Terrorist Attacks Have INCREASED! But, Don't Report It!

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:43 am
Quote:
Bush administration eliminating 19-year-old international terrorism report

By Jonathan S. Landay

Knight Ridder Newspapers

WASHINGTON - The State Department decided to stop publishing an annual report on international terrorism after the government's top terrorism center concluded that there were more terrorist attacks in 2004 than in any year since 1985, the first year the publication covered.

Several U.S. officials defended the abrupt decision, saying the methodology the National Counterterrorism Center used to generate statistics for the report may have been faulty, such as the inclusion of incidents that may not have been terrorism.

Last year, the number of incidents in 2003 was undercounted, forcing a revision of the report, "Patterns of Global Terrorism."

But other current and former officials charged that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice's office ordered "Patterns of Global Terrorism" eliminated several weeks ago because the 2004 statistics raised disturbing questions about the Bush's administration's frequent claims of progress in the war against terrorism.

"Instead of dealing with the facts and dealing with them in an intelligent fashion, they try to hide their facts from the American public," charged Larry C. Johnson, a former CIA analyst and State Department terrorism expert who first disclosed the decision to eliminate the report in The Counterterrorism Blog, an online journal.

Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Calif., who was among the leading critics of last year's mix-up, reacted angrily to the decision.

"This is the definitive report on the incidence of terrorism around the world. It should be unthinkable that there would be an effort to withhold it - or any of the key data - from the public. The Bush administration should stop playing politics with this critical report."

A senior State Department official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue, confirmed that the publication was being eliminated, but said the allegation that it was being done for political reasons was "categorically untrue."

According to Johnson and U.S. intelligence officials familiar with the issue, statistics that the National Counterterrorism Center provided to the State Department reported 625 "significant" terrorist attacks in 2004.

That compared with 175 such incidents in 2003, the highest number in two decades....

Last June, the administration was forced to issue a revised version of the report for 2003 that showed a higher number of significant terrorist attacks and more than twice the number of fatalities than had been presented in the original report two months earlier.

The snafu was embarrassing for the White House, which had used the original version to bolster President Bush's election-campaign claim that the war in Iraq had advanced the fight against terrorism.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,374 • Replies: 52
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:44 am
shhhh..be vewy quiet. I'm hunting frightened wabbits.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:06 am
the sky is not falling, it's the ground coming up.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:09 am
The glass is neither half empty or half full, it was merely made in the wrong size.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:44 am
So, is anyone feeling safer? Should we expand the Patriot Act?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:47 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:

Pardon me?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:50 am
Work for and trust the powerful few
What's best for them is best for you

Marat/Sade
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:52 am
dlowan wrote:

Pardon me?

no one would mistake you for a fwightened wabbit Rambun.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:02 am
It IS odd - of course terrorist attacks have increased - there is an insurgency in Iraq, for pete's sake, for starters.

I would have thought it much simpler to explain the increase, than to look ridiculous stopping the publication of the report.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:06 am
dlowan this is America, where the entire current leadership is building its blind following by repeating the creed that there have been no terrorist attacks on American soil since 9/11. This is the only bullet in their gun and apparently the only one necessary. Of course if there are no terrorist attacks here, there are no terrorist attacks period because we have come to believe, by purposeful campaign, that we are the center of the universe. Leading by example and all ya know.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 02:52 pm
Morality and truth stops at the White House.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 03:20 pm
Your conversation pre-supposes that a correct national policy would have the immediate effect of reducing terrorism. That is very short term thinking. When the American Founding Fathers refused to pay British taxes, which was the exact right thing to do, the effect was that Britain closed the port of Boston and sent over a large army. The idea that the minute we start fighting an enemy, the enemy will fight back less is silly. Furthermore, our efforts against Iraq were not really directed against terrorism. They were intended to address weapons proliferation.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 03:35 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Your conversation pre-supposes that a correct national policy would have the immediate effect of reducing terrorism. That is very short term thinking. When the American Founding Fathers refused to pay British taxes, which was the exact right thing to do, the effect was that Britain closed the port of Boston and sent over a large army. The idea that the minute we start fighting an enemy, the enemy will fight back less is silly. Furthermore, our efforts against Iraq were not really directed against terrorism. They were intended to address weapons proliferation.
[/b][/color][/size]

I thought we decided that after Bush attacked Iraq through NO FAULT OF HIS OWN because of faulty intelligence :wink: and we learned that weapons proliferation was bullshit, that we attacked them as part of the war on terrorism, and correct me if I'm wrong isn't preventing weapons proliferation by those pesky terrorists a big part of the war on terra? Now dammit which is it, I'm getting a headache. Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 04:48 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Furthermore, our efforts against Iraq were not really directed against terrorism. They were intended to address weapons proliferation.
[/b][/color][/size]

