Democrats hard at work for America

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 06:56 am
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Democrats in the House are blocking the ethics committee from organizing so they can protect several fellow party members from ethics investigations, Speaker Dennis Hastert said Wednesday.

"We know there are four or five cases out there dealing with top-level Democrats," Hastert told the conservative Sean Hannity radio program.

"There's a reason that they don't want to go to the ethics process and as long as they can keep someone dangling out there like they have with Tom DeLay, they take great glee in that," the Illinois Republican said.

His comment came the same day Democrats rejected a compromise offer from the Republican chairman of the House ethics committee that would have opened an investigation into ethics charges against Majority Leader Tom DeLay of Texas in return for the Democrats agreeing to formally organize the committee. (Related story)

Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, a California representative, said Thursday the offer from Rep. Doc Hastings of Washington was a "sham" because Republicans had already "gutted the rules" of the ethics panel.

"The fact is that no matter whatever Mr. DeLay's problems are, they are almost minor compared to the abuse of power of the Republicans in terms of the ethics process that is a bigger issue than Mr. DeLay," Pelosi said at a news conference.

"It is about the integrity of the House, of upholding a high ethical standard."

Committee deadlock

The committee is deadlocked over Republican-written changes to rules for investigating lawmakers passed in January without Democratic support.

Democrats claim the revisions were aimed at preventing an investigation from determining whether DeLay has violated House rules.

After the 10-member committee admonished DeLay three times in 2004 and talk of a possible probe by the committee grew, Republican leadership in the House changed a central rule.

The committee can now launch an investigation only if a majority of members support the idea.

Since the panel is evenly divided between the parties, at least one Republican member would have to agree to investigate DeLay.

In response to the changes, Democratic members have refused to let the committee meet.

Democratic targets?

Three sources close to House GOP leaders said the Democrats being targeted include Pelosi, of California, Rep. Jim McDermott of Washington, Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones of Ohio and Rep. Paul Kanjorski of Pennsylvania.

Pelosi was fined by the Federal Election Commission in November 2002 for improperly operating two political action committees.

The commission told Pelosi, then minority whip, to close one of her two PACs, called TEAM Majority, saying she was skirting federal fund-raising limits by operating two PACs.

The commission imposed a $21,000 fine on Pelosi, who continued to run her other fund-raising committee, known as PAC To the Future.

"At each step, we did everything they told us to do," Pelosi spokeswoman Jennifer Crider said. "If Republicans are arguing that anyone who receives an FEC fine can be hit with an ethics charge, well, I'd have to check but I think there are 12 or 13 of their members have received FEC fines in the past Congress."
Eavesdropping incident

McDermott has been the subject of a long-running court case triggered by a 1998 eavesdropping incident involving Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio.

McDermott's chief of staff, Jan Shinpoch, said the congressman was unfazed by the Republicans' threats and wants the committee to organize under the old rules.

"If McDermott feared the ethics committee, he would favor the Republican rules, not the old bipartisan, Democratic rules," Shinpoch said. "Those [Republican]rules that protect DeLay also protect McDermott."

The Washington Times reported House documents show a 2001 trip Tubbs Jones took to Puerto Rico was improperly paid for by lobbyists. A spokeswomen for Tubbs Jones denied the charge and blamed the documentation on "human error."

A House Democratic leadership aide rejected Hastert's charge that the Democrats are protecting their own as "completely absurd."

"The reason Democrats have an issue with the ethics committee is the way Republicans abused power to create the [ethics] rules we're dealing with now," the aide said.

Controversial ties

Republicans say charges against Kanjorski date to 1998, when the 11-term congressman helped two Pennsylvania-based companies owned and run by his four nephews and daughter by earmarking more than $9 million in federal contracts and grants for the two firms.

Kanjorski insisted he has not profited personally from those deals. The companies, Cornerstone Technologies and Pennsylvania Micronics, research water-jet technology.

