Is masturbation evil?

watchmakers guidedog

Wed 20 Apr, 2005 11:48 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Because rape isn't about sex or getting off. It's about control and power over another person.

Sorry, but if one thinks logically this is clearly not true.

There are many ways in which one can demonstrate or exert power over another. Leaving aside subtle taunts or power games let's focus for a moment on the closest analogue to rape that doesn't involve sex, physical assault.

Physical assault clearly demonstrates and exerts control and power over another. One can extort money, fear, respect and other benefits from such an act (the schoolyard shows some great examples of this... I use the word great losely).

Were the act merely about control and power then the victim would merely be physically assaulted. The involvement of sex within the assault indicates three possibilities.

1) The person has sexually issues which they are unleashing (for example responding to a rebuff of a sexual advance by getting "what they deserve" or "revenge").

2) The person is sexually frustrated and taking advantage of the situation of an assault or creating the situation of an assault to demand relief of their frustrations (this may dovetale into #1).

3) Within the agressor a tie exists inbetween sexual arrousal and dominance and control. Thus causing them to either, A) Become arroused during a physical assault thus causing it to progress into a rape or B) With forethought physically assault someone in order to experience control therefore sexual arrousal and releave that sexual arrousal in a fashion they find pleasing (Note: This can also dovetale into both #1 and #2)

We very commonly hear the claim that rape "isn't about sex" in everyday society however I don't believe it's accurate for the reasons I've shown above.
0 Replies

agrote

Thu 21 Apr, 2005 08:03 am
watchmakers guidedog wrote:
We very commonly hear the claim that rape "isn't about sex" in everyday society however I don't believe it's accurate for the reasons I've shown above.

I agree. I've heard it said many times that rape is only about power and control, and not sex. But as you say, if it wasn't at all about sex, then rapists would use their fists instead of their genitalia.

Bella, if I didn't masturbate, I'd be a rapist.
0 Replies

booman2

Fri 22 Apr, 2005 04:31 pm
Yeah Bella,
What they said. Smile
0 Replies

fredjones

Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:59 am
I would much rather be assaulted physically than raped. I don't know about everyone else, but there aren't many things that would scar me worse than that. Plus it would ruin any successive sexual experience I might have. I would say maybe even most of the time it is just getting off, but the sick rapists do use it for control. That doesn't seem too far off to me.
0 Replies

agrote

Mon 25 Apr, 2005 04:33 am
fredjones wrote:
I would much rather be assaulted physically than raped. I don't know about everyone else, but there aren't many things that would scar me worse than that. Plus it would ruin any successive sexual experience I might have. I would say maybe even most of the time it is just getting off, but the sick rapists do use it for control. That doesn't seem too far off to me.

Yes, I definitely agree - power and control defintitely come into it. But obviously sex also comes into it - since it is after all a sexual act.
0 Replies

Eorl

Tue 26 Apr, 2005 04:53 am
I think some rapes are about control, some rapes are about pure sex, some are about lack of self-control, some are about humiliation, some are about reminding your wife of her duty, some are about proving you are "bad" enough to join the gang, some are essentially punishment some-one else actually "earned" and some are about God telling you to do it because it is his plan to create the next Jesus.

And for agrote, yeah some rapes are caused by a sudden rebellion against religious restraints.....

...and some are done in the name of God and even Justice.
0 Replies

agrote

Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:47 am
Eorl wrote:
And for agrote, yeah some rapes are caused by a sudden rebellion against religious restraints.....

What?
0 Replies

Eorl

Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:27 pm
agrote wrote:
if I didn't masturbate, I'd be a rapist.

Sorry agrote, I was just suggesting that being prevented from masterbating (by the fear of gods wrath) could certainly "cause" rapes to occur.

I was supporting your point rather than suggesting you might be such an example!

Sorry about the misunderstanding. Confused
0 Replies

agrote

Wed 27 Apr, 2005 04:07 am
Eorl wrote:
agrote wrote:
if I didn't masturbate, I'd be a rapist.

