STUPID AIRPORT SECURITY

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 03:01 pm
Since 9/11, the War on Terror has included tightened security on the domestic front just about everywhere. Any who have attended a large convention or symposium, a rock concert, a pro ballgame, or other kinds of large gatherings have likely encountered at least some scrutiny for security reasons. Certainly all of us who fly commercial know the airport routine right down to removing our shoes and other assorted articles of clothing. Is it enough? Too much? What should we write our elected representatives to look at in this regard?

On a light, but still serious, note, one of my favorite economists discusses some of the true absurdities at the airport. I'm sure others can think of more.

STUPID AIRPORT SECURITY

For most of my professional life, I've traveled frequently -- sometimes boarding a commercial flight two, three or four times a month for lucrative speaking engagements. Over the past three years, the frequency has fallen to an average of once or twice a year. The reason is simple. I don't want to be arrested or detained for questioning some of the senseless airport security procedures. Don't get me wrong. I'm for security but against stupidity. Let's look at some of it starting off with a hypothetical question.

You're a detective. A woman reports a rape. How would you go about finding the perpetrator? Would you confine your search to males or would you include females as well?

You say, "Williams, that would be stupid to include females!" But not if Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta were your supervisor. You might be ordered to investigate females and males as possible suspects to avoid committing the politically incorrect sin of sex profiling.

With regard to airport security, Mineta said, "While the security procedures are not based on the race, ethnicity, religion or gender of passengers, we also want to assure that in practice, the system does not disproportionately select members of any particular minority group." That means Americans who fit no terrorist profile -- mothers with children, blind and disabled people, elderly couples -- are frisked, groped and hassled. What's even more stupid is that pilots and flight attendants face similar screening. Here's my question to you: If a pilot is intent on crashing a plane into a building, does he need to carry anything on board to do it?

On several occasions, having gone through screening without setting off any alarms, I've been pulled aside for additional screening. Imagine that you're there with a Transportation Security Administration (TSA) supervisor and I'm being subjected to additional screening. You offer him a bet whereby if Williams is discovered to be in possession of something that endangers security -- a knife, gun or bomb -- you'll pay him $5,000, and if I'm not, he'll pay you $100. Do you think he'll take your offer? I'm betting he wouldn't.

What about the TSA confiscation of "dangerous" personal items such as tweezers, hat pins, sewing scissors, knitting needles, etc.? I hope I'm not giving the TSA ideas, but I've watched a number of television shows featuring supermax prisons like California's Pelican Bay. Among the items prisoners fashion into lethal weapons are ballpoint pens, belts, eyeglass temples, glass containers and toothbrushes, all of which the TSA permits on airplanes. So what's the TSA's reasoning for allowing ballpoint pens on planes but not tweezers?

Most hijackings and recent terrorist acts have been committed by young Muslim extremists. That's not to say that all or nearly all Muslims pose a threat to security. But if one is looking for potential terrorists, the larger proportion of resources should be spent screening Muslim passengers. Screening the blind and disabled, mothers and children, and senior citizens is not going to have much of a payoff unless the goal is not to have tweezers or a G.I. Joe doll holding a rifle on the plane.

If I were a terrorist, I'd appreciate the fact that the TSA treats every passenger as having an equal likelihood of being a security threat. Fewer resources would be available to screen me. When law-abiding people are the subject of profiling, it's unfair, and they are insulted -- and rightfully so. The true source of the injustice they face are those responsible for making "Muslim" near synonymous with "terrorism."

Even if I don't fly commercial anymore, I care about the TSA's waste of resources. There are potential terrorist targets in many areas such as ports, railroads and infrastructure, but roughly 90 percent of TSA's funding is spent on airports operating under the assumption that every passenger and every bag have an equal likelihood of being a security threat. That's stupid.
--Walter Williams
http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/articles/05/security.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,669 • Replies: 262
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 08:56 pm
The purpose of the TSA is to provide government jobs. It does nothing to improve the safety of Americans.

A recent report has shown that airport security is no better today that it was pre-911. Another recent report has shown that private companies providing airport security do a much better job than the TSA.