Kanjorski's controversial ties to the companies nearly resulted in House GOP leaders filing ethics charges against him in 2002.

Hastert quashed the effort when Democrats threatened to file ethics charges of their own against Republicans. At the time, the speaker's move preserved a cease-fire between the two parties on ethics charges.

"It's completely absurd," one House Democratic leadership aide said of Hastert's effort to shift the ethics spotlight onto Democrats. "You don't think that if they had something [on House Democrats] they'd have filed it already?"

Also Thursday, the ethics committee canceled a 4 p.m. meeting Hastings had hoped to use to formalize his compromise offer.

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,064 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:07 am
McG hard at work, stirring the turd . . .
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:21 am
Setanta wrote:
McG hard at work, stirring the turd . . .

I saw Setanta had replied and I thought to my self "Good, I'll be interested to see what an intelligent, well-spoken liberal might have to say in rebuttal to the story I posted."

Instead, I just get the same, tired, worn-out, lame crap that Setanta has been spewing lately. I guess I should have known better. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 07:49 am
You know, you've used that specious response time and again over the years, but i never tire of your phoney self-righteousness, it's always a hoot.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:49 am
BEAUFITFUL!!!

The democrats are up to their old tricks of DO AS I SAY...NOT AS I DO.
0 Replies

coachryan

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 12:11 pm
woiyo wrote:
BEAUFITFUL!!!

BEAUTIFUL!!!

The republicans are up to their old trick of NEVER MIND WHAT I DID, LOOK AT THESE OTHER TERRIBLE PEOPLE!

Yes, Yes, Tom DeLay isn't quite as bad as Osama Bin Laden, or even Saddam.

Guess what?

What he did was still wrong, accept responsibility accept the consequences and move on.

Christ, like a bunch of children...
0 Replies

coachryan

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 12:21 pm
You know I see this all the time in my pre-school classes. I see one kid shoving in line. I take them aside and tell them that shoving is not ok! Then they start to whine about how someone else cut in front of them, and how it's not their fault, and that I'm just picking on them because I hate them and on and freaking on, and I just sit there calmly wait for them to finish then explain to them that those circumstances do not excuse their behavior, and that when the time cones I will deal with the behavior of the other students, but right now they need to accept responsibility for their actions, and have to sit on the "time out square"and I will talk to them again after their time is up.

I expect this of my pre-schoolers, not of the House Majority Leader.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 12:23 pm
coachryan wrote:
woiyo wrote:
BEAUFITFUL!!!

BEAUTIFUL!!!

The republicans are up to their old trick of NEVER MIND WHAT I DID, LOOK AT THESE OTHER TERRIBLE PEOPLE!

Yes, Yes, Tom DeLay isn't quite as bad as Osama Bin Laden, or even Saddam.

Guess what?

What he did was still wrong, accept responsibility accept the consequences and move on.

Christ, like a bunch of children...

They are trying to, but the Democrats aren't allowing it. Did you read the article above?

Quote:
His comment came the same day Democrats rejected a compromise offer from the Republican chairman of the House ethics committee that would have opened an investigation into ethics charges against Majority Leader Tom DeLay of Texas in return for the Democrats agreeing to formally organize the committee.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 12:26 pm
Re: Democrats hard at work for America
McGentrix wrote:
"We know there are four or five cases out there dealing with top-level Democrats," Hastert told the conservative Sean Hannity radio program.

oh well, if hastert told hannity, it must be true.

hannity is a vast right wing gasbag and about 90% of the reason i'm so offended by fox.

i virtually guarantee that at some point, especially if there's a 3rd consecutive neo-con administration, that ol' sean will run for some political office.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 12:29 pm
You should do as I do and not watch Fox news. I believe 3/4's of his ratings come from liberals watching him so they can be angry at Fox.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 01:25 pm
Along with Delay and McDermitt and Pelosi and whatever other ethics violations they can dig up, the following story is also slowly beginning to re-emerge. Makes you wonder how many balls they all can keep in the air at one time doesn't it?

