Some theories on marriage - all feedback welcome

escvelocity

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 02:21 pm
personally i think the reason for the divorce rate is the introduction of the no fault divorce. Everyone one who is married has their down period that its too much stress, have thoughts that it wasn't what they signed up for, no matter how much you love each other. My parents told me when they got divorced, that mommy and daddy still love each other, we just can't live together. It use to be difficult to get a divorce. you had to prove that there was grounds for a divorce. like abuse, infidelity, ect...and even then when one partner didn't want a divorce, they would court order marriage counseling. And if one partner was shown to be at fault, there was penalties for breaking marriage vows. Now, since the no fault divorce has been passed, its very easy to get a divorce, even if one partner doesn't want it. Only thing that gets messy in a divorce is the custody issue, and division of property.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 04:10 am
Despite the fact that my parents were in the messiest marriage possible - divorced twice then married to each other again twice - and listening to them fight fight fight isn't pleasant, but I will always always have faith in any future marriage of mine, if there is one. I think to me, the most important phrase is:

Just remember, that ring on your finger means something.
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:44 am
I believe it is good when the girl is 18 and the guy is 22. I just figured a guy getting married was a normal thing a guy is supposed to do. I never gave it a second thought. In fact I was not even thinking about getting married when things started.

I saw this woman that I liked and I didn't think she would go out with me. Then I found out she accepted an invitation to go out with a guy I knew who was kind of a dope. I saw her in the hall, asked her out, told her to break the date with the other guy. She did and we went out.

We got married, had kids then just short of 30 years she left.

Well, by that time of course I had really learned to love her and I was heartbroken. The kids were all grown, never really liked the kids to much anyway, but they were all grown living there own good lives and I was now by myself.

I think the only thing that kept me from doing something rash was the realization that she was very good looking and she was mine for the best years of her life. And that was really something. We had some great times together, traveled, did everything together. Just one of those things.

Unreconcilable differences was it. I even suggested counseling after she hired her lawyer. No good, wouldn't go. She'd had enough of me.

Get married as young as you can and enjoy it as much as you can because you will remember the best stuff when you look back if you get divorced. Yes having a woman from 18 to about 46, all your own, all those years is nothing to sneeze at. Particularly when she is good looking.

I was dating 40ish women (I'm 68) but I came to my senses and I now have the BB-50 or 60 plan. I date older women but I really doubt I would get married again. 1 life, 1 marriage is what I say. At least that is the way I see it.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:28 pm
Jack Webbs wrote:
1 life, 1 marriage is what I say. At least that is the way I see it.

Very much so - I agree. Marriage should be for life. Which is why, as much as I don't like Australian Prime Minister John howard, I admire his emphasis on family and marriage values. They are the traditional, conservative couple and children - the way a family should be. To me, anyway.
0 Replies

subtleone

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 02:04 am
marriage views
Thanks, Indiana, for putting yourself on the chopping block for this one and providing a stimulating topic. I don't agree with everything you have said, but I do admire your frankness with regard to the realities of marriage.

I belive in a loving, committed, monogamous relationship between two individuals. This type of relationship, aside from needing trust and maturity, needs a great amount of closeness and familiarity, but also a certain amount of space and respect for each other's independence. I think some people have different capacities with regard to their capability to give themselves to another person in this way. Some people need marriage; either they need the legal enforcement to stay committed or they need the affirmation that their partner is required to stay committed. For some, marriage puts the participants into a box, or at least a rut, that it intolerable. And then there are those who take advantage of marriage and fail to treat their partner with the respect or thoughtfulness that they deserve.

It's all about the individauls. As for me, I don't feel that I need the government to keep me committed and respectful to a great woman whom I may meet and fall in love with; why invite that institution into my private life? If the girl wants marriage, though, I will embrace it, as she may have some societal or personal need for it. Ideally, we will both know that a certain amount of space and individual identities are an important part of any healthy relationship.

I know I've only touched upon a few of your points, but that'll have to do for now! I hope to hear more from you, Indiana, and the other insightful writers who have contributed to this thread.

-m
0 Replies

shmookiedoo

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 02:53 pm
Jack Webbs wrote:
Well, by that time of course I had really learned to love her and I was heartbroken. The kids were all grown, never really liked the kids to much anyway, but they were all grown living there own good lives and I was now by myself.