Sorry agrote, I was just suggesting that being prevented from masterbating (by the fear of gods wrath) could certainly "cause" rapes to occur.

I was supporting your point rather than suggesting you might be such an example!

Sorry about the misunderstanding. Confused

Haha, okay, fair enough.
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 27 Apr, 2005 10:31 am
I wouldn't even try to tell you I have never masturbated. Heck, I was born before the years had numbers; I've had plenty of time to live and learn. I speak for men and can only opine about women.

I submit that masturbation is a harmful practice. Think about it: what goes through your mind while beating the chicken? your term paper on the industrial revolution? Hah! Don't tell me; I think I already know. I submit that 99.99% of masturbation fantasies involve adultery or fornication. (Or worse, rape)

So, what's so bad about that? Well, there are few things more pleasurable than orgasm; and here you are rewarding your adulterous thoughts with this powerful climax. Remember what Jesus said about those who even think about adultery? What would he say to those who embellish their thoughts with prestidigitation?

I suggest if you are a habitual masturbator, you should try to find some other outlets for your energy. I'd suggest talking to your priest, but, well, you know. . .
0 Replies

Lewellyn

Wed 27 Apr, 2005 06:19 pm
That is plain nonsense. Masturbation is not a harmful practice. die man moet sy kop gaan laat lees !
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 27 Apr, 2005 07:59 pm
Welcome to the forum and thank you Llewellyn, for your well documented reply.
0 Replies

husker

Wed 27 Apr, 2005 08:42 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
http://teknesia.com/images/EveryTimeYouMasturbateGodKillsAKitten_THUMB.jpg

C'mon, people. Masturbation is about as "evil" as taking a shower. I don't know how there's any other side, unless you're referring to the greatest fiction ever written.

You're frickin' touching your SELF!

Slappy - I didn't know you were an author
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:13 am
Masturbation has probably done more good for the world than any other human endeavor.
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:20 am
It certainly would have been better for us all if the religious leaders had spent their time at prestidigitation instead of hocus pocus.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:41 am
Catholics call masturbation, "abusing one's self." A male friend of mine said it took him a few years before he realized that when the priest spoke of self-abuse, he meant masturbation. Every time a priest spoke of abusing one's self, my friend would think, "Why would anybody want to do that?" To him, self-abuse was cutting or pinching one's self.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:59 am
Husker, that's hilarious.
0 Replies

smorgs

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:05 am
Onanism - love it!!!:wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:28 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Because rape isn't about sex or getting off. It's about control and power over another person.

Sorry, but if one thinks logically this is clearly not true.

There are many ways in which one can demonstrate or exert power over another. Leaving aside subtle taunts or power games let's focus for a moment on the closest analogue to rape that doesn't involve sex, physical assault.

Physical assault clearly demonstrates and exerts control and power over another. One can extort money, fear, respect and other benefits from such an act (the schoolyard shows some great examples of this... I use the word great losely).

Were the act merely about control and power then the victim would merely be physically assaulted. The involvement of sex within the assault indicates three possibilities.

1) The person has sexually issues which they are unleashing (for example responding to a rebuff of a sexual advance by getting "what they deserve" or "revenge").

2) The person is sexually frustrated and taking advantage of the situation of an assault or creating the situation of an assault to demand relief of their frustrations (this may dovetale into #1).

3) Within the agressor a tie exists inbetween sexual arrousal and dominance and control. Thus causing them to either, A) Become arroused during a physical assault thus causing it to progress into a rape or B) With forethought physically assault someone in order to experience control therefore sexual arrousal and releave that sexual arrousal in a fashion they find pleasing (Note: This can also dovetale into both #1 and #2)

You've obviously never been raped or known someone who was.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:29 am
agrote wrote:

I agree. I've heard it said many times that rape is only about power and control, and not sex. But as you say, if it wasn't at all about sex, then rapists would use their fists instead of their genitalia.

Bella, if I didn't masturbate, I'd be a rapist.

Again, obviously you've never been raped or known someone who was.
0 Replies