An IRS Cover-Up?
Senators Dorgan and Kerry try to block a report on Clinton-era abuses.

Friday, April 22, 2005 12:01 a.m. EDT
Perhaps you remember Henry Cisneros. He's the former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development who pleaded guilty in 1999 to lying to FBI investigators during his pre-appointment background check about hush payments to a former mistress, on which it also happens he hadn't paid the requisite taxes.

Well, the special counsel report investigating all this still hasn't been made public, thanks largely to procedural roadblocks by Mr. Cisneros's attorneys. And now, all of a sudden, a rash of news stories and editorials are urging Independent Counsel David Barrett to wrap up his investigation forthwith, without releasing his findings.

Then there's the amendment that North Dakota Senator Byron Dorgan and co-sponsors John Kerry and Richard Durbin are trying to attach to the latest supplemental war appropriations bill that would de-fund Mr. Barrett immediately. This would have the practical effect of making sure that Mr. Barrett's report never sees the light of day. After 10 long years and $21 million, don't they think taxpayers deserve to see what the special counsel has learned? \

We should add that any blame for this delay lies mainly with Mr. Cisneros's lawyers at Williams and Connolly, who have filed more than 190 motions and appeals; one single appeal took some 18 months to deal with. The 400-plus page Barrett report has been largely done since last August, and awaits only a requisite period for review and response by those named in its pages. The only thing threatening a hold-up past June are further defense motions seeking still more delay.

So what don't Democrats want everyone to know? We're told that early on the Barrett probe moved away from Mr. Cisneros and his mistress and focused on an attempted cover-up by the Clinton Administration, especially involving the IRS.

Back in the early '90s Mr. Cisneros was considered the rising savior of the Democratic Party in Texas. "So there were people who wanted to save his political future," a source tells us. To that end, when the IRS began investigating him for tax fraud an extraordinary thing happened: The investigation was taken from the IRS district office that would always handle such an audit and moved to Washington, where it was killed.

"Never in the history of the IRS has a case been pulled out of the regional office and taken directly to Washington," our source continues. This information was originally provided to Mr. Barrett, some years into his investigation, by a whistleblower in the IRS regional office with 30 years of experience.

Using his subpoena power, Mr. Barrett also found that the IRS would not have been able to kill the case on its own. It had to have cooperation from the Justice Department, particularly the Public Integrity and Tax divisions. We're told Mr. Barrett beat back several attempts by Justice to squelch or otherwise limit his investigation, and that a lot of important names from the Clinton era appear in the report. One key figure is likely to be former Clinton Administration IRS Commissioner Peggy Richardson, a prominent Texas Democrat, and a friend of both Mr. Cisneros and Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton.

With Mrs. Clinton likely to run for President in 2008, all of this obviously bears on the character of her potential Administration. (Bill Clinton pardoned Mr. Cisneros in 2001.) But just as important is the rare look the report may provide of how the IRS can be manipulated for political ends. This is the first time the IRS has been investigated with grand jury subpoena power, and it is likely to be revealing.

Abuse of the taxing power is about as serious as corruption can get in our democracy, and it should be of bipartisan concern. In the 1990s, conservative critics of the Clinton Administration such as the Heritage Foundation had to endure suspicious audits. And of course the Nixon Tapes reveal that the former Republican President ordered tax investigations of Democratic opponents and donors. These columns recently raised doubts about an IRS probe of the tax status of the NAACP.

Yet now three highly partisan Democrats want to de-fund this probe and prevent publication of the report. "There is no other way to characterize this but as obstruction of justice," a source tells us, noting that Congress has never before tried to step on an Independent Counsel investigation like this. Surely given the ethical history of the Clinton years, the public deserves to see the report and judge for itself whether the IRS and Justice Department were misused for political purposes.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/editorial/feature.html?id=110006594
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 01:54 pm
OK, wait. So lemme get this straight.