As an aside, I will state that IMO the "new" airport security is designed to make people feel better not to provide better security.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:03 pm
It would make me feel better if they profiled the most likely perps, and not the little old ladies or the severly retarded like they do now. Maybe they feel safer doing their jobs if they pick on people like themselves. "Look, this person is retarded, like me".
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 09:54 pm
Quote:

If I were a terrorist, I'd appreciate the fact that the TSA treats every passenger as having an equal likelihood of being a security threat.

Pure hogwash!

If you were a terrorist, you would appreciate the fact that you know what type of passenger the TSA treats as a security treat. All you would have to do is make sure you don't fit the profile and you ar home free.

The worse nightmare for terrorists is when everyone is treated as a threat. The task is much more difficult if there are no cracks to sneak through.

Incidently law enforcement has been through this already with drug traffickers. Drugs are not brought across the border by swarthy Columbian 20-somethings. They are smuggled by women with children, grandmothers and white college coeds. It took law enforcement some time to realize how easy it is for a determined, prepared and organized foe to use profiling to their advantage.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:22 pm
The real issue here, of course, is the psychology of middle America.

It's Us vs. Them... the most primative of reactions to a threat. If I can find a easily identifiable "them" that I can fear, hate and blame for my problems... somehow it make me feel better.

Middle America wants the quick fix... identify the "them" that (although as individuals had nothing to do with the attack) somehow should bear the responsibility.

It is somehow now OK to "inconvenience" people perceived as "Muslims" (and profiling won't even get this right)-- but horrors! if they inconvenience the middle average white American... even in the name of security.

After Oklahoma City, security was put into all Federal Buildings. Funny thing... although the terrorists were white American Christians, the extra security applied to all Americans. Ethiopians were stopped and screened as closely as white Christians. I didn't hear a single African-American, Asian American, Latino or Slav complain that the incovenience of entering shouldn't effect them.

I wish the author and his like-minded prigs would stop whining and accept the fact that if security is worth the inconvenience of Americans... it is worth the inconvenience of all Americans. It is far to easy for some to sacrafice the rights of others.

Half-hearted security methods whose only effect is to make middle Americans feel good about themselves are not just ineffective, they appeal to the basest part of human nature.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:27 pm
So, once again the Bostonite is somehow better than the "middle american" to make these calls.

Yeah, right.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:37 pm
I know they don't profile. I was taken out of the line at San Francisco recently (was heading for O'Hare and then Pearson). I've been recorded on the system since 1984, been in and out of the States on many occasions, my occupation is in my passport and recorded on the system and still I got pulled. I am a blue-eyed Caucasian (I used to have fair hair). I definitely don't fit what you would think was the profile. So what? I could have converted to Islam since 1984, I could have got caught up with Muslim radicals (my employer wouldn't know) and I could have volunteered for the 72 virgins trip. Profiling doesn't make sense. Security will never be good enough to stop a really determined and intelligent terrorist effort but I felt better about flying in the States because of it and it wasn't a huge inconvenience.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:40 pm
Actually glad to hear that. From my experience the security at small midwestern regional airports is at tight as it gets, while SFO seems pretty darn lax.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:42 pm
Sorry cjhsa, I am not sure I was clear.

I include myself in the category of "middle American".

I am white and I am in my late 30's. I am from a protestant background, I am educated, I dress respectively am in my late 30's and have a respectable appearence.

I think I am one of the people that the writer of this article thinks shouldn't be treated as if I have "an equal likelihood of being a security threat".

My point is that as a middle American, I want real, whole-hearted security even though that includes me. That's all.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:44 pm
Well, however politically incorrect it may be, with exception of the OKC bombing, how many terrorist attacks have been committed against the USA by Asians? Europeans? Africans? Black people? Native Americans? Nuns? Little old ladies in wheel chairs? School children?

To the best of my knowledge, every single attack has been committed by Muslims who have all been middle eastern looking guys.

It seems from a purely practical standpoint it would only make sense to give those guys some extra scrutiny and just do normal routine once overs and scans of everybody else. I do know that would inconvenience the huge majority of Middle Easterners who are not terrorists, but those would also be better protected with such a policy. If a terrorist gets through security undetected, the innocent Middle Easterners on that flight will be just as dead as everybody else.