You never really liked your kids???
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2005 05:03 pm
Poor choice of words shmookiedoo. Actually I liked them alright, at least before they became teen agers but to say I loved them, at anytime would be stretching the truth.

I believe all this dad and kids stuff is carrying on old tradition which has worked well holding society together but beyond that? Well, beyond that it is hypocritical.

Yesterday I was looking a furniture and the other old geezer was in there with two of his small grandchildren. I could tell they were annoying him, they were annoying me. They didn't appreciate looking at nice furniture. Who was kidding who?

Another thing I find pretty obnoxious, stupid in fact, is when I hear of a husband and wife TRYING to have children! Laughing If that isn't the silliest, most pathetic thing I have heard I can't tell you what is; TRYING to have children. Laughing What do people like that do at night when it is bed time? Go right to sleep all the other nights other than when they are TRYING to have children? Too funny!

It is pretty miraculous that all six of ours have done well but my ex and I would have had a much happier life with just two or three, just enough to bond into a reasonable sized family and even that would have been a pain as I think of it. None would have been best although I'm sure my ex wouldn't agree. She really loves her children. Even though they are all grown adults now.

Too me they are simply friendly people. Laughing
0 Replies

JLLLLLL

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 02:39 pm
Re: Some theories on marriage - all feedback welcome
indiana_jones wrote:
Hi all - apologies ahead of time if this gets to be a long post, but I'd really like to active feedback on some of the following.

I've been married now 5 years, to a wonderful woman that I met in college. We became friends over several years, then dated on and off for 3 years, and finally tied the knot after both of us ending our short-lived relationships with others.

From many other marriages I've seen, we really have worked out the petty details to a science. We both make great incomes and have solved the usual money issues, we know how to solve our other problems together, and we share many friends together. Sound like a blissful marriage?

For the most part it is, but recently many things have changed in my mind and I've spent the better part of the last several years thinking about marriage and society/culture as a whole and what it means.

Three years ago, my parents ended a 30 year marriage when my mother announced (at Thanksgiving no less) that she had been having affairs for nearly 10 years, and would be leaving my father to be with another man. My father and I were hit like a brick. It absolutely devastated my dad and he spent the better part of 2 years getting himself mentally back on his feet. Now, they remain friends, and have both moved on. They get along reasonably well, and even see each other on occasion.

But I digress; more to my point. Until the episode with my folks occurred, I never really thought about the future of my marriage, or others' marriages for that matter. Having come from a solid family, I naturally assumed I was "immune" to the troubles of the world and assumed my marriage would always have it's share of issues, but we would deal with them and blissfully move on.

However, I've begun to open my eyes a bit, and pay attention to what is happening in the world, in hopes that I might not be yet another blind sheep who follows the same footsteps and mistakes that have been made time and time again. What got me started was the sheer divorce statistics in this country. 50% of marriages end in divorce. Of the half that are left, 50% of those seem to want to divorce, but don't because of any number of reasons (children, religion, etc). The question I was forced to ask myself, is, what are we doing wrong as a society that makes so many people want to get out of marriage?

A few thoughts:
Have we, as a society, outgrown the ~need~ for marriage? Are we outwardly, and publicly trying to cling to a tradition, that, for most intents and purposes, isn't absolutely necessary anymore? Look at our culture, for the most part, people have the ability to live independently of each other these days. Jobs, homes, you name it, we all have the capability.

Also, when couples marry, the natural assumption is to live together (are there stats on couples that marry, but do NOT co-reside? I don't know, but I'd be interested). I realize there are many social, and especially economic advantages to living together, but does doing so, especially in today's culture, squash the love and desire out of us? Let me clarify. Name one roommate you've ever had that you didn't get sick of? I cannot. What makes us think, that our spouse would be immune to that affect? Daily routine, and little separation to me, seems to breed complacency. Complacency drowns out all of the sensation of "missing" someone, and voids the tiny bit of uncertainty in ones relationship that really stokes the fire of passion. Is one really willing to douse the fire of passion, in exchange for cheaper living?

I recall a recent conversation with my lovely spouse, where we both commented on how wonderful it was back when we lived separately, back when we were engaged, but separated by our independent lives and 250 miles. We both maintained our own lives, careers, and households, and were only able to see each other on the weekends. But what a feeling! I couldn't wait to see her, be with her, get intimate, and often drove in the wee hours of the night to do so! A feeling that would be hard to contemplate now!