DeLay gets under fire from the Ethics committee.

So the Reps change the rules of the committee.

Quote:
After the 10-member committee admonished DeLay three times in 2004 and talk of a possible probe by the committee grew, Republican leadership in the House changed a central rule.

The committee can now launch an investigation only if a majority of members support the idea.

Now this new rule basically means that the majority party can block ANY ethics investigation against any of its own members. Unbelievable, but true: that's what they want.

The Dems, instead of letting this happen, decide to prevent the committee from meeting at all. As long as this scandalous rule is in place to govern the work of the Ethics committee, it will not work at all.

Good show, I say.

But the Reps know when to sacrifice someone. DeLay has become an electoral liability. So now they're willing to feed DeLay to the investigation after all - if the Dems are willing to swallow the new rule - you know, that rule that the Reps can neatly use to block any new investigation against any of them from now on.

No way.

But not just that; if the Dems refuse this splendid offer, the word is put out through the usual propaganda channels that it must be because they are afraid of ethical investigations!

Ehm ... isn't the whole point here that the Dems are trying to lower the bar for starting an investigation back again?

But never mind that - personal insinuations work so much better with the Fox/McG crowd ... they lap it up.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 02:10 pm
Nimh writes
Quote:
But never mind that - personal insinuations work so much better with the Fox/McG crowd ... they lap it up.

Well being the fair minded and objective person that you are Nimh, could you point out where the "Fox/McG" crowd have a) commented on the ethics rules and b) what personal insinuations you believe are pertinent or, more importantly, irrelevent to this discussion?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 02:21 pm
It's a shame that nimh understands what is happening better than most Americans!

As for the Cisneros case, there have been complaints filed recently regarding the outrageous funds being eaten up by it and nothing to show for it. Will have to find the article I read a month or so again, but it isn't a "Dems are shutting it down" thing. There are many opposed to its continued funding. Will find a link.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 02:36 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/special/cisneros/keystories.htm
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 02:50 pm
I must be missing something there Squinney. It shows events in the timeline as late as September 1999 but the piece itself is copyrighted 1998. Probably a peculiarity I'm unaware of though.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 03:18 pm
This was the one I was referring to.

Quote:
Cost of Cisneros Probe Nears $21 Million Over 10 Years
Investigator of Former Housing Secretary Spent $1.26 Million for Last Half of '04, GAO Audit Reports

By Jonathan Weisman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, April 1, 2005; Page A02

Nearly a decade after he was appointed to investigate then-Housing Secretary Henry G. Cisneros, independent counsel David M. Barrett spent more than $1.26 million of federal money in the last six months of fiscal 2004, the Government Accountability Office reported yesterday.

Since its inception, the Cisneros investigation has cost nearly $21 million, a total rivaling some of the largest independent counsel investigations in history. Much of the money has gone for pay and benefits, travel, rent and contractors.

Barrett was appointed in May 1995 to investigate allegations that Cisneros lied to the FBI about money he paid to a former mistress. Cisneros pleaded guilty in September 1999 and paid a $10,000 fine and a $25 court assessment. He was later pardoned by President Bill Clinton. By then, Barrett had spent $10.3 million on his investigation, and Congress had allowed the independent counsel law to lapse.

But Barrett stayed in business to investigate whether anyone in the Clinton administration had attempted to obstruct justice during the probe. In July 2001, the three-judge panel gave Barrett permission to continue, but Judge Richard D. Cudahy questioned the expense.

"Whether a cost-benefit analysis at this point would support Mr. Barrett's effort is a question to which I have no answer," Cudahy wrote, noting that Barrett had been spending about $1 million every six months.

The routine audit, conducted every six months, shined a fresh light on a controversy that dominated the latter years of the Clinton administration. During the Clinton years, seven separate independent counsels were empaneled, costing tens of millions of dollars.

