Man Spits Tobacco Juice on Jane Fonda

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:04 pm
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - A man spit tobacco juice into the face of Jane Fonda after waiting in line to have her sign her new memoir. Capt. Rich Lockhart of the Kansas City Police Department said Michael A. Smith, 54, was arrested Tuesday night on a municipal charge of disorderly conduct.

He was released on bond and is due to appear in court on May 27.

Fonda covers a wide range of topics in "My Life So Far," including her 1972 visit to Hanoi to protest the Vietnam War, during which she was photographed on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun. She has apologized for the photo, but not for opposing the war.

Smith, a Vietnam veteran, told The Kansas City Star Wednesday that Fonda was a "traitor" and that her protests against the Vietnam War were unforgivable. He said he doesn't chew tobacco but did so Tuesday solely to spit juice on the actress.

"I consider it a debt of honor," he told The Star for a story on its Web site. "She spit in our faces for 37 years. It was absolutely worth it. There are a lot of veterans who would love to do what I did."

Fonda, who flew to Minneapolis Wednesday for another appearance on her book tour, issued a statement through Jynne Martin of Random House.

"In spite of the incident, my experience in Kansas City was wonderful and I thank all the warm and supportive people, including so many veterans, who came to welcome me last night," she said.

Fonda drew a crowd of about 900 at Unity Temple, said Vivian Jennings, whose Rainy Day Books of suburban Fairway, Kan., sponsored the event.

Jennings said the 67-year-old actress never got up from her seat and continued autographing books after the tobacco juice was wiped off.

"The important thing is that she was so calm and so gracious about it," Jennings said. "She was wonderful."

-She must be getting used to getting spit on by veterans...

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,904 • Replies: 43
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:06 pm
Not veterans but perhaps redneck ass holes.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:11 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

You don't like the spit, but pies and salad dressing are ok? I guess it is payback for the spitting onthe vets received when they returned home from Vietnam. People like Fonda didn't discourge it and indeed fostered it when they pose for pictures with the enemy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:14 pm
The man's an SOB.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:17 pm
Baldimo wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

You don't like the spit, but pies and salad dressing are ok? I guess it is payback for the spitting onthe vets received when they returned home from Vietnam. People like Fonda didn't discourge it and indeed fostered it when they pose for pictures with the enemy.

I knew that woulc come up right away. Naturally since I don't approve of someone spitting on Jane Fonda I do approve of people spitting on veterans. Get real Buddy.
And that's not what this thread is about. It's about the dickhead who spit on Jane Fonda and you neo cons approval of it. You guys can dish it out but you can't take it. Back to the playground Sonny if you're going to use childish reasoning.

Post edited for the sensitive types in the group who are offended when they are on what they perceive as the receiving end of a hateful statement while at the same time delighting in someone they don't like being on the receiving end of a hurtful action. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:20 pm
I didn't say I approved of it, I asked if throwing pies and salad dressing at people was ok but spitting wasn't? In no way did I show approval of what happened. You shouldn't read into things, we all know what happens when you assume.

You should see my postings on the pie throwing that has happened to Conservatives at Universities. I didn't approve of that and I don't approve of this.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:32 pm
I was trying to figure out why the guy was arrested, and then realized that there's a chance he might have been here as well - as there was a bodily fluid involved. He shoulda stuck to pies.

<mulling a bit more>

No. Still don't really get the arrest. If everyone who spit on/at someone on the subway (let alone on the streets or in the malls) here was arrested, I'd never get to work in the morning due to travel delays. The crazies are out there spitting every day. You just work around it, and move on.

I still like pie-throwing better - has a nicely established protest history.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:35 pm
I agree he should have been arrested as spitting on someone is rather disgusting.

I also agree that in the guys head, she deserved it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:39 pm
When "in the guy's head" comes into play as a defense, we're usually talking insanity pleas.

And getting arrested for doing something disgusting - nahhhhhhhhh. I think so many things people do are disgusting - there'd be no one left in the city except me and a dozen or so of my friends.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 08:40 pm
Would have much preferred he told her what he thought of her.

It immediately negates any point anyone may have had when they spit on someone.

It is completely unsupportable, IMO.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 12:33 am
It's just a pity the idiot didn't think of spitting acid on her.....
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 12:50 am
I got an email about Jane Fonda's trip to Hanoi and her meeting with some of the POWs. This story claimed that the guys had hidden slips of paper in their hands with their soc sec #'s on them, to let their families know they were alive, the plan being to palm them to Jane as she shook hands with them. Supposedly, she palmed all the papers, then turned and handed them to the officer in charge of the POWs, getting them all beaten, etc. Has anyone else heard of this? wouldn't this have been reported a lot if it happened? I'm naive on the subject and have never believed that she deserved all the hatred. But if she did that... yikes. it would be hard to make any excuse for her... so what do you all think? I don't want to hear a bunch of spouting off about her traitorousness, I just wonder if anyone could tell me if there's any truth to that story.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 01:01 am
dora17 wrote:
I got an email about Jane Fonda's trip to Hanoi and her meeting with some of the POWs. This story claimed that the guys had hidden slips of paper in their hands with their soc sec #'s on them, to let their families know they were alive, the plan being to palm them to Jane as she shook hands with them. Supposedly, she palmed all the papers, then turned and handed them to the officer in charge of the POWs, getting them all beaten, etc. Has anyone else heard of this? wouldn't this have been reported a lot if it happened? I'm naive on the subject and have never believed that she deserved all the hatred. But if she did that... yikes. it would be hard to make any excuse for her... so what do you all think? I don't want to hear a bunch of spouting off about her traitorousness, I just wonder if anyone could tell me if there's any truth to that story.

No truth at all. It's been debunked numerous times.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 01:10 am
Thanks for replying, goodfielder. it sounded pretty ridiculous (Jane was really that good at sleight-of-hand?) but i just have never understood the degree of hatred against her, so i thought perhaps there was some big terrible deed i'd never heard of.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 02:27 am
dora17 wrote:

this is the first time i've ever heard this... and if it was going around at the time, true or not, i'm sure my pop would have been yelling about it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 02:36 am
Debunked on Snopes.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 04:33 am
McGentrix wrote:
I agree he should have been arrested as spitting on someone is rather disgusting.

I also agree that in the guys head, she deserved it.

In my head, every woman on Earth deserves to be sodomized by me.
Whaddaya think, does that make it okay? Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 04:43 am
I wish the #$&^% would try that on me. I would love to put a work boot in his privates.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 04:44 am
Lash wrote:
Would have much preferred he told her what he thought of her.

It immediately negates any point anyone may have had when they spit on someone.

It is completely unsupportable, IMO.

Yes, couldn't agree more. All he achieved by spitting in her face was to demonstrate how crass he is.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 06:08 am
I think that spitting on people is reprehensible. I too would have preferred that he would have given her a huge tongue lashing.

<attempting to straighten out the hair on my neck that is standing up>

I still can't get over the fact that she was never tried for treason. I am angry that she is going to make a fortune, and have a comfortable old age, from the monies garnered from that &*(%$ book.

I saw her on Sixty Minutes, and IMO, on a scale of 0-100, her sincerity level was -5!
0 Replies