Terrorist Attacks Have INCREASED! But, Don't Report It!

JTT

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 05:48 am
Baldimo wrote:
I guess for those that don't read or watch the news this must be shocking. For those of us that do watch and read the news, it really isn't news at all.

Do you really think a govt report is going to make the difference in a case like this?

Hell no, Baldimo, why should a government report have any effect on the WH? Have you been following this thread? You must watch Faux News.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 06:08 am
JTT wrote:
Quote:
Brandon9000
Iraq was invaded because Hussein had[/u] possessed WMD and WMD programs, had a long history of concealing them, and had not produced proof of the destruction of many of them after more than a decade. That is the reason given for the invasion, and that is the legitimate justification.

Let me get this straight.

The USA HAS a long history of possessing WMDs, HAS had a long history of concealing them, HAS used them in the past, HAS expressed a desire to develop new WMDs, ...

Israel HAS a fairly long history of possessing WMDs, HAS had a long history of concealing them, ...

Sounds like it's only dangerous for a country if you've HAD them. Then you're in deep doggy do-doo. Is it any wonder that other countries don't want to give up any weapons capability faced as they are, with the schizophrenic nature of US foreign policy?

The fact that law abiding citizens own guns doesn't mean that it's acceptable for felons to own guns. We have never said that no one may possess WMD, just that we cannot permit some entities to. Of all the countries that will seek WMD in the future (not to mention private organizations), there are a few at the "evil madman" end of the spectrum who cannot be allowed to, and Hussein was one of them. By the terms of his surrender in Gulf War 1, he had agreed to verifiably disarm in such a way that there would be no doubt that he had done so.

JTT wrote:
Let's finish up with some more facts.

Quote:
http://www.fas.org/asmp/fast_facts.htm
Since 1992, the United States has exported more than $142 billion dollars worth of weaponry to states around the world.[1] The U.S. dominates this international arms market, supplying just under half of all arms exports in 2001, roughly two and a half times more than the second and third largest suppliers. [2 ] U.S. weapons sales help outfit non-democratic regimes, soldiers who commit gross human rights abuses against their citizens and citizens of other countries, and forces in unstable regions on the verge of, in the middle of, or recovering from conflict.

U.S.-origin weapons find their way into conflicts the world over. The United States supplied arms or military technology to more than 92% of the conflicts under way in 1999.[3] The costs to the families and communities afflicted by this violence is immeasurable. But to most arms dealers, the profit accumulated outweighs the lives lost. In the period from 1998-2001, over 68% of world arms deliveries were sold or given to developing nations, where lingering conflicts or societal violence can scare away potential investors.[4]

Of course, a loss of investment opportunities is not the only way Americans are impacted by the weapons trade. In addition to paying billions of dollars every year to support weapons exports, Americans may also feel the impact of increasing instability overseas. The United States military has had to face troops previously trained by its own military or supplied with U.S. weaponry in Panama, Iraq, Somalia, Haiti, and now in Afghanistan. Due to the advanced capabilities these militaries have acquired from past U.S. training and sales, the U.S. had to invest much more money and manpower in these conflicts than would have otherwise been needed.

There are few restrictions on whom the government may export arms to. One notable exception is the Leahy Law, which prohibits U.S. military aid or training to foreign military units known to have committed human rights abuses. Under the Pentagon's interpretation of the law, however, these restrictions may be lifted if the foreign government filters out the "few bad apples" in that particular unit. An International Code of Conduct on Arms Sales is also being negotiated with other arms exporters in the hopes of creating a common set of export criteria.

"Ah, horsepucky," says Brandon and Timberlandko, "probably a terrorist website, intent on slandering the good ole US of A."

FAS stands for Federation of American Scientists.

Putting words in someone else's mouth so that you can then find them to be unworthy words is a very low form of debate. I trust that virtually none of these weapons we are selling are nuclear weapons or bioweapons. I have read that under some circumstance, we once gave Hussein bioweapons. It was a mistake. Anyway, this has nothing whatever to do with the question of whether a latter day Hitler type can be allowed to amass doomsday weapons.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 07:39 am
Quote:
Putting words in someone else's mouth so that you can then find them to be unworthy words is a very low form of debate. I trust that virtually none of these weapons we are selling are nuclear weapons or bioweapons. I have read that under some circumstance, we once gave Hussein bioweapons. It was a mistake. Anyway, this has nothing whatever to do with the question of whether a latter day Hitler type can be allowed to amass doomsday weapons.

You're right, Brandon. That was rude of me. I apologise. Now what was it that you were saying about "a latter day Hitler type"?