Most are out of business, although the investigation once led by Kenneth W. Starr lingers on. According to the GAO, Julie F. Thomas, the third independent counsel to lead the Starr probe, spent $137,700 from April to September 2004, mainly archiving material from the sprawling inquiry into the Whitewater land deal, firings at the White House travel office, Vince Foster's suicide and the Monica S. Lewinsky affair.

Barrett's expenditures are continuing at a pace that surprised even the GAO auditors.

"There can't be a more graphic example of just burning money," said Phil Schiliro, chief of staff of Rep. Henry A. Waxman (Calif.), the ranking Democrat on the House Government Reform Committee. "It's indefensible."

Barrett said in an interview yesterday that he could not comment because of a judicial order that has barred him from speaking publicly until he completes his investigation and releases a final report. A source close to the investigation said the 400-page report was finished in August and should be released soon.

In the final six months of fiscal 2003, Barrett spent $839,085. In the first half of 2004, he spent $871,204, and in the most recent six-month span, he was at $1.26 million, a level he had not reached since early 2001.

"There is a trend, and it's not a decline," said Hodge Herry, assistant director of financial management and assurance at the GAO, the investigative arm of Congress.

In contrast, the GAO reported, Special Counsel Patrick J. Fitzgerald, who is conducting an investigation of the leak of an intelligence officer's name, spent $584,899, less than half of Barrett's expenditures. In all of fiscal 2004, Fitzgerald spent $611,491. Barrett spent $2.13 million.

"They're, quote-unquote, writing the final report," Herry said. "That's what we were told."

Last year, Waxman asked the GAO for a month-by-month breakdown of Barrett's $1.77 million of expenditures for fiscal 2003, and demanded that the Justice Department shut down the investigation.

Still, the spending pace has not slackened.

"If this doesn't prove [the independent counsel's] worthlessness as a governmental entity, I don't know what does," said Joseph DiGenova, a Republican lawyer and former independent counsel, who noted that Cisneros has recently taken small steps back into politics.

In March 2003, Barrett's judicial overseers ordered him to close shop and prepare his final report. Herry said Barrett's office told the GAO the current expenditures are associated with the preparation of that report.

But total expenses in the last half of 2004 were not much less than the $1.58 million spent in the final months of 1999, when Cisneros was in court. In the six months ending Sept. 30, 2004, Barrett's office spent $452,888 on pay and benefits, $51,102 on travel, $262,743 on rent and bills, $346,829 on contractors and other experts in areas related to the investigation, and $142,610 on administrative services.

Total waste of money, IMO. He had already plead guilty and paid a fine.

However, what Delay is up to is much worse than a blow job, paying an ex-mistress, or lying about sex.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 03:40 pm
None of which this investigation is investigating of course. Obstruction of justice is not a blow job. We won't know whether it was a waste of money until we see the report. And apparently, if they shut it down now there won't be any report. I think for $21 million, we should have a report.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 06:58 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Well being the fair minded and objective person that you are Nimh, could you point out where the "Fox/McG" crowd have a) commented on the ethics rules and b) what personal insinuations you believe are pertinent or, more importantly, irrelevent to this discussion?

You mean what personal insinuations you think are relevant to this discussion? Well, apparently these ones:

Foxfyre wrote:
Along with Delay and McDermitt and Pelosi and whatever other ethics violations they can dig up

Never mind that not a single member of the Ethics committee, Republicans included, raised any question about McDermott ... when confronted with a discussion about why Democrats are preventing the Committee from meeting again as long as the new rules are in force, you prefer to start posting about various alleged misdemeanours of Democrats.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 08:59 pm
Really? I wasn't aware Delay was a Democrat. He switched parties sometime in the last 24 hours? I named the names that are being kicked around on various threads today, this week. And in your eagerness to take a swipe at me, you completely missed the point I was attempting to make. But oh well.
0 Replies