So I emailed the editors of TIME, I mean enough already.

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 08:43 am
So I got my new Special Issue of TIME, The TIME 100, the lives and ideas of the world's most influential people and there's a short list on the front:
Condoleeza Rice, Martha Stewart, Jon Stewart, Clint Eastwood... and I start thinking, Hey, if this is the short list, maybe I have a shot at this!! I mean two people named Stewart, come on. And I noticed that the articles about the people on the list were written by people who used to be on the list: Henry Kissinger, Donald Trump, Sean Penn. So I'm thinking hey, they have dumbed this down a little and with a little luck I'll have something to talk about at my fortieth high school reunion this October.

So, I start looking through the pages trying to think what photo they might have used
http://img180.echo.cx/img180/3223/jmj19724et.th.jpg
No. No. Dated.

Probably this one:
http://img227.echo.cx/img227/9169/joenationshrunk0uc.th.jpg Yeah, that's the one. Wish I had combed my hair. Or shaved closer. Well, it does have a certain current cultural reference.

And here's the thing, I see the expected ones, you know, Bush, Karl Rove (James Carville has to write the suck-up paragraph for that one.), I almost die when I see a picture of Jane Fonda, but she is just flogging her book wherein she flogs herself, a condition and practice with which she is not unfamiliar. I mean, married to Ted Turner and well, never mind we are discussing deeper issues like how far down the list am I?

Okay, so now here's HuJintao. Three guesses who he or she is. And Thabo Mbeki is billed as the most powerful man in Africa but who no American has ever heard of because the coiffed crew at ABC7 and FoxNews can't figure how to pronouce Mbeki. Meanwhile, a couple more pages in there's Hugo Chavez and I thought for a second it was the guy who did the grape boycott but then I remembered that whathisname oh yeah, Cesar, he died, so this guy is someone else, but he still is someone who is sticking it to the fat cats of the USA. So what's the point here??

(Finished guessing on Jintao?? He is President of China. HU NHU?

That's a joke. I'm kidding. I kill myself. Sorry. I'll stop now.)

Anyway, I'm flipping pages now thinking about what I will say to Patricia Tremontana when I see her at the reunion and she says"Who?"when I see they've got Bill Clinton (jesus, let someone else have a chance!) Jay-Z and some guy named Bram Cohen who like wrote a bunch of software to pirate stuff with. He's in the list and I'm not!?? At least, not that I've seen but there are still a lot of pages to go.

On one page they've got Melissa Etheridge, Hania Mufti and Oprah Winfrey. It's beginning to dawn on me that the editors of TIME are spending too much time trying to tell us something we already know. They should put in someone different, someone who would surprise and tantalize, someone who people would say who dat? about. Someone like me.

So enough already with the list of achievers, people who have actually done something with their lives (and our lives in many cases). Let's have a little spotlight for the Joe Nations of the World: the regular schmoes who write good tag lines on the unending poetry threads and hardly anything else. I mean you want to put Wangari Maathai in your list but no one on radio or tv will give you the TIME of day, but put (dare I say it) Joe Nation on the cover and the world will stop.

And maybe buy a copy to find out who the hell...

So I emailed them and called them and I faxed them and I spoke to a very nice person named Jeniffer who is one of more important phone people at TIME and I suggested that they have another issue entitled "Oops, we left out JOE" and to have it on the news stands right about early October.

Vote now!

Joe( Come on. I need this.) Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,849 • Replies: 58
No top replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:00 am
Ya got my vote Joe (Joey,Joe,Joe,Joe,Shabadoo) Nation
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:07 am
I vote Joe(If you need it)Nation.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:14 am
I'm sure he'll get in as he's got the whole Nation behind him.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:18 am
I have an idea. I'll ask if I can have all my voters in the cover photo.... you and Bob will be right there in front
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:30 am
You got my vote too, Joe (we love you) Norton!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:35 am
I voted, because I loved Mr Deeds goes to Washington, or whatever the hell it was called.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:54 am
Thank you Jane.

And thank you Edgar for remembering that fine movie Mr. Magoo meets Mr. Smith on his way to Mr. Deed's House which is in Maryland somewhere.

Aren't we going to look great on the cover? Maybe they will do one of those fold-out things.

And I just want to say that if any one of you had thought of this first I would have voted for you. I would have tried to steal the idea first but then later I would have voted absolutely for you, everyone of you, all of you.

Joe(I'm practicing my sucking up...)Nation
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:56 am
whenever I read a Time I have to wash my hands afterwards.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:58 am
Oh, and I missed sublime1 voting, so he OR she (hu nhus?) will get to stand really near me in the photo op. Maybe hold a small sign.

Joe(Hey, there's a typo in the list!! There isto be no voting for Joan!) Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 09:59 am
Dys, anything we can do to get you to actually wash any part of you seems like a good thing.

Joe(I just look at the pictures)Nation
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:00 am
Gee Dys,

When I was young, this used to happen when I read National Geographic... but Time never affected me in quite the same way.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:10 am
Have you seen the pictures of Condeleeza in her tunic??
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:18 am
I have trouble committing to things. Fortunately, there was an option for that!

Joe's okay by me.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:20 am
Joe, I find you a very fascinating man on this forum. I have never purchased a Time magazine, but if you were on the cover, I would buy two. One for safe keeping........and one for reading. I would stand in line to buy that magazine. :wink:

Babbling ( sucking up to Joe) Brooke.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:30 am
I'd buy one for datrs practice.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 10:37 am
Chalk me up for another vote for you, Joe ;-)

Joe (you da man) Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 11:21 am
I am going to see if I can get TIME to pay for the plane fare for everyone to come for the photo shoot. I think that's only fair. Now I have to warn you that nothing is for sure so don't start packing yet. Well, start packing but don't schedule any vacation days.

I also called Jennifer at home, boy was she surprised until I told her about the reverse search that Noddy or Osso taught us how to do, you know where once you know a person name you can get anything about them pretty easily. I wanted to ask her about the plane fare but she seemed fairly standoffish, maybe she had a gentleman caller, I don't know but I did manage to get both Dys and Bobsmyhawk a three year subscription so Dys can keep his hands clean and bob can practice his datrs. What is that, Bob, some kind of weird yoga middle/eastern thing that you do? Does it involve feathers in any way? I'm getting this feeling.

Anyway, god bless you all for your support, and a big shout out to Brook and Montana, finally a couple of voters with class..

Joe(hope everyone takes that the right way)Nation
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 11:50 am
No. It's a misspelling of darts.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 12:10 pm
What a nice thing to say, Joe. Thanks very much :-D

I don't fly, so can you check and see if they'll cover a rental car so I can drive down? I'll make sure to gather my gas recipts as well :-D
0 Replies