The only other time I've felt this, since being married, is when I had traveled for two weeks on a trip with a friend. Being unable to see my wife, when I wanted, I began to miss her. Being "independent" and having the ability to go and do whatever I pleased, where my wifes input and decisions were not a fact, gave me room to appreciate what was at home, and miss her a great deal. What resulted, was a WHOLE day of the most amazing love making i've ever experienced. We made out like a couple of teenagers for litterally HOURS. I couldn't get enough of her, and any other petty issues that might be looming, seemed insignificant. A feeling I long for, and find it hard to imagine feeling now, when our daily lives are entangled together in daily routine issues.

To wrap that point, I now find myself looking forward to times away from home, and in the company of my friends and social life, more often than being at home, and intimate with my spouse. My question is, can a balance be found?

Another point I'd like to bring up, is in monogamy itself. I have no problem with being sexually dedicated to a single person - for as long as both desire it - not because they are married. But from a third-point observer, is this fighting an uphill battle against biology? Without entering things like religious, political, or philosophical teachings, which differ from person to person - human biology is the only common binder amongst ALL people. Is the attempt to be monogamous a fruitless quest? Though I love my wife dearly, and respect the trust between us immensely, my human desires, especially as a male, and attraction to the opposite sex has not dwindled. In fact, if anything, it becomes more intense over time - my theory being that my desire to be intimate with my wife, being numbed by the complacency experienced above. How about one's need for independence? As humans, it seems to me that we are designed to compete - in all areas. Without that exercise, we become lost in our minds and restless in our thoughts. The untold truth is that for nearly all time, man has been involved in extramarital affairs. In many cultures, it's almost expected. In our own, it happens under the table, and publically, is taboo; yet it happens, in staggering occurence!

How about marriage from a legal standpoint? Again, religious or political beliefs aside (i know they are important - not trying to ignore these, only trying to get to the common denominator) - what does legally binding yourself to someone gain you, that you didn't have already? Some might say that it is your solemn promise to stay together. First, based on what we observe, is this kind of promise even practical? Second, why do we need to legally bind ourselves to make this promise? Shouldn't that level of trust be there already, even if not practical? Does something change the day after you get married? Do you love someone more because you have legally bound yourself to them? And, it seems, it's this legal binding that ultimately creates havoc when a decision to leave the marriage (whether jointly or singly decided..). It's a field day for lawyers in the business, and, in my observation (again, welcoming any other point of view, or cases) magnifies an already tough situation.

Time and time again, we are observing the same thing - people fall in love, legally and/or religiously bind themselves together, only to face a high probability (the numbers don't lie) that it will end, for whatever reason. I find it very similar to mankinds attempt to create life, artificially. Living cells, are physically, and chemically quite simple. Yet despite all our knowledge and technology, we've been unable

I guess I'm finding myself studying this topic at great length mostly because of my parents case - what caused a perfectly happy, in my view, union to spiral so out of control? What does it mean for my own marriage? I too see the signs today, in my marriage that might, and likely will, lead to separation being the solution, despite the fact, that many would say I married the greatest, most giving woman on the planet, and our relationship is like a well-tuned machine. How could that possibly go wrong, and yet the early signs are there, as they are in many many other married couples that I know.

In light of all this, I'm not trying to be a gloom, or, have a bad attitude. I'm a curious scientist by nature, and long to find the solution, no matter how simple, crazy, unbelievable, or complex.

I have a theory, and I'm wondering what you all think of this:

Would it be better, for couples to, rather than marry and live together in the traditional sense, to instead, remain living independent from one another? To me the advantage would be:

1) The creation of some required balance and distance, enabling the couple to actually "miss" each other. Not knowing, all the time, what each other is doing, and where they are at creates a sense of "uncertainty" that itself enhances and amplifies passion for one another. Additionally, removes the "i'm sick of my roommate" factor.

2) The sensation of ones own independence. Though possibly economically more challenging, certainly offers the reward of self-accomplishment, as well as removes the possibility of one mate feeling "tied down" to the other. That's not to say that a couple can't help each other out - would I ever have given my love any amount of money, or resources that she needed, at any time when we dated? Of course I would!

