Is the state putting pressure on the media?

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2019 01:52 pm
Does anyone know why Zuckerberg banned RT? Where are we going to receive news now? Free country (was once). It has long been planning to get rid of the useless now account Facebook.
I propose to assess the level of state influence on the media. Do you have such a feeling or not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,744 • Replies: 79

jespah

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2019 03:22 pm
Trying to get rid of the propaganda from Russia Today is probably not such a bad idea.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/29/world/europe/russia-sweden-disinformation.html
http://www.businessinsider.com/state-department-responds-rt-russia-today-john-kerry-2014-4#!HDahV
http://time.com/84843/vladimir-putin-russia-propaganda/
RABEL222

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2019 03:35 pm
@jespah,
I would call Trumps actions putting pressure on the media even though he has had the best of the media putting his mug and the lies he spreads without labeling them as lies. Putin has taught him well.
0 Replies

JohnKloper

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2019 03:40 pm
@jespah,
Apparently Radio Liberty was also always an angel in the flesh ... But for some reason, it seems to me that these links lead to rabid propaganda. A negative background is created and parts of the facts are distorted. Previously, propaganda was in the USSR, and now it is in the US (unfortunately ...)
blatham

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2019 04:54 pm
@JohnKloper,
What's your first language, John?
JohnKloper

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 01:28 am
@blatham,
My native language is Russian and I do not hide it. But if this is for you an explanation of everything, then it is simply called fascism. I suggest just to talk without unnecessary coloring emotions.
Perhaps (even most likely it is), we are each products of their own information processing (I will not say - propaganda). But I lived in the Soviet era and I know what one point of view is. And from the hill of this experience I can say that everything I read from the American media is the very One point of view. I ask you not to be offended by me (I have no intention to troll). Just want to get my point across.
Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 01:43 am
A refreshing, if naïve, candor. Must be an IRA employee in St. Petersburg.
JohnKloper

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 01:57 am
@Setanta,
Hi, Setanta. I do not know what you had in mind by the acronym IRA, if this is the Irish Republican Army, then I have no relation to it.
blatham

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 08:04 am
@JohnKloper,
OK. So let me just ask you some questions.
1) Does the Russian government's intelligence agency direct hundreds of trolls whose job is to cause disorder and division in US politics?

2) Do you think it is certain or likely or just a propaganda lie that Putin is responsible for the murders of his enemies/competitors both inside Russia and outside?

3) Do you think Putin and his intelligence people acted to keep Hillary Clinton out of office and to place Trump in the White House?

4) You wrote above that the links Jespah provided contain only propaganda. Please identify and quote four examples from those sources that you deem false and tell us why.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 08:08 am
@JohnKloper,
JohnKloper wrote:

Where are we going to receive news now?

Do you mean from the literal thousands and thousand of other media outlets across the globe, covering hundreds of countries and languages?

JohnKloper wrote:
It has long been planning to get rid of the useless now account Facebook.

Facebook and the billions of users won't miss one less obvious Russian propagandist from it's midst.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 08:11 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

A refreshing, if naïve, candor. Must be an IRA employee in St. Petersburg.

More like FSB employee.
JohnKloper

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 02:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
This is exactly what I had in mind - Facebook is the state tool for duping by only one “correct” point of view. And judging by your answer, this works well. We watch all the world media. And no one comes to mind to close someone. I watch all the media (of course not always :-)), although, let's say, on CNN, information is always unilaterally engaged. And this is normal in the world. But your cries about Russian propagandists remind me of 1939 Germany. "Only we - all the rest hang!". "Russians interfered in the elections - Heil!" "Trump Russian - Heil!". It would be funny if it were not so sad.
0 Replies

JohnKloper

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 03:38 pm
@blatham,
Just ask you to understand me correctly ... We see all these questions a million times in your media. They only cause a smile (because there is no strength to laugh). These are very silly clichés for such an adult country as the USA. How such respected people can invent horror stories for themselves, to bring an "evidence base" for them, and to wind themselves up more and more ... At first, it looked ridiculous from the outside, but when in the china shop the dishes went down ... these people firmly believe in the story invented by them. Indeed, most likely America is a victim of propaganda, but not enemy, but its own. And speaking with you, I am terrified of its scope ... And I want to answer these questions with Lavrov’s words addressed to the Washington Post correspondent: "Whatever I say, you will still write what you want. So just write what you want"
maxdancona

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 03:53 pm
I see a lot of people who hate Russia here... but they aren't answering the question.

Does anyone see the danger of Facebook being the referee to decide which points of views can be expressed an an institution that decides which ideas can be expressed in a general sense.

I don't see why Russia Today should be banned any more than I think Al Jazeera should, and I certainly don't want Facebook to be making these decisions with or without government help.

I find the idea of the government, or big business, labeling news stories as "true" or "false" to be deeply troubling.

JohnKloper

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 04:06 pm
@blatham,
And more, do not compare yourself with Venezuela in which the president is appointed from the outside. It does not do you the honor.
Dear blatham, whatever your posts I am with respect. Thank.
All the same, it is interesting to talk face to face to people oppositely charged. Find all the same points of contact. Are we different forever?
0 Replies

JohnKloper

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 04:17 pm
@maxdancona,
Thanks. You helped to express the core of my concern.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 04:17 pm
@JohnKloper,
I gather you are in a training phase at a troll boot camp of some sort. Or perhaps you are trying to get a job doing such work.

In either case, I hope you will spend some effort convincing your employers or prospective employers that you are a real talent, a "diamond in the rough" as we say over here. It is absolutely clear to me that if all Russian trolls working on the internet have your caliber of skill, education and wit, then very surely the West has no chance of survival. You can quote me on that.
JohnKloper

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 04:33 pm
@blatham,
In this vein, I have nothing more to talk with you. I am very sorry for you ...
glitterbag

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 09:11 pm
@JohnKloper,
(Emergency, Emergency....please to be keeping from the streets, Alan Arkin as Lt. Rozanov in a 1966 film)
Real Music

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2019 09:29 pm
@JohnKloper,

What are your personal views and opinions of Donald Trump?