And why do they forbid tweezers and allow ballpoint pens? Okay everybody stand back! I have tweezers!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:47 pm
Hmmm, and what about Rudolph and McVeigh - just to name two recent American terrorists.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:49 pm
Did you read the whole post Littlek? I did mention OKC. I didn't mention Rudolph or the Unibomber or other anomalies we find in the American population but those people also were not targeting airlines or other transportation sources for mischief. Hopefully if they had, we would have caught it through normal scanning processes.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:52 pm
What about dorky looking white Brits like Richard Reid? Very Happy
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:53 pm
The issue is irrelevant.

Foxy, the point is that you want to tell everyone (including the terrorists) who is going to be thoroughly screened, and who is going to be glanced over.

Even assuming that you can guarantee that no non-Muslims are going to commit acts of terror (this is a doubtful), how you are going to keep terrorists from simply getting fake identities... or finding converts or other allies ... to walk through the hole you are opening up.

You are not only opening up a large hole in our defenses, you are making it obvious to everyone.

It is just pure foolishness.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:54 pm
You can't really make exceptions in this argument..... Just because people like McVeigh and Rudolph and the person who sent the anthrax letters haven't used airplanes for their acts of terrorism doesn't mean no non-arab will. It just means the pack of men of arabic decent got there first. Maybe they're just smarter than american terrorists.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 11:01 pm
I'm considering your arguments guys and am not dismissing any of them out of hand. You could be right. On the other hand, only giving a cursory once over to the more likely people to be terrorists also seems like a bad idea while at the same time those of us who are of groups who have never been terrorists resent practically being strip searched every time we fly.

Here's a quick list of the terrorist attacks leading up to 9/11. I have no way of knowing if it is or almost is complete. But considering who committed all of these, it does give some cause to think a degree of profiling could be appropriate.

*1979 Iranian revolutionaries seized The 52 American hostages were held 444 days

* April 1983: A car bomb at the U.S. killing 63.

* October 23, 1983: The bombing of U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut, Lebanon, kills 241

* December '83: U.S. embassy in Kuwait bombed, killing 6.

* January '84: Malcolm Kerr, president of the American University of Beirut, assassinated.

* April '84: Hezbollah attacks the environs of a U.S. airbase in Spain, killing 18 servicemen.

*1984 September 20 A bombing at the U.S. Embassy annex in Beirut, Lebanon, kills 16 and injures the ambassador.

* December '84: Two Americans murdered on a hijacked plane in Tehran.

* June '85: U.S. seaman killed on a hijacked plane in Beirut.

* October 1985 Four Palestinian terrorists hijack the Achille Lauro carrying more than 400 passengers and crew, and kill disabled American tourist Leon Klinghoffer.

*1988 December 21 The bombing of Pan Am 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland, kills 270, mostly Americans.

* 1993 February 26, Terrorist bombers strike the World Trade Center, killing six people and injuring more than 1,000 others.

* 1995 November 13, A bomb at U.S. military headquarters in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, kills five U.S. service personnel.

* 1996 June: A bomb at U.S. barracks in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia, kills 19 Americans and injures 500 people.

* 1998 August 7 U.S. embassy Nairobi, Kenya * 1998 August 7 U.S. embassy Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, kill 224 people and wound

* October 12, 2000: A suicide bomber attack on the USS Cole in Yemen's Aden harbor kills 17 American sailors and wounds 39 others.

* 2001 Sept 11 World Trade Center struck by two hijacked commercial planes killing 3,000

* 2001 Sept 11 Pentagon struck by hijacked commercial plane killing 189
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 11:10 pm
And I'm not sure how we go about protecting ourselves from the authentic American nuts bent on committing mayhem. But so far as I know, there is no organized group of those out there who are committed and on record as intending to destroy us.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 11:12 pm
A lot of this is vengance.

If you are having trouble punishing the terrorists, punishing the Muslims who are around you is almost as good. It's us versus them and lumping the Muslims with terrorists gives us someone to hate.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 11:14 pm
And Foxfyre,

Not only is Oklahoma City missing from your list, numerous murders and firebomb attacks on abortion clinics are suspiciously missing.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 11:18 pm
The list includes attacks on Americans and/or American installations by organized foreign terrorist groups and not American nutcases ebrown. Let's please focus on airport security for now.
0 Replies