3) The notion, that your monogamy is your own choice. Wouldn't a union between two people, be intensely beautiful, if it were being maintained by their own choice; knowing that they have their own independent lives, but choose to be together, rather than being 'legally contracted for life' to be together. There are some creatures, that simply can't be caged, no matter how large, or comfortable the cage is. It's still a cage. Might not the knowledge that you could leave, inconsequetially, at any time, by your own choices, remove the pressure, of being forced to be together, ultimately causing the end of the relationship?

I know the hard point I've missed here, is the prospect of raising children. How do you do it affectively, while living apart in western culture? Can it be done? Sure...does it always work? I don't know. This, my friends, is one of the holes in this theory. Many cultures, throughout history have lived this way very successfully - non-monogamous and communitively raising children. Not that western civilization is going to turn on that one overnight.

So, fellow readers, could this be a reasonable start, at explaining why so many marriages today end in divorce? Are we trying to maintain a tradition, that culturally, philisophically, and humanly isn't possible anymore? Am I a complete nut? Have I only realized what many already have?

I'll open the floor to all comments, suggestions, flames, and experiences...
companionship, is one thing that all humans need, some one to laugh with and some one to do the heimlich when you choke,someone to hear your gripes and complaints, some one to help you with decisions when your in need of another opinion. we all need some one i think.
0 Replies

JLLLLLL

indiana_jones wrote:
Hi all - apologies ahead of time if this gets to be a long post, but I'd really like to active feedback on some of the following.

I've been married now 5 years, to a wonderful woman that I met in college. We became friends over several years, then dated on and off for 3 years, and finally tied the knot after both of us ending our short-lived relationships with others.

From many other marriages I've seen, we really have worked out the petty details to a science. We both make great incomes and have solved the usual money issues, we know how to solve our other problems together, and we share many friends together. Sound like a blissful marriage?

For the most part it is, but recently many things have changed in my mind and I've spent the better part of the last several years thinking about marriage and society/culture as a whole and what it means.

Three years ago, my parents ended a 30 year marriage when my mother announced (at Thanksgiving no less) that she had been having affairs for nearly 10 years, and would be leaving my father to be with another man. My father and I were hit like a brick. It absolutely devastated my dad and he spent the better part of 2 years getting himself mentally back on his feet. Now, they remain friends, and have both moved on. They get along reasonably well, and even see each other on occasion.

But I digress; more to my point. Until the episode with my folks occurred, I never really thought about the future of my marriage, or others' marriages for that matter. Having come from a solid family, I naturally assumed I was "immune" to the troubles of the world and assumed my marriage would always have it's share of issues, but we would deal with them and blissfully move on.

However, I've begun to open my eyes a bit, and pay attention to what is happening in the world, in hopes that I might not be yet another blind sheep who follows the same footsteps and mistakes that have been made time and time again. What got me started was the sheer divorce statistics in this country. 50% of marriages end in divorce. Of the half that are left, 50% of those seem to want to divorce, but don't because of any number of reasons (children, religion, etc). The question I was forced to ask myself, is, what are we doing wrong as a society that makes so many people want to get out of marriage?

A few thoughts:
Have we, as a society, outgrown the ~need~ for marriage? Are we outwardly, and publicly trying to cling to a tradition, that, for most intents and purposes, isn't absolutely necessary anymore? Look at our culture, for the most part, people have the ability to live independently of each other these days. Jobs, homes, you name it, we all have the capability.

Also, when couples marry, the natural assumption is to live together (are there stats on couples that marry, but do NOT co-reside? I don't know, but I'd be interested). I realize there are many social, and especially economic advantages to living together, but does doing so, especially in today's culture, squash the love and desire out of us? Let me clarify. Name one roommate you've ever had that you didn't get sick of? I cannot. What makes us think, that our spouse would be immune to that affect? Daily routine, and little separation to me, seems to breed complacency. Complacency drowns out all of the sensation of "missing" someone, and voids the tiny bit of uncertainty in ones relationship that really stokes the fire of passion. Is one really willing to douse the fire of passion, in exchange for cheaper living?

I recall a recent conversation with my lovely spouse, where we both commented on how wonderful it was back when we lived separately, back when we were engaged, but separated by our independent lives and 250 miles. We both maintained our own lives, careers, and households, and were only able to see each other on the weekends. But what a feeling! I couldn't wait to see her, be with her, get intimate, and often drove in the wee hours of the night to do so! A feeling that would be hard to contemplate now!