I thought we decided that after Bush attacked Iraq through NO FAULT OF HIS OWN because of faulty intelligence :wink:

huhh.. i could swear i heard that it was to free the liberty craving iraqis from the tyranny of our old partner in the war on terrorists in iran, saddam hussein...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 05:00 pm
no no no
it was to ... well . . .
sigh
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:43 pm
[I thought it was to bring Democracy to the Middle East
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:15 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
[/b]
I thought we decided that after Bush attacked Iraq through NO FAULT OF HIS OWN because of faulty intelligence :wink: and we learned that weapons proliferation was bullshit, that we attacked them as part of the war on terrorism, and correct me if I'm wrong isn't preventing weapons proliferation by those pesky terrorists a big part of the war on terra? Now dammit which is it, I'm getting a headache. Rolling Eyes Laughing

You shouldn't be getting a headache, because this is not that complicated, you are an intelligent man, and this has been gone over ad nauseum. Weapons proliferation is most certainly not bullshit, not matter what happened or will happen in Iraq. Weapons proliferation is very likely to be the thing which ultimately destroys civilization, if not our species. You cannot have weapons getting more powerful, yet more accessible, forever without something terrible happening eventually.

Not all of the intelligence regarding Iraq was faulty. Even just what was apparent from reading the newspapers was sufficient to justify invasion, apart from anything to do with recent input from intelligence agencies. It is, after all, true that Hussein had had WMD and programs to develop them, had used them, had concealed them, and had lied about them, yet whether he had disposed of them (and oddly not obtained proof of it) or still had them and was just stalling us while he perfected them was unknown. Invasion was the right thing to do because even a moderate probability of a cataclysmic tragedy is very serious. We also have no idea even now, when it was that he destroyed the weapons, whether just before the invasion or years before. Our invasion of Iraq was primarily a weapons proliferation issue, not a terror issue. There is some degree of tie-in in the sense that of all the people we don't want to get WMD, terrorists are on the top of the list, but the invasion of Iraq was more than sufficiently justified by the necessity of keeping WMD out of the hands of homicidal madmen. Yes, it is true, that now that WMD have not been found, other aspects of the invasion are played up more, like democratization, but why we invaded originally was, or should have been, over concern about WMD.

Weapons proliferation did not begin with Iraq, and does not end with Iraq. In the future, there will be many times when Hussein-like figures have been developing WMD, but the exact status of their development is unknown. In many of those cases, depending on other factors, we will eventually have to invade, if we wish to keep breating.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:23 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Furthermore, our efforts against Iraq were not really directed against terrorism. They were intended to address weapons proliferation.
[/b][/color][/size]

I thought we decided that after Bush attacked Iraq through NO FAULT OF HIS OWN because of faulty intelligence :wink:

huhh.. i could swear i heard that it was to free the liberty craving iraqis from the tyranny of our old partner in the war on terrorists in iran, saddam hussein...

The reason given at the time we invaded was WMD, and this was the reason why we had to invade. Now that no WMD have been found, other aspects of the invasion are played up, of course, but the real problem posed by Iraq concerned the unknown state of its compliance with its pledge to destroy WMD and WMD programs.

I note in passing that you seem to have real indifference to the fact that the Iraqis were, in fact, brutally oppressed, and that now they have a chance, at least, for representative democracy. It would be a good thing if you were to stop mocking the attempt to bring them democracy, and try to support it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:26 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
[I thought it was to bring Democracy to the Middle East

Anyone who can think for himself ought to be able to see that allowing Hussein to gain enough bioweapons and nukes to kill millions was something that could not be permitted to happen. The obsession with what people said about it, rather than what was actually true about it, is not sensible. Even had Kofi Annan urged us to invade on the theory that Hussein was in league with Satan, the fact would remain that invasion was necessary to insure that Hussein not be allowed to possess a stockpile of really effective nukes and bioweapons.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:37 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
[/b][/color][/size]

The reason given at the time we invaded was WMD, and this was the reason why we had to invade. Now that no WMD have been found, other aspects of the invasion are played up, of course, but the real problem posed by Iraq concerned the unknown state of its compliance with its pledge to destroy WMD and WMD programs.

I note in passing that you seem to have real indifference to the fact that the Iraqis were, in fact, brutally oppressed, and that now they have a chance, at least, for representative democracy. It would be a good thing if you were to stop mocking the attempt to bring them democracy, and try to support it.

Hmm, do I understand this correctly. Iraq had to be overtaken because they had WMD that were a threat to America, and possibly other countries. For this reason, Iraq was attacked. Lo and behold, no WMD were found. Go to plan B ... Stop the terrorist threat. Uh, oh, better go to plan C ... The Iraq people were bruttally oppressed so now that is the reason for invasion.

Terrorism increases because Iraq insurgents are attaching U.S. forces. Hmm, their country has been attacked and they are fighting back. Based on plan C.....is there consideration of an invasion of China?

It is certainly not my attention to make light of this situation (particularly given the fact that soldiers of the U.S. and other countries are being wounded and worse....they are just doing their job and had no say in what direction things would take)

I am just confused over the whole thing.
0 Replies