pls help me

izzythepush

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 02:00 pm
@Ponderer,
Oh yes.
Ponderer

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 02:12 pm
@izzythepush,
Do you have an answer to the question? I've told you before that have no enjoyment in these playground tussles with you. (Well, maybe a little)
Linkat

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 02:34 pm
@Ponderer,
Ponderer wrote:

Since I am in a "Don't blame the child." mode, I'll leave a question that proves that ( I'd say "most") pre-school and first grade teachers don't know the first thing about teaching, thus setting up many kids to see themselves as failures.
A teacher is going to teach a child how to write. What is Lesson 1 that should be known by all teachers that are teaching children how to write?
A right answer will prove that they don't know Lesson 1 and don't teach it.

I think the above homework is not something assigned by a preschool or first grade teacher. My kids did not have homework in preschool and the homework they had for first grade was coloring and learning to write and read - simple math - not a month long project.

My kids' preschool through first grade teachers were incredible. To this day I am friends with their first grade teacher.

If I had a situation where I felt my kids teachers were not doing their job - I would speak up. The job of your child's teacher is to teach. One of the job's of the parents is to ensure their teaching is doing their job (young children are not in the position to speak up for themselves).
Ponderer

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 03:28 pm
@Linkat,
I'm not being facetious when I say that's all great. No argument. My question is about basic teaching. Because children (many) are not taught the basics of writing, they struggle with it and think "This is hard for me. I hate this. I can't do this."
This is able2know. I thought if I asked a clearly-worded question someone might know what I know. The evidence also proves that some (many) teachers don't pay enough attention to their students to see when they are struggling.
Linkat

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 03:41 pm
@Ponderer,
Ponderer wrote:

I'm not being facetious when I say that's all great. No argument. My question is about basic teaching. Because children (many) are not taught the basics of writing, they struggle with it and think "This is hard for me. I hate this. I can't do this."
This is able2know. I thought if I asked a clearly-worded question someone might know what I know. The evidence also proves that some (many) teachers don't pay enough attention to their students to see when they are struggling.

Yes teachers are definitely better than others - there are good and bad ones - as a parent you follow up with the bad ones and make sure they do their job when the children are younger and not in a position that they can speak for themselves. There are options for parents - working with the teacher, speaking with the principal, getting your child moved to a different teacher/class, getting extra help for the child besides the teacher, even moving to a different school (that might be the most difficult depending on how your school system is run or lack of financial resources).

Funny today we just found out my daughter got accepted to a small private prep school for her last two years of high school. Now most of her teachers at her public high school are very good (some not so much) - but there are other reasons - drama with friends, smaller classes, more specialized attention, stricter school policies -- that we are moving her.

It is a financial burden but we are hoping for some financial aid. But to us it is worth the money.

0 Replies

Ponderer

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 03:49 pm
@Linkat,
Ask your teacher friend my question and tell me the answer. I'm not saying he/she won't know.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 04:00 pm
@Ponderer,
I've answered your question.

I'm not doing the Op's homework for them.
Ponderer

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 04:00 pm
@izzythepush,
That wasn't the question.
izzythepush

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 04:04 pm
@Ponderer,
Then ask again, you didn't direct anything at me.

Btw, you've not answered the question I put directly to you. Have you ever taught?
Ponderer

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 04:18 pm
@izzythepush,
Only one on one. Thank you for reminding me of a lesson. I was giving some little girls a headstart on the first grade. I asked "Can you tell me some words that start with W, like 'woman' or 'window'?" One of them that still pronounced R like W said "Wadio?"
izzythepush

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 04:52 pm
@Ponderer,
So you've never taught a class.
Ponderer

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 06:01 pm
@izzythepush,
I wrote a graduation poem for a friend who had been voted to speak. People were crying. Does that count?

(Last lines from "The Book")

Now close the book
but keep it close
and open it now and then.
Turn to a page that makes you smile
and read it once again.
izzythepush

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 06:28 pm
@Ponderer,
No it doesn't.
Ponderer

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 06:41 pm
@izzythepush,
+>-
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Fri 1 Mar, 2019 08:36 pm
@strawberiix,
Google " genre" "stagger lee" to obtain the songs genre.

Answer the other questions by googling the lyrics of each song to select worse and best period piece and use snippets from the lyrics as evidence for your decision.

Early is always good with homework hon, gl.
0 Replies

Ponderer

Sat 2 Mar, 2019 06:51 am
I wrote-

"A teacher is going to teach a child how to write. What is Lesson 1 that all teachers who teach writing should know?" (and teach)

A: Lesson 1: How To Hold a Pencil

I see it over and over again. Year after year. They have a news story on tv about schools / education / etc. The camera shows a child sitting at a desk writing. A closer look will show that many times the child is holding the pencil in various ways. And many times you see the child erasing and trying again. Imagine a child holding a pencil with three fingers on one side and the thumb on the other, trying to make an S. So, the teacher sees the eraser-torn , possibly incomplete paper (because time was spent erasing / redoing) and labels the child "slow", " learning challenged", etc. This is just one news story showing one child in one classroom in one school in one city in one state.
Do the math.
jespah

Sat 2 Mar, 2019 07:48 am
@Ponderer,
WTF does that have to do with a post from someone who clearly wants someone else to do all of his work?
izzythepush

Sat 2 Mar, 2019 09:49 am
@Ponderer,
That's not a lesson plan. As far as I'm concerned it's irrelevant. The kids I taught knew how to hold pencils. I didn't teach primary kids.

I taught English, not MathS.
izzythepush

Sat 2 Mar, 2019 10:00 am
@jespah,
Ponderer clearly has a problem with the assignment set so he's gone off on a rant about education in general. The fact that he can't see the point in something is all that matters to him.

I have to admit it's a pretty weird assignment and I'd never set anything like that. However, if the OP is studying something like music journalism, I can see it would be very useful indeed.
jespah

Sat 2 Mar, 2019 10:35 am
@izzythepush,
It's definitely an odd assignment. I recall getting an assignment about lyrics when I was in high school, as we were studying poetry in English. It made a great deal of sense as a lesson and that might be what the instructor is going for here. I also remember the people in my class actually doing their work (although this is long before the internet), and asking the teacher if they didn't understand something.