The only other time I've felt this, since being married, is when I had traveled for two weeks on a trip with a friend. Being unable to see my wife, when I wanted, I began to miss her. Being "independent" and having the ability to go and do whatever I pleased, where my wifes input and decisions were not a fact, gave me room to appreciate what was at home, and miss her a great deal. What resulted, was a WHOLE day of the most amazing love making i've ever experienced. We made out like a couple of teenagers for litterally HOURS. I couldn't get enough of her, and any other petty issues that might be looming, seemed insignificant. A feeling I long for, and find it hard to imagine feeling now, when our daily lives are entangled together in daily routine issues.

To wrap that point, I now find myself looking forward to times away from home, and in the company of my friends and social life, more often than being at home, and intimate with my spouse. My question is, can a balance be found?

Another point I'd like to bring up, is in monogamy itself. I have no problem with being sexually dedicated to a single person - for as long as both desire it - not because they are married. But from a third-point observer, is this fighting an uphill battle against biology? Without entering things like religious, political, or philosophical teachings, which differ from person to person - human biology is the only common binder amongst ALL people. Is the attempt to be monogamous a fruitless quest? Though I love my wife dearly, and respect the trust between us immensely, my human desires, especially as a male, and attraction to the opposite sex has not dwindled. In fact, if anything, it becomes more intense over time - my theory being that my desire to be intimate with my wife, being numbed by the complacency experienced above. How about one's need for independence? As humans, it seems to me that we are designed to compete - in all areas. Without that exercise, we become lost in our minds and restless in our thoughts. The untold truth is that for nearly all time, man has been involved in extramarital affairs. In many cultures, it's almost expected. In our own, it happens under the table, and publically, is taboo; yet it happens, in staggering occurence!

How about marriage from a legal standpoint? Again, religious or political beliefs aside (i know they are important - not trying to ignore these, only trying to get to the common denominator) - what does legally binding yourself to someone gain you, that you didn't have already? Some might say that it is your solemn promise to stay together. First, based on what we observe, is this kind of promise even practical? Second, why do we need to legally bind ourselves to make this promise? Shouldn't that level of trust be there already, even if not practical? Does something change the day after you get married? Do you love someone more because you have legally bound yourself to them? And, it seems, it's this legal binding that ultimately creates havoc when a decision to leave the marriage (whether jointly or singly decided..). It's a field day for lawyers in the business, and, in my observation (again, welcoming any other point of view, or cases) magnifies an already tough situation.

Time and time again, we are observing the same thing - people fall in love, legally and/or religiously bind themselves together, only to face a high probability (the numbers don't lie) that it will end, for whatever reason. I find it very similar to mankinds attempt to create life, artificially. Living cells, are physically, and chemically quite simple. Yet despite all our knowledge and technology, we've been unable

I guess I'm finding myself studying this topic at great length mostly because of my parents case - what caused a perfectly happy, in my view, union to spiral so out of control? What does it mean for my own marriage? I too see the signs today, in my marriage that might, and likely will, lead to separation being the solution, despite the fact, that many would say I married the greatest, most giving woman on the planet, and our relationship is like a well-tuned machine. How could that possibly go wrong, and yet the early signs are there, as they are in many many other married couples that I know.

In light of all this, I'm not trying to be a gloom, or, have a bad attitude. I'm a curious scientist by nature, and long to find the solution, no matter how simple, crazy, unbelievable, or complex.

Would it be better, for couples to, rather than marry and live together in the traditional sense, to instead, remain living independent from one another? To me the advantage would be:

1) The creation of some required balance and distance, enabling the couple to actually "miss" each other. Not knowing, all the time, what each other is doing, and where they are at creates a sense of "uncertainty" that itself enhances and amplifies passion for one another. Additionally, removes the "i'm sick of my roommate" factor.

2) The sensation of ones own independence. Though possibly economically more challenging, certainly offers the reward of self-accomplishment, as well as removes the possibility of one mate feeling "tied down" to the other. That's not to say that a couple can't help each other out - would I ever have given my love any amount of money, or resources that she needed, at any time when we dated? Of course I would!

