that if they want to get out of their situation they might just have to do some difficult things to achieve it.

I would love for the world to somehow step in and save them from the consequences of their actions, but I know it's not likely to.

Not that easy. Even soldiers have to be trained to kill.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:22 am
Battered women are usually so far removed from normal life that they either resort to killing to get away (themselves or the batterer) or they just hole up and take it because they don't remember being worth more than a punching bag.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:22 am
With attitudes like that of the SC legislators it isn't likely they will feel impowered any time soon. I love the sunshine, but the South can really suck with it's bassackwards thinking in areas such as this.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:29 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Battered women are usually so far removed from normal life that they either resort to killing to get away (themselves or the batterer) or they just hole up and take it because they don't remember being worth more than a punching bag.

Yes. Exactly right.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 10:25 am
The SC legislators are pure scum-bags. Evil or Very Mad

Had my abuser held at gunpoint once. Safety off. All I needed to do was pull the trigger. And trust me, I wanted to. Gawwwd how I wanted to. I was shaking so hard, holding that gun, that even with my right hand outstretched and the palm of my left hand, steadying the right - I was still shaking. Not sure how good of a shot I would have been - and will never know. Why didn't I do it? I have asked myself that many times. I reckon I was a coward.

Now.... I am at least somewhat better equiped. I have a CHL for the state of Ohio. (Concealed Hangun License) For that, I was required to take a 12 hour training course, with 2 hours on a firing range. The course I took was actually more hours than that, and well worth it. I try to target practice on a regular basis, usually with my Dad. Hoping to keep the feel of the gun in my hand - along with my aim....at least somewhat organized.

Would I shoot him if I had to? If it's going to be either him or me - yes, I would. And my gut tells me that someday, I will probably find out.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 10:47 am
Perhaps this is not the right place for this, but the last few posts have lead me to post it. I consider that for whatever bragging and strutting men do, women are by far the more courageous, and the poorer the nation or neighborhood, the greater the courage required of them. For whatever individual differences may exist, the smallest woman is considerably weaker than the smallest man, and the largest woman not a match for the largest man. Every woman, every day, must live her life calmly, and attempt to enjoy and benefit from it, in societies which by and large take a casual attitude toward violence, violence of which the weaker members, so often meaning women, are the customary targets. I cannot stress enough the sense i have of what women face each time they go out the door, and how commonly they deal well with it.
0 Replies