Who was the Captain of the wooden sailing ship "Confection"?

bobp

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 01:42 pm
What is the history of this ship, its master, and crew?

SCoates

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 03:30 pm
Before, or after it was seized by pirates?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 03:51 pm
My inclination is to go with Willie Wonka.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 03:56 pm
I think he may be referring to the literal sailing ship.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 07:55 pm
And Willie is what? Allagory?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 07:57 pm
Apologies to bobp. When you see answers like this, so early in a thread, it means we don't know the answer. Usually, the real answer is in post #2, and it doesn't degenerate till around the 5th.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:08 pm
I tried googling this ship and came up zip. I would guess that if there was such a ship it was in the caribbean trade and carried sugar. That would make her a "sweet" ship. ie her hold did not smell raunchy.

If bobp really is looking for an answer he/she needs to provide more information such as date, flag she sailed under possibly port she sailed from.
0 Replies

bobp

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 05:08 pm
I inherited a wooden model of this sailing ship and know nothing about it. 3 masted sailing ship of @ 1700's. Model has 10 guns so it may be a pirate ship. No flag on it. Plaque on it says ships name: "Confection". Curious to find any info on it and its history after failing to find anything during an internet search. This may be a serious challenge. Anyone willing to take it on?
Intrepid

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:44 pm
All I could find on this ship is that it is a wooden model, but you already know that. It is possible that it is not based on a historical ship.

You indicate that it has 10 cannons... A class 6 ship would have had at least 32 cannons.

Will followup if anything more comes us.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 07:48 pm
bobp wrote:
Model has 10 guns so it may be a pirate ship.

More likely she was an armed merchantman. The guns are to discourage pirates,
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 06:16 am
Does the plaque actually say that "Confection" is the ship's name? Or does it just give that word? If so, it could possibly mean that the model is a "confection" - i.e. that it is a "made-up" vessel, perhaps using characteristic features of two or more real ships.
0 Replies

bobp

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 12:19 pm
It just says "Confection".
I hadn't considered this possibility.
0 Replies

Bunts

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 02:16 pm
For Christmas I received a model of the 3-masted sailing ship 'Confection'. I have tried searching the internet, but no information.
I have just finished reading a book about a guy who put hundreds of thousands of $$ - millions eventually - into trying to find a pirate ship that was laden with gold and silver and artifacts - although the guy was as much into archeology as treasure hunting.
The captain of the pirate ship was named 'Black' Sam Bellamy. I am sure that when the treasure hunter/historian was looking for Sam's ship he came across, by accident, the sunken remains of the 'Confection'.
I am frantically searching my library for the name of the author and Bellamy's ship he spent many years trying to find, eventually opening a Pirate Museum from the artefacts that he found on his many dives.
When I find the book, I will post the name of the author and the ship he was looking for for all those years, and the reference to the 'Confection'.
Bunts

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 02:32 pm
The ship that the guy was looking for was Black Sam's pirate ship, Whydah, and the book was by Barry Clifford, the diver/investor/treasure hunter/historian.
I hope that this information gives those that are interested a lead.

Even if the book doesn't tell you much about the 'Confection', it's fascinating reading, which I highly recommend.
Bunts
0 Replies

Stuart Ward

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 07:37 pm
I have a model of the Confection which was purchsed in Gunagzhou China. I have just been to the Philippines for Chinese New Year and saw a small model of the Confection on a cars dashboard.

I have also searched the internet and found no reference to this ship at all
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 01:30 am
@Stuart Ward,
I could only come up with this sailing related page which contained the word 'confection'.
Not much use to anyone, but may hold farmerman's interest for a minute or so.

http://www.sailpolaris.com/SouthCoastEngland.htm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 02:09 am
I suspect that the searches were uninspired. This is from Amazon UK, and is alleged to be a model of the ship Confection.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410GyOowxWL._SY300_.jpg

It's not much of a model, rather crappy, in fact--but it would appear to have been a clipper ship. I'll see what else i can come up with.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 03:17 am
Well, i can't find anything else (at least not yet, and i don't think i'll spend any more time on it). I have, however, come across some interesting videos of sailing vessels in the modern world. I'm embarked on a roughly four hour journey with an eighty-year-old German fishing smack, sailing from Greenland to Newfoundland, then Ireland, Scotland and the north German coast. I'll take it a little bit at a time.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 04:17 am
Maybe bobp was referring to the Good Ship Lollipop?
0 Replies

Erh

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2017 02:48 pm
@Bunts,
Hi my na is Renee did you ever find that book about the Confection
0 Replies