3) The notion, that your monogamy is your own choice. Wouldn't a union between two people, be intensely beautiful, if it were being maintained by their own choice; knowing that they have their own independent lives, but choose to be together, rather than being 'legally contracted for life' to be together. There are some creatures, that simply can't be caged, no matter how large, or comfortable the cage is. It's still a cage. Might not the knowledge that you could leave, inconsequetially, at any time, by your own choices, remove the pressure, of being forced to be together, ultimately causing the end of the relationship?

I know the hard point I've missed here, is the prospect of raising children. How do you do it affectively, while living apart in western culture? Can it be done? Sure...does it always work? I don't know. This, my friends, is one of the holes in this theory. Many cultures, throughout history have lived this way very successfully - non-monogamous and communitively raising children. Not that western civilization is going to turn on that one overnight.

So, fellow readers, could this be a reasonable start, at explaining why so many marriages today end in divorce? Are we trying to maintain a tradition, that culturally, philisophically, and humanly isn't possible anymore? Am I a complete nut? Have I only realized what many already have?

companionship, is one thing that all humans need, some one to laugh with and some one to do the heimlich when you choke,someone to hear your gripes and complaints, some one to help you with decisions when your in need of another opinion. we all need some one i think.
0 Replies

JLLLLLL

indiana_jones wrote:

A few thoughts:

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:45 pm
Bookmarking..
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:15 pm
There are no guarantees in life. A bit of a different analogy here, but bear with me and see what I mean....

In the United States there are approximately 3 million auto accident injuries per year resulting in 2 million permanent injuries and 40,000 deaths per year. In 2001, over 75,000 people were seriously injured in car accidents in the state of California alone.

In California and throughout the United States, car accidents are a leading cause of injury and death in all age groups. Car accidents are the leading reason of death for people below the age of 34. According to auto industry statistics, a person is involved in at least one car accident during their lifetime.

Now, does knowing statistically that you will be in at least one car accident in your lifetime stop you from driving your car? Or do you not ever drive or ever ride in a motorized vehicle of any sort because your fear of statistics holds you back? I seriously doubt that.

Almost ALL of us take some type of chance every single day, whether it be that car ride or that marriage. Sometimes those chances or risks, like being involved in a car accident are not even ours to make, likening it to a person who runs a red light and blindsides you to a person, as your mother, who announced this stunning, albeit heartbreaking revelation that blindsided you and your father.

I believe it was soz who spoke of self fulfilling prophecies. And you know, these can be bad, but they can also be good. I think perhaps you have allowed the demise of your own parents marriage to cloud your thoughts on the prophecy of your own unhappy or happy outcome and are searching for exaggerated problems where there may be only small ones. I see you looking at the "what if my marriage fails!", rather than "what if my marriage thrives!"

Granted, the death of a relationship is very, very much like the death of a person. Especially if it is unexpected. We are shocked and stunned it seems so unbelievable! We grieve and we mourn and we begin a deeper look into our own lives and mortalities and choices we have made. Both types of death evoke almost identical psychological and emotional responses in humans.

The only thing of value I can leave you with and you can take it or leave it, is a song.

The Dance
~ Garth Brooks

Lookin' back on the memories of
the dance we shared beneath the stars above.
For a moment, all the world was right.
How could I've known that you'd ever say 'good bye?'

And now, I'm glad I didn't know the way it all would end
the way it all would go.
And our lives are better left to chance.
I could have missed the pain, but I'd've had to miss the dance.

Holdin' you, I've held everything.
For a moment, wasn't I the king?
But if I'd only known how the king would fall,
Hey, who's to say, you know, I might have changed it all.

And now, I'm glad I didn't know the way it all would end
the way it all would go.
And our lives are better left to chance.

Yes, my life is better left to chance.
0 Replies

shelliknowsbest

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 06:30 pm
I have to come to question the meaning of marriage in our society.

We don't seem to "need" it as much as we used to, and frankly it does seem to cage people in which ends up dwindling their desires.

The most beautiful relationships I have ever had were none at all... free and fun, and this is how I have come to wish they all could be.

I do believe that we are polygamous by nature and that monogamy doesn't necessarily follow natures plan, but that doesn't mean we should go out there and all be "loose". There is a fine line with careful circumstance that brings freedom and love together. There however will always be the green little monster, jealousy of course, which may cause more anger in "free relationships" than in marriages. This is a touchy subject... did I even make any progress with this, lol ?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 12:16 pm
Shelliknowsbest--

What about children?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 06:07 pm
Noddy, what about children?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 06:49 pm
First of all, this is a great topic.

sozobe wrote:
What I found more interesting is that for college graduates, the rate was much lower. Something like 10%. Let me go try to find it...