"The United States supplied arms or military technology to more than 92% of the conflicts under way in 1999. The costs to the families and communities afflicted by this violence is immeasurable. But to most arms dealers, the profit accumulated outweighs the lives lost."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 08:45 am
Brandon,

Bush called, he'd like his line and sinker back.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 09:12 am
JTT wrote:
Quote:

You're right, Brandon. That was rude of me. I apologise. Now what was it that you were saying about "a latter day Hitler type"?

"The United States supplied arms or military technology to more than 92% of the conflicts under way in 1999. The costs to the families and communities afflicted by this violence is immeasurable. But to most arms dealers, the profit accumulated outweighs the lives lost."

What you are saying is that we were working both sides of the isle in these conflicts. I do not find that probable in the least. If we were supplying arms to one side then who was supplying arms to the other side? When you look at the types of weapons that are used in modern day conflicts, you will see that most of the people that we do not support use Russian or Chinese firearms. Have you ever seen M16A2's going up against M16A2's or even M4's? No, you have not because we do not supply "92%" of arms in modern day conflicts.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 09:20 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Let me try and simplify

!. A shitty president becomes president in a shady way.

2. He soon finds that he's not popular particularly and has no real ideas or mandate for making his mark which really matters to him because he's a borderline psychopathic megalomaniac.

3. The biggest reason he's been put in is to front his corporate masters who want to globalize the financial and therefore power base.

4. He don't like that snake in the grass Saddam Hussein anyway, so he decides to start a war with him. After all he's got his snake in the grass business partners on payroll so why not use the people who know him best against him?

5. 9/11 happens and holds him up for a bit, but then it's on to the program.

6. The Bush team puts into play a simple plan. Set your goal first, stick to it, and then everything that happens can be moulded to fit that goal so you can make it up as you go and proceed with the understanding that the people you were elected to serve will believe any goddam thing if you tell it to them over and over again, especially if they're scared shitless and if the desire to be comfortable and SHOP is what they really care about and they're willing to listen to anything as long as they can continue to go to the mall and get 350 channels.

&. Latch on to a few simple real life "General Hospital" type issues to blow up in the press 24/7 to distract everyone, and voila!!! You go about the business of war for the two real reasons you went, and the only ones that really matter. The consolidation of your financial and power base, the satisfaction of your own ego.

Of course that's just my opinion, and I might be wrong. It's certainly not an opinion that's more far fetched than any other , and at least my opinion remains constant.

Are you sure you're not Bi-Polar Bear? Very Happy
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:20 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
FAS stands for Federation of American Scientists.I have read that under some circumstance, we once gave Hussein bioweapons. It was a mistake.

so at what point did this leopard change his spots and go from trusted partner in the war on terrorist iran to latter day hitler ?

Brandon9000 wrote:
Anyway, this has nothing whatever to do with the question of whether a latter day Hitler type can be allowed to amass doomsday weapons.

i'm so tired of you guys comparing saddam hussein to hitler. not even close. and the iraq war is not on the scale of ww II for that matter.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 11:22 am
dlowan wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
shhhh..be vewy quiet. I'm hunting frightened wabbits.

Pardon me?

i think he just sneezed, deb. you surely heard wrong.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 04:15 am
No Convictions Among Guantanamo Suspects Sent Home

Reuters, 3-18-05

Three years after the United States opened its prison for terrorism suspects at Guantanamo Bay, 65 detainees have been handed over to their home countries but none has been convicted of any crime.

Source: http://www.allhatnocattle.net/3-18-05_surgeon_general.htm

======================

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

Article [VIII.]
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

Article XIII.
Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 05:38 am
I am hoping that I am not too off the subject on this but I run across this interesting article that has some relation to one of the words in the subject of the thread anyway.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TERROR_THREATS_REPORT?SITE=WFAT&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 11:17 am
good info, revel.

this demonstrates why some of us have real big concerns about the patriot act, either renewing or expanding.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 10:24 pm
This is an observation I made while watching the news about the UK general elections.

You have your right wing (Michael Howard Conservative party) and your left wing (Blair Labor party). Isn't it the norm that the right wing are supposed to agree with the US while left wingers (esp those who are extreme) are anti US like you would never believe. A bit of a contradiction with the UK now - the labor party supporting the US while the opposition conservatives question the war and support for the US. Or maybe I have gotten this who left-right-wing idea wrong??

any comments?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 12:21 am
That's easy - Tony Blair is Maggie Thatcher's love child. Genes will out.
0 Replies