Ok, so the stats are somewhat fuzzy here...from this article it seems that the number is somewhere between 10 and 25%, but that is a much better figure than 50%, eh?

indiana guy wrote:
Name one roommate you've ever had that you didn't get sick of? I cannot. What makes us think, that our spouse would be immune to that affect?

Yeah, I can't either. At least not people that I have lived with for more than a couple months. I have had 4 different roommates due to internships and those all became friendships. But all my actual roommates, friends that I chose to live with, all those friendships were pretty much ruined by living together...even though in many cases I had spent at least a year as next door neighbors prior to that. So I think you make a good point...and I don't agree with Soz that sex just eliminates that issue.

Jack Webbs wrote:
I believe it is good when the girl is 18 and the guy is 22.....1 life, 1 marriage is what I say. At least that is the way I see it.......Actually I liked them [my kids] alright, at least before they became teen agers but to say I loved them, at anytime would be stretching the truth.

Those are 3 very distinguished quotes you have made. The first one just sounds ridiculous especially when combined with the second. The third one is just ridiculous all on its own. You seem to be happy with your choices in life but it doesn't seem to me that you have really experienced things the best way. Get married early...have fun while you're young...have kids, don't love them...get divorced, and grow old? Honestly, that sounds like ****. I hope this doesn't happen to me.

It is not so ridiculous that people would want children. Most people love their children. It is a biological instinct that you are apparently lacking. You should not have had children if you weren't going to love them, I find that to be most cruel. I understand it happening once, but I believe you said you had...6 children? And you love none of them? Well, I know that if I have any children, I will love them no matter what, even if they turn out to be just lumps of mud.

Indiana guy,

You and your wife clearly don't have children. I think that your proposition of living separately is reasonable for a childless family, but it would be more difficult if children were involved. My first reaction is to say it simply wouldn't work. However, my parents were divorced when I was 4, leading me to grow up being swapped between households...and why couldn't a married couple do this too? Well this way you would get the same excitement from seeing your kid as you would from seeing your spouse. I'm sure there would be problems, too...for instance, the kid might take an affinity to one parent and hate the other until it grew up. That would be awkward.

Another thing to consider is that once children are into the mix, you're not going to get as much time with your wife. That could create a kind of virtual separation between the two of you similar to living apart even when you're living together, and it might produce the same positive effect that you describe. In addition, with the two of you working with the challenge of raising the little SOB together, I think that would create an additional bond between the two of you -- like a strongly shared common hobby.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 07:56 pm
This is from a long time ago, I had to go looking to figure out what stuh meant by this:

stuh505 wrote:
I don't agree with Soz that sex just eliminates that issue.

Seems to be this section:

sozobe wrote:

indiana guy wrote:
Name one roommate you've ever had that you didn't get sick of? I cannot. What makes us think, that our spouse would be immune to that affect?

Sex. The great social lubricant.

It doesn't "just eliminate" the issue, at all. But I do think that sex helps a lot. And that's all I'm saying.

As in, obviously, not every couple is immune from being sick of each other. Obviously, 10% or 25% (if not 50%) of all marriages break up -- I'm not claiming for an instant that people who have sex will automatically love each other -- AND love to be with each other -- forever.

I'm just saying that the fact that roommates drive you crazy doesn't mean that a spouse will automatically drive you crazy. Every platonic roommate I've had drove me crazy, but I'm happy to live with my husband.

Obviously there are more reasons for that than just sex. But I wasn't totally kidding with "the great social lubricant" part. Ask the Bonobos.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 10:38 pm
Well, here's my question: Why SHOULD marriage be for life? Is this religious-based or what?

People grow and sometimes they grow up or grow apart. Divorce isn't necessarily a bad thing; sometimes it's the only answer.

Why should we be expected to choose a career or a spouse and have only the one forever?

If you're no longer enamoured with your partner, there should be no shame in moving on.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 11:00 pm
I agree with you 100% I'll add relationship duration is not proportional to success de facto.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 11:10 pm
I suspect this won't be a popular position.

By the way